Dr kossin #8

Thanks :) I was quite surprised myself, my best score was the Pericles game in the 230k range before.

This was a really fun map for me, with things I haven't done since my Noble days and I really enjoyed the no cottaging part. Hopefully I can play more games like this!

When you go with an exclusively mounted assault like that, how do you like to promote them?

When you go with an exclusively mounted assault like that, how do you like to promote them?

Mainly combat 1 since the odds are already >50%.
For the second and next promotions... it is most often combat 2:

Say you get to a city with a pike and a longbow defending.

If you go combat 1+melee, you get to face the longbow (which basically means you use combat 1). While not bad in itself since you'll get 70+% odds unless the LB is well promoted and the city is on a hill, I've been promoting to CII lately so you get the full bonus against both defenders.

When your odds are <50%, Flanking 2.

Also keep 1 sentry unit in your stack and a medic 3 as soon as you can spare a GG.

Spoiler :

Started by eliminating Sal:

Burnt city again and passing that forest in isthmus cost me some time later...

Wonderspmamed a bit [Parth into Glib into Paya [later one for denial]].
Soon noticed worry thing:

Luckily not much praets, still it was sure it was not me.

Definetely roman idiot declared on bismarck which allowded me solve german cultural problems by moping some weakened defenders.

Kept trading with Mansa to put gap between him and others. Like this:

Also took that nice place called Frankfurt

I half bulbed lib and set up lib into military tradition slingshot.
The only non Mansa trade was Machinery from Julius:(
Arround 900AD we all signed peace. Bismarck lost two cities in finaced my research a bit.
Also i pulled GM from my mixed pool of wonders which i sent into Mali for tyrade mission.

940AD - Huayana declared on me. I let him suicide some troops into prepared defenses.
980AD met Peter... unluckily can't reach him without boats due to stupid mountain.

1030AD lib into military tradition. Yeah, sort of latish. Followed by teching gunpowder. Managed to make first screw here - i hoped to upgrade some old HA and was surprised by not being able to do so... Took some time to remember that seemingly you need resources which are needed on tile troops are. So had to take them on road from nice forest they were parking and waste turn.
1050AD- HC signs peace.

I built Taj in same period (1060AD). Mostly for denial as i traded nat to mansa early and di not wanted to declare on him in middle of war.

Whip as many curasaires as possible.
1100AD declare on Mansa [simple if i vasalize him rest of game is mop up.] Mansa bribes Bismarck into party.

Had epic fail to get timbuktu, but luckily i killed enough troops for mansa to give up:

One injured longbow...

Techs after that:

Denied CoL + religious hatred... Does not look like immortal game actually...

With Mansa out of pic i followed killing up Germany.

1180AD i realize what i own mids:

Well, run my second golden age from GA and switch to +25%troop productiom

1190AD cap Bismarck, heal troops and move them eastwards. Meanwhile had to bribe Julius from HC in order to prevent vassalization.

1230AD declare on HC, one of bigest precavalry mounted stacks i ever had:

1270AD - cap HC. Move a bit to declare on Rome. Bit worried since i can'r locate his stack, although it should go assault some incan city [hopefully].

Did second serious mistake as i decided tech replacable parts and order mansa to tech astro... Ended needing to tech good deal in astro to get that trade, which delayed galleons. Fact that i did not captured any mali's coastal cities and had to whip transport in german ones did not helped either...

1300AD- declare on Rome
1330AD- get three cities including Rome. Surprisngly Juylius does not want to capitulate. Although picking out some of his loose troops helps:

Killing trade:

1360AD Mansa made some nice cultural bridge to help me

1410Ad capture second Russian city

1420AD Peter finally wants to talk, makes me wonder could i shaved off few turns with premature declaration.

1430AD - Watch conquest movie.

As said did not beaten original date. On other hand i felt like game was over after getting Sal's land.

Troops built:

Why i thought i might need rifling?

Final score [in case someone cares] 269038. Now i need to finish my own forum game...

Nice game Soirana!
RNG and a few things might have had an effect on the outcome but I think it shows how 2 different approaches can lead to the same result.

Top Bottom