Europa Europa Deluxe: European Empires Mod 1525-1800

Super news AG.

And not to :deadhorse:, but if you have building graphics needs now is the time to let me know since I'm about done playing/testing Civ until BtS.

Sorry... no screenshots. :cry:

Basically, I'm going to do the whole thing in BtS. We'll get the information and art ready to go before BtS comes out and then, once it does, we can quickly add it all and put it out quickly after BtS. I'm doing it this way so we don't have to program things twice (once in Warlords and again in BtS). It will also prevent conversion problems.

The Apostolic Palace will definitely be used in this mod... I'm excited for that! The Papal State will be an interesting player, it won't have land or armies but will have diplomacy and money. The Apostolic Palace will also add an interesting dimension to the Reformation.

Well, I worked on the Tech Tree today. Take a look below and see if there's anything missing. There are 53 techs so far. The game will have about 350 turns, so I could probably add a few more... but not many.

Please let me know what you think!

Here's a list of techs:
Spoiler :

Administration
African Coast
Architecture
Astronomy
Banking
Cavalry Tactics
Centralized State
Chemistry
Classical Physics
Compass
Craftsmanship
Diplomacy
Divine Right
Engineering
Enlightenment
Exploration
Factory System
Fine Arts
Guild System
Gunpowder
Humanism
Infantry Tactics
Internal Markets
Law
Liberalism
Machinery
Mathematics
Medicine
Metallurgy
Military Strategy
Music
Napoleonic Tactics
Nationhood
Natural Philosophy
Natural Rights
Naval Tactics
New World
North America
Oriental Sea Route
Painting
Pike Formations
Political Economy
Putting-Out System
Science
Sculpture
Seapower
Seige Tactics
Shipbuilding
South America
Standing Army
State Craft
Trade
University

Attached is the tech tree (excel version).

Attachments

• techtree.gif
    techtree.gif
    26.8 KB · Views: 104
Hmm, here's what comes to mind right now for new techs:
Printing press [allows printing presses?]
Constitution [unlocks social contract civic]
Scientific revolution [Allows lab to be built]
Empiricism
Magnetism
Reasoning
microbiology
Monasticism [Allows different Monastic sects {only one per city}]
Psychology

That's all I can think of for now.

Here's a few ideas to play with:

- The Pocket Watch (key for navigation, allows a certain kind of improved ship maybe)

- Accounting (the double-entry bookkeeping method, allows you to see how much you have coming in and going out... probably the inspiration for mercantilism)

- Sovereignty (the idea of respected and sovereign borders, but without the same nationalistic zeal that came later. could enable any number of civics)

@Leif & eh_epic

Thanks for all your suggestions... they're all great. I'll definitely incorporate some of those ideas in the much resived tech tree. After thinking some more... for some reason, the one I posted above just isn't doing it for me.

A couple of misc. comments and musings for anybody to comment on...

BtS

I'm excited to learn of the new capabilities of BtS such as events!!! I hope they'll allow for the stuff that I want to do with this. Again, Apostolic Palace looks very handy for this scenario. It'll probably go obsolete with "Enlightenment".

Discovery Slider

Also, I'm thinking about how I could add a new slider for "discovery" expenditures. Instead of "researching" the New World or Oriental Sea Routes to build colonies, players would allocate commerce on exploration (just as they'd spend it on culture or science or, with BtS, espionage). Python could check the level of exploration spending every turn and then randomly hand out "discovery techs" based on exploration level (e.g. every unit of currency spent on discovery gives a one percent chance of new discovery... or something like that). These "discovery techs" would then allow certain colony wonders that provide luxuries. Discovery techs could be traded with other civs, just as normal techs... and would be very valuable assets.

Then we could also have "discovery" increasing wonders and buildings. For example, "Columbus's Voyage" wonder could increase Discovery allocation by 100% in all cities.

I'm very excited by this new idea. I'm pretty sure that it'd be very easy to do with my python knowledge (just check slider levels and hand out random discoveries that way). The only question is if sliders can be added and if the AI knows how to use them. Has anybody added sliders like this before that the AI uses???

Time for a Public "Brainstorm"

I'm taking ideas about the following... any suggestings for 1453 to 1800 Europe in the following areas:
- civics (not sure if I want to do 10 x 4 choices or the standard 5 x 6 choices)
- mlitary units
- buildings to include (they don't need artwork)
- wonders to include
- additional techs

Peace... and thanks for the continued interest!

Here's an idea for the discovery mission: it would be like launching a golden age. If you build 3 galleons, you can press "launch discovery" to consume the three of them, and unlock whatever bonus seems appropriate. A step further would be to maybe even make this consume some gold in the process, but I'm not sure how complicated that might be to implement. But it seems unnecessary to give its own slider. Instead, just have three or four discovery missions that every player can launch like a golden age.

As for the civics, I think the religious and government columns can stay but will need new abilities in each column. As for economy and labor, I think notions of labor are too developed and notions of economy are too underdeveloped to pull these apart. You're not going to see environmentalism or state property or the caste system or emancipation. I think these two should be collapsed together, which would make plenty of room for another type of column.

Your papacy ideas seem great, keep running with 'em.
As for the discussion on discovery, to me it's a matter of what comes most naturally. I personally haven't a clue what XML coding would be necessary for either. Just by the sound of it I think Arbitrary's idea is more interesting than Epic's [while his likely being less strenuous to implement] , but that's not to say that it's a bad idea. Either would be great and whichever one ends up in the mod I'll be happy. It just seems too easy to build three galleons and pay some money.

As for corporations, you could add the East India Trading company and the Hans. League, among others.

The random events have limitless possibility to make the game more challenging and interesting, so borrowing many from EU3 and inventing new ones seems like common sense. Also the Magna Mundi mod for EU3 seems to have a great deal of good inspiration.

IMHO, your extended 10x4 civic section would help add even more depth and allow for more tinkering to occur. The only difficulty I see with implementing it is balancing and making each civic different enough from other. I suppose my preference with expanded civics is I like options. Again, Eu3 has a great deal of ready inspiration.

Creating all the Civics might be a bit of a chore, but it's certainly possible and as usual I'll pipe in when I think of something.

I love all the progress going on here AG, great job!

For the exploration mechanic idea, I'd prefer something along the lines of AG's most recent proposal. It would do a good job simulating the sustained effort it took to establish useful colonies. Just sending a few galleons over once was never enough. Perfect example is the Roanoke colony that was founded by the English, only to be neglected during the war with the Spanish and subsequently never heard from again.

The "click a few galleons and spend some gold" thing could be just as hard for the player, if not harder, than having a discovery slider. It all depends on how much you demand the player pay.

That said, if the idea of "sustained effort" seems necessary to you, the best way to do these exploration missions is a lot like the space race. e.g.: build 5 "ships to America", build 3 "colonists", build 5 "pilots"... and then launch. Something to that effect.

You could even more easily have a 700 or 800 hammer national wonder for those discoveries. There's lots of ways to simply tie into existing mechanisms. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Very good point.

I suppose I support both ideas equally now.

While waiting for BtS, I think I'm gonna make an EE: Warlords. It'll just be an EE port to Warlords (4000 BCE to 2050 CE). Should be done by the end of the week. :) I'm still working on this (EE: Deluxe), I've just gotta do something while we wait for BtS...

Only gonna put 12 civs in this little port...
- Austria
- England
- France
- Russia
- Sweden
- Poland
- Italy
- Germany
- Ottoman Empire
- Spain
- ?
- ?

Any suggestions for the other two?

@ jdog5000

Glad you're looking forward to it. Spain's already included. Not much room for Greece or Denmark to expand... maybe I should keep it at 10??

Or add unplayable minors that cannot expand.... which may be interesting canidates for vassalizing.

Top Bottom