[NFP] Ethiopia First Look

I think people underestimate the sacrifice of forgoing mines on most of your hills. Using the rough-hewn church will basically cut your production in half across your empire, and if you don't save forests/rainforests until you can make lumber mills on them - which really happens too late to suffice, and you'd have to forgo chops - production might be so low that your cities aren't really functional at all. You really need a certain benchmark of production in order to play the game.

What few mines you might get from the church's adjacency restriction will not be enough. Keep in mind that you also pretty much have to settle on a hill, so that's another mine gone already. This will cripple nearly any city barring those with wildly improbable terrain, like 15 hills or a natural wonder that improves production surrounded by woods. Your typical city will have, what, maybe four hills? If you give up three of those for churches, that city will be stuck at like 12 production forever.
First, Ethiopia is almost certainly going to have a hill bias, so their maps will look similar to Greece's. 6-10 hills is more typical with Greece, at least for your core cities.

Second, who needs that much production for a culture victory? Each city only really needs to build a theater square. Everything after that is either supplementary or can be bought with faith and/or gold. 12 production per turn is fine for most cities, after a couple Magnus chops to get the theater square. Not saying that production is useless, but 1 production is worth about 2 faith, and I expect to build the rock hewn churches accordingly.

Finally, I think Ethiopia will have great synergy with earth goddess and work ethic. Earth goddess will further incentivize you to not build mines and work ethic offsets some of the loss of production.

Is this a reference to they are the two playable ones in the tutorial?

Any way I find Trajan to be the basic introductory Civ. You really don't have to worry about much ability wise because you'll get a free monument and free roads when you found another city.

As for Cleopatra her agenda is obviously historical. She is looking for you to be her next Julius Caesar or Marc Antony. If you don't have a big army like they did, she won't be interested in you at all.
Always considered Cleo, Trajan, and Qin to be "baby's first Civ VI leaders".

Always considered Cleo, Trajan, and Qin to be "baby's first Civ VI leaders".
The next game then you wonder where are my free monuments and roads, extra builder charges and faster wonders? Then you remember... :mischief:

The next game then you wonder where are my free monuments and roads, extra builder charges and faster wonders? Then you remember... :mischief:
Yeah, that's why I don't consider Gilgamesh to be in that same group. They're mechanically easy, but they require a player who knows how aggressively push their timings (which for Sumeria is *checks notes* the very start of the game). Newbie players don't know how to do that, they generally turtle.

Not saying they're hard or anything because they're not, but they're not who I'd recommend for a first playthrough. Maybe a second or third.

Yeah, that's why I don't consider Gilgamesh to be in that same group. They're mechanically easy, but they require a player who knows how aggressively push their timings (which for Sumeria is *checks notes* the very start of the game). Newbie players don't know how to do that, they generally turtle.

A war cart rush is pretty darn easy on prince difficulty though. Sumeria suits the newbie who wants to just build military instantly and fight. And the ziggurats help them catch up on science without needing to learn about district adjacency and scaling costs too.

A war cart rush is pretty darn easy on prince difficulty though. Sumeria suits the newbie who wants to just build military instantly and fight. And the ziggurats help them catch up on science without needing to learn about district adjacency and scaling costs too.
Oh yes, they're very, very easy. I'm just saying the person who's playing their first ever game of Civ tends to play not as aggressively, since they're feeling out the systems. As such, I generally recommend Civs that can be aggressive early, without necessarily being all-in on it either. Rome and Egypt, particularly Rome, fit that bill pretty well, whereas China is more for the player that just wants to turtle.

War Cart Rush is often recommended when playing the tutorial (which has the choice of Sumeria or Egypt).

War Cart Rush is often recommended when playing the tutorial (which has the choice of Sumeria or Egypt).

Yeah I generally envision there is at least some subsection of new players who just want to conquer and raze cities, and Gilgamesh gets that going pretty quickly without the need for much infrastructure.

Also, bear in mind that baby's first civs aren't necessarily designed to win the game for newbies...they just allow them to indulge in a bit of fun before they inevitably realize you can't win the game just by building wonders, or conquering cities, or turtling behind a wall. They let the newbies survive long enough to have fun in the first place, instead of driving them away with too steep of a learning curve.

Oromo returned from Civ4. This time as Courser replacements rather than a class of Musketeer?
Who are Oromoes anyway? what are more correct UUs? Oromo musketeer or Oromo cavalry?

Also did Christianizations one of many conditions of some countries not to be colonized? Melenik II did contribute his war effort to aid British to suppress Islamic Mahdists in Sudan. is his contributions granted favors to the Industrialized powers of the time so some decades later Ethiopia did successfully prevented Italian Conquest.

Did Islam illegal in Ethiopia and to when did this religion remains illegal? if they don't ban Islan they couldn't keep their very distinct Christian church because their neighbours had long since been islamized several centuries ago.

Oromo returned from Civ4. This time as Courser replacements rather than a class of Musketeer?
Who are Oromoes anyway? what are more correct UUs? Oromo musketeer or Oromo cavalry?
I wouldn't necessarily say Civ 4 had the best record when it came to picking historical accurate unique units all the time. That being said they were an ethnic group that fought using different strategies. A cavalry of Oromo was at least used in certain battles of the Italo-Ethiopian war which is probably why they chose to represent them that way in this game. Upon further looking into it the adoption of the horses did increase their fighting power so I would say this is a more accurate representation that the Civ 4 unit. Of course there were also members of the Mehal Sefari, the UU in Civ 5, who were of the Oromo ethnicity.

Are they also pastoral nomadic people or agrarian ones? in upcoming game their UU is a type of lancer.
They were pastoral apparently at first but eventually became more settled.

Hi everyone, anyone know what time today we will get the update? Thanks!

oh I just saw somewhere someone post: July 23, 0900 PST

Top Bottom