[BTS] Eliminate Global Warming

Perdedor

Chieftain
Hey guys,

I'm really stuck here; global warming is just destroying my Civ. I changed the global warming probability to 0 in the XML file, but it's still happening. I have a feeling I'm missing a tiny step, but can't figure it out.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!!

Are you trying to change it in an existing game? If so, it is too late. The parameters are established when you start a new game, changes in the XML don't change what is happening in an ongoing game. If you are having this problem with a newly started game, after making the change, it could be that you made the change in the wrong version of the game. That is easy to do by mistake. The three locations are:

...\Civilization 4\Assets\XML

...\Civilization 4\Warlords\Assets\XML

...\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML

Better yet copy the four lines of code into a folder in CustomAssets/XML and call it GlobalDefines.xml. Change the number in that to 0.

Global warming is definitely a huge fail. Just for kicks I fired like 50 tactical nukes to end the game, and clicked one more turn. My capital starved because it became all desert. :p

Hey! Thanks for responding.

I changed the file before starting a new game. I'll definitely do what you suggested. Wish me luck!

Thanks again for the help. :thumbsup:

Hahah a huge fail for sure, Archon. Too funny about the nukes!

Are you trying to change it in an existing game? If so, it is too late. The parameters are established when you start a new game, changes in the XML don't change what is happening in an ongoing game. If you are having this problem with a newly started game, after making the change, it could be that you made the change in the wrong version of the game. That is easy to do by mistake. The three locations are:

...\Civilization 4\Assets\XML

...\Civilization 4\Warlords\Assets\XML

...\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML

Better yet copy the four lines of code into a folder in CustomAssets/XML and call it GlobalDefines.xml. Change the number in that to 0.

Okay, I think I did it right. Here's to hoping it works. Sucks that I have to abandon my current game, though. Boooourns.

I think I know what's happening!I knew I was doing something stupid.

I'm running the (great) 'Extra' Mod, and the Global Defines file in there had the regular Global Warming value. Thing is, though, it won't let me edit it because I don't have permission. I'm accessing the file via C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Civ4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Extra\Assets\XML\Global Defines. I totally forget how to get around that. Does anyone know how to?

Thanks again, all.

-- Okay, I got it set to '0'. I think all is well now. I'm going to try to pollute as much as I can in a new game to see what happens.

Last edited:
In real life I was raised/educated to believe that a nuclear war would lead to a nuclear winter. Curious as to why the game developers made it global warming.

In real life I was raised/educated to believe that a nuclear war would lead to a nuclear winter. Curious as to why the game developers made it global warming.

Ahhhhh yes, very good point. A Mod with a nuclear winter would be pretty cool, actually.

Top Bottom