Dreaded CTD

Barronosod

Chieftain
Hey all. I've scoured a bit across the forums and found some things here and there, but maybe someone can tell me "Moron, your problem is ___. Aside from being a moron."

I'm on Vista 64, 6 gigs, Running BTS 3.19 and Orbis .24i I get CTDs anywhere from turn 20-60. Even tried saving out as a scenario for giggles, but no luck (if that ever worked). On a side note, I had gone into the world builder a couple of times as I've been learning and experimenting w/ this mod. Has that been linked to CTDs? I didn't change much, just kind of looking around.

Any thoughts? Any issues with Win 7?

Thanks for your time

As far as I can tell, there are should be no issues with your hardware running this game. Try playing a game of regular FFH. If there are no problems playing through turn 100-150, then that is a guarantee that the problem isn't your computer.

Another thing you could do is try loading the autosave from right before the crash, see if there is anything funny going on. Sadly, I can't tell you what to look for. Another thing might be to upload the autosave right before your crash to see if anyone else is able to make it play, or perhaps figure out what is causing the CTD.

The last thing to do is upgrade to patch P. This is found in the orbis bug thread, and its possible that there was a CTD known for patch I that got fixed in the later patches.

-Colin

The last thing to do is upgrade to patch P. This is found in the orbis bug thread, and its possible that there was a CTD known for patch I that got fixed in the later patches.
There was a know bug that caused CTDs in games with the Scions or the Mechnos, and it's been fixed in the latest patches so definitely make sure you're running the latest version of Orbis.

Did you update Fall From Heaven to the latest patch? Orbis is designed to work with patch 'j', and FFH has moved to patch 'm'. I am unsure if this would cause the problems you describe, as I have not updated FFH to see. The 0.30 Orbis version will be a stand-alone install, fortunately.

Thanks for the input everyone. Sadly I did update FFH to M. In this case would you recommend a reinstall and stick with J? Would this break my Orbis saves? Just curious there.

I did see the Scions and Mechnos issue, so intentionally left them out of the game. Good to see it's been fixed.

I will say that I while learning the game, I liked to pop into the worldbuilder to make sure the AI was doing a good job. Nothing worse than building up your empire, only to discover that the AI is lightyears behind and pose no challenge. I was doing foolish things like spreading AV in Shaeim cities, making islands for the AI to colonize, etc. My crashes usually happened not long after my meddling. I assume that's the issue as I have a game now at about 115 turns, and never had a problem playing well into regular FFH2.

On that note, what settings, opponents, etc. do you prefer for a challenging game? Not necessarily all against me, but a nice challenge.

Thanks again all

In this case would you recommend a reinstall and stick with J? Would this break my Orbis saves? Just curious there.

That would probably fix your issue. I am unsure about your Orbis saves, probably best to start a new one (it will have the least chance of frustration).

On that note, what settings, opponents, etc. do you prefer for a challenging game? Not necessarily all against me, but a nice challenge.

I would suggest increasing difficulty. Starting at noble gives you a nice casual game with AI who are not total pushovers at the end. Monarch start gives a bit more of a challenge without the brutal beginning (which allows you to set up in the first 75 turns on a more equal footing). I have been playing with Permanant Alliances enabled, but I have yet to see an AI-AI Permanant Alliance in Orbis, so it ends up just benefiting the player only (I think I will start leaving that one off in future games).

With the increased difficulty of both animals and barbarians I have noticed that Charadon will often do extremely well, and is not shy about throwing his weight around. If I am playing a map with any tundra at all, I'll load up Charadon as a selected AI to make things more interesting. Cassiel is another good choice, his adventurers keep the wilderness at bay (but watch out, he'll found guilds and build wonders you want if you do not focus on them - as well he should). Oh, and Beeri Bawl. He gets my vote for "Good Leader most likely to stab you in the face." That darn gnome always beelines Pillar of Chains + Mercurian Gate of all things. Hey, it works.

Top Bottom