DX11/DX12 Update graphics driver crash

Keebs

Chieftain
Hello.
I am a long time civ player in general running Windows 10, version 1803.

Latest steam update for civ, and I have all DLC for Civ VI. Including gathering storm.

For the past 3 months (ever since release of gathering storm) I can't play more than 20-30 turns without crashing. All it says is to make sure I have most up to date graphics drivers and this happens on DX11 and DX12. I have tried every fix imaginable besides reinstalling windows directly.
  • Verifying game integrity always gives me 3 files that failed to validate and will be reacquired.
  • I have tried with mods, without mods, everything.
  • Reinstalling my GPU drivers clean.
  • Completely removing GPU drivers, rebooting, removing left over files, rebooting again, then installing.
  • Launching steam as administrator and again reinstalling game after still crashing.
  • Reinstalling game, deleting my game folder in documents and in steam/common/.
  • Turning graphics settings up and down (including disabling anti-aliasing, vsync off and on)
  • Starting in DX11 instead of DX12 (and vise versa)

Everything leads to the same crash of driver failure and either update driver, or make sure they are up to date. No other game in my library of 200 crashes because of drivers so I really doubt its the drivers fault.

I took a long break from the game but I bought 2 copies of all DLC and game for me and wife to play and its so frustrating getting into a good rhythm just to crash 10-15 minutes later and I have buddies who wanna play. When I rejoin the game I get a loading screen every turn and crash in another few turns.

I have a 8700k i7, 1070 Nvidia GPU, 16gb ram, SSD it was installed on. I have also tried installing it on different drives to no avail too. I put a ticket in with 2k last week but I have no response on it yet so I am not even sure its going to lead anywhere. I have found 7-8 other threads on reddit/2k forums about this same problem and plenty of comments having the same issue.

Any help would be amazing, I appreciate everyone who spends time on here trying to troubleshoot with other users.

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    881.8 KB · Views: 495
  • DxDiag.txt
    88.5 KB · Views: 100
  • GraphicsOptions.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 86
Did you ever figure out a fix for this? I have a GTX 1060. Mine works in DX11 but crashes in DX12. I too have 3 files that fail to validate. They appear to be segments.bin, dnacontext.bin, and products.bin in the launchpad folder.

Did you ever figure out a fix for this? I have a GTX 1060. Mine works in DX11 but crashes in DX12. I too have 3 files that fail to validate. They appear to be segments.bin, dnacontext.bin, and products.bin in the launchpad folder.
Unfortunately no.

Im really sorry not to give you better news- but I gave up. I submitted two different tickets to 2K support related to this and on both occasions they didn't get back to me for 9 days on the first, 11 on the second. None of there advice works but I can forward to you if you really wanna try.

I ended up going as far as completely formatting PC and install JUST steam, gpu driver, and civ. Still crashing as of 2 weeks ago, haven't tried since. Im pretty over it.

I would just like to add that, as of a week ago, I am getting the same crash and error message, but it is only when I try to load a game.

I would just like to add that, as of a week ago, I am getting the same crash and error message, but it is only when I try to load a game.

Are you able to load sometimes and are you using mods? I have an open ticket and I'm trying to reliably reproduce the crash.

No mods.
I've been doing some playing around. The crash is happening when loading a game and it started with my last Nvidia card update. I've tried rolling back and it was still crashing.
Updated driver again and I've not had any crashes today (reloaded a game about a dozen times in attempt to crash it).

Though today the game has started to crash when starting a new game.

edit: tried to recreate and game worked fine several times in a row.
I'm at loss for reasons. Hopefully the crash reports send to the devs will help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom