Ethnically Diverse Units (4/16/06)

R

Rabbit, White

Ethnically Diverse Units v2.8 - Download v2.6 > Download v2.8
Compatible with Civilization IV 1.61 and Warlords 2.08

Description

Ethnically Diverse Units (EDU) MOD is an attempt to introduce some ethnic diversity to Civilization IV. I find it odd that the Mali for instance have only one unit that appears to be of African descent - Skirmisher, and this is of course just one example of many.
The implementation of the unique looking units is similar to the regular Unique Units in Civ4, however unlike UU's these units differ only in look and otherwise have exactly the same stats.
For a complete list of currently available units please refer to version history at the bottom of this post.

Finally, I welcome any contributions to this project - ideas, suggestions, models, items and especially skins and buttons.

Overview of Version 2.8

v2.8 is actually a patch (i.e. you still need to download version 2.6), but it adds 5 new ancient units (screenshot below) and 12 modern units from snafusmith's excellent Modern Warfare mod. It also fixes couple of missing structures from previous version.

Please note that barring fixes and patches this is the last version of EDU that supports Civ4 1.61 (i.e vanilla). From the next version and up EDU will be only Warlords compatible.

Screenshot of the new units

Spoiler Old Screenshots :

Direct Download (v2.6) > Download v2.8

Installation Instructions (also available in the readme file)
Spoiler :

Do not under any circumstances copy anything into the game's main Assets folder, the one found in the civ4 installation folder, i.e. C:\Program Files\Civilization 4\Assets. The C:\Program Files\ part is just an example, it could be different for you.

Installation instructions for the Patch
Make sure you have EDU 2.6 installed, the zip contains two folders
- Vanilla and Warlords. Depending on the version of the game you're playing
copy the Assets folder from one of these folders into the mod's directory,
and let it overwrite everything.

This patch includes the fixes in 2.62.

The ZIP file contains three folders - Ethnically Diverse Units, Assets_Warlords and Assets_Vanilla

1) Unzip the Ethnically Diverse Units folder into your mods directory (the "civ4_install_folder\Mods\" or "civ4warlords_install_folder\Mods\" folder).
2) Then, depending on whether you're playing the exapnsion or not, unzip the contents of the appropriate Assets_... folder into the EDU's Assets folder.
3) Open the CivilizationIV.ini configuration file and change the "Mod" line to read: Mod = Mods\Ethnically Diverse Units
4) Load the game and play as normal.

Known Issues

No major issues AFAIK

Future Plans
- I'm gonna keep working on formations
- As always more units :)

Version History
Spoiler :

Patch 2.8 (1/29/07)
- Fixed the missing modern harbor and cathon in the Warlords version
- Added 5 new units
* Ship-of-the-Line as a Frigate for English, French, Spanish and German
* Spanish/Carthagian Swordsmen and Spearman
* African and Asian Archers
- Added 12 modern units from the Modern Warfare mod by snafusmith
* Churchill and Centurion as Tank and Modern Armor for English
* T-34 and T-84 as Tank and Armor for Russians
* M3A1 and M60 as same for Americans
* R25 as Tank for French
* 2A5 as Armor for German
* A6M as Fighter for Japanese
* Mig-3 and Mig-25 as Fighter and Jet Fighter for Russians
* Yamato as Japanese Battleship

Patch 2.62 (12/17/06)
- African Infantry is now correctly assigned to the Mali in the warlords
version of the mod.
- For both versions the two new Caravels are correctly assigned to their
civilizations.

Version 2.6 (12/16/06)
- Replaced the axe of the Celtic Warrior with a club. Now he doesn't look exactly like the Gallic Warrior
- Added 15 new units
* Two new Caravels
* Mongolian Scout and Archers
* Indian Archer
* Native, Egyptian and African Spearman
* Native Horseman
* Caucasian Axeman and Swordsman
* African Axeman, Swordsman and Infanry
* Arabian Chariot
- Removed horse from Native Settler
- Partially implemented formations a la seZereth's formations mod

Version 2.35 (08/18/06)
- New African Horseman that looks different from Numidian Cavalry
- 5 new castles to better match the various era, taken from ganart's excellent Extended Mod.
- New textures for city's buildings, taken from ganart's mod
- Three new units: Arabian and Indian Swordsmen, and Caucasian War Elephant
- Integrates the small fix that was issued for the previous version

Version 2.2 (08/06/06)
- Added support for the Warlords expansion
- Added modified Dawn of Man screen that better displays the increased number of unique units.
- Redid some of the Scouts
- Horseman's unique stats were removed, instead the Horse Archer is now called Horseman, and all Horsemen have the exact same stats
- Added African Horseman, and War Elephant
- Added Greek Swordsman (Hypaspist)
- Fixed a bug with Celtic Spearman's shield
- Added many buttons for the units
- Added Native Archer (which was left out from previous two versions)
- Caucasian Horseman is now the default Horseman for all civs (formally Horse Archer). So when you see Mali using Caucasian Horseman, that's not because I assigned him as the unique unit for Mali. :)
- The vanilla Horse Archer is now unique to Arabia and Persia.
- German translation added for Horseman's Pedia and Strategy text

Version 2.0a (07/31/06)
- Fixed an XML bug related to the Horseman

Version 2.0 (07/30/06)
- Changed most of the Warriors from previous version
- Changed some of the buttons
- Added many units:
- Mongolian settler
- Celtic Archer
- Persian Archer
- Celtic Spearman
- Arabian Spearman
- Asian Spearman
- Caucasian Spearman
- Mongolian Spearman
- Chinese Chariot
- Celtic Chariot
- Caucasian Horsearcher (Horseman)
- Egyptian Horsearcher
- Roman Horsearcher
- Greek Horsearcher (Companion Cavalry)
- Egyptian Axeman
- Chinese Swordsman
- Asian Longbowman
- Mongolian Longbowman
- American, British, German, Ottoman, Italian and Russian Infantry

Version 1.47 (04/25/06)
- Added Indian Settler, Scout and Warrior
- Added Egyptian Settler, Scout, Warrior and Archer
- Added Native Archer

Version 1.25 (04/06/06)
- Changed Arabian Warrior
- Fixed formations for Arabian and Asian Scouts

Version 1.2 (05/13/06)
- Added Arabian Settler, Scout and Warrior
- Added Asian Settler, Scout and Warrior

Version 1.0 (04/16/06)
- Initial release
- Modified default Settler to have a bigger "family" and a wagon, which was inspired by heroes182's Gipsy Wagon
- Vanilla Scout is now the Native Scout used by Aztec and Inca
- Added Caucasian Scout
- Added African Settler, Scout and Warrior
- Added Native Settler and Warrior

Cheers :thumbsup:

It wasn't only you that that bugged Rabbit. Nice job and I love the gypsy wagon addition.

Oooooh... Shiny! :goodjob:

Do you think an asian setup for this is possible? For instance that unit with the asian hat comes to mind as settler.

I love you. I needed this for Age of Civilizations. Thank you.

Adding on to GeoModders suggestion, could we add Arabian to Asian as some ethnicities.

Thanks guys.

AlCosta15 said:
I love you. I needed this for Age of Civilizations. Thank you.

Adding on to GeoModders suggestion, could we add Arabian to Asian as some ethnicities.
Oh definitely, right now I'm planning at least chinese/japanese, mongolian, hindu and arabian.

That is great!!! :goodjob: Please continue your project and expand it! I really waited for something like this. Thanks a lot!!

CellKu

But what if the Caucasians (or "Caucasian style" nations) are born somewhere near the equator and the Mali up north? ;)

No, I'm just kidding, great job really, White Rabbit!

Porges said:
Very nice :goodjob: Do you have an ETA for the others? :)
Probably not till next weekend, maybe later, I still don't have a clear idea about how the other variations should look, plus got couple of other things with higher priority. However, if anyone has any ideas, resources or what have you that might be useful I'd appreciate the input.

Here's what I have so far for the four variations I mentioned:

For Chinese/Japanese I'm thinking I'll add another kid, give the adults those cone-shaped hats, and plus a cow and a donkey.

For Mongolian I was thinking of adding just animals - horse, bull and dog. I'm not sure how I'll make the settlers themselves look Mongolian.

For Hindu I was thinking of using the Hindu Missionary as part of the group (maybe replace the male settler maybe add as an extra), plus one or two kids and a dog.

Finally for Arabian settler I was thinking I might actually use Persian Immortal as part of the group, also I think the Islamic Missionary would probably fit in there (as like the elder or something), and another woman and a horse.

Sounds good. I've integrated this with the regiments mod and it looks great. The XML was a bit tricky however :)

It always bothered me as well.

However I don't know how to skin, my apologies.

Good work! :thumbsup:

Come to think of it, I'm a little surprised Firaxis didn't do this for the vanilla game. Maybe not a skin for every civ, but for every cultural group like they did for the buildings.

Dual said:
Come to think of it, I'm a little surprised Firaxis didn't do this for the vanilla game. Maybe not a skin for every civ, but for every cultural group like they did for the buildings.

...except of course they didn't do it for the buildings either :)

This is good stuff. I'll be looking out for the rest of it!

This is a near necessary project Rabbit and its a good thing you've taken it up. Looking forward to your next skins. Great job.

Good to see there's a demand for this :)

and yeah I don't think there are different styles for buildings either, even though the XMLs are "ready" for it, since they have tags for Asian and European and other styles. It's a shame but maybe they'll add that in the expansion pack.

Speaking of which, if anyone wants to model and texture the different architecture styles I can put them in game, I think I mostly figured out the files responsible for that. I'd do it myself but first the Earth will need to slow down its rotation because 24 hours just ain't enough. :D

Rabbit said:
and yeah I don't think there are different styles for buildings either, even though the XMLs are "ready" for it, since they have tags for Asian and European and other styles. It's a shame but maybe they'll add that in the expansion pack.

Speaking of which, if anyone wants to model and texture the different architecture styles I can put them in game, I think I mostly figured out the files responsible for that. I'd do it myself but first the Earth will need to slow down its rotation because 24 hours just ain't enough.

You two are right, I've seen it so much in my XML work that I thought the XML tags for the cultural tags did something. Can you tell how much time I've actually spent playing the game I've been modding. :lol:

We do need longer days, so I can mod and play. :D

Top Bottom