• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Downside of 1upt

Group move is stupid and it wont be in, it works fine if you are not limited to the amount of units in a tile, or if you dont have tiles at all, but limited positions in tiles means that group moving is out.

Just face facts you will have to move your MASSIVE army of like 15 units one at a time.

Group move is stupid and it wont be in, it works fine if you are not limited to the amount of units in a tile, or if you dont have tiles at all, but limited positions in tiles means that group moving is out.

Just face facts you will have to move your MASSIVE army of like 15 units one at a time.

I don't get why this would stop group movement? You choose all the troops in certain area and order them to move one hex in some direction. When they are chosen they all move the same direction and if one or two of them can't do that. You can then decide where to move those or even swap with some units that could move to make the front line better. If you mean some stacked group movement then I can understand that but I'm quite sure there will be some option to move troops in group/formation.

Because, one unit could be moved into a mountain, and then what it cant move into the mountain so would the whole move be cancelled or just the one unit, what if realising you cant move into the mountain you would have moved everyone differently.

Basically, it just doesnt work because of all the variation. Group moves worked fine before because it was simple. If one could do it, all the group could.

Also we don't really need it anymore, we wont have massive armies, not at all, very small ones in fact, and the need to move them all as a group is really limited.

That's something which might become an issue for naval movements, btw.

an ai group move would be pretty simple actually, select all units or select group x, assemble here, click, they all move there and try to get as close as they can to the assembly point.

Imagine a robot playing a game of bowls trying to throw his "army" of bowls as close as possible to that centre ball.

It can work, however any person who has been playing for any reasonable amount of time would rather do it manually. A single mess-up compared to what I wanted would be enough for me to never trust the group move again.

Because, one unit could be moved into a mountain, and then what it cant move into the mountain so would the whole move be cancelled or just the one unit, what if realising you cant move into the mountain you would have moved everyone differently.

Basically, it just doesnt work because of all the variation. Group moves worked fine before because it was simple. If one could do it, all the group could.

Also we don't really need it anymore, we wont have massive armies, not at all, very small ones in fact, and the need to move them all as a group is really limited.

Yes and in thatkind of situation it could ask if you want to move the other units anyway as the one unit can't move or even order them move in different order like make one step back another take its place or something like that. We don't know whatkind of group move there might be in the game and stating that it can't be done doesn't make it so. It's just your own opinion. Its still quite easy to do also how do we even know if when you move a group you could plan how the whole group moves and they move the same time so you would not really have to move all of them one by one. That might be quite easy to do on the strategic view. I would believe that the game has formation posibilities that make certain group of units take the formation you order them to do. I myself would be quite suprised if there is no way to move group of units.

The mechanics still work with huge maps, as long as the designers make sure it scales properly. Choke points might be 3 spaces wide rather than 1, but if the other fronts are also increasing by a factor of 3, and the number of units on the table has increased by a factor of 3 or more, it's still a very valuable choke point. It just requires more units to clog.

The reason I like huge maps isn't the "epic empire" feel. Instead, it's that in small games, one front could be the whole war and it collapsing will lose you the game. In a medium or large game, there's multiple areas, and while one could be lost, another could be won, leading to a much more dynamic game with more give and take. There will always be a big map for the junkies out there.

The mechanic that changes the most from small to big maps is the importance of individual cities. On small maps, losing one city is game changing because your empire only has 3-6. On big maps some cities feel more like wartime outposts that only serve to increase your culture border and have walls, which is a really really cool feeling in a war. Now if only the AI was just as smart and created specialized cities like that!

I'd like to try to respond kindly again to a couple of things.

First, just some general thoughts about huge maps. Because I've said this before or anyway it's still true - I really love huge maps and am a big fan.

Now, I'm not trying to say civ 5 won't even have a possibility of bigger maps, but what is true, is that the game balance is bound to change, and it certainly is NOT being balanced around larger maps. In civ 4 there are even significant differences - there's actually sizable contingents of people who hate anything longer than normal speed which makes larger maps about impossible but I'd not go there. However, there are clearly many things changed on larger maps anyway that make for huge changes in the relative strengths of various civilizations and strategies - barbarians, cost of technology research, expansion (in civ 4, think of the effects of creative/imperialistic).

So when we look at civ 5, what I am seeing is a ton of mechanics that simply wouldn't make sense on a map with a couple hundred cities. Would we expect a huge map to fill up with like 50 city-states - surely that is crazy and would be annoying. Barbarians are at least far more omnipresent and threatening, or that's what we'd expect - but we don't really know if this actually is going to scale well on civ 5's map sizes and game speeds. Most certainly expansion, getting more tiles and cities and so on will be at the same rate in the early game regardless of map size, and it's hard to adjust other factors to account for that (again, civ 4 as an example changes tech and maintenance costs, but these really do not actually scale the best). And when we look at diplomacy - well, tech trading alone and some factors like religions had MASSIVE effects in civ 4, and I don't know what will take the place of important things in civ 5 in a game that actually has a lot of civilizations - a whole other continent with its own internal politics is different from a standard map "I have two neighbors and then a couple more civs just a little further away"

Then, as has already been pointed out - the mechanics which focus on "capital cities" - many of the social policies, the domination and cultural victory conditions changed, and more, just drastically don't scale to larger gameworlds.

And of course, I don't see a way around the fact that on a huge map combat will be more tedious in civ 5. Having to move 50 or 100 or more units, on a one-unit-per-tile basis, is just not something I think most people would relish, and certainly would be far more time consuming that civ 4 or previous versions. (I say again and again that 1upt is clearly better designed and realized for smaller maps but people keep disagreeing so I'm not going to try again here)

I hope things work out, but really - I think we're waiting for proof that civ 5 will work on larger/different map sizes, there is already sufficient reason to discuss the other way around.

I can understand that people don't want civ to become a war game. But I honestly can't understand how people could say that stacks offer more strategic options than 1upt would offer

I wanted to answer this again, because this is the core point of the most important and best argument I can make here. And I actually don't see a lot of other people suggesting this, however I've been trying to get the point across every time.

In my opinion, on the same level/scale of play, 1 unit per tile definitely will result in more complex and tactical combat. Moving big stacks around is simpler, not as tactical. I agree with that, I accept all of that - in short, that is NOT the problem with 1upt.

The reason 1upt could be BAD (!!!!!) is because it detracts from the non-combat aspects of the rest of the game. In my opinion, combat in civilization should strive as much as possible to NOT depend on minutae of tactical situations. Going to and fighting a war, as a strategic decision - as in, what do you do with the economy, how do you get other civs to ally, what do you aim to get out of the war - that should be the important part. The more important it becomes to micromanage and move units around chokepoints, pull off various maneuvers to trick the AI and so on, the less important the other affects of war will be. Lastly and most simply of course, I still adamantly believe the AI will not be something miraculous that will make it exceptionally fun to wage war against an AI you should be able to crush in tactics anyway.

Like I said, I don't know if 1upt is a better mechanism logically or not, but I somehow doubt that the vast majority of users get their jollys from 10 minute turns waiting for hundreds of units in SoD to make their moves.

In fact, I'd say the single biggest flaw with Civ4 is turn length being so long due to this. It drives you crazy and it is part of what makes the late game such a pain.

Edit: also wanted to mention this, because it annoys me to no end. So look:

The total number of units to move around has about *nothing to do with one-unit-per-tile* This is entirely a result of other aspects of the game - the cost of units and the economy of your empire, and of course importantly, the size of the maps you are playing on. I just can't stand comflating things any more, when

-half the people arguing 1upt are assuming that maps will be smaller, and assuming things about economies or technology or diplomacy or whatever that makes for small-scale, tactical combat (which I agree, we will see, but this is not all because of just 1upt)
-The other half are calling me crazy for saying it is balanced for smaller maps or the other reasons why the 1upt system will encourage certain setups and gameplay.

I know they are not the same people, people are not necessarily contradicting themselves, but we can't have it both ways. And imo, the right decision is to consider 1upt on its own, not make it entirely related to maps or unit upkeep or so on. Because, civilization 4 can and has been modded in ways that certainly adjust or eliminate the problem of "too many units" but it doesn't require getting rid of stacks, so the analogy should hold for civilization 5. What we should really hope for is that 1 unit per tile still works on different scales and to different styles of gameplay, without having to assume small scale/tactical wars with neighboring civs or something as we seen in most examples right now.

Heh, well, I using the wrong spelling of effect/affect again :mad:

But I know I will argue a lot on certain viewpoints about the game, and again I think part of the confusion is, there are dozens if not hundreds of posters who have weighed in, so they might not know what someone really wants/hope to see and in particular has actually said in the past.

And you said this in another thread - I think everyone is just a bit disappointed with 2K/Firaxis on what we know. Considering this is a major/serious fansite, and people want to know more. (And I personally have and want nothing to do with Steam/DLC arguments, I'm fortunate in that Steam will never be a problem for me, but I don't want to be involved with that problem).

I'm going to get civ 5 and hopefully enjoy it, and I do think it will be a successful game and fun and novel in various ways. However I don't think it will match up with the playstyle I (and some others of course, different strokes for everyone) preferred in civ 4/civ 3/previous versions, which is why it's good we still have those, and many mods and much more around I guess.

I can agree with that. Civ4 coupled with around 5 years of thorough modding and two expansion packs is going to be hard for civ5 to compete with. It will be best to approach it as a different game rather than making endless comparisons to civ4. Many experienced civ4 modders are still hard at work and at least some of them don't look like they're about to jump ship and abandon civ4.

Consider: There are 192 people currently browsing the civ4 Creation and Customization part of the forum compared with 76 in the civ5 general forum and 70 in the civ4 general forum.

Whatever happens with civ5, it's comforting to know there is modded civ4 to fall back on. :)

Earthling said:
And you said this in another thread - I think everyone is just a bit disappointed with 2K/Firaxis on what we know. Considering this is a major/serious fansite, and people want to know more. (And I personally have and want nothing to do with Steam/DLC arguments, I'm fortunate in that Steam will never be a problem for me, but I don't want to be involved with that problem).
I agree completely. When there's new information, the fan base starts with the immediate ramifications and gut-based reactions, then goes into more and more in-depth analysis. But over time, unless there's new details, the arguments become less and less about the information and more about speculations based upon the information, and so on. There's only so long they can discuss it before becoming tired of it. It turns into arguments about the various parts, but none of those are balanced nor can we form a good opinion without seeing how they operate with each other in a complete game.

I think the word "simple" is one that's the most misused, not to say that you're misusing it. For example, one of my favourite games to play (if I find people to play against) is Go. It's a game with only 1 type of piece, and only one way to use the piece. In the understanding of the rules it's considered very very simple. Yet it's one of the deepest games ever made by man!

I am a go player myself and I know exactly what you mean. To take your idea further - the rules of the game of go are very simple (1 type of piece, 1 type of move, like you wrote, simple, quantitative aim of the game), yet their implications are incredibly complex, which is surely obvious to anyone who, after taking 2 minutes to explain the rules of go to a complete beginner, played a game with them. "2 minutes to learn, lifetime to master" is a proverb that maybe best illustrates this phenomenon.

Similarly, the rules (setting) of Civ can be simple - 1upt and let's say even only 2 field (infantry) + 1 support (artillery) + 1 fast (cavalry) units per era. This can still make for a deep and complex game, where unit placement (deployment), timing, maneuvering skills, target choice, supply lines, etc. will make the division between beginners, able players and experts.

I can agree with that. Civ4 coupled with around 5 years of thorough modding and two expansion packs is going to be hard for civ5 to compete with. It will be best to approach it as a different game rather than making endless comparisons to civ4. Many experienced civ4 modders are still hard at work and at least some of them don't look like they're about to jump ship and abandon civ4.

Consider: There are 192 people currently browsing the civ4 Creation and Customization part of the forum compared with 76 in the civ5 general forum and 70 in the civ4 general forum.

Whatever happens with civ5, it's comforting to know there is modded civ4 to fall back on. :)

I'd like to see the numbers for the Civ5 forum on and after the day of a big announcement with new information. It's been stagnant for awhile, and you either get the people who just like to argue for the sake of arguing (myself included), or lurkers hoping for new info.

I never thought of the micro-management hell that may arise out of having to move 200 units on an epic huge map 1 at a time, every single turn. With a stack of doom, you can move all 200 in 1 click.

The thing is, I have often said that unit counts will be low and maps will be smaller; but always get blasted by the opposition saying that it is not true (how they know is beyond me), but now I guess if they are right, and with 1upt, it may well become a very tedious monotonous click-fest.

The thing is, I have often said that unit counts will be low and maps will be smaller; but always get blasted by the opposition saying that it is not true (how they know is beyond me), but now I guess if they are right, and with 1upt, it may well become a very tedious monotonous click-fest.

Well wasn't the battles in Civ IV the same anyway. You had to move the same stack over and over again against another stack. That was also quite "tedious monotonous click-fest."

remember that unit maximums are limited by your strategic resources. You will not have 200 unit on 200 unit fights in civ V. If that's a good thing or a bad thing I don't know. I don't think the micromanagement aspect should be even considered until we know how many units we will be working with. it may be as low as 50 or as high as 200. if it is the latter, then we can worry about micromanagement.

About unit management - again, I am firmly of the opinion civ5 will be designed/balanced for smaller scales on empire size and warfare, so you're right, I don't expect tremendous tedium if on a standard game, by the modern eras you have maybe a few dozen units to deal with, probably less on a given front/action every turn.

But this is still a function of actual game settings - you will have, you have to have more units on larger maps. The "unthinkable" option that the game just won't be balanced on large maps or few people will play civ5 that way - well, I could see that actually being the truth, and while I don't prefer it I'd accept the differences in gameplay - that seems to be a forbidden zone that everybody says could never happen. It's near impossible, without assuming everything about gameplay is much different, to imagine a map with, say, 9 or 10 civs and at least a dozen cities each, that does not also involved hundreds of units all around. I mean, nobody has a navy of three warships, or an air force of three planes across an entire empire - even if you call them "groups" of units it's still stretched too thin, but I am apprehensive how much micromanagement that could get to with the new system. (I especially hope air, naval, or similar support units have better "missions" or ways to handle them closer to stacking, these auxiliary forces would be the most tedious imo to deal with one at a time and with tile/unit limitations) Anyway, glad to contribute to various discussion on that, I've made this point many times before, and I know many people never want or are going to worried about working with things on larger maps, and that's cool too.

About blitzing for capitals and victories - I just think there's no way this will not be possible, without other unexpected sacrifices that will detract from gameplay, or specific settings assumed. On a small, land based map, this is maybe not a concern, that could be granted, but then killing a civilization should not take forever anyway. The problem comes if you look at a game where a player might be, say, invading another continent.

Now, the player has to be assumably able to capture something - if their overseas invasion can't capture any city at all, then that's just a massive failure in navy design or whatever. And the player should always have an advantage in surprise and unit positioning and so on - we won't have a real miracle AI. So then, it's a very, very small step for the human player just to be able to focus on a blitz to the AI's capital - they have to capture something first after all, but if doing this to 2 or 3 AIs wins an easy "conquest" victory that can be concerning.

I'm certain there are proposals to balance this of course - but that's where the other problem comes in. Namely, if they hardcode some behavior in the AI for their capitals - if AI have major obsessions over their capitals at the expense of all else, this will just result in players messing with them another way - gobbling up the rest of the empire with feints against the capital. Another option is severe other economic or other limits placed on conquest and military forces - but in that case, I expect the whole forums here and elsewhere to be absolutely howling about how slow and unenjoyable or whatever combat is becoming. Players want to steamroll - making some artificial limit on how much you can conquer even if you are stronger and in the lead, if that's the solution to avoid the "capitals problem" will not be the most popular either I'd guess. In short - in this case I don't see how the previous version of victory was really any worse, and more to the point outside of the ancient city-state era, a huge focus on "capitals" isn't necessary nor does it match a whole lot of real history.

We saw some gameplay footage, and the armies werent extensive, and I dont think they will be, the entire idea of limiting units depending on how much resources you have left will limit the units, it will do its job, it all depends how much resources you can get, but also units may still need to pay maintanence, infact I think its confirmed, and well I think you will find it has been designed to limit troop numbers too.

Top Bottom