Essential mods

topresch

Warlord
Hi

I'm sorry if there already is a thread concerning this topic, but I couldn't seem to find one. Not being a modder myself (although loving those who are and have done for years in Civ 5), I believe I have understood it correctly that there is as of yet no available mod tool for you guys, making modding more complicated?

Anyway, I was wondering which mods are currently available for the base game (i.e. not scenarios, new civs etc) for its betterment, such as improved AI, UI, altering the annoying visuals for messages (the centre one down the middle of the screen), improved sea tiles, balancing mods, restart button etc.

All suggestions, advice and links are appreciated!

PS: Moderators, please move or integrate this post/thread if it is superfluous.

Edit PPS: Oh and by the way, happy new year to you all!

Have you checked out the downloads section of civ fanatics? Just sort by most downloaded and you'll find some popular quality of life mods.

Ai+
Smoother difficulty
Improved water yields (ai will benefit from this as well)

everything else is sort of.. Optional imo.

For improved AI:
  1. AI+
  2. Smoother Difficulty

For improved UI:
  1. NQ UI mod, which combines a number of useful mods (Production Queue, Unit Screen, Improved Trade Screen) with some unique additions such as a notification log for gossip and notifications, an improved great people screen and more.
For improved balance and game play tweaks:

1. NQ Balance mod, which works for SP as well as MP.
Link to NQ Modpack.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SSTwo-Fp9I60xAeA9yYrEKImi_RCMCRZccaO6ysxpEo/edit

Last edited:
Naturally I'm gonna list my own mod (Quo's Combined Tweaks), because I coded what was essential to me personally and put it online for other people to use if they want. :) Whether it's an essential mod for other people I kind of doubt, but needless to say its how I play the game. I basically play until I run into something that seriously annoys me (weak civ abilities for example) and then find ways to tweak it. The nature of Civ 6's very organized database lends itself well to this.

Within that, the main part of the mod I would still call essential (for me) is the Rocketboots feature, which gives every unit +1 movement. IMO that fixes a lot of issues and is how the game should have been designed from the outset. Others might disagree. Rocketboots is available as a standalone mod part if you don't want the whole "combined tweaks" package.

In terms of excellent mods that do similar things to mine, Crazyscotsman's Omnibus mod does many similar balancing edits, and is IMO more sophisticated in a lot of ways. I play my own mod mainly because its so tailored to me specifically, but there is lots of good stuff out there from other people.

I personally always play with CQUI and AI+ turned on. Neither conflicts with the Combined Tweaks mod. I don't know whether other balance mods do or don't. When I wrote "Combined Tweaks" though I specifically dodged conflicts with those two mods, and tested with both of them turned on.

I'll add a couple more:

Fewer AI Tantrums is compatible with AI+ and it makes the AIs behave more sensibly

AI Siege Help allows siege units to fire after moving, which coupled with AI+ and Rocket Boots makes them actually capable of taking cities :eek:

I'd also recommend Detailed Worlds and Larger Worlds for better maps with more reasonable starting distance between civs

better trade screen
more lenses
production queue
unit report screen
AI+
divine uris city panel

i don't trust CQUI it's crashed and froze on me too many times in the past.

i don't trust CQUI it's crashed and froze on me too many times in the past.
Crashes for me also. I like the mod, but the crashes are too much, even when it's the only mod I have turned on.

Crashes for me also. I like the mod, but the crashes are too much, even when it's the only mod I have turned on.

Either you are using an old version or something is wrong with your game install or your pc.

I'm at over 200 hours of cqui with zero crashes.

Either you are using an old version or something is wrong with your game install or your pc.

I'm at over 200 hours of cqui with zero crashes.

Absolutely agree. CQUI 100% works with no issues as long as you keep it up to date and your game and system are properly maintained.

It's the best option out there, and it is unfortunate when people blame others for their own problems or shortcomings.

it is unfortunate when people blame others for their own problems or shortcomings.
I didn't blame anyone. I may have many shortcomings, but knowledge of PC gaming is not among them. I have been building computers and playing games since the mid 90's.

I didn't blame anyone. I may have many shortcomings, but knowledge of PC gaming is not among them. I have been building computers and playing games since the mid 90's.
And yet you claim cqui crashes too much.

It doesn't.

Which brings us back to what I said previously.

I like the mod and wish it worked for me, and some others. Since you are the expert, tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit all updates installed.
I3 4170 3.70 Ghz not over clocked.
RX 470 with latest driver.
Realtek HD Audio latest driver.
Kaspersky Internet Security Suite.
Civ 6 with Aztec and Poland DLC I have uninstalled and re-installed and verified the integrity of cache . No other mods or DLC. Running DX 12 version.
CQUI latest nightly version installed in the DLC folder.
No other programs running, game launched from Steam.

It randomly crashes, and always crashes when I enable popups for the culture and tech advances. If you want more info I will gladly provide it.

Mods I always play with for Civ 6:
  • Current Time Of Day
  • Production Queue (only started using it in the last week or so, but it's a great mod and I now wonder why I played the game without it)
  • Tomatekhs Historical Religions
  • Unit Report Screen
Other great mods include:
  • R.E.D. Modpack
  • YNAMP

It randomly crashes, and always crashes when I enable popups for the culture and tech advances. If you want more info I will gladly provide it.
I'd like to suggest, that you can look in the CQUI - A QUI Spinoff! (v0.6 OUT!) thread for similar problems. Also you may be able to provide a save game with a reproducable crash and report it there?

Top Bottom