Dune Mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by lexdex, Dec 17, 2005.

1. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

you need to make a python map script. i think this would be unnessasary simply because we have a map for Arrakis.

2. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

for the spice, city radii should be larger so more spice can be got, and also, spice patches will become spice blows, and will make a sand worm. as a possible win condition, make an effective artificail spice like the tlielaxu attemp to do in the house books (it fails). also, to go on the great ergs/open bleds, non-fremen troods should require a carryall or thopter.

3. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

tleilaxu eventually do get the artificial spice, but this is after Leto II and his godhood-reign

4. ArneHD

ArneHD Just a little bit mad

Yeah, about the time, Should this be before or after the events in the book? Or should be begin our own timeline?

5. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

i think that it should be at the start of the original novel, Dune. Basically right when the harkonnen sneak attack happens. That way, some of the villages in the shield wall are harkonnen, and some are atredies. Atredies would hold arakeen city, but be faced with a huge onslaught.

How does that sound?

6. ArneHD

I don't know, should we make this a scenario at all? Perhaps just have a regular start. Besides, if we are going to have a scenario starting position the fremen are going to have a huge advantage over the others.

7. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

that sounds good. We will need to have a look at the map of dune that we are using.

What kind of starting cities, and civ blocs do you think could be used?

8. ArneHD

Well, I don't know if having a scenario start is that good at all. The Atreidies were wiped out early on and I don't really see how we are going to prevent that if we go for a scenario.

My preference would be to have a standard start, with continents of rock, and seas of sand.

9. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

That sounds genius. And we can have Carryall "Boats" and even apply the "galley sinks" mechanic to infantry crossing the new "sand" domain. We could even put a map script together that gives a "dune-like" word map.

10. ArneHD

Sounds good. Although the start mechanism for the fremen would have to be somewhat complex. After all, they LIVE on the sand! Or can cross it with impunity at any rate.

11. Ajidica

good idea. would it be possible to have the leader for each raction beweaker reusable great people with if you capture a civs leader they are destroyed?and any way to include mentats?

12. Macha

Macha King

Up until last month i thought dune was just another C&C rip-off game but then i read the prelude to dune novels and i think a dune mod would be a great idea.

13. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

Not exactly. They live in something call a sietch. These are spread through out the dessert, but are usually on rocky outcrops, above the sand. The outcrop, however, is deeply excavated and has a signigicant interior.

What I'm trying to say as the fremen would be an archipelago civ, except the "water" is full of resources and spice (no water). we dont have to worry coz they just need "Worm boats" to cross this domain.

14. HecticHermit

HecticHermit Chieftain

hmm..lets see anyone good at skining characters?, also I'll try and get pics for carryalls and such...are we gonna implement anything from previous games? Buildings like wind traps and factories, hmm anyunits like a Sonic tank or the dual tank...special units for Atredies and Harkonnen? hmm also do the harkonnen have any offensive areial units? I could model some of these but yall gonna have to skin them and make the XML for them.....hmm maybe have to get Blender too.....

Hmm I think we could come up with specifics for each Civ....by the way in 2 weeeks ill get a 2-3 weeks off from school and maybe then I could really work on this mod....so plan for those weeks to do someting...

!!!!!!!!!IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!
    I need some pics of :
    Leaders of each House
    Special units
    Anything yall need modeled and is important.....maybe even terrain

Also We need to make a list of positions yall like to work in

1. 2D artist
    -Skins, textures, buttons
    2.Programmer
    -XML
    -Python
    -Other
    3.3D Artist(HecticHermit- Novice Modeller)
    -Modeling
    -animation
    -any other 3D work....

4+(any other positions)

15. ArneHD

Just a note that I do not think that there has ever been tanks in/on Dune. So we don't have to concern ourself with that. Most of the units will be infantry.

Also, Garret, I know that they live in sietches, I and I probably mis worded that somewhat.

16. Macha

Macha King

there has been tanks on dune in dune 2000 on ps1 there was the devastater tank for the harkonnen.

17. Ajidica

fist of all, that was a video game, not the books. for the carryall, if any one plays ogame the colonyship pic on evolution skin looks sort of like a carryall.

18. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

Browse for earlier posts in this thread, as there are many pics and submissions posted here.

@ArneHD
    Ok :) sorry if i sounded like a dick.

@everyone
    i think now is the time for ppl to browse the downloads section, and the Creation and Customization forums, and find anything and everything that could be used for this mod. (remember to look for things we can reskin too!)

19. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Is there anyway you can get rid of that box effect around these units? thx

20. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

use the Nifviewer. you will need to install a trial version of 3ds max7