Eurocentrism to the Max!!! What we gonna do?

j51

Blue Star Cadet
Original Post: So the new leader list reveal confirms it: A ton of civs/leaders from Europe, or of European ancestry (Cleopatra, Pedro II). Firaxis really dropped the ball on including civs and leaders from elsewhere. I think we need to lean on them to at least add some more Middle Eastern, Asian, Native American, and Sub-Saharan civs by Christmas at latest. Maybe a petition? Certainly they need to give us Persia, the Ottomans, Mongolia, a SE Asian civ, a native NA civ, the Inca, another Sub-Saharan civ, and a second non-Ptolemaic Egyptian leader pronto! Complaints got them to fix Teddy. We can make it happen! Let's do this!!!!!

EDIT 1 (8/18/16): I meant Western-Centrism instead of Eurocentrism in the title. I probably should have chosen a less inflammatory title over all. Also, I didn't intend for this thread to be a debate between those who are upset about the civ list and those who aren't. I meant it more as an organizational thread to lean on Firaxis to make some more non-Euro civs as DLC by the end of the year.

EDIT 2 (9/7/16): I kinda regret starting this thread and am amazed every time it comes back from the dead. After all the back and forth, while I think the game is a little Eurocentric, I'll definitely concede that it's not a big deal. I am still disappointed we aren't getting the Mongols, Inca, and especially the Persians on launch day, but from the look of how well they designed Kongo, I'm pumped to see what they'll eventually do with 'em. (I just hope they do it by Xmas! ;))

Complaints got them to fix some animation. It will not get them to replace Civs in the game. It may however get them to develop new ones as DLC.

There is literally a 0 percent chance of a petition or complaint causing firaxis to just bin a load of assets and create all of those civs from scratch. Get your wallet ready for non euro dlc

The rest of the world will get filled out in time. For now, though, I do think that having two Greek civs but no Persian civ is unfortunate.

There are 12 non-euro civs. What's the problem?

Non-euro:
1. Egypt
2. India
3. Sumeria
4. Japan
5. Aztecs
6. Kongo
7. Brazil
8. Russia (okay, this is a toss-up)
9. China
10. Arabia
11. America
12. Scythia

Euro:
1. France
2. Germany
3. Sparta
4. Norway
5. Athens
6. Spain
7. England
8. Rome

So the new leader list reveal confirms it: A ton of civs/leaders from Europe, or of European ancestry (Cleopatra, Pedro II). Firaxis really dropped the ball on including civs and leaders from elsewhere. I think we need to lean on them to at least add some more Middle Eastern, Asian, Native American, and Sub-Saharan civs by Christmas at latest. Maybe a petition? Certainly they need to give us Persia, the Ottomans, Mongolia, a SE Asian civ, a native NA civ, the Inca, another Sub-Saharan civ, and a second non-Ptolemaic Egyptian leader pronto! Complaints got them to fix Teddy. We can make it happen! Let's do this!!!!!

List is fine.

Looking forward to the expansion:
CIV VI: Beyond Europe

"We" don't need to do anything and "they" don't need to do anything. It's their game. Buy it or make your own game and/or DLC.

I am very fine with Eurocentrism. It pleases me - I'd rather have a leader from a country I know than Whomever from Wherever that didn't even have any real cities. Good job Firaxis, I will probably buy your game anyway despite saying before I wouldn't if Jadwiga didn't make it in - she'll likely be first or second DLC anyway.

It'll definitely be good for their sales too if you consider where are the major markets of gaming. And considering they're making unique architecture for all civs, it's easier to pick those from the same continent and a related culture, so no wonder they took so many European powers.

I must admit though I'll miss Ottomans/Persia.

1. Egypt
2. India
3. Sumeria
4. Japan
5. Aztecs
6. Kongo
7. Brazil
8. Russia (okay, this is a toss-up)
9. China
10. Arabia
11. America
12. Scythia

The problem is that a lot of people in this forum are just hate euro civs and never feel please with the amount of non-euro civs.

As much as I'd liked to see a SEA, west african, or more pre-colonial american civs, there's barely a reason to complain gameplay wise or make a ruckus over this.
There are still DLCs and mods.

That same people need to realise that this means that we wiill get MORE diversity in Expansion Packs....no?

The quicker they get through all the Europeans ones, the more room it opens for TSL. Which makes sense with what they said.

Yep, they definitely should have left England, France, Germany, and Russia out of the base game. That would have gone over much better than this Euro centrism nonsense :mischief:

Complaints got them to fix some animation. It will not get them to replace Civs in the game. It may however get them to develop new ones as DLC.
There is literally a 0 percent chance of a petition or complaint causing firaxis to just bin a load of assets and create all of those civs from scratch. Get your wallet ready for non euro dlc

That's all I'm asking for. It can be paid DLC. That's perfectly reasonable, but they better have at least Persia, Mongolia, and the Inca by the end of the year! :trouble:

There may be 12 "non-Euro" but there's really only 9 non-Western (US and Brazil being of the Western culture.) To that you can add Cleo as a Western leader of a non-Western nation. So that's 8.5 non-Western civs, less than half.

That same people need to realise that this means that we wiill get MORE diversity in Expansion Packs....no?

The quicker they get through all the Europeans ones, the more room it opens for TSL. Which makes sense with what they said.

Why do you think there is no diversity between different euro civs?

There may be 12 "non-Euro" but there's really only 9 non-Western (US and Brazil being of the Western culture.) To that you can add Cleo as a Western leader of a non-Western nation. So that's 8.5 non-Western civs, less than half.
The title should be about westerncentrism then ;)

As I said in the other thread, this is literally the worst civ line up in the entire game.

No Persia (unless they decided to make Xerxes the leader, which I think a terrible decision in itself), No Ottomans, No Mongols. India confirmed to just be one civ again. Kongo is a eurocentric decision, no other subsarahan african civs, only one native american civ (and that's if you preorder!), etc, etc.

But Brazil is a starter civ? Sparta is so important that they get to be split off from the main Greece civ? European Scythians being picked for the token steppe culture rather than the Mongols? God, its like these people don't even care about non-european history, and just throwing in token non-western civs because they feel obligated to. Honestly really dissapointed.

Top Bottom