Economy Mod

also, i just noticed that since you used SDK, this mod plays very nice with XML mods like my courthouse tweak, although i did have to adjust it to be more balanced with the additional 20% reduction. still, that is a very nice aspect of the modular modding system. :D

I like it, the pace of the game feels a lot better now. games are longer, and you get to spend more time actually using the units you build before upgrading them. and with the reduced production, it makes reinforcing a battered army before they break an actual possibility now. The AI puts up a bit more of a fight after the initial battle.

That was exactly what I was going for. :goodjob:

Bonus (non-luxury, non-strategic) Resource yields buffed; Must build the improvement to gain this extra yield

i assume that means things like deers/etc.? in which case are you planning on buffing strategic/luxury resources like ice's mod?

Yes, just tile improvement resources. Cows, Sheep, Wheat, Fish, Bananas, Deer. Exact yields are as follows:

• Resource - Improvement - Boost - Actual Yield
  • Cow - Pasture - +1 :food: - 1:food:, 1:hammers:
  • Sheep - Pasture - +1 :commerce: - 1:food:, 1:commerce:
  • Wheat - Farm - +2 :food: - 2:food: (Had no bonus by default! :crazyeye:)
  • Fish - Fishing Boats - +1 :commerce: - 3:commerce: (Water tiles suck)
  • Banana - Plantation - +1 :food: - 3:food: (So do jungles)
  • Deer - Camp - +1 :commerce: - 1:food:, 1:commerce:
I currently have no plans to buff other resources; They have valid uses, they do not need to make the tile as strong. With these 6, their only current affect is their yield, so they needed a boost.

also, i just noticed that since you used SDK, this mod plays very nice with XML mods like my courthouse tweak, although i did have to adjust it to be more balanced with the additional 20% reduction. still, that is a very nice aspect of the modular modding system. :D

Yep, will automatically adjust the costs of other mods, assuming they are activated first. :goodjob:

To install the file directly, it should go in My Games/Civilization5/MODS.

Assuming you have it there, what do you see when you go into the game? Is there an 'Install Mods' button in the bottom right of the modbrowser when you open it to the 'Installed Mods' page? If so, click it.

Failing that, you can extract the civ5mod file using 7zip.
see.

Thanks a lot, it's work! Great! :crazyeye:

excellent ideas. My main problem now is with the Great Scientist slingshotting to Civil Service (which, admittedly, I do almost every game since I usually play Persia and want the longer golden age wonder ^ ^)

This pretty much matches what I was thinking of for a mod dealing with the economy. Is there any plan to add some military upkeep reductions so a player can field an army large enough to defend their empire without bankrupting themselves?

Also, with +50% build time is there any plan (as previous posters have mentioned) to alter the great scientist ability? I had a thought to make them worth 100 science x2 per age increment (x2 Classical, x4 Medieval, x6 Renaissance, etc.). Also, have the game turns been tweaked to allow for the increased tech time and science victories?

excellent ideas. My main problem now is with the Great Scientist slingshotting to Civil Service (which, admittedly, I do almost every game since I usually play Persia and want the longer golden age wonder ^ ^)

I may have to modify that ability, we'll see. For now I'm going to focus on their tile improvements, though. ;)

This pretty much matches what I was thinking of for a mod dealing with the economy. Is there any plan to add some military upkeep reductions so a player can field an army large enough to defend their empire without bankrupting themselves?

Also, with +50% build time is there any plan (as previous posters have mentioned) to alter the great scientist ability? I had a thought to make them worth 100 science x2 per age increment (x2 Classical, x4 Medieval, x6 Renaissance, etc.). Also, have the game turns been tweaked to allow for the increased tech time and science victories?

Possible. I know I will be reducing maintenance of the defensive buildings, at the very least.

Game turns have not been tweaked, but they were off enough that I'm not sure they have to be.

One thing I always thought to consider was setting a duration for upkeep on various things (defensive structures included) since most buildings eventually start to become tourist attractions and make money. Just look at old castles in Europe. Many aren't used as castles anymore (although they could serve in a pinch), but they are definite tourist traps. Other buildings pay for themselves in other ways. Watermills were businesses most of the time as are factories. A granary once it reached capacity was a profitable thing even since it allowed for excess grain to be sold as well.

There are a lot of options. Looking forward to the future of this mod though!

One thing I always thought to consider was setting a duration for upkeep on various things (defensive structures included) since most buildings eventually start to become tourist attractions and make money. Just look at old castles in Europe. Many aren't used as castles anymore (although they could serve in a pinch), but they are definite tourist traps. Other buildings pay for themselves in other ways. Watermills were businesses most of the time as are factories. A granary once it reached capacity was a profitable thing even since it allowed for excess grain to be sold as well.

There are a lot of options. Looking forward to the future of this mod though!

Not a bad idea, but likely out of reach of what I can do without DLL access.

Right now I'm working on my Bonus Resource changes. :goodjob:

Hello Valkrionn

Very nice adjustments, something the game needed in my opinion (althou it doesnt prevent the determined player to adv to Medieval before 1000BC).

Have a small issue with it, the Build Ques seem to be locked in that state, cant change to just, point and click single build.(Uncheck the Show Build Que and nothing happens)
Read the comments here and nobody else seems to have mentioned this issue, maybe I installed it incorrectly? I installed it manualy not with the ingame UI (since its a bit buggy).

..\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Economy Mod

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit is my OS if that helps.

Hello Valkrionn

Very nice adjustments, something the game needed in my opinion (althou it doesnt prevent the determined player to adv to Medieval before 1000BC).

Have a small issue with it, the Build Ques seem to be locked in that state, cant change to just, point and click single build.(Uncheck the Show Build Que and nothing happens)
Read the comments here and nobody else seems to have mentioned this issue, maybe I installed it incorrectly? I installed it manualy not with the ingame UI (since its a bit buggy).

..\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Economy Mod

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit is my OS if that helps.

That's actually intended; It's a hack, and without making it more complex I can't allow that to be disabled. I am planning to go in and allow you to toggle production, but as yet have not had time to do more than just include it... And IMO, the functionality was worth the tradeoff.

I don't like this building queue, and wish to turn it off. I don't like it because if I purchase a unit, the production change as well.

I don't like building units and end up deleting them until I get currency or research conversion production. Can you add in an idle conversion production?

I don't like this building queue, and wish to turn it off. I don't like it because if I purchase a unit, the production change as well.

I don't like building units and end up deleting them until I get currency or research conversion production. Can you add in an idle conversion production?

I'm going to be modifying the way the queue works; Either you will be able to turn it on and off (preferable), or a click will simply choose production and exit. Shift-click will append to the end of the queue. Ctrl-click will append to the front. Alt-click will wipe the queue and then place the item.

I'm planning to add idle conversions, yes. I've stated so already. ;)

Right now, I'm working on the bonus resource plans I have.

I'm going to be modifying the way the queue works; Either you will be able to turn it on and off (preferable), or a click will simply choose production and exit. Shift-click will append to the end of the queue. Ctrl-click will append to the front. Alt-click will wipe the queue and then place the item.

I'm planning to add idle conversions, yes. I've stated so already. ;)

Right now, I'm working on the bonus resource plans I have.

alrighty, i do need that Idle Conversion, i hate building useless units and overpopulating my lands with workers with this building queue.

I also wish there was a small mod that if you hold alt or ctrl, and press one of those purchase lands, you purchase all of the available land instead of just one. You can only do this if you have the money to afford it and also a warning message and money cost. This help speed up buying land as a whole instead of indiviually.

edit: I'm trying to find the other conversion's so I can see if I can get ahead and made an idle conversion myself and release it as a mod component so others can download it and spend less time doing it themselves. It's not in the building's which i've been looking at, so where is the conversion data?

Please remove my mod from yours, I did not give you permission to distribute it - I will be posting it to the mod hub myself as soon as I fix a few minor issues :)

I would've PMed, but I can't find the option anywhere - maybe I'm too new to be allowed that? :)

Please remove my mod from yours, I did not give you permission to distribute it - I will be posting it to the mod hub myself as soon as I fix a few minor issues :)

I would've PMed, but I can't find the option anywhere - maybe I'm too new to be allowed that? :)

Alright, will do; I had asked in your thread a few days ago, got no response, went ahead and included it as a result.

In any case, something I've added pretty well demands that I write my own version anyway. :lol:

And yeah, need (IIRC) 10 posts and 10 days as a member to PM.

alrighty, i do need that Idle Conversion, i hate building useless units and overpopulating my lands with workers with this building queue.

I also wish there was a small mod that if you hold alt or ctrl, and press one of those purchase lands, you purchase all of the available land instead of just one. You can only do this if you have the money to afford it and also a warning message and money cost. This help speed up buying land as a whole instead of indiviually.

edit: I'm trying to find the other conversion's so I can see if I can get ahead and made an idle conversion myself and release it as a mod component so others can download it and spend less time doing it themselves. It's not in the building's which i've been looking at, so where is the conversion data?

Sorry, didn't notice your edit. They aren't called conversions, but Processes; And they are located in Assets\Gameplay\XML\GameInfo\Civ5Processes.xml.

Oh God, are we taking this route now? I know people want credit for their mods and such, but I've played games where modders decided to lock down their mods. It's a total pain in the arse for users, and since I don't see a copyright on your mod, Magus424, Valkrionn did nothing wrong. In fact, he isn't even obligated to credit you.

Allowing mod sharing is part of what made Civ4 mods so great. Locking them down is only going to hurt the end user... unless that's secretly what you want all along. ;)

PS, nice job Valkrionn. Just started a game with v.1. Lots better than vanilla!

Oh God, are we taking this route now? I know people want credit for their mods and such, but I've played games where modders decided to lock down their mods. It's a total pain in the arse for users, and since I don't see a copyright on your mod, Magus424, Valkrionn did nothing wrong. In fact, he isn't even obligated to credit you.

Allowing mod sharing is part of what made Civ4 mods so great. Locking them down is only going to hurt the end user... unless that's secretly what you want all along. ;)

PS, nice job Valkrionn. Just started a game with v.1. Lots better than vanilla!

Honestly, I thought pretty much exactly that ("Is this Oblivion now?" :lol:), but I don't really mind. I've been aggravated with people doing things like that before.

Of course, there is a significant difference between what I did (Asking permission, waiting a few days without response before acting, giving ample credit) and what others have done (No permission asked, no credit given, act as if it was your idea), but hey. :p

As I said, it's not really important. I was already planning on making a screen for it, as I need to display some other information (concerning bonus resources).

And glad to hear you like it! As I said, it's mostly something for me to point to when suggesting certain modifications to the devs, though. :p You should take a look at the SQL stuff... I was quite pleased to get that working so easily. :lol:

Honestly, I thought pretty much exactly that ("Is this Oblivion now?" :lol:), but I don't really mind. I've been aggravated with people doing things like that before.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one completely put off by his behavior. I want to put a stop to this abhorrent mentality before other people start getting the same idea. Mods are for sharing. If you don't want me ripping you off, don't upload it to the internet.

Of course, there is a significant difference between what I did (Asking permission, waiting a few days without response before acting, giving ample credit) and what others have done (No permission asked, no credit given, act as if it was your idea), but hey. :p

It's irrelevant. He has no copyright notice, so his mod is public domain. Public domain works can be used by anyone, for anything, without credit. (Heck, you could have used his mod and sold it for $, and it would still be legal!) ;)

As I said, it's not really important. I was already planning on making a screen for it, as I need to display some other information (concerning bonus resources).

I'd love to help you out if you need it, even if it be simply alpha testing changes. ;) Without the Source Code, I'm kinda like a boat out of water, not exactly sure what to do. It's such a huge change from being able to mod whatever I wanted with Civ4... so I haven't done anything with Civ5 yet.

And glad to hear you like it! As I said, it's mostly something for me to point to when suggesting certain modifications to the devs, though. :p You should take a look at the SQL stuff... I was quite pleased to get that working so easily. :lol:

I looked at it. It's awesome that the XML data can be manipulated so easily. I hated having to modify 100 entries back for Civ4.

This might be out of the realm of your mod, but City Defenses really need to be addressed. If the actual values can't be made to deal more damage, then the initial city defenses needs to be much higher, and the defensive buildings need to be much more powerful.

Top Bottom