earth 18civ tutorial

BTW, while I'm on the border topic, does anyone come later on and settle canada? Maybe the British? Kinda new to this sceneario and Civ4 for that matter. Truth be told, maybe I should start off with a regular game before jumping right into a global scale.

Well I played this map as America to test how the Europeans manage finding the new continent

I never really crossed the US/Canada border. What I did notice is that the French came over hear quite early and settled the Quebec Area. The Brits quickly folowed and settled many of the carribean islands for their sugar. They will also like to settle In South America, The Spanish never really get to America probably becuse they only have 1 or 2 cities for some reason. The British will try to settle Alaska too and eventually I think settle the "Canada region"

It seems the British like to expand. They had quite a few islands in the pacific to get sugar ect and French had various Colonies in Africa. And as wkndwrrr said The Japs do go to Argentina.

Hope that helped

Hey, Joe, good to have you back.

Even though it was already a year old at the time, this thread was the final push I needed to start my King of the World series way back when. Great strategies which still largely hold up today (some things have changed with the inevitable updates, but that comes with the territory). I look forward to seeing your further musings...

My favourite CivFanatics thread of all time has been reborn! I'm looking forward to lots of interesting discussion and hopefully some good Earth18 games online.

First question, Joe, are you playing on BTS now? Obviously some of the rule changes affect all civs, and some leaders have had their traits changed. Tokugawa, in particular, suffers the replacement of Org by Pro, which makes Japan much less appealing to me...

In my opinion, they key to beating Earth 18 is to literally, do your best to eliminate as many nations as you can in the early game. In Japan's case, I warrior-rushed China(from across the sea :goodjob: ) then started whipping/chopping axes in Beijing and took out Mongolia. I had a crapload of axes so I went to South Asia and Annexed(not razed) India's 4-civ Empire. At this point, I was out of axes and got into economic recovery mode. Point being, the earlier people die the better. :goodjob: Although the 700 years of recovery and managing 2 empires at once(India and East Asia) was a bit tricky......But I eventually recovered thanks to the GLH/Colossus, moving my capital to Beijing, colonizing Siberia and South East Asia, and then smashing the :hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer: out of Cyrus, then literally annexing everything from Vladivostok to Madrid. The more people die the better.

I think Neal hit the hammer on the head with Toku. Toku in BTS is good at one thing, to quote Neal, "turning things into dead things." Establishing an early mainland presence and taking out China in the BC years is key. The south pacific can bring in a lot of trade income with the Great Lighthouse, but China is primo land.

I think there are only a few nations where early aggression is not the answer on that map. Russia is probably one unless you settle your first city at St. Petersburg/Riga location (and then you are probably going to be late to the party for a Chariot rush of Europe.) Mali unless you rush Egypt. India and Inca obviously aren't good early aggressors either. I could be proven wrong though.

Hey guys, only been on a couple weeks, and I've been playing in vanilla under "an assumed name".

I'll probobally throw BTS on, but I figured I'd ease back into it. I've played it a lot, I'm familiar with it, but I wanted to retune the basics before I went to where the "real players" were.

The first comment I'd respond to is the one about taking out as many civs as possible.

This is true for any civ, on any part of the map. Every game where a dominant power emerges is because someone did something very aggressive, very early.

That's why rome/persia/china tend to be top tier civs. It has nothing to do with civ specifics. Just that the starting spots/UU's/relative starting spots of neighbors lend themselves to early and fast expansion.

Japan specific, I'd say you have to be as aggressive with china/korea, as you would with Rome against france/germany. Sure you have to use a boat, and that makes it tougher, but if you want to be a late game power, that's the path to take.

Best advice I'd give is, learn how to manage warconomics, and make appropriate teching/build decisions.

Other quick advice I'd give should be mantra...

Slavery is your friend and don't build wonders...take wonders.

Oh, with Inca I try to tech super fast and get into a catapult war with aztec.

With Mali, I rush...wait for it...SPAIN!

With India I warrior rush the scout in persia, forcing him to go warrior first, and try to frustrate his efforts to get horse.

I'm assuming CrazyCanuck is OCC?

I'm not sure who neal is, whats your name in game?

Neal is NEAL.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7811424

King of the World.

After many years playing CIV I have only played earth-maps since the summer. Amazing games.

Tokugawa in BTS is pretty neat to play and the land more than offsets his lack of economic traits. I played a few games at epic/emperor and found that he works best as follows

1) Research sailing first while building workboats for the seafood. Settle in place.

2) Get a warrior/galley/settler and settle in northern Korea.

3) Research mining/BW/masonry and get the Great Lighthouse at all costs. AT emperor I have yet to miss it.

4) The third city goes towards the yellow river region, the fourth up along the Siberian coast to claim the deer. usually there is not enough time to settle a second city on the Chinese coast.

5) Cities 5 and 6 are on the Japanese mainland to collect the gold/silver giving Toku 2 happy resources.

6) early war with China is next with the emphasis on Bejing for the horses followed by the ripe core of southern/mid China. Come samuri time it's onto the Mongols.

7) Japan's main weakness is late game resources, oil/uranium/aluminum. While Japan can take over the world easy enough, I always prefer to try Space with them as this is the bigger challenge (and leverages the Shale Plant nicely). Oil comes from either the off-shore Borneo area or deep in the desert region of Asia. Uranium is veyr hard to find and aluminum requires conquering India. At kleast what I have seen.

Currently I am up to Fred and frankly find him the strongest of the Europeans. ORG allows him to absorb France/Rome/Spain/Greece before Code of Laws, and Russian after. Louis seams to get Stonehenge first so Paris pumps out the first GP as a Prophet which is great from Madrid's Buddhist Holy City. I teched Fuedalism only to Vassal Catherine who now acts as a human shield against Asia while one well defended city in Anatolia defends Europe from the Middle east. I am set to take out England and consolidate power for a bigger push into Asia.

I've only ever played Earth18 once, as Spain (aiming to practice warrior rush, which I was told would be easy at Noble anywhere in Europe), but might go for Japan next (after the current batch of Nobles' Club maps I'm preparing). One real curiosity, though, is a comment back in '06 about culture bombing somewhere to get early access to America. Where is that possible? I thought culture only went 2 tiles into ocean, and didn't see a spot where that made a difference. Somewhere on a seacoast in the Arctic?

I've only ever played Earth18 once, as Spain (aiming to practice warrior rush, which I was told would be easy at Noble anywhere in Europe), but might go for Japan next (after the current batch of Nobles' Club maps I'm preparing). One real curiosity, though, is a comment back in '06 about culture bombing somewhere to get early access to America. Where is that possible? I thought culture only went 2 tiles into ocean, and didn't see a spot where that made a difference. Somewhere on a seacoast in the Arctic?

The bering straight is blocked, so I am thinking of greenland. However, given the advice here is 3 years old I would think some patches and expansions may have changed that aspect.

Japan is pretty damned cool to play early on, just make sure you extend enough to capture late game resoruces.

Right -- I couldn't figure Bering Strait, but can see how to do Greenland:
Spoiler :
Span to Iceland from Ireland or Scotland, culture bomb Iceland? Looks like England could do it very early, if those city spots make sense.

Spoiler :

Very interesting. I am considering a future earth-map RPC as England and this info is just what UI think I need.

Oops -- Greenland doesn't work.
Spoiler :
There is ocean and ice blocking the way that are more than 2 water tiles away from all the Iceland city sites. So no pre-Astronomy invasions of the Americas as far as I can see.

Well Danged!

meh,

just lost a very frustrating game as arabia

pretty good game actually...took out egypt persia greece

but the european powerhouse led to a very strong france being able to hold off my assault and tech to cannon way too fast

Just found this thread and its BRILLIANT :) Very impressed with the strategies on here!

I've just started my first MP Earth map game - only 2 of us playing (myself - America and my friend - England) and the other 16 Civs being AI. I've played the Earth map a few times and won everytime - though the last time I played as America I had a lot of trouble with Monte, being pretty equal/slightly behind with regards to tech/wonders and therefore with my military campaign against Europe. I usually try and win a game by having superior tech but will undoubtedly find it pretty tough in this game.

Anyway, having read Joe's strategy with regards to America (just great by the way) I'm not sure if I've blocked off Monte's access to the copper NW of his capital. Its still fairly early game but if I haven't blocked it off and he now has access to copper - is there any advice you can offer to me? Also is there anyway I can make conquering Europe a little easier?

You know, america has vexed me for years on this map. There's a lot of viable stratagies but that hasn't stopped me from looking for the most consistant and best one.

My current thoughts are this, and they're subject to change.

Now this is assuming an AI monte, I'll follow with a human monte after that.

Axe > Jag, so that makes an early attack look tasty.

Axe/Sword < Archer on hill, in fortified city, so that means you have a VERY short window and have to be a production haus to pull this off.

Early game...Catapult > Anything non horse/elephant.

So my current leaning is settler spam to place cities at start, New Orleans, Nova Scotiaish ( New York ), a couple up the mississippi, and working into the mid/north west.

Cottage spam like crazy, and tech rush to construction.

Then use slavery like you've never used slavery before and have a 25%ish axe/sword....75%ish catapult army, and just roll over aztec as best as possible

Then start working naval/sea tech and work your way down eastern south america.

Then just prepare for/execute a 3 to 4 point of attack landing on europe/africa, being careful not to run into UU's

Redcoats/Cossacks/Panzers come to mind.

Now as for human america vs human aztec, I think you need archery as your lynchpin and just play a choking war of attrition and try to fortify/choke archers/axes as best you can and then repeat as above with cats.

Top Bottom