Eco Sanctuary's?

Zardnaar

Deity
Wondering what CFCs opinion of Ecosancturies are?

Basically conservatiin is a big thing here with off sure islands being cleared if predators for the various native species. Alot if birds don't fly here and are very vulnerable to introduced species (cats, rats, stoats etc).

Basically they fence off an area, eradicate the predators and restore native forests. These two are the "urban jungle" being built in city limits.

This one is in our capital. Zealandia.

And there's one where I live the Orokonui Ecosanctury.

Bottom thumbnail has a Tui an NZ native bird and a very crap beer. I like trees, green and water;).

Predator-less wildlife sanctuaries?

We have a wildlife sanctuary in my city, within the city limits. I used to work in the interpretive centre bookstore there, back in the '80s, and gave occasional talks on astronomy when there was a special 'astronomy night' event.

It's not cleared of predators, though. The Gaetz Lakes Wildlife Sanctuary is part of Waskasoo Park, and the park itself contains trails that are paved, unpaved, and animal trails that run throughout the city. This is a wildlife migration corridor to accommodate the animals who must migrate for hunting, feeding, and mating. So while I've never seen a bear in the Sanctuary, they can still enter and feed if they want to. Ditto cougars and other predators. It's up to humans to get out of their way and not be stupid.

I assume for NZ this nearly exclusively means non-native predators, right?
Because otherwise this wouldn't make sense.

Yes our native predators mostly eat insects.

If you watch the videos the trees are very thick like a jungle and the big predators flew.

So things like kiwis evolved to be flightless to hide in the forests. Native predators mostly went extinct.

It's heartbreaking watching adult kiwi chasing off stoats trying to eat their chicks. The can kill 100% of the chicks in an area.

The also can kill the mother birds on the nest or exhaust them as if they can leave the nest they can't put on weight. Night after night they've caught them on film wearing the birds down.

The other thing they discovered is the birds can live a long time so you walk through the forests and see them and the bird song. But the birds are older and 80-90% are male and the birdsong is for females who aren't there.

Last edited:
They range from the relatively benign attempts to minimize the effects of human habitation on a region to a variety of expensive zoos. Basically places where alternative paths of eco-development can happen.

They're awesome... but sadly often too little too late.

They've been doing it here since the 80's and proto development started in the 60's in terms of awareness.

The Department of Conservation ran it.

They usually use offshore islands as mentioned that get cleared of predators.

On bird species was reduced to 30 odd individuals and they started a breeding program in the 80's.

They managed to also find a few individuals in the wild.

Current population 207.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_kakapo

Sirocco the Kakapo. This one couldn't be rehabilitated into the wild/breeding program. Kind of a pet that's an ambassador for the species. Thinks he's human.

Sirocco the Great, up close and personal:

Last edited:
They range from the relatively benign attempts to minimize the effects of human habitation on a region to a variety of expensive zoos. Basically places where alternative paths of eco-development can happen.

Funny, I was going to comment they're just large zoos. Already covered!

I don't think they'll have to be "expensive". It's marginal land that is being set aside, and in NZ I think islands?

Encouraging natural diversity, after so much was destroyed though out enforcing mixing up of the ecosystems, is smart. Might turn up good things, or it may just be amusing to watch. I any case, worth the effort I think. It's not as if we have a lack of humans to work on keeping some niches protected from encroachment.

Funny, I was going to comment they're just large zoos. Already covered!

I don't think they'll have to be "expensive". It's marginal land that is being set aside, and in NZ I think islands?

Encouraging natural diversity, after so much was destroyed though out enforcing mixing up of the ecosystems, is smart. Might turn up good things, or it may just be amusing to watch. I any case, worth the effort I think. It's not as if we have a lack of humans to work on keeping some niches protected from encroachment.

It's very little land in the grand scheme of things and it isn't the best agricultural land anyway.

There's a lot if hill country that's covered in horse or used for sheep.

Top Bottom