Drill vs. Combat

Kawzmo191

Warlord
Given the choices, what usually is the better upgrade for musketeers/musketman, and other gunpowder units?

Combats I & II?

or Drill I & II?

When it comes to building crossbows (which I like to keep as general stacks protectors, along with pikemen, who get 2 Combats) I like to go ahead and deck them out with extra first strikes, seeing as they start with one anyway. Their initial strength seems too low for the combats to have any negligible effect against the odd Knight or so. But man alive, do they bust up trebs and melee units with the first strikes!

Seeing as they bear the brunt of the field fighting, I can get drill III out of them before I upgrade to some superb riflemen.

If I get the event that gives pinch to all my musketmen, or combat I to all my crossbows, it just makes the deal all that sweeter :mischief:

I find (especially when playing European civs) that the bulk - if not all - of my fighting is done in cities. Any units that can get City Raider promotions get those. Otherwise I tend to default to combat I/II rather than drill (with a few City Garrison I/II troops obviously, but you weren't asking about defense ;)).

The main reason is just that when I end up upgrading these units (which for Euro civs never really takes particularly long) the combat I/II promotion look most useful to me. I'm probably wrong though, I was never much of a civ player...

I think that Combat is better because Drill I only gives a first strike chance. Drill does become more useful as you advance up, but initially combat is probably superior. Also Combat but not Drill is the prerequisite for a lot of promotions.

Drill baby Drill!

Oromo's built from colloseum city (Drill IV) = come get some!

Do the same with Cho-Ko-Nu for similar hilarity :D

I usually save my promotions for certain problems. Example: a bunch of enemy riflemen are coming, so I upgrade my units to 'Pinch'.

Combat vs. Drill. The old argument. With the fact that promos get stronger as you go up the line (Flanking I is trash, Flanking II can be quite good), my Aggressive Civs usually go Combat and Protective usually goes Drill.

A lot depends on tech lead. If you have a decent tech lead with better units, Drill is often the way to go. You often don't get injured and I just learned that Drill units have a chance to get more XP's through winning than Combat. If you have Privateers, go Drill.

When you're struggling with tech parity, Combat is often better. Your interest is in winning the battle, not escaping without damage. I don't find City Raider that superior that I use it that often.

Drill I vs Combat I is a little unfair. It's true, Drill I is garbage. Combat I is much superior. However, Drill IV is awesome. No promo line increases in value with each promotion like Drill. Since almost all units will have 5 XP's out of the box (Barracks for 3, Civic or GG for 2 more), it's actually Combat II or III vs Drill II or III. The Oromos value isn't Drill I and II (both weak) but that Zara can get Drill IV upon creation of his Oromos.

But looking at those Oromo's, I'm gonna say that maybe I should?
One of the best units available if you ask me. Problem is that the poor guys are protecting a near permanently unstable country so they don't get to do much, would love to take them out and see the world though :devil:

I usually go with combat, unless I can get couple drills straight up or if the unit has some extra strikes ready.

Don't mock Ethiopia and the Oromos, I once dominated the world with them.

Another quick question; when it comes to upgrading riflemen and infantry, is pinch usually the way to go? I usually get it seeing as most every nation by that time has gunpowder units, and any units from earlier will be mincemeat for the rifle or inf's innate strength.

Does pinch count against cavalry and cuirassier?

Another quick question; when it comes to upgrading riflemen and infantry, is pinch usually the way to go? I usually get it seeing as most every nation by that time has gunpowder units, and any units from earlier will be mincemeat for the rifle or inf's innate strength.

Does pinch count against cavalry and cuirassier?
I personally go for Drill when my units are an overmatch so they can chew through hordes of troops

I personally go for Drill when my units are an overmatch so they can chew through hordes of troops

point taken!

so in trying to boil down this sweet, sweet, science, i've come to this; wherever in a position of technological superiority, drill baby drill, because the first strikes keep the doctor away, thus keeping you on your toes constantly. One of the biggest losses to momentum is damage my siege units and attacking forces take. negate that entirely and keep moving ;)

wherever in a precarious technological situation, combat is the way to go since it quite literally, tilts the odds a little more to your favor.

lately i've taken to simply giving drill to my archery units only, except for my city defenders. a couple crossbows or longbows with drill II seem to act as decent stack defenders, and have some legitimate offensive use as well.

as france for some reason i spam drill II crossbows. as odd as it seems, they serve me well in conjunction with about 10 knights.

Top Bottom