EU2 AAR: Granada

Till

Adventurer
Difficulty: Very Hard
Aggression: Normal
Mod: AGCEEP

Some of you might recall my last grasp for glory with Granada. I managed to conquer much of Iberia, but had to take many loans and went bankrupt a number of times. In the end, i gave up, as i couldn't compete with an inflation of 50% and more.
This is the tale of my second attempt. It started many moons ago and only my trusted vizier Olav was informed of its progress. As such, the documentation of Granada's early years under Sultan Tillothy's rule are sketchy and rely mainly on the few letters between Olav and Tillothy, which survived the ages unharmed.

Granada

Our proud capital.

Unlike in the regular game, Granada starts as vassal of Castille in AGCEEP. Even more importantly, relations with both Castille and Aragon are good. Still, religious differences remain and what self-respecting ruler would suffer to be a vassal of a heathen?
Not Tillothy, that's for certain!
A messenger is send to Toledo, advising the king that the Emir of Granada bows to no one! A second messenger is ordered to humbly ask the King of Aragon to accept Granada into his alliance. He accepts, thanks to the good relations build up by the foolish Muhammed VIII prior 1419.

The War for Independence
Or rather: War for More Provinces, but that applies to most wars in Granada's history

The third party in Aragon's alliance are the Papal States, a fact that causes much objection among Granada's righteous. But not for long, because as soon as the alliance had been formed, Sultan Tillothy declared war on his former master Castille, forcing Aragon and the Pope to fight on his side!
Castille brought Portugal into the war on her side and soon Christian was fighting Christian. The Sutlan wisely held his troops back, waiting for Castille to expose regions of defenders. Soon it was forced to do so, in order to be able to match Aragon's armies.

Granadians engaged in a fierce battle with the infidels

Toledo and Estremadura were occupied. Their mountains made it easy to thwart any attempt of Castille to take them back. Murcia was taken, also. The Sultan was in a hurry to get Castille to surrender regions, as it was within Aragon's power as alliance leader to end the war on their terms.
Castille did agree to a seperate peace, surrendering a few provinces in the process. Historians have not yet reached an agreement on which provinces changed hands.

The Ahead of Schedule War
Time moves fast in Granada, when it comes to 5 year peace treaties

They do agree, however, that Tillothy did not honour the peace agreement and redeclared war almost immediately!
While Castille was spend, Portugal still had most of her armies and the Sultan took care not to engage them with his puny force. Instead, Castillian provinces were once more put under siege. The Castillian king proved stubborn, however, and wouldn't yield any province. Maybe he knew that Tillothy had nothing to match the 50,000 Portuguese soldiers ravaging newly conquered Andalusia.
Eventually, a peace for cash deal was settled. And this time, Granada kept it. For as long as it took to retrain the army, that is! The money was spend on a cavalry army meant to wreck havoc on the Portuguese plains and an infantry army for the hills of Castille.

Götterdämmerung for Castille
Or: The end of an unlikely alliance

War was declared, but this time Aragon and the Papal States bailed out, breaking the alliance with Granada. They had been useful tools, but the Sultan considered Aragon part of Granada's territory, anyway. Tlemec and Morocco were gained as new allies.

The cavalry army swept the floor with the mixed Portuguese troops, especially because they attacked across a river. Portugal was eager for peace and the Sultan accepted. Now he could focus entirely upon Castille!

The war lasted until around 1428 and ended with Castille making major concessions. All the while, Portugal and Aragon were fighting with another. Indeed, they even asked (and received) military access through Granada!

Grim tidings for Castille: Their army has been vanquished!

What followed was a period of stabilization. While Granada was loan free, every dinar had went into the military thus far. Not a single bailiff had been promoted. Once the stability had reached an acceptable level again, once more war was declared on Castille. For the first time thus far, Granada was able to field the larger army. It didn't take long to pry all but the capital province Toledo from Castille. Along with the provinces came a good chunk of money, which was spend on bailiffs.

Five Against Granada
A defensive war, at last!

Things went quiet for a while, until Granada's bad reputation caught up with her in 1437. Portugal, Aragon, Castille, Foix and Britaine declared war! Needless to say, Granada was badly outmatched. The western front was all but exposed and Portugal roamed freely there. In the east, a hardy garrison held out against attacks from Aragon and Foix, using the forest of Cantabria as cover. There were some good news too, however. A rebel uprising in Toledo defeated the Castillian army, putting Castille's single province under rebel control.

The fortress of Catabria is under constant attack.

In an attempt to force Portugal out of the war, Tillothy ordered for Algarve to be laid under siege. Portugal answered by amassing her troops in Estramdura, which already was part of Greater Granada. Lady Luck was with the Granadians, however, and Algarve fell before Estramadura. Portugal and her ally Castille bailed out of the war, leaving Algarve to Granada!

Portugal retreats, having accomplished nothing.

Foix was overpowered and annexed by Tlemenc. This left Aragon as the last major enemy to best. All forces were utilized for that purpose. It proved to be of tremendous advantage that Granada enjoyed a superior cavalry, which chased Aragons infantry heavy armier through their own homeland, routing them again and again!

After a long series of battles, Aragon was exhausted and had to watch how province after province fell to sieges. Even though the Aragonese king proved stubborn, he found himself forced to make a peace offer, in the end:

A just compensation for the uncalled for aggression against Granada!

Undisputed hegemony
Through Machiavellian means!

Just as the war with the last of the 5 ended, the peace treaty with the first two, Protugal and Castille, expired. It was time to settle the score once for all! Neither Castille nor Portugal could offer much resistance, having been reduced to just one province each. Both were invaded, besieged, conquered and annexed!
This send Granada's reputation into new depths, but it was surely worth it!

The Surrender of Castille and Portugal.

Living on the edge!

Thus ended the first phase of expansion. Granada was too close to the limit to dare further wars. Already many wimpy Muslim nations were turning away instead of congratulating the Sultan to his successes! Instead, Granada would concentrate on her economy and research for a while, always wary for acts of aggressions from Aragon and France.
Aragon still had some holdings in southern Italy and was allied with many of the myriad of nations there. France had no powerful ally, but needed none! Her armies left the Sultan in awe. A confrontation would be inevitable, as France had claims on two of Granada's provinces. Granada was not looking forward to it...

The current situation. Bearn belongs to an ally

Feedback and suggestions are welcome. I would be especially interested if friendly relations with a nation of different faith are possible. Some sort of cooperation with England against France would make the future a look a lot less threatening!

:goodjob: Great start Till.

I'm no real expert on EU2 compared to some other members here, but I shall be looking forward to reading what the future holds for Granada :)

That's an absolutely amazing start. Granada is a hard nation to play, you need to kill your liege to conquer Iberia. Well, your BB is also huge. I can't imagine what America will look like. No Spaniards in America. No Portuguese in Brazil.

Wow.

Suggestion: Send gifts to Burgundy! It's strong, and maybe Austria won't gain it's lands, as normally Spain should get Burgundian lands.

Great to see the AAR for this game, Till! Nice choice of pics, by the way!

Be careful not to step over the BB-threshold! Nasty things could happen if you do.

What is your land forces support limit? You could build a massive army with those rich provinces. Though I think you don't have any grain.

Thanks guys! :D
My support limit is around 75,000. More than i ever needed, even though that might change with France having a permanent casus belli. I don't really have any money to spare, and i am not sure if Burgundy would appreciate it, anyway. Do you think they could be lured into fighting France somehow?

Are you still in an alliance with Tlemencen and Morocco? If so, are they valuable alliance members? If they gave you much help in the wars in Iberia, I suggest you keep good relations with them as long as possible. Hitti-Litti: As for Burgundy, won't they be inherited by either Austria or France?

What are your future plans for Granada now, Till?

Are you still in an alliance with Tlemencen and Morocco? If so, are they valuable alliance members? If they gave you much help in the wars in Iberia, I suggest you keep good relations with them as long as possible. Hitti-Litti: As for Burgundy, won't they be inherited by either Austria or France?

What are your future plans for Granada now, Till?

The alliance consists of Tlemencen, Morocco and Tunesia (and Granada). Tlemencen being the leader. Then it gets rather complicated. I think Tlemencen is a vassal of Tunesia, and Tunesia is a vassal of Morocco. Previously, i was under the impression that such a hierarchy was impossible, so maybe i am misremembering.
They have been useful in a blind chicken sort of way. Nine times of ten they just wandered around aimlessly, but every once in a while they actually enter a battle. Their land also provide additional targets for my enemies, which is always a plus. The relations are not too good, however. Barely positive. Not sure why, maybe the Bad Boy Rating.
I'd love to keep waging war and try to cripple France so much that she'll no longer be a threat, but i reckon that's impossible with my current Bad Boy Rating. The next years will likely be spend on promoting bailiffs and, if there is money to spare, improving relations with my North African allies.

Till said:
I think Tlemencen is a vassal of Tunesia, and Tunesia is a vassal of Morocco. Previously, i was under the impression that such a hierarchy was impossible, so maybe i am misremembering.

That is possible, and in some games it happens. Once I saw Wallachia being vassal of Hungary and Hungary being vassal of Otto.

Then it gets weird when events make Bohemia a vassal of Austria, when some time ago rich Bohemia had vassalized Austria. Then they're both each others lieges!

It certainly is possible, just AI vassalizations conflicting with event-driven ones.

Since Gascogne is not same-culture/religion, try releasing it to shed some BB. Rinse and repeat with Bearn (it has basque, right?). AFAIK, these vassals should be muslim, so you can feed them cash to see if they will convert the provs for you (though I wouldn't count on it.)

Also, if allying with a christian country is your goal, be prepared to spend lots of cash keeping relations high. For this, I would suggest Austria or England (whichever is stronger). Also try to get the OE in your camp, since they are the only other muslim power worth noting.

An excellent idea is to expand southwards through DAing the north african nations (Morocco, Al Djazair, etc., etc.). Once you are into west africa, it is all muslims/pagans, which you can then conquer, and you also get the MP through the land connection at tangiers. Try to conquer the entire african continent!

Thanks for the input! Gascogne shall indeed become Granada's first vassal. Bearn belongs to Tlemencen and is thus outside my influence. This leaves only one province, Roussilion, which i need to defend against France!
The next years will likely consist of a cooling-off period in order to get some BadBoy leeway again. Then there will be time for another land grab...
All in the next update! :D

Suscription post .... good job Till !

at first I tought that was a Canada AAR :lol:

That would be cool. You can play as Canada in Victoria so it's possible. And even more tempting for Raisin Bran, you can give independence to Quebec in EU2!

That would be cool. You can play as Canada in Victoria so it's possible. And even more tempting for Raisin Bran, you can give independence to Quebec in EU2!

Nice Idea ..... I dont own EU2. Ill go look for a mode for HoI2 that would have Quebec as independant.

Peh, bloody Frenchies and their independence.

:D

Bringing dissonance into the Concert of Powers

Granada's rise to power had greatly upset the Christian realm. France wasn't at all comfortable with such a military success and powerful neighbour. Given that they had legitimate claims to both Gascogne and Roussillion, it was only a matter of time before King Charles VII would try what Castille and Portugal had failed to achieve:

Reconquista!

Charles VII, called: The Victorious.
Would he, after freeing much of France from the English,
also manage to win back Iberia for Christianity?

His mother in law, Yolande of Aragon, never tired to remind him and king Alfonso V of Aragon that "Granada delenda est". Alfonso and Charles didn't trust one another, however, and plotted their moves without coordination.
Meanwhile in Granada...

Sultan Tillothy was aggrieved by spy reports about his Muslim allies. His informers advised that he was looked upon with a mixture of suspicion and envy in almost every court from Africa's Atlantic coast to the kindoms surrounding the Persian Gulf.
There was even talk about attacking Granada before it could lay her hands on North Africa! Clearly, the next years would have to be used to lull these nations into a feeling of safety again.

Sultan Tillothy, pondering on Granada's future.

It was decided to maintain forces on a wartime level, but restrain from undertaking any acts of aggression, save for purely defensive purposes.
Part of Granada's treasury was classified as reserve, in case war breaks out, the rest was used to promote bailiffs.
Tillothy was convinced that it was impossible to hold both, Gascogne and Roussillion, in the event of a war with France. Fortunately for him, it was possible to release Gascogne into vassalage. He did so under the condition that Granada would receive her share of the new realm's income.
Due to conflicting cultures and religion, the income used to be a pittance. After the new realm had been created, Gascogne's income almost doubled.

Gascogne with her most famous child, D'Artagnan.

The French and Aragonese wars
It's history repeating!

It wasn't long until Aragon's patience ran out and king Alfonso V declared war. Aragon itself was weak, but it's Italian allies were many and amounted to a threat. Tillothy responded by sending Granada's cavalry to Catalonia, smashing Aragon's army into pieces. When will they learn to build cavalry? Hopefully never!
Then it was time to emply the navy. Thanks to Portugal's capitulation, Granada was in possession of some twenty war vessels. Each of them was worth a year of tax revenues and the Sultan had often wished that he could sell them. Now there was finally a use for them!
Any invasion force would have to come via see, so the fleet was send patrolling the Mediterranean coast. Sea battle followed sea battle, with mixed and suprising results. While Granda's fleet rarely lost ships, it was often forced to retreat, even when it had overwhelming numbers. At one point, two ships from Tuscany, being ten times outnumbered, chased away the entire fleet!

Tuscany ships forcing Granada's navy into a shameful retreat

Previously, The Sultan was known for his disdain of all things naval, summed up by the quote "Ships don't win me provinces!". Now it dawned to him that he might have been in the wrong and it would be wise to reconsider.
But while the navy failed to demolish the Allied navies, it succeeded, for the most part, in preventing enemy landings. These were far and between, usually to small to start an effective siege. The Italian warlords apparently liked Catalonia and never moved their invasion forces any further, which made them easy to deal with.
All the while, Granada's army was busy thwarthing rebellion after rebellion. The Sultan cursed his luck for getting so many bad events. Still, once Catalonia fell to a siege, Aragon came begging for peace.

This should about cover our war expenses!

While the Sultan was highly tempted to reject and mount an invasion of Italy, his sense of realism made him agree. For a good reason, too, as France declared war almost immediately afterwards!
The French commander entered Roussillion at the head of the biggest army ever recorded in Granadian history! Almost sixtythousand men, lusting for murder and loot!
Roussillion, never a rich province, couldn't support so many invaders and attrition was horrendous. Maybe this was the reason why king Charles VII began to shuffle troops in and out. Or maybe they were neeeded for another war elsewhere. It didn't matter to Tillothy. He had 20,000 riders waiting in Gerona. Waiting for the number of besiegers to fall to a manageable level.
Once they arrived there, he struck! The cavalry engaged the weakened French forces in Roussillion and beat them after a fierce battle. Losses were high, but the siege was lifted! The Granadian's withdrew right away, making no prisoners. New troops were trained to replace the fallen, while Granada waited for France to enter Roussillion again.
But Charles had enough for now.

The long awaited peace offer!

Granada accepted. Tillothy was thunderstruck at the incompetence of the French generals. He knew now that, with a bit of luck and good timing, France could be held at bay.

Two peaceful years followed, then Aragon and her allies declared war again. The war went exactly like the last confrontation between Granada and them and it ended with a peace agreement very much like last time.

It came as little suprise, when France tried her luck again, just after hostilities with Aragon ended. This time, less soldiers were send by Charles, but still enough to suffer attrition. And again the French generals failed to stayed focused, moving troops in and out. At one point they even lifted the siege themselves!
The war ended like the last one: A well timed attack by Granada, a period of waiting, then a peace deal much like the last one.

It now is 1471 and the third war with Aragon after 1452 has ended. Nothing unexpected happened during it and the Sultan began to develop an appreciation for the regular income bonus, gained from the peace treaty. It is now the time of the third war with France. For the first time, it looks like Rousillion may fall to a siege. But the real difference is, that this time Tlemcen dishonoured the very alliance she was leader of! Relations fell to -37 in the aftermath and now Morocco is in command of the alliance.

The current situation in Western Europe

Granada's Bad Boy is at 26/38 and i am beginning to think about expansion again. Relations with Tunesia and Morocco are both well over +100, so maybe it is time to work towards Vassalization. Since Tunesia is a vassal of Morocco, i am not sure if this is even possible, however. Do i need to be head of an alliance to make the other members vassals?

As you can see, stability is at 0. Granada has a lot of bad events and a peak into the event file reveals that it will stay this way until the 1490s.
Random events were not too great, either, which keeps me struggling to mantain a stability rating above 0. Research suffers from that and my neighbours are already ahead in most techs.

Most provinces have bailiffs now, but most money is needed in order to replace troops.

Top Bottom