End of the Year Contest: 2016

Balthasar

Wise Man

Well gang, it's that time of year again. Just when you thought that we had the past year packed away with a stake through its heart, there's this one little bit of unfinished business of celebrating all the work we did last year in our little corner of the internet. Then we'll let 2016 rest in peace, we promise.

The biggest event of the past year was when we all packed up and moved into these new digs. The new site has felt at times like terra incognito, especially in the first few days, but now we're settling in, getting our favorite pics put back up on the walls, and putting the first scuff marks on the floorboards. Honey, we're home! I can even, like, find things, sorta, now.

Here in contest land, we finally got the Monthly Competition Submissions Thread stickied in the main forum, which we hope will help creators find us more easily, and added a new rule that would allow creators to have their work automatically entered into the contests, although no one has signed up for it, and they haven't even seen my taste in sweaters yet. Oh well, the point is, we're still here, we're still trying, and that's gotta count for sumptin'.

Now, when I say, 'we', which you might have noticed I've been doing so far (and I'm sure you were thinking: huh?), I mean myself and the moderators (Rob and Plotinus), but also a few members who have given advice and helped out behind the scenes this year, but especially all of those who entered the contests this year, who made the effort to contribute in this little way to our community. I thank you all.

So, on to the contests. Like we did last year, this thread will be your home base. Like last year, we have five categories to vote for. Each nominee in the PCX and Unit categories were either monthly contest winners or were the sole entry in that category in a given month. The nominees in the Leaderhead, Map, and Mod/Scenario of the Year categories are culled from those that were posted in the Database and Forums during the year.

Click on a Category below to see who has won this year's contests. Links to the threads or download pages of every nominee can be found in the descriptions on each contest page.

And the Winners are:

Mod/Scenario of the Year: Bronze & Iron by register​

Unit of the Year: Patriot Missile by AnthonyBoscia and Laurana Kanan​

Map of the Year: Chris Wayan's Pegasia by Midnight-Blue766

PCX of the Year: TIE: Balthasar - Art Nouveau Interface and
Ogedei_the_Mad - "Baraka" Arab and Turkish Buildings Pack

Leaderhead of the Year: ShiroKobbure - King Jinheung of Silla (S. Korea)

Congrats to the winners!
You will be immortalized forever (probably)
in our
Civ Fanatics Civilization III Creation & Customization Forum
MONTHLY COMPETITION HALL OF FAME!

- Balthasar

Visit the Competitions Hall of Fame to find links to contests, units and pcx's from the C&C forum's last 11 years!

Last edited:
The Map of the Year contest has been posted, delayed by family duties. Thank you for your patience. All EoY contests will run 14 days as usual. By coincidence, the End of the Year contests this year and last year both began on the day of the announcement of the Academy Awards nominees. Good Omen?

Last edited:
Just a reminder: Categories are closing fast in the End of the Year contests*, so be sure to vote so that you don't regret it later! Believe me, I know. heh.

Congratulations to Midnight-Blue766 and Ogedei_the_Mad for wins in the Map and PCX categories! The Competitions Hall of Fame welcomes you!

Something I noticed while posting this: this is Ogedei's third PCX of the Year win in a row, and the first time that the PCX of the Year contest has tied in a decade. Good Job!

*See this thread's first post if that makes you go, 'huh?'

Last edited:
Congrats to AnthonyBoscia and Laurana Kanan for winning the Unit of the Year Contest; my Thanks to Shirokobbure for helping me put together a great Leaderhead contest, and, please, a round of applause to register for winning Mod of the Year!

Please let all of our winners know (below?) how much you appreciate their (& others') contributions to the health, vitality, and beauty of our teen-aged modding forum! Best in the World, dudes, really. Great work!

2017's first Unit of the Month contest (for January) begins tomorrow!

Indeed, it's awesome to see the consistently high quality on almost everything posted these days!
It sure makes voting a very challenging choice!

Top Bottom