- <Table name="Processes">
<Column name="ID" type="integer" primarykey="true" autoincrement="true" />
<Column name="Type" type="text" notnull="true" unique="true" />
<Column name="Description" type="text" />
<Column name="Help" type="text" />
<Column name="Strategy" type="text" />
<Column name="TechPrereq" type="text" reference="Technologies(Type)" />
<Column name="PortraitIndex" type="integer" default="-1" />
<Column name="IconAtlas" type="text" default="NULL" reference="IconTextureAtlases(Atlas)" />
</Table>
- <Table name="Process_ProductionYields">
<Column name="ProcessType" type="text" reference="Processes(Type)" />
<Column name="YieldType" type="text" reference="Yields(Type)" />
<Column name="Yield" type="integer" notnull="true" />
</Table>
- <Processes>
- <Row>
<ID>0</ID>
<Type>PROCESS_IDLE</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_PROCESS_IDLE</Description>
<Help>TXT_KEY_PROCESS_IDLE_HELP</Help>
<Strategy>TXT_KEY_PROCESS_IDLE_STRATEGY</Strategy>
<TechPrereq>TECH_AGRICULTURE</TechPrereq>
<IconAtlas>CITIZEN_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
<PortraitIndex>9</PortraitIndex>
</Row>
- <Row>
<ProcessType>PROCESS_WEALTH</ProcessType>
<YieldType>YIELD_GOLD</YieldType>
<Yield>5</Yield>
</Row>
</GameData>

This is the only file I made, I try looking up the modder's guide and it really did not give me any infomation on how to properly apply special things such as processes and other infomation. So I am having a hard time. Do i also need to add this into the technology tree? I've already listed it to be with Agriculture, but it did not appear? So what am I doing wrong?

What I am triyng to do is add a process called Idle that you automatically get at the start of the game, I don't know if I had to put it on a technology, but if I have to, I already set it to Technology. Now i am thinking that I might need art, and all i need is that same art file that is used for the UI "wake" icon art to add for processing in the list. How do I Make it appear in the list?

well, it's simple enough to mix and match as usually theyre in their seperate files, so for example if you dont want say gold process being 25% then u can just delete the file

This is fantastic Valkrionn! Great to see it. May I make a few suggestions for changes which you may like to add. These are things that I think will help balance the game out a bit more:
1: In keeping with the communitywide thirst for more production I think that lumber mills and mines should get +1 production at some point. Mines at machinery or engineering and lumbermills at steam power. (love the inclusion of the workshop btw!)

2: On a similar vein you could make it so culture is equally (or at least a bit more than currently) likely to expand onto hills as it is onto flatland so we can actually build mines!

3: Trading posts yield increases from 2 to 3 gold at printing press (hopefully this will balance out the increased maintenance you will be paying due to having more buiildings in every city)

Hope you like my ideas, looking forward to giving your mod a go!

im kinda vexxed at the build que mod, since i hate pressing back every time

Any way to have the build list automatically close again? Also, what other mods is this one incompatible with? I'm still using Iceciro's mods.

Don't know if it was mentioned, but there is a global value that you can adjust to affects the costs of all buildings...and of all units. Its simpler than having to adjust them all with a find/replace or a sql statement.

For future mods that might be of use to you.

id really like to see defensive buildings maintentence cut completely, as someone said a wall doesnt have upkeep, and it'll make them useful! currently i don't think anyone builds them due to upkeep - maybe have the higher tech ones have some tech keep like castle - as castles have guards and the like!

also i'd like to see genreally useless buildings (granary? etc.) somehow made more useful, maybe something like them getting better the bigger your city or the like?

I won't cut it completely, but I will reduce them.

And some of those buildings will get better. Part of the resource tweaks I'm making. ;)

ah, then I must be blind and not see much competition here. As I never see any fanboy's saying "Fall from Heaven 2 is way better then that piece of **** called Rise of Mankind" or something like that (just an example, not directly flaming anybody). As all the mod's that I've seen and play, I only see each and every mod is different. From Total Realism trying to add in realistic stuff, from Rise of Mankind extending the vinalla Civ 4 to a bigger, better game filled with so much content to make it look very good. To Keal making his Fall from Heaven 2, I've never seen any competition towards Fall from Heaven 2.

So I never seen anything that make the forum go round visibly besides friendly people trying to rise their mod to the height before the expansion comes or when a new civ games come's. That is how I see it and still see it now.

Anyway's, i'm busy trying to see if I can make this idle process for ya, then submit it to the forum and anyone can borrow it to make what use of it on their own mod's. thanks for showing me the link, now I just try to see what I could do with this. Any help will be appreciated as this be my first time modding something for any Civ game (not general tweaks, actually adding something to the game).

Eh... Different kind of competition. By nature, all mods compete for players, and most mod authors want as many players as they can.

Just because you don't see people slamming other mods doesn't mean they aren't competing. It's just a friendly competition. :lol:

From my point of view the game is too slow at the beginning. I thought about adjusting costs of military units so the civilization would be able to build each of them in 5 turns tops.

For Ancient Era it would all have to be cut -80%. For other eras the cut would need to be smaller as the city production is increasing. For Modern Era cutting would not be needed at all.

What would be the result of that - more wars, small wars, especially in the beginning. Now the units are to expensive to risk a war with 1 unit, and to get a reasonable amount of them I would need to wait 1000-2000 years (because I cannot focus on building units all the time).

Second problem that it solves is that usually I get Archery and Bronze Working even before I thing about building second unit so a "little moster" called Warrior is usually a single freak in my army (unless I find a ruin and it's gets free upgrade to Spearmen :) )

I would disagree with that. My test game, I had spearmen coming out at around 5 turns with the current changes. Doesn't need to go any weaker.

I am sorry but i have to disagree with that. I played a whole day on huge map, with max number of civs and states on marathon.

I love the changes done here and you can actually have small wars all over without any problems. And gold is very easy to get - just buy few units.
----------

Here are some observation from last night testing: (i am still in early game !)
(i may be wrong ofc game is still new :) )

huge map
max number of civs
marathon
race: egypt

- It's not possible to rush all wonders with Egypt like in vanilla simply because teching is taking too long
- Great Pyramid is losing a bit on value because it's either not worth rushing to it because you must carefully plan what to tech or you simply don't feel the need for it since game is long.
- Cities can grow very fast and you usually must know when to stop growing them so they can catch up with tech. (in my case well and granary were wasted build time)
- More time spent in certain age gives you more time to micro units, and wage a lot of wars without any fear they will be obsolete that fast
- By the time you finish your first or second tech u will find yourself explored almost whole map (huge)
- Rune that gives free tech is very imbalanced here
- Larger empires will have much more advantage than smaller ones in terms of culture and science in later game.
- regular resources feel more important than in vanilla

I hope this helps :D

I'll take a look at all this soone. ;)

Your mod looks very promising so far, I just wanted to suggest that you maybe shouldn't mix all these features.

Balance changes are one thing, new tile improvements another, and UI changes a third thing. I'd like try the balance changes soon, but I'm not sure if I want an iconless new improvement (does the AI use it right?) or the build queue change.

Or is it easy to split your mod for the user?

I don't want to flood the mod database with a bunch of little mods.

Splitting it isn't hard, I kept every change in it's own file (or folder, in the case of UI changes)

alright, how can I apply the processes right? this is what i've done
Spoiler :
<GameData>
- <Table name="Processes">
<Column name="ID" type="integer" primarykey="true" autoincrement="true" />
<Column name="Type" type="text" notnull="true" unique="true" />
<Column name="Description" type="text" />
<Column name="Help" type="text" />
<Column name="Strategy" type="text" />
<Column name="TechPrereq" type="text" reference="Technologies(Type)" />
<Column name="PortraitIndex" type="integer" default="-1" />
<Column name="IconAtlas" type="text" default="NULL" reference="IconTextureAtlases(Atlas)" />
</Table>
- <Table name="Process_ProductionYields">
<Column name="ProcessType" type="text" reference="Processes(Type)" />
<Column name="YieldType" type="text" reference="Yields(Type)" />
<Column name="Yield" type="integer" notnull="true" />
</Table>
- <Processes>
- <Row>
<ID>0</ID>
</Row>
- <Row>
<ProcessType>PROCESS_WEALTH</ProcessType>
<Yield>5</Yield>
</Row>
</GameData>

This is the only file I made, I try looking up the modder's guide and it really did not give me any infomation on how to properly apply special things such as processes and other infomation. So I am having a hard time. Do i also need to add this into the technology tree? I've already listed it to be with Agriculture, but it did not appear? So what am I doing wrong?

What I am triyng to do is add a process called Idle that you automatically get at the start of the game, I don't know if I had to put it on a technology, but if I have to, I already set it to Technology. Now i am thinking that I might need art, and all i need is that same art file that is used for the UI "wake" icon art to add for processing in the list. How do I Make it appear in the list?

Tech prereq has no default (can check the schema there, which btw should not be included in mod files. ;)), so what you did there works. Try something like this:
Code:
<GameData>
     <Processes>
         <Row>
            <ID>0</ID>
        </Row>
        <Row>
            <ProcessType>PROCESS_IDLE</ProcessType>
            <Yield>5</Yield>
        </Row>
    </GameData>

This is fantastic Valkrionn! Great to see it. May I make a few suggestions for changes which you may like to add. These are things that I think will help balance the game out a bit more:
1: In keeping with the communitywide thirst for more production I think that lumber mills and mines should get +1 production at some point. Mines at machinery or engineering and lumbermills at steam power. (love the inclusion of the workshop btw!)

2: On a similar vein you could make it so culture is equally (or at least a bit more than currently) likely to expand onto hills as it is onto flatland so we can actually build mines!

3: Trading posts yield increases from 2 to 3 gold at printing press (hopefully this will balance out the increased maintenance you will be paying due to having more buiildings in every city)

Hope you like my ideas, looking forward to giving your mod a go!

I'm not sure I want to buff mines (I've said before I hate the focus on hills; Or rather, the over-focus on them. Hills went from useful to required, which is bad IMO), but will be looking at production again. Specifically tech-improvements like you mentioned.

I doubt I can modify that, would take DLL.

That would go with the first one, will take a look.

With improvements, though, I have a plan involving GP that I want to try and get working first. Will definitely take Lua scripting, but we'll see. ;)

im kinda vexxed at the build que mod, since i hate pressing back every time

Same, I'm going to work on it soon.

Any way to have the build list automatically close again? Also, what other mods is this one incompatible with? I'm still using Iceciro's mods.

Should be compatible with any that do not modify certain interface files. Ice's would be compatible.

Don't know if it was mentioned, but there is a global value that you can adjust to affects the costs of all buildings...and of all units. Its simpler than having to adjust them all with a find/replace or a sql statement.

For future mods that might be of use to you.

I know, but I dislike changing things like that. In the same way, I could have just tweaked gamespeed settings.

I vastly prefer updating costs. By tweaking core values, I run far less risk of borking the AI, and keep it compatible with everything else.

Trying to make an inde process that give you half of gold then the one on currency.

do I really need to copy and paste the whole table like I did to the top? the one's with the columns?

Ok, I did previously deleted the tables, I did the same thing as you did when you posted that code, however it still did not appear in the game for some reason. What is do I need to do to get this idle process working?

You are doing this from within modbuddy, correct? Well, assuming you are: You need to tell the game to load your xml. To do this, go to the modproperties (Right-click the project itself over in the table on the right, select properties), go to actions, and enter the following:

OnModActivated | UpdateDatabase | Your xml file here

For me, it would be:

OnModActivated | UpdateDatabase | XML/GameInfo/ImprovedWealth.xml

You are doing this from within modbuddy, correct? Well, assuming you are: You need to tell the game to load your xml. To do this, go to the modproperties (Right-click the project itself over in the table on the right, select properties), go to actions, and enter the following:

OnModActivated | UpdateDatabase | Your xml file here

For me, it would be:

OnModActivated | UpdateDatabase | XML/GameInfo/ImprovedWealth.xml

So i did that, I put in:

OnModActivated | UpdateDatabase | Idle Process.xml

Also yes, i've did this whole thing on modbuddy, I've been following Kael's Modding guide and most of the modding is based on using this special program. So I used it to follow up on some of this, and try to find infomation on how to do processes, but he didn't add anything like that, just basic "how to do civilization, objects, and units" and how to published your mod into the game browser.

I've entered the info, and saved my build, yet it still somehow not appearing in the game.

edit:

Idle process.xml is my file name, but from your own, it sound like you added a pathfile for it.

So i did that, I put in:

OnModActivated | UpdateDatabase | Idle Process.xml

Also yes, i've did this whole thing on modbuddy, I've been following Kael's Modding guide and most of the modding is based on using this special program. So I used it to follow up on some of this, and try to find infomation on how to do processes, but he didn't add anything like that, just basic "how to do civilization, objects, and units" and how to published your mod into the game browser.

I've entered the info, and saved my build, yet it still somehow not appearing in the game.

edit:

Idle process.xml is my file name, but from your own, it sound like you added a pathfile for it.

Did you go to Build -> Build Solution?

Top Bottom