Dropping my conquered religion?

civitasjohn

Chieftain
In one of my games, I conquered a capital city that has a religion that no one believes in anymore. I don't have a religion, so immediately I become the owner of it - and worse, I believe in it (while 99% of my people don't). This caused great diplomatic drama as my former faith brothers turned against me - hence, I wonder, is there any way to drop my religion now?

Sending an inquisitor to a Holy City with a different religion remove the Holy City, and thus the religion no longer "belong" to anyone.

Sending an inquisitor to a Holy City with a different religion remove the Holy City, and thus the religion no longer "belong" to anyone.
doesn't this work only when you don't have your own religion? cause OP did not have his own religion before conquering Holy city, i guess he has spread someone else religion in their citiec.

What's worse than this is conquering a holy city prior to the world reaching the max number of religions automatically makes the conqueror a founder that cannot found his own religion.

I really don't like this mechanic of practically eliminated religions still being considered "the religion" of their previous founders and apparently conquerors. Subjective of course but for me it feels bad, plays bad and while I don't place much importance on historical arguments, it doesn't have any basis there either. Imagine Iranians being still pissed about Zoroastrianism

Last edited:
Imagine Iranians being still pissed about Zoroastrianism
well, things are different when your civ is helmed by a single immortal ruler who's been in charge for 6000 years. Then I could see it

but you should have the option to change your state religion when a different one is the majority. Even if you still have cities of the old one.

IMG_1968.jpeg

Constantine approves of changing official religions.

Top Bottom