1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Emperor SG

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by MrFelony, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Zargon

Zargon Warlord

We're boxed in. I think we need to shift gears to early rush. However, we have so little land that it's very possible copper won't be in our land. If there's no copper, well.... I'll have a painful set of turns next, lol.

Hard to say, but you might consider growing to size 3 before building a settler, depending on how long it'll take.

Also, what's up with those two desert tiles not being flood plains?

Attached Files:

2. 50_dollar_bag

50_dollar_bag Imitation Louis Vuitton

Regarding the desert tiles, i read somewhere that it's part of the start location algorithm where it includes and river to improve a capital location, not that Stalin's capital looks all that bad.

3. dl123654

dl123654 King

Save

Looks very ugly.

From what I've read the game now has a maximum number of flood plains in the game, therefore some unlucky deserts remain deserts, at least we can watermill them.
    EDIT:X-posted with 50, he could be right, I don't remember where I read mine.

Have fun Zargon.

Just kidding, heres my log.

Turn 1 (No Turn 0):
    Worker moves to marble

Turn 2:
    Masery done Bronze Working in 10
    Worker quaries marble

Turn 6:
    Reach size 3 and switch to settler due too long from now
    Stalin as already build a second city towards us

Turn 8:
    Quarry is done, moves to mine the pigs

Turn 11:
    We have Bronze Working, set it to Mythicism for potential Orcale
    Copper is found near my first choice city site

Turn 15:
    Mine finished move worker to cut forest on hill
    Settler almost done
    Spot barbarian warrior northwest of our warrior spotter

Notes:

Did I mention its very ugly:

Atleast we have copper close:

4. Zargon

Zargon Warlord

First, I'll say that mysticism was definitely a mistake. We needed the wheel to get copper as fast as possible after BW. I switched to the wheel on the inherited turn, 6 beakers away from completing mysticism.

Second, I'll say that turned out not to matter.

Third, I decided to settle one east of the copper. We needed copper in the first ring, having it in the second ring would delay getting it by some 20 turns.

Fourth, I chopped a second worker in preparation for building the road from both sides as the wheel completed to get the copper into the capital 2-3 turns faster to start pumping out axes.

Fifth, you will notice I'm speaking in past tense. More on that soon.

Here's the second city

And what's that next to St. Petersburg? Why, that's 4 barb archers. 4 barb archers I wouldn't notice until next turn, not that I think I would have acted differently if I had seen them here.

At this point I made a mistake by continuing the barracks in Utica, but that mistake, like the wheel, would mean nothing.

They proceeded to move next to Utica and glare menacingly. When they didn't attack, I breathed a sigh of relief. ha. ha. ha. They beelined the capital, and overtook the 2 warrior defenders I was able to build with the last archer.

Oh. Oh...... First turn set of my first SG I lose the capital. The shame.

If I'd built warriors instead of the worker, we would probably still be alive, but only slightly less screwed, because they would probably be pillaging all our nice things and preventing us from getting copper. Same end result, really.

So. Uh. New game? It would probably be possible to build an axe or two in Utica and retake the capital if somebody really wants to try, but then our window for axe rushing stalin will be long gong (St. Petersburg had 5 archers in it in the first SS), and we will be hopelessly boxed in with some really crappy territory.

edit: and how do you get the images inlined?

Attached Files:

5. 50_dollar_bag

:lol: don't I get any turns.

Zargon what I would have done is world buildered in a modern armor and wasted those archers but it's too late now, new game I guess.

6. MrFelony

MrFelony Prince

what an outcome :lol:. Sorry i didnt post a turnset. I posted it quickly in between things and didnt have a chance to get back to it due to class and just getting back from work now lol. that and all that basically happened was 1) researched agriculture, built settler, explore with warrior and killed a lion, farmed corn, moved settler, so not a whole lot heh. and 4 barb archers? i would have assumed that they would have just roamed around a lil more before actually attacking. usually they dont enter boarders within the first 30 turns i thought :confused: my guess is that there was the "barbarian uprising" random event.

7. MrFelony

MrFelony Prince

8. MrFelony

MrFelony Prince

okay so my internet is f-ing with me and wont let me edit my last post. 50_dollar, you get the honors of first since it didnt even get to you. right now settle in place, research BW, though check either along the coast or inland to see if there may be a better spot. Though, would we want to move to get another fish or clam in favor of the ivory in our bfc?

9. MrFelony

MrFelony Prince

I would still say settle in place if there is a fish or something along the coast because a move that direction would mean we would 1) lose the fresh water health bonus and 2) lose all those mystery tiles. i'm always a sucker for gambling on something better and 3) we'd also get to have that extra forest/hill for production/chopping

10. Zargon

Zargon Warlord

I'd say move the warrior NW, but more likely than not, settle in place. There would have to be something really good up there, though, like an extra fish + gold mine.

The ivory is a happiness resource, so I'd be reluctant to give it up.

It's a good capital, but I'm not sure the best way to start it after a work boat and BW. I'm leaning towards 2 work boats though, since the capital can expand while they build. I guess after that depends on whether we're boxed in again. At least we can't see snow, so that's a good sign.

11. MrFelony

MrFelony Prince

I think build would probably be best as

WB>WB>worker>Warrior>Chop Settler.

research

BW>Camping>roads

the reason why I'm thinking this is because if we get that ivory hooked up faster, we're going to be able to grow one more pop, and with the fish and clam alone, we're going to be able to reach max pop pretty fast. and we can also get agriculture and then cheap pottery and probably settle a 2nd city along the river on our NE boarder and start cottaging it. However, Sailing is a pretty good choice as well. we wont have to farm that corn for a while with a lighthouse and those 2 water resources. and with all these hills/forests, we have a great shot at the Great Lighthouse. I would probably place that in the build after the settler, or maybe 2 settlers and one worker (though this would leave us with very little forests but hey, we have 3 health resources in our BFC alone).

and because i forgot it
    1) MrFelony >next
    2) dl123654
    3) Zargon
    4) 50 dollar bag >> up

12. 50_dollar_bag

Played my turns.
    Sorry I didn't see your comments about build order.
    Settled in place.
    Started a WB using grass/forest/hill
    set research to BW.
    hut pops 40 gold
    Steal a hut from under Pacal's nose for 34 gold. he came from the NE.
    WB done hooks up clam, start warrior for a few turns until size 2 (should have started a WB in hindsight, was in a rush to play before work this morning)
    Pericles appears from the North.
    When we hit size 2 I started a worker.
    BW in choose Agriculture.

Spoiler :

No Copper in sight, and no 2nd city that immediately sticks out to me, possibly to the north is the best i can see.

For tech I suggest Hunting then AH.

Attached Files:

13. Zargon

Zargon Warlord

First, work the ivory rather than the corn, at least while the worker is building, ivory gives a commerce.

South and east can be good commerce land, but only after we get IW. I think north is our only decent bet for our 2nd city. The circled tile does look best. Cottage the 2 or 3 floodplains and we can get 3/0/3 tiles straight out of the gate.

14. MrFelony

MrFelony Prince

I think it would be best to settler to our east along the river and explore towards where pacal came from. I'm going to try and explore the jungle some more (it is tropical btw) I've found that sometimes it's better to go IW early on in case you find one of those great spots in the jungle with insane amounts of dyes/gems, but that's IF there is one of those sites that will pay for itself. I'm gonna pay in about an hour, hour and a half. i'll finish off agriculture if there isnt much left, but i'm probably going to switch to camping and chop a 2nd WB in the mean time. fish>corn (especially if it's lighthouse fish vs unirrigated corn). not sure if i'll finish agriculture before moving on to roads. depends on how big the capital is and whether or not we want the happinessfrom ivory asap.

15. 50_dollar_bag

Good point on working the ivory tile.
    I think we should stay away from putting cities too deep in the jungle just yet, if an AI decides to settle one of those dyes/bananas/gems/whatever cities let them develop it and pay maintenance and we'll capture it later. we may have to deal with ******** city placement though.

The corn is unirrigated, so will give 5 food, the fish 5 food 1 commerce. So maybe we should chop out a workboat when the worker is done?

Being Charismatic and having a happiness resource will give us a size 7 city (8 with monument) so we can either have a nice large city or have a bit of leeway with frequent whips.

My comments are probably too late anyway. :)

16. MrFelony

MrFelony Prince

nope, i just checked to see if anyone commented before playing ;). I always forget that monuments give :)'s for charismatic civs. kinda makes me want to chop the henge, but i probably wont lol.

17. Zargon

Zargon Warlord

Well, there's exactly trash production everywhere around the capital, so maybe stonehenge might not be such a bad idea. But no stone and late mysticism would make it a gamble. At least after we get IW, we can cottage the sugar plots for 3/0/3, same as floodplains, at least under calender. But until IW is in, it's all trash.

18. MrFelony

MrFelony Prince

Turn 1
    -Switch from Agriculture to Hunting.
    -warrior continues to explore, he needs to loop back to explore more around our capital.
    Turn 4
    -Finish worker and start a WB
    -Warrior gets into a fight with a lion, and then a jaguar
    Turn 5
    -Worker moves to chop a forest on a G-hill
    -finish hunting>the wheel
    -Warrior finds copper and goes to explore area after healing
    -Worker moves on to build a camp.
    -worker finishes camp, moves to another GL-Hill to chop it's forrest for a settelr
    -finished a warrior and set him off to go explore the deep jungle or possibly the northern area (which is where we should be exploring since that's where all of our 'enemies' have come from)
    -Finished the wheel>finish agriculture just because.
    -finish agricultuer>AH

I'm not really sure what we want to do here. I chose agriculture because it's relatively cheap, will reveal horses for better city location, and will allow us to access pigs when we settle there. but there are several viable tech paths.

we can start researching Sailing>masonry for a lighthouse>GLh. and then try to get to polytheism afterwards for the ToA. We have a lot of hills and forests so I think we can really get this done. However, we'd probably give up getting the Oracle and GW and a settler or two. Another benefit of Sailing is we wont have to build roads to our coastal cities.

2nd city locations. with sailing, we might want to settle down by the copper. however, I think we should go ahead and research IW and see if there is some close iron, this would also allow us the freedom to settle into the jungle.

note: i didnt hook up the ivory to our city because we wont need the happiness until we break out happiness cap and getting the rest of the resources/chopping things was more important imo.

right now it'll take us 15 turns to research IW, 15 to resaerch sailing and masonry, and then 15 to do myst>polytheism and 5 or 6 more for oracle. to get Saling>masonry>>>Priesthood it would probably take about 34 turns of research.

it takes 60:hammers: to build a light house and 200 for the GLh. it takes 150 :hammers: for the GW and the Oracle is also pretty cheap. I think we could probably get all of them with extensive chopping.we have a max production possibility at 18:hammers:/turn by working the 5 hills, 2 seafood resources, and the ivory, which will also give us 16 :commerce: whipping will probably also shave a few turns off of this. we could probably get the GW and Oracle out in 6-7 turns. however it'd probably be best to build a 2nd or 3rd settler.

ps: we shouldnt be in slavery right now. when switching civics, we should always try and minimized the number of times that we switch them. meaning, we don't adopt slavery until we either need it, or until there is another civic that we want to switch to. or if you do want to change to slavery, do it after the worker is made so he can get resources up asap ;). not a make or break move, it just slows development down.

19. MrFelony

MrFelony Prince

20. dl123654

dl123654 King