Download Thread

Note, though, if you fancy making a modmod or something like that... give me a shout, I have a couple unfinished art assets.

I didn't had time and motivation to fully finish them during 2010, afterwards, my schedule freed up a bit, but the development stopped. The Civ4 modding community is a lot less active after Civ5's launch as well, so I never saw a real point in finishing/releasing them. If you need or want them, I had a reason to work on them... (would probably take some weeks, though, I would have to relearn how to use some modding tools).

They're not much assets, though, they are:
  • Unity Rover (model+texture done, no animations yet)
  • Rover (model+texture done, no animations yet)
  • Cult city set (1x1 and 1x2 buildings mostly done, need 2 more 1x1 and 2x2 buildings, need ground texture)
  • Human-style dimension gate (model finished, texture needs work)
  • Generic reactor/science building (model finished, texture needs work)

Cheers, LT.

Cool. I'd certainly include them in a patch. Because the Civ5 DLL code still hasn't been released, and because I'm finding the PBEM very fun, I'm almost getting an itch to do some Planetfall modding again.

Word! :rockon:

Cool. I'd certainly include them in a patch. Because the Civ5 DLL code still hasn't been released, and because I'm finding the PBEM very fun, I'm almost getting an itch to do some Planetfall modding again.
Hey, cool to hear. Since there's some interesting, I'm going to show what I have around at the moment - as you can see the rovers are complete (sans animation, as mentioned before), the rest definitely needs some work. There's also a science/reactor building, but it looks even more boring without a decent texture. :p

Cheers, LT.

Attachments

• wips.jpg
    wips.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 262
Great to see you post. :goodjob:

Having your Cult buildings included in their cityset would be great. :goodjob:

I have no idea anymore if we still need graphics for any of the normal buildings, but even if they are already all filled, IIRC most secret projects use the same graphic. So an extra science building is always welcome. :)

Regarding the rovers though... :scared: Personally I feel SMAC's (Unity) Rover design is one of SMAC's most iconic designs, like for instance the Colony Pod and Former are. I'd hate to deviate from it too much. Its sharp nose, its cockpit and its open tires with presumably strong suspension truly give me the impression of a light all-terrain exploration vehicle. By contrast, your model almost looks like a normal road car to me. We have the option to have the unit graphics vary with special abilities, so we can always put extra models to use, but myself I'd prefer not to use it as the standard model.

The current (unity) rover models certainly aren't perfect though. The unity rover texture is kinda basic, and neither model has animations. So the rover could use some love. I'd rather have the improvements be made to a model of SMAC's iconic design however.

I'd rather have the improvements be made to a model of SMAC's iconic design however.
Oh, I do agree with your opinion - that is in fact one of the reasons why I never touched the rover back then.

On the one hand, the SMAC rover design looks fast and has a bit of "moon buggy" feel. On the other hand, I felt it would make more sense to have a kind of jeep (or well, rover) as something the Unity would carry along (and having early designs based on that). It also lacks a bit of "sturdiness", especially the unarmoured version.

I don't quite remember what went into the design of this model, but I think I tried to start out with a jeep and tried to make it more streamlined like the SMAC rover. Of course, lots of street cars are designed pretty much like this...

Well, back to the drawing board (which is a nice change of pace to do that again!). :)

EDIT: On that note, does anybody happen to have a bigger picture or render of the (unarmoured) SMAC rover as reference?

Cheers, LT.

Well, back to the drawing board (which is a nice change of pace to do that again!). :)
On that note, I've made a model and a basic texture of something that is closer to the SMAC rover design (I made it a bit "beefier"... I think I channelled some bits of Mass Effect's Mako design as well as the Batman tumbler design into it, filled the reactor section with sort of a cargo/stuff compartment and put on a basic texture for the moment - used some new techniques I've picked up since last year, though) - might still be too far away from the iconic design, but it's hard for me to tell off-hand, I could need a cross-check... any opinions?

(one of the reasons why I don't start with the current rover model is that it is kinda messed up in placed, can't fix that at the moment)

Cheers, LT.

Attachments

• NewRoverTest.jpg
    NewRoverTest.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 261
Looks pretty neat.
Perhaps a bit too much of a sportscar look (streamlined in the front part)?

Version 16 of Planetfall, the Alpha Centauri total conversion mod for Civ4 BtS, has been released. This new version will break save games from previous versions.

Don't forget to reapply the SMAC fx and voices folder, and the movie files. A new version creates a new mod folder after all.

Changelog:

Spoiler :
1. Cult cityset added, by Lord Tirian.
2. New Unity Rover and Rover graphics added, by Lord Tirian.
3. Size of the Angel Expansion+ era HQ has been reduced. Thanks to GeoModder for the heads-up.
4. The Ice feature provides freshwater to adjacent bases.

Attachments

• cultcity_ingame.jpg
    cultcity_ingame.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 776
  • rovers.jpg
    rovers.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 676
  • cultview1_E5c.jpg
    cultview1_E5c.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 742
Holy crap, just as I decide to finally uninstall v14 and go to v15, you post v16. Thank you.

By the way, the reason why I stuck to v14 until now is because I had worked quite a bit on the German translation (adding missing quotes for technologies, translating all the flavour text for "who is the most powerful", "who is the most technologically advanced" etc blurbs, building names like e.g. Marine Academy etc). I'm gonna have to reapply all that to the new txt files now, but at least it's just copy and paste now.

Hi Martin Santiago, welcome to the forums.

I *think* none of the text in v16 is changed, as it looks like a (sofar) graphics-only update. Dunno about the difference between v14 and v15 though... :scared:

Thank you for the welcome.

Yep, I don't know whether there were any changes to assets/XML/text between 14 and 15, either, which is why I didn't want to just replace the txt files with my versions.

I'm almost done with implementing the changes into v16, though. Just a few more techquotes and some general stuff.

Will this work with Civ 4 Complete?

If so, do the files transfer the same as is indicated on the first page of the thread?

I can confirm that the mod works fine on Civ4 Complete.

I do not understant the second half of your post though, jboyett. Everything is absolutely the same, if that is what you were asking.

Thank you all.

@ Nevill - Since the first post on this thread is over 6 years old, and the Mod is on v16, I wasn't sure if the process had changed. Thank you for answering.

I have a question about the movie files. The first post contains four links for the movie files and states that details will follow in the FAQ. The FAQ has details for the SMAC sound files but not the movie files. So my questions are as follow:

1) How does one add movie files to the scenario folder?
2) Can the files be transferred directly from SMAC folder, or must they be downloaded?

Q: Where do I need to place and extract the BIK movie files I just downloaded?

A: You need to place them in Beyond the Sword/Mods/Planetfall v1x/Assets/Art/Movies. The files have been archived into .rar format, so you'll probably need WinRAR to extract them.

7zip works as well.

Top Bottom