DYP on the MAC

DYP question

I used the mod installer for the ancient mediterranean mod everything works fine.

But, for some reason I could never get the DYP mod to work the same, instead of coming in as a blue folder the file comes in as a white sheet with one corner folded down. The file I'm trying to download is 65mb and is from the download section on the DYP web site for vanilla civ v 1.01r.

I heard something here about stuffit expander I'm not sure what this is or if it will help me, I'v tried everything to get the DYP mod I'v tried downloading it eight defirent times and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. could someone please help? thanks!

Every recent Mac OS installs Stuffit Expander as default. You need to download hte vanilla file from the DyP site, expand it initially to create a file with .exe on the end (that's probably the one you have wiith a generic document icon - Mac OS doesn't know what icon to use for a PC .exe file). You need to drop this .exe file onto Stuffit Expander, which will probably be somewhere in Applications//Utilities. That will extract a folder full of files and folders. Then drop that folder onto your Civ3 appliocation folder icon in the Mod Installer

AlanH said:
Every recent Mac OS installs Stuffit Expander as default. You need to download hte vanilla file from the DyP site, expand it initially to create a file with .exe on the end (that's probably the one you have wiith a generic document icon - Mac OS doesn't know what icon to use for a PC .exe file). You need to drop this .exe file onto Stuffit Expander, which will probably be somewhere in Applications//Utilities. That will extract a folder full of files and folders. Then drop that folder onto your Civ3 appliocation folder icon in the Mod Installer

Thank you for the information.
Everything is working fine, played a couple of games one, through to future techs with no problems, no crashes and no bugs. The only things that went wrong were, some missing unit sounds and two misaligned tech choosers, one in the early industrial age and the second in the late modern age.

I'v spent allot of time the last two days on trying to bring graphics files into a copy of 1.21 folder for the editor, from TAM (the ancient mediterranean) and DYP. Do you think its posable, if I put together unit graphics files .flc and .pcx and the .ini files in one folder, and then use your mod installer to install them into a file the editor can use? Will the mod installer work the same for installing units and such into the 1.21g folder for editing?

taltho said:
Thank you for the information.
Everything is working fine, played a couple of games one, through to future techs with no problems, no crashes and no bugs. The only things that went wrong were, some missing unit sounds and two misaligned tech choosers, one in the early industrial age and the second in the late modern age.
That's good to hear. Well done. I think the missing sounds may be missing or incorrectly named files, and the tech chooser problems are probably errors in the BIC file. I doubt if they are caused by the installer.

I'v spent allot of time the last two days on trying to bring graphics files into a copy of 1.21 folder for the editor, from TAM (the ancient mediterranean) and DYP. Do you think its posable, if I put together unit graphics files .flc and .pcx and the .ini files in one folder, and then use your mod installer to install them into a file the editor can use? Will the mod installer work the same for installing units and such into the 1.21g folder for editing?
The mod installer will work if you choose the generic CivIII option as the application. That doesn't look for any specific version number. You would just have to create a single top level folder containing Art and Text folders with all the extra folders and files inside that you want to add to the application. The DyP folder is already set up that way, and I used it to mod a 1.21 version for DyP without any fiddling about. But it doesn't work fully because ...

Your problem is probably going to be the BIC. The BIC file format for 1.21 is different from that of 1.29, and the editor can't read a 1.29 BIC. I tried to create a 1.21 version of the BIC for DyP, and it seems to work OK to create a map, but the BIC you create crashes Civ3 if you use custom rules. And the maps it creates can't be read and edited again. Since you would be editing the rules I think you'd run into trouble. I haven't done anything with the TAM BIC.

The mod installer will work if you choose the generic CivIII option as the application. That doesn't look for any specific version number. You would just have to create a single top level folder containing Art and Text folders with all the extra folders and files inside that you want to add to the application. The DyP folder is already set up that way, and I used it to mod a 1.21 version for DyP without any fiddling about. But it doesn't work fully because ...

Your problem is probably going to be the BIC. The BIC file format for 1.21 is different from that of 1.29, and the editor can't read a 1.29 BIC. I tried to create a 1.21 version of the BIC for DyP, and it seems to work OK to create a map, but the BIC you create crashes Civ3 if you use custom rules. And the maps it creates can't be read and edited again. Since you would be editing the rules I think you'd run into trouble. I haven't done anything with the TAM BIC.

Yah I tried most all of These things. Including and using the file mod3.bic that you posted here. I tried to use the map after installing the dyp on a clean 1.29b2 file (on a newly installed civ III folder) and tried playing the game, it did not work at all :sad: However: I went into the editor and clicked on player property's, moved up the amount of playable civs to 16, cleared the map and saved into my tam folder. Leting tam make a map on a small world and choosing 16 civs I started a game. Well this worked out fine, so far, I'v only gotten through half the ancient area..... well copper showed up......only as oil, it said copper I don't know if it works as copper I didn't get that far.

The TAM mod is very well put together, very balanced, and well worth playing! http://www.cdgroup.org/forums/tbs/civ3/viewtopic.php?t=57 You can get it here.
Extremely, Vastly, Different than the DYP and every bit as good, if not better.

taltho said:
Yah I tried most all of These things. Including and using the file mod3.bic that you posted here. I tried to use the map after installing the dyp on a clean 1.29b2 file (on a newly installed civ III folder) and tried playing the game, it did not work at all :sad:
Just to be clear, the BIC I posted will not work to play the game. It's only use is to provide a 1.21 starting file for the editor in a 1.21 setup modded for DyP, to create maps using the DyP resources. You have to make sure that Custom Rules is switched OFF in the editor when you create a DyP map file using this .BIC, and you should then be able to save the file in the editor and open that file as a scenario in a 1.29b2 DyP installation.

However: I went into the editor and clicked on player property's, moved up the amount of playable civs to 16, cleared the map and saved into my tam folder. Leting tam make a map on a small world and choosing 16 civs I started a game. Well this worked out fine, so far, I'v only gotten through half the ancient area..... well copper showed up......only as oil, it said copper I don't know if it works as copper I didn't get that far.

The TAM mod is very well put together, very balanced, and well worth playing! http://www.cdgroup.org/forums/tbs/civ3/viewtopic.php?t=57 You can get it here.
Extremely, Vastly, Different than the DYP and every bit as good, if not better.
Sounds interesting. I haven't looked at that one at all. If I get a chance I'll get back to these bics and see if it's possible to provide versions that will run with the Mac editor properly.

AlanH said:
Just to be clear, the BIC I posted will not work to play the game. It's only use is to provide a 1.21 starting file for the editor in a 1.21 setup modded for DyP, to create maps using the DyP resources. You have to make sure that Custom Rules is switched OFF in the editor when you create a DyP map file using this .BIC, and you should then be able to save the file in the editor and open that file as a scenario in a 1.29b2 DyP installation.

Yes, I understand that AlanH, That's exactly what I took it to mean. I tried using it for this very purpose the map I created didn't even load, the game crashed @ 8% loading time after selecting the scenario option of the map I generated in the editor, not once but four times with four different maps. Like you i saw the resources and units in the editor when I created the four maps.

AlanH said:
Sounds interesting. I haven't looked at that one at all. If I get a chance I'll get back to these bics and see if it's possible to provide versions that will run with the Mac editor properly.

Let me know, when you get the time if its posable. If it is how complicated is it going to be?
If there's any way I can help let me know I'll do what I can.

TAM has more resources than DYP and TAM has a lot of units DYP dose not.
I think if this can be done or ever will be done, is that the units and resources of both of these mods be considered as a platform for a posable editor expantion. Something like this would certainly benafit allot of mac users
_________

Top Bottom