Economy Mod

Immortal is intended to be hard. Actually I find Immortal and Diety the only challenging difficulties. In my current Immortal game as France, I'm in the industrial era controling all my continent (I conquered Iroquois, Japan (who conquered Egypt) and America without much problems. The war against Japan was really slow for the first 20-30 turns due to the full-strenght fighting Samurais. I think the key on higher diff is to be patient and bring reinforcements non-stop, eventually you'll progress. At the end of the war I had around 6 Cannons, 4 Knights and 16 Musketeers (Normal, Standard, Continents). Right now Russia controls the whole other continent and has an army about 3 times bigger than mine, so I plan to build a huge air/nuclear force and win by space.

Anyways, I love this mod, it makes the game more enjoyable, I play it without the workshop tho as in my last game the AI was spamming it everywhere and I didn't bother using it. Keep up the (very) good work, I really hope the devs will implement most of this in an official patch!

Glad to hear you're having fun with it. :goodjob:

This mod actually makes the AI more challenging as it can recover from its losses and bring reinforcements before you manage to take all its cities (especially with the higher difficulty bonuses). All in all a great improvement.

I'll also like to mirror the idea that too many completely distinct modifications should be their own mod and keep things a bit modular.

As I said, UI improvements generally won't function that way. As for the rest... I just don't like splitting it up. Floods the modbrowser too much IMO. I do, however, make sure that all my changes (xml, at least) are in their own files for both easy theft by other mods and easy removal for players.

I was finally able to get some mods loaded and was wondering if Economy mod would combine properly with other mods. There is a "Better Sulieman" mod and a "less crappy buildings" mod that I like, but I don't want to load two contradictory things and make my PC explode!

What would be a good guide? Don't load two things that affect the same stats? (i.e. Don't load a mod that does a 10% building reduction and Economy mod?)

Thanks!

I was finally able to get some mods loaded and was wondering if Economy mod would combine properly with other mods. There is a "Better Sulieman" mod and a "less crappy buildings" mod that I like, but I don't want to load two contradictory things and make my PC explode!

What would be a good guide? Don't load two things that affect the same stats? (i.e. Don't load a mod that does a 10% building reduction and Economy mod?)

Thanks!

As a rule of thumb, I'd only load one mod that reduces build costs (especially if both use SQL to do so, as mine and the Balance mod version do; They'll be multiplicative, not just additive :lol:), but otherwise it should be fine. UI additions are a bit questionable (depends on what files I've modified), but xml changes like Better Sulieman should be fine.

In fact, if I notice a mod I like I will recommend using it, rather than merging it and duplicating the code. It's only UI changes that I tend to merge or do myself, and that is due to their non-modularity.

UPDATE Technologies SET 'Cost' = cost*1.5 WHERE Cost > 0;

Valkrionn, why it's needed to add "WHERE Cost > 0" ?
To ignore some free tech or negative values? AFAIK there is no such in DB...

Valkrionn, why it's needed to add "WHERE Cost > 0" ?
To ignore some free tech or negative values? AFAIK there is no such in DB...

To be safe, is all. The initial reason was for units (Without that where, I was able to build GPs.... Fun, but certainly not what I intended. :p), yes, but I applied it to them all just to be sure I'm compatible with other mods.

Say someone adds a special new tech that you can't research; Maybe only certain civs start with it, or you earn it by completing certain actions, etc. Without that where, that mod would not function correctly with mine as the tech would be researchable by anyone, at a cost of 1 science.

Hope that makes sense. :goodjob:

Any chance of merging this? http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=387430

Mainly for the display of city-state allegiences... Though if lua mods can run together without problems, I guess it's not necessary (can they?)

Not too likely; Not sure if I want those changes. I could probably be talked into the City-State part, and the shift-mouseover to show city tiles. The rest I'm not too interested in.

And no, that mod will not work with this one, as both modify the same file (PlotHelpText, which formats the plot mouseover).

Rather, it won't work with v2 which should be ready soon.

Display of how long till a starving city falls, city state allegiance display.. what's not to like?

Oh well :(

That's a beauty of modding - you can always start your own mod or tweak someones mod :)
Valkrionn, will be waiting your Economy Mod v2 - i like the way you are thinking..

Display of how long till a starving city falls, city state allegiance display.. what's not to like?

Oh well :(

The starving display to me is utterly unnecessary and crowds the UI. You can already see your food bar; When that hits 0, you starve. Not hard, and doesn't warrant it's own display in the bar IMO.

The rest is marginal. I could take it or leave it. :p

That's a beauty of modding - you can always start your own mod or tweak someones mod :)
Valkrionn, will be waiting your Economy Mod v2 - i like the way you are thinking..

Exactly. ;)

All that's left for v2 is the bonus research buildings (and possibly remerging the Build Queue mod, with the tweaks I've already made of course [Purchasing doesn't hurt anything, functionality mirrors the Civ4 queue, queue is always on, checkbox is hidden, production list only expands if more than one item is in the queue (meaning those who ignore it and just select production each time have absolutely no change from default behavior)]).

In fact, if I notice a mod I like I will recommend using it, rather than merging it and duplicating the code. It's only UI changes that I tend to merge or do myself, and that is due to their non-modularity.

Thank you in advance for any mods you may recommend, and thanks for the wonderful mod.

I might have lost it in the shuffle, but are there plans to make Great Scientists (and research agreements) give a set number of research points instead of just a free tech? 1000 seems like a strong enough number for the investment and it makes even later game Academies more appealing.

Been playing with Economy mod and loving it thanks for your work Valkrionn.

Not had much exp with later ages as I always get bored early/mid game with my steamrolling to victory or blatant AI cheats.

Been playing with Economy mod and loving it thanks for your work Valkrionn.

Not had much exp with later ages as I always get bored early/mid game with my steamrolling to victory or blatant AI cheats.

Glad to hear you're liking it. ;)

Sorry for the lack of a release people, calculus work getting in the way. Will be done tonight (at which point I will have to start studying for a cinema test), so I'll take some time then to finish the resource buildings.

Here are the basic ideas:

• Wheat
    • Silo - Requires granary? Stores food
  • Cow
    • Leatherworker - Units built in city gain defensive promotion (Obsoletes), grants happy (leather usage)
  • Sheep
    • Textile Mill - flat commerce boost
  • Deer
    • Hunting Lodge - +production (and food?) from forests around the city
  • Banana
    • Plantation - +commerce and production, unhappiness, extra unhappiness with Equal Rights
  • Fish
    • Fishmonger - +food for farms (offal)
      • Need a better name. Anyone have a good name for an ancient fish processing plant? Won't pop into my head. Building represents the offal (guts) of the fish being collected and used as fertilizer, rather than discarded.

I lie it.

one thing i was thinking is that this game totally lacks coastal tile improvements. I'd like to see commercial fleet as a TI or a "natural port" as resource that adds gold to the water tile.

I agree. I'd like to add one or two, as well as some melee vessels (I'm sorry, but only ranged combat for ships is not cutting it. Too much of a pain to guard your embarked units). Issue with the improvement is art, though.

• Wheat
    • Silo - Requires granary? Stores food
  • Cow
    • Leatherworker - Units built in city gain defensive promotion (Obsoletes), grants happy (leather usage)
  • Sheep
    • Textile Mill - flat commerce boost
  • Deer
    • Hunting Lodge - +production (and food?) from forests around the city
  • Banana
    • Plantation - +commerce and production, unhappiness, extra unhappiness with Equal Rights
  • Fish
    • Fishmonger - +food for farms (offal)
      • Need a better name. Anyone have a good name for an ancient fish processing plant? Won't pop into my head. Building represents the offal (guts) of the fish being collected and used as fertilizer, rather than discarded.

Wheat seems redundant a granary is by definition a silo. Could you possibly split it into 2 shorter build time buildings (both together possibly = to the Silo build time?) to make choice and specialization more important Eg...

Bakery +food/Stores Food
and/or (depending on wheat supplies)
Brewery +Happiness -Production due to drunkards

Fishery all I can think of is a Smokie but that's more of a preservative building than a processing one :(

Top Bottom