Early Colonization Remake Articles and Screenshots

Totally agreed about the music; it may have been the best thing about the original DOS version of the game. I got the Windows version at one point, but never played it because it just wasn't the same without the original music.

The original music did come with the Windows version but you had to leave the CD-ROM in the drive in order to hear it. And the graphics were (slightly) better in the Windows version.

The original music did come with the Windows version but you had to leave the CD-ROM in the drive in order to hear it. And the graphics were (slightly) better in the Windows version.

The music on the CD was a "higher-quality" version, wasn't it? I seem to remember it being duller somehow and less interesting than the low-fi, PC speaker version. Same songs, but too smoothly done or something.

It seems they forgot the Portuguese again... Aww, those guys at Firaxis, they never learn...

Could someone please lend a world map to them? Maybe then they'll notice how huge Brazil is... :p

Cheers!

And a fall 2008 release date? I'm going to start saving my pennies now. :cool:

Actually there are two mid-'90s games on fall 2008, Fallout 3 and all this sudden Colonization. Gonna move (more) foods budget into computers... this summer is so .. er, hungry. :cry:

Glad to see the conversation about the music!

My friend and I are in the midst of a disagreement: I distinctly remember "Flop Eared Mule" being in Colonization, but he says it wasn't. It is not present in the windows version, but I played the original DOS version. Can anyone out there back me up on this?

I have the original DOS version, and "Flop Eared Mule" is not in it. I love the music and hope they have kept it.

I have an issue with the representation of the indians in teepees, and the first contact being a Siouan, plains, buffalo tribe. Now I know this is just what they present to the public, but I hope they did they're homework. There were large native tribes in longhouses, that the colonist first came in contact with and made treaties with. The woodland tribes of the North eastern America, the Iroquois, Cherokee, Creek, Abenaki, Ottawa, Ojibwe, many, many more. Colonization in the title, read a book.

Hi everyone!

Now thats out the way. I think my problem with the new Colonization is that they seem to be just generally copying it from the original. They could add so much more in my opinion and expand the game.

i.e. Why not include the Portuguese this time around?

In addition, another question I would want to ask would be - will the trade system / build list be expanded?

I guess I will have to wait and see.

Hi everyone!

Now thats out the way. I think my problem with the new Colonization is that they seem to be just generally copying it from the original. They could add so much more in my opinion and expand the game.

i.e. Why not include the Portuguese this time around?

In addition, another question I would want to ask would be - will the trade system / build list be expanded?

I guess I will have to wait and see.

Yes Colonization is a game which can easily be expanded. New civilizations can be added new units can be added. The worst part of the Colonization was the low number of war unit kinds maybe that was needed for Colonization concept but Colonization never be famous as Civilization. I think Colonization was better but did not be famous. We have to think why it is.

For an expanded Colonization try Invasion, you can download this game from my signature.

If a new colonization game is to be made, a good place to start looking for improvements is in the suggestions of old colonization players. Some of the biggest mistakes in the old colonization was the only four countries that could be played and the fact that Portugal was not included (i have nothing against the dutch but my colonization version was changed to have the Portuguese instead of the Dutch).

As many of you have posted, the original soundtrack is very good (all those songs are related to the colonization era / independence war). I'm with you on this aspect and maybe new songs (still related to the colonization era or nations/tribes involved) could be added.

Another thing that was lacking in colonize was the low variety of militar units. This is another aspect that could be improved and would probably lead to a tech tree / tech research.

PS: Amphibious attack must be made available so those units that used to be in Falkland island in original colonization game, won't stay there forever.

Hope to see a good colonization game soon

If this new version is just a remake of the original is it going to be worth the price? New graphics don't mean much as for me they don;t make a game

I might as well just play the open source version or the original if I can remember where I put it.

What was bad about the original was not so much the atrocious graphics. Nice graphics are cool but not all-important. What was bad was the horrible AI and the limited number of ways to deal with the AI.

I still have a DOS version of the game on my hard-drive. The AI has a tendency to put military units right next to your cities and fortify them (even when at peace), denying you the chance to improve your colonies. You can't do the same to the ai since they can improve terrain without workers (pioneers). The AI in the DOS version has all kinds of advantages over the player.

Improve the AI in this version and I'll buy..

Improve the AI in this version and I'll buy..

The AI has always been a problem until recently with games by Sid - wasn't just confined to Colonisation.

What made it worse was that as soon as you got Benjamin Franklin no other nation could touch you as they were forced to make peace which to be frank was absolutely rubbish.

The AI has a tendency to put military units right next to your cities and fortify them (even when at peace), denying you the chance to improve your colonies. You can't do the same to the ai since they can improve terrain without workers (pioneers).

Given the Civ IV engine is being used and the screenshots show territory influence zones, I don't think we will be revisiting those particular kinds of AI Shenanigans that both the first colonization and early Civ versions had.

Given the Civ IV engine is being used and the screenshots show territory influence zones, I don't think we will be revisiting those particular kinds of AI Shenanigans that both the first colonization and early Civ versions had.

Yeah I guess today's civ fans would simply not accept crappy 1990's AI.

The AI has always been a problem until recently with games by Sid - wasn't just confined to Colonisation.

What made it worse was that as soon as you got Benjamin Franklin no other nation could touch you as they were forced to make peace which to be frank was absolutely rubbish.

I wonder whether it'll be a faithfull remake of the original (new graphics only), or whether they'll improve aspects of it that where rubbish (like Franklin). I'd definitely prefer the latter.

The ones going on about the AI are wasting their breath. It's 2008 now. The AI these days is greatly improved. All of these issues have been dealt with, and fixed generally well, so I'm not worried about a bad AI in this version. I'm more worried about the lack of countries, and of course the other non-AI related problems of the original.

The ones going on about the AI are wasting their breath. It's 2008 now. The AI these days is greatly improved. All of these issues have been dealt with, and fixed generally well, so I'm not worried about a bad AI in this version. I'm more worried about the lack of countries, and of course the other non-AI related problems of the original.

I don't know... AI doesn't write itself. It's probably the most difficult aspect (to program) of the whole Civ franchise. requires lots of finetuning and manpower and resources. Take the fall from heaven mod for example. It has all these wonderful interesting features and abilities but the AI doesn't know how to use half of them (probably because the FFH2 modmakers simply do not have the resources to build an adequate AI). That, for me, spoils the whole FFH2 mod. And FFH2 is much closer to vanilla CIV than Colonization.

Whether there are 4 or 8 countries in the new Colonization doesn't bother me at all actually.

Top Bottom