Donate this unit

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by aragami_frog, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Bhruic

Bhruic Emperor

Just a FYI, but Vassals count as teammates for conquest victories (or, to put it differently, you can win a conquest victory with live Vassals).

Bh

2. Silence101

Silence101 King

Gifting units is a fun way to fight wars indirectly by proxy when two other nations are at war and you want one of them to win... just don't gift too many.

3. zeolite

zeolite Chieftain

A point regarding the "realism" of the AI not being grateful for donated units: do you think Iran shows gratitude to the US for the weapons, training, etc. it provided them with when they were defending against the U.S.S.R. in the 1970's? If you could measure diplomacy between the two countries (in terms of "+1 you gave us aid") these gifts would probably not appear in there at all. Just my two cents.

4. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

As for realism, is the entire world still at -6 you declared war on us with Germany? What about France and America retaining a +4 Our mutual military struggle? The game should never be mirrored against real life when it comes to discussing balance. :p

In reality, we humans are playing a game. I think the AI should see it that way too. And base its modifiers on that idea.

5. L4zXX0r

L4zXX0r Warlord

^^ Yeah Native America is still giving the United States -564352345243 for razing their cities.

6. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

ROFL. :lol: Exactly.

7. Swedishguy

Swedishguy Deity

I give a warrior or two to my vassals. They upgrade it to a rifleman and fight my enemies. Gotta love it.

8. Steve the Noble

Steve the Noble Noble

I'll donate units in team games, but usually just as a way to pawn off obsolete units (like archers) when I'm busy building new units (like riflemen).

But during my current team game I attempted to donate an old unit to Ghandi, but the donate button was greyed-out. The mouse-over explanation said that Ghandi would not accept my gift. I didn't know that was possible!

I wonder why he would refuse a gift? If he didn't want it, he could just disband it.

9. algonacy

algonacy Chieftain

I'm embarrassed to say in a bad start game I just played I had China gift me a technology when I was about 15 behind them. I've never seen that before! The screen popped up at the start of a turn and I thought it was one of those annoying DEMAND something screens and not paying attention I almost clicked NO WAY. Anyway, upon further review it was clear that he was gifting me a tech and not demanding one. I think it was astronomy. He said something about he thought I could use this. That all happened about 20 turns before I quit the game because I was about to be overrun.

10. Zenon_pt

Zenon_pt Civing on the real world

Heres a question:
    What happens if you donate a unique unit?
    Converts as a 'normal unit' or it's keeps the u.u.???
    Like a german panzer? Still panzer or it'll convert in to a tank?

11. Swedishguy

Swedishguy Deity

It's still an unique unit.

12. ChicagoCubs

ChicagoCubs Prince

Units that I gift frequently:

--Scouts once I am done with them. It clears up some upkeep, and I don't have to march them all the way back.

--Missionaries after the civ changes to my religion. I'll target the major cities for conversion, and if I have extra missionaries en route, I'll just gift them and let the AI worry about spreading the religion.

--Captured workers. Usually my workers from the core are engouh to satisfy my needs; therefore, I'll gift the others and let the AI decide if it wants to keep them.

I rarely gift military units. The once memorable game was one of my first BtS games. Only one civ was friendly with me. I had just finished a war and my units were marching across my friend's territory when another AI declared on it. I gifted some of my units (slightly outdated) and kept some others to assist in the war efforts while I produced new and improved units at home.

13. Tully Bascombe

Tully Bascombe Chieftain

I have, rarely, donated military units. As with other players, I do so to support a proxy in a war against a common foe.

I have noticed that I get a "Our trade relations have been fair and forthright" bonus. The number of units required to get a +1 or +2 bonus seems to vary with the civ receiving the unit and perhaps the technology level of the units I donate. But I think 4 is the lowest number of units I needed to donate to get the bonus.

14. Solid

Solid Chieftain

I doite every now and then when I feel like it. To a friendly civ that could use some units.

Once I gifted the wrong galley to Mansa by Accident. I had two, one empty and one with a Settler and archer. Been looking for some island to colonize, not much land in that game as I recall. Well I only gifted the galley, not the settler or archer, but I coudn´t get them of the boat. Mansa took me around the world, and in to my worst enemies waters: I had those units merrely floating in the sea for about 2 000 years....