Economy Mod

I am not sure if you are interested in this, but as the game goes on, especially on higher maps/difficulty , every tile of the goddamn map is getting occupied by a unit. It also seems the ai goes crazy trying to move at all making for longer turn-loading-times.

So my question is: Is it possible to increase the cost and power of the military units as they become more modern?

I have no idea if to increase is gradually or exponential, but i would like to see it drasticc, like +100% cost/power per age ( there are 7, so future tech units would cost 700% more...)

Ofc i can see the huge balance challenge ( sounds more optimistic than problems ^^) between units and units and cities.
Additionally it could be seen as weird/wrong when a unit costs so much, also upgrade costs...

Wheat seems redundant a granary is by definition a silo. Could you possibly split it into 2 shorter build time buildings (both together possibly = to the Silo build time?) to make choice and specialization more important Eg...

Bakery +food/Stores Food
and/or (depending on wheat supplies)
Brewery +Happiness -Production due to drunkards

Fishery all I can think of is a Smokie but that's more of a preservative building than a processing one :(

Yes, but the granary simply adds food, not food storage (as it did in civ4). :p

On the other hand, your idea is quite interesting... I like it. Most bonus resources have 2-3 instances on a plot (like strategic resources), though fish will likely only have one (that's a strong bonus, there.... ), so a single source of wheat could grant both buildings to the same city. Or one to two or three different cities. So wheat having multiple uses is quite interesting, and I think I'll go with it. :goodjob:

And yeah, I can think of several MODERN names for the fishing building, but no ancient ones, which I'd prefer in this case. :crazyeye:

I am not sure if you are interested in this, but as the game goes on, especially on higher maps/difficulty , every tile of the goddamn map is getting occupied by a unit. It also seems the ai goes crazy trying to move at all making for longer turn-loading-times.

So my question is: Is it possible to increase the cost and power of the military units as they become more modern?

I have no idea if to increase is gradually or exponential, but i would like to see it drasticc, like +100% cost/power per age ( there are 7, so future tech units would cost 700% more...)

Ofc i can see the huge balance challenge ( sounds more optimistic than problems ^^) between units and units and cities.
Additionally it could be seen as weird/wrong when a unit costs so much, also upgrade costs...

That would be an absolutely huge balance change. May be good, may be bad, but out of the scope of this mod; I'd like some of these changes to be picked up by the devs (and am recommending them to them), and a wholesale revision of that nature is out of the scope of what they would do.

if you're going to do a textile mill, seems should include cotton and silk.

definitely need to make coast more useful, extra food/gold to reflect the fact that 80-90% have lived near/on the coast for all (almost?) of civilized history.

would be cool if melee for ships was like an attempt at a boarding action (ramming for trireme) with the possibility of capture, either way.

Glad to hear you're liking it. ;)

• Fishmonger - +food for farms (offal)
    • Need a better name. Anyone have a good name for an ancient fish processing plant? Won't pop into my head. Building represents the offal (guts) of the fish being collected and used as fertilizer, rather than discarded.

Thanks :) This has had me stumped for hours. I'm not sure there was an equivalent specific industry for fish fertilizer in the ancient world. I believe they just used animal manure, sewage etc. However, the Latin for 'keeper of fish ponds' (which is who might do such processing) is piscīnārius. A Cētārius is a fishmonger. Cētārium? Piscīnārium? (not sure that second one is legitimate). Anything ring a bell?

If you're talking about the Roman era specifically, the biggest and most profitable use for fish entrails, so it seems, was in making garum (fish paste/sauce) for the upper class. Definitely a luxury good. Don't know about the Greeks. The Egyptians fished on a much smaller scale, so it would seem unlikely they used fish bi-products for crops. I see some references to the Incans doing so though.

Thanks :) This has had me stumped for hours. I'm not sure there was an equivalent specific industry for fish fertilizer in the ancient world. I believe they just used animal manure, sewage etc. However, the Latin for 'keeper of fish ponds' (which is who might do such processing) is piscīnārius. A Cētārius is a fishmonger. Cētārium? Piscīnārium? (not sure that second one is legitimate). Anything ring a bell?

If you're talking about the Roman era specifically, the biggest and most profitable use for fish entrails, so it seems, was in making garum (fish paste/sauce) for the upper class. Definitely a luxury good. Don't know about the Greeks. The Egyptians fished on a much smaller scale, so it would seem unlikely they used fish bi-products for crops. I see some references to the Incans doing so though.

Yeah, it was really a generic use for offal of all kinds, but many coastal populations made use of it. Common, if just in small amounts. I just like the effect, helps make fish strong (which it needs to be, with coastal tiles being underpar).

any thoughts on nerfing marble. just getting gives you a wonder boost civ wide probably should on be in the city with it in the radius.

+78% wonder production as Egypt is sick, yo!

Neglected to answer these.

I'm not sure yet, I haven't had time to look at it. It's on my list though.

"fish market" or "seafood market" doesn't work?

On another note I had this thought on city specialization. maybe we should add a couple of buildings that specialize a river valley city or a coastal city or a mountain city. Either add some more special improvements that play to those traits (and maybe even get rid of some buildings). like i think the watermill should add production but maybe the coastal city gets more gold (basically make the lighthouse more like the colossus)_ and the hill city gets more defenses. dunno just a thought. probably should of recommended a long, long time ago.

I thought he was looking for an archaic term for a fish processing facility (effect on crop yields) and probably went overboard ;)

• Plantation - +commerce and production, unhappiness, extra unhappiness with Equal Rights

Does this go for all plantations or just bananas? Either way. I much like that you're working in negative traits as these are missed. The game is way too bonus focused presently. The sacrifices you make are implicit to whatever you choose not to pursue..

On another note I had this thought on city specialization. maybe we should add a couple of buildings that specialize a river valley city or a coastal city or a mountain city. Either add some more special improvements that play to those traits (and maybe even get rid of some buildings). like i think the watermill should add production but maybe the coastal city gets more gold (basically make the lighthouse more like the colossus)_ and the hill city gets more defenses. dunno just a thought. probably should of recommended a long, long time ago.

Yeah, I was looking specifically for the processing facility, as the building will grant bonuses to farms.

More specialized buildings would be a good thing IMO.

I thought he was looking for an archaic term for a fish processing facility (effect on crop yields) and probably went overboard ;)

Does this go for all plantations or just bananas? Either way. I much like that you're working in negative traits as these are missed. The game is way too bonus focused presently. The sacrifices you make are implicit to whatever you choose not to pursue..

Not really, better than I was able to do. :goodjob:

And no, that's for a new building (and the name will likely change), only able to build it if you have bananas.

any thoughts on nerfing marble. just getting gives you a wonder boost civ wide probably should on be in the city with it in the radius.

Marble is giving the bonus only to the city that have it in its "BFC". Don't know what happens if multiple cities have access to a quarry, but it is definately not civwide.

Yesterday I started a game with this mod, and I must say it's very good.
-The game pace is much more fun.
-The improved resources make them really nice to get, instead of just meh.
-The buildings too, make you want to build them, not like before.

Here are some observations:

- 20% faster units is far too OP for just unlocking honor. I would lower it to 10% or put it at the bottom of the tree.
- Between the better yields and the reduction in building maintentance, I'm swimming in gold. I would lower the income or increase the maintenance on some buildings. Or maybe of units.
- Teching seems still pretty fast in my game. Is it really increased by 50%? Doesn't look that much. Maybe the better yields makes it faster.
- In vanilla it was already too easy to do early warfare to win the game (easier than later). Now with the fast unit production, before and even more after unlocking honor, anhilating the AIs at early warfare is even easier. I can't tell you what, but it would be nice to compensate the cheaper units with something that helps defense. At least early game.

Thanks for your work, the game looks much more fun now.

Someone put out a mod that increased the hp and healing rate of cities. Perhaps you could try running that in conjunction with this mod. Reduced cost on walls with a maintenance of zero might help too (since early game units are actually cheaper).

Reduced cost on walls with a maintenance of zero might help too (since early game units are actually cheaper).

The problem is, the AI should be changed too to know that units are much faster now and it has to build walls. It's always the issue with balance changes, the AI has to be changed to take advantage of the new stuff. But the AI is anyway horrible on vanilla, so it's not that big issue.

A question, when we get new versions of this mod, do we have to download a new mod or can it be patched?

btw I can't see the new luxury resource window.

At what gamespeed is this mod supposed to be played? Cause i've started an epic game and now i just entered the medival age...at 200 BC :rolleyes:

At what gamespeed is this mod supposed to be played? Cause i've started an epic game and now i just entered the medival age...at 200 BC :rolleyes:

Did you had fun?`:king:
I'm playing also with epic speed & I love it. Actually I tweaked tech cost points so the game is really slow and challenge - warrior power :)

I played it at standard and techs still seemed too fast. Probably increasing their cost is countered by increasing resource yields

I played it at standard and techs still seemed too fast. Probably increasing their cost is countered by increasing resource yields

Tech is primarily population-related and this mod just doesn't increase your food input anywhere close to making up for th 50% higher cost in tech. It does increase how quickly you can build the science buildings of course, but until the medieval era, you have very little of those.

Top Bottom