EMA Frequently Asked Questions

There is no BTS version. i dont know when a BTS version will come out. ask head serf about that, as he is the mod leader. dont hold your breath for BTS conversion, though.

Converting a mod to BtS is near impossible through my experience. For me it was easier starting from scratch.

I've been playing this mod a bit lately and enjoying it immensely. Having made a scenario in C3C, I can well appreciate the thought and effort that's gone into this. It's paid off, big time. So many thanks!

That said, there are some gameplay queries I have. I hope someone will be kind enough to answer and that this is the right place to raise them (which thread is the current one is a little confusing):

~ Caravan Units: What is one to do with these? I built one to find out, because the pedia doesn't make it clear, and I find I can't do anything with it. It doesn't seem to be like a Great Merchant, nor like the old civ2 caravans, for they offer no option upon sending them to any city. I get the impression from the automated action options that it can be used as a super worker, providing more cash income on a tile, but I haven't found the opportunity to do this yet. Please clarify.

~ Spacerace Victories: I mean The Silk Road, The New World and The Hanseatic League projects. The pedia entries for these are also unclear. It would be good to know for sure if there is a base wonder, like the Apollo Programme, to kick each of these victory projects off. And also if each of those is a World Wonder, or just National. I note that the pedia entry for "Victory" has not been edited. So players are left in the dark somewhat and it would be great if someone could break it down.

~ Holy City & Holy Shrine: I conquered Constantinople and (re-?)built the Orthodox Holy Shrine. I note that there doesn't seem to be any cash coming in from the temples built. I take it there isn't supposed to be any income from this building? If not, is there some other building that lets you cash in on spreading religion?

~ Christian Relics: Having built the shrine, these are now on tap. But I'm wondering - Are these only associated with wonders, meaning that one wonder is a pre-requisite for the others that provide more relics? Can they be amassed to trade with also, as with Rock'n'Roll and Hit Singles, for example?

Finally, my thanks again for all the great work that's gone into this.

I havent played this for a while so my answers may be wrong, but here they are:
Caravan Units: They act like workers that can only build plantation improvements for exotic resources.
'Space Race' Victory: They are limited to certaint regions. IIRC, all you have to do is start them is build a national wonder with the right tech. The only wonders for space race are the Hanseatic league ones and there are 5 of them.
Holy City: Did you build the shrine of the reliquary? You get money based on the number of cities with that religion.
Relics: I think these can be traded. I never used my prophet for that.

Thanks for your answers Ajidica. I worked out all those problems with your kind help, and also realised that I was getting cash out of the religious shrines after all.

i'm kinda knew to the whole mod thing but i kinda get it but i can't get the EMA scenarios to work. i hav downloaded the v0.74 EMA file. i unzipped it and put it in my Mod folder. in the public map folder in the EMA file i put in several scenarios(Dark Ages, Vikings, Crusdaes, etc). wen i go to play the a scenario(i hav the orginal version of Civ IV, vanilla i think its called) it tells me to restart the game and i say yes. wen it reboots none of the scenarios for EMA are there. Nxt i tried opening the files from the Public map folder and get several results:

for the viking ones: to start with, i get a pop-up titled 'Mod Error' and it says 'Mods/European Middle Ages 0.74/ is an invalid mod directory, ignoring' w/ an ok button, which i click. when the game starts i can choose any civilization and when i start i only hav that civs starting techs. since it 480 AD or so i know this is wrong. i simply quit from there.

for the Small/Large Medieval Europe, The Crusades and Age of Kings files,:i get the same pop-up and wen i start i can only choose saladin and once i start i emmidiately loose with 10000 points and a blank map.

for the Dark Ages files: i get the pop-up again and can choose any civ. wen i start every civ is on the same square with a settler and 1 other unit

plz reply by email preferably,
thanks a million--buckyd

Are you sure that EMA is in the mod directory that goes programfiles/firaxisgames/Civ4/....? Also, does the game work fine when you play random maps? Last question, does the public maps file say 'publicmaps'? There cant be any spaces between them. The Crusades scenario wont work because it was made for EMA .4, the mod is currently at .74. Hope these answer your questions.

EDIT: For my first question, are you sure that the EMA folder isnt inside another folder called EMA? If that is the case, the game wotn load maps.

the game is just fine in all other aspects. i did hav the folder in another folder, so thanks. wen i load the mod and restart i hav all the scenarios there but wen i go to play them(after restarting) it says i must restart the game to load the mod and wen i click ok i get the pop-up again. also, whenever i just hav the original configuration settings file and load the mod it makes a new configuration settings file with the same title minus the 4 at the end

The Viking Age scenario starts in 480 AD, thats intentional. Check your maps files in public maps to make sure that the modpath in them says EMA .74, not something else.

Could somebody help me? I've downloaded the mod and put the Medieval Europe unzipped folder into my "mods" folder and put the Map into the Publicmaps folder. But, when I try to load the mod from the Advanced menu, I get a massive XML error where it says for example:
"Tag: CIVIC_LAW_BASIC in Info class was incorrect. Current XML file is: Civilizations/CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml"

I've done a little bit more exploring, and found that the version I downloaded from the Modpacks forum might be out of date considering you guys have already made .74 and such, and the one I downloaded says .33.

I'll delete what I downloaded and try the newer ones and see if that fixes it.

Um yea,how do i actally get it to start?i read the readme,but i get lost.

help?

I need more information to help, but a few first things:
Is it in Core civ, not BTS or WL?
Is everything unzipped?
Do you have any errors on load?
Is it in Program files directory as opposed to My Games directory?

Top Bottom