• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Dwarf Fortress

I'll play mine this morning. My PC can't handle more than 50 Dwarfs though.

I set my population cap to 40. I'm on year 2... so I'll be posting once I finish up. Also I believe that there might be some Admantine (sp?) in the upper left, but my dwarves refuse to go over that way and I don't have the manpower yet to check it out.

Well my fortress just lost. I didn't realize that under ground magma will actually rise up out of channels. I had never seen it do this before. So all that work of moving magma across the map under the brook and now my fortress is flooding with magma uncontrollably. Plus I am seriously low on booze and food. I could probably make it live on but there is no point. :( I was almost to year 3 as well.

Whoa. I've never had that happen. What does your magma channel look like in z axis?

Code:
XXXXX
~~~~~~~X
~~~~XXX~XXX =======XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
~~~~XXX~XXX =======XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~  X   Workshop Area
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX~~~~~~

~Magma
X Dirt/ground/Wall
= Water

I did find a massive copper vein 4 z levels down from where the wagon started, to the south west a bit.

Maybe the problem is that you tapped the magma higher than your workshop is? I've never done that.

Maybe the problem is that you tapped the magma higher than your workshop is? I've never done that.

I had always heard it would not overflow because Magma was not effected by pressure yet.

Anyway I will gladly participate in the next game like this one but this fortress is dead as I lost my anvil and was running low on food thanks to the humans refusing my trade goods.

EDIT: Here is my fortress uploaded on the map archive. My Fortress Click Here

I stopped playing it for a while, but just resumed. I'm actually in 1056 now. I had a semi-secret goal (I've mentioned it on IRC) which I'm close to accomplishing now. For a while it looked like I wasn't going to be able to do it, but things are looking up now.

I'm also searching for the underground river, since in a very short while the majority of the outdoors river will become inaccessible and solid, and the rest will dry up as the water flow ceases.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-326-fastmagmaworldfloodpart1
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-326-fastmagmaworldfloodpart2

I intended to upload the map once the fort was fully submerged, but currently DF is crashing before it finishes flooding. :(

Here's my map, exported just before DF crashes (I can't get any further now)
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2038-afteropenofale

I found the chasm, by the way. It's exactly (and I do mean exactly) in the upper-left hand corner. Haven't found the underground river though.

Edit: Also, we have whip vines and SUNBERRIES!

I probably should have finished the CFC fortress, but I really wanted to try out sieges. So I just started a new game. Little did I know that I was going to begin the game UNDER seige.

I began right in the middle of a goblin civilization (I was INSIDE of their fortifications). Needless to say, the goblins were none to happy to have a wagon full of ale show up right in the middle of their empire. Dwarves, in love with ale, responded in kind.

Total casualties:
3 Dwarves (Brewer, Cook, Trader)
11 Goblins (4 guards, 7 normal)
1 dog
1 cat

The remaining dog took on three goblins simultaneously and won for a total kill count of 5 goblins. He was thus dubbed "goblin crusher" and will be the basis for my war dog training. There appears to be 3 different goblin "fortresses" on the map. The one I started in seems to be the smallest (and weakest). It's only about 3 z-levels deep so I will try to claim it as my own. The largest fortress has 4 goblin elite crossbowmen running around.

Here's my map, exported just before DF crashes (I can't get any further now)
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2038-afteropenofale

I found the chasm, by the way. It's exactly (and I do mean exactly) in the upper-left hand corner. Haven't found the underground river though.

Edit: Also, we have whip vines and SUNBERRIES!

I'm glad to see different frotress design. There are some things I will use and some things I'll try to avoid.

Should we try a new fortress with the new version or wait until the bugfixes are done?

I'm playing Dwarf Fortress now... I first started playing when VB told me about it, but the huge amount of characters and symbols (and blinking ones, either waiting for construction or two objects in the same square) make me dizzy. So I gave up.

I tried it again recently, at first I was playing adventure mode (being a NetHack player). I found the world rather empty, and it lags once in a while. Then I tried the fortress mode again - and same dizziness from the symbols and blinking. But this time I stumbled upon Mayday's graphics mod... and that allows me to really get addicted.

After many "crash dummy" clans, I'm now playing for real, in my first late summer. Farm is up and running in mid-spring, food and drinks are abundant. No magma on the met, but I have big broadleaf forests. Just started smelting and smithing, but so far very little to work on other than the gold nuggets I've found.

I haven't even played with the new version yet as I have been to lazy to fix my graphics and zoo mod packs.

Therefore I promise to build a sculpture garden never again. Two caravans came and went and my stupid broker did nothing but party. Next time that happens I'm going to drown him. :mad:

Top Bottom