Editor - Ideas and Suggestions

Sorry for being absent. My Conquests BIQ went corrupted and just vanished. :| - busy there.

Originally Posted by Cyc
If adding a decimal point to the A/D options for a unit on the units page is beyond what we can do, then it can't be done. But having the option would be nice.

Originally Posted by Jimmyh
It can be done, I just need to understand why you need it, when some thing else would do.

Originally Posted by Cyc
Well, see MPK and I see it in a different light. Why spend all the time required to bump up the A/D for the later units if using slight increases for the begining units will suffice. Adding a decimal point option for all units will increase the usability of the Editor. Plus make the game more fun for those of us who like to experiment.

Thanks Cyc... i couldn't think of how to word a reply,,, but you said it. "Usability". And at the beginning 'Slight Increases' is all we need.

I play a longer drawn out Civ game...I play near up to 1000 turns, everything costs more. I make it more difficult to make settlers to also keep the building of cities slower. I have slowed the game play down. I like the Ancient times. Just my Warrior Units go through 3-5 stages.

[1]I start with Tribal Meso Warrior.......= cost 10 / att-1 -- def-1 ...
= no resource required;( Unit has no military training)

[2]I upgrade to Mesoamerican Warrior.= cost 15 / att-1(1.5-?) def-1(?)
= cotton required. bronze working required:(Unit has some Military training, but not a full time soldier)
[3]I upgrade to Macuahuitl = Cost: 20 att-2 - def-1 (1.5?)
= Obsidian Required. Mysticism Required:(basic well trained Warrior Unit)

[elite warrior units]
Mexica Warrior= Cost 25 att-2 - def 2
=Obsidian & Cotton. Polytheism Required:

Mexica Cuachicqueh= Cost 30 att 2 def-3 (2.5?)
=Obsidian, Cotton & Jade = Polytheism Required:

These just need slight increases as Cyc states. Not whole number increases. .5 or even .25 would work for me. here I have 5 different warriors all slowly increasing in their abilities,,,adding 1 whole digit to them won't work.

This works for all early units.. I have same situation with archers and spearmen. Ships could use this 'slight' increase as well.

I have one more idea which may be interesting - I'd like to ask Takhisis to review and approve it if is interesting.

There's a special ability of units developed for Civ-4 units I saw in the Realism Invictus mod - "Fear". In terms of the game, ability meaning is to decrease defense of units located in 1 tile distance around the unit with this ability. So, probably, this may be introduced into the new game Jimmyh works on.

Sorry if idea is the dup, thanks for the review.

I'd been thinking (after some brief spate of R:TW) that, instead of generating armies which consist of banding together a lot of units that all share their HP and constitute an unstoppable phalanx (that the Civ3 AI doesn't attack because of lousy programming to boot), they could be replaced by standards that 'inspire' nearby troops (for example, a Roman eagle and other insignia, Germanic pagans with horse heads on spears, Christians and the Cross, samurai with their lord's personal banner, etc.), just like historical leaders for special scenarios would (for example, in LotR, some Elves give hope while Sauron and the Dragons cause dread, etc.)… so a negative bonus on the same lines should also work… some of these could be used to give both, some things could be scary to anyone who gets there, etc. Could also be used for traps/pits/trenches etc.

After playing Victoria 2, I think it might be nice if you could just make armies without leaders. In Total War and Victoria you mix units together without a general, why not for civ?
In this way leaders would just be a moral booster when they appear.

Or a very special combatant like the hero units in the WarCraft series?

Either could be achieved, if the leader gave the units a morale boost, then it'd be like a general. If you gave the leader attack and defence points then it could be considered a hero or elite unit.
The main thing is I dont like that you need a leader to build an army.

Heh, the main thing is I don't like armies themselves (it's a bit like Banding was in MtG) myself, but if you make this a modding platform you can have both, either, or none.

One more interesting (IMHO) thing I inspired from the same mod - composite resources.
Example: there are 2 simple (regular in terms of the Civ-3) resources: wood (strategic) & grape (luxury = happiness). Combining them, there's a composite resource "wine" appears, which brings happiness + income. It would be located near the grape resource - thus saying there could be an option "geographically assign to:" with selection of 1 combined resources.
Thanks for reviewing!

Yes, I ranted on about 'manufactured' resources (for example mud -> bricks, or copper+tin -> bronze, wood -> coal, etc.), and I should dig up the post(s) on that.

It's somewhere among the hundreds of posts I've downloaded, I know it's in there. It has to be. :vexedsmiley:

Top Bottom