Europe 1890

What do you have in mind?

Just little stuff to go along with my own personal preferences.

To name a few:

-Various changes in the landscape and bonsuses available.
-Added a few more wonders to the cities: (Eiffel Tower in Paris, Great Wall in York, The Angkor Wat in Prague, Chicken Itza in Lisbon, and the Taj Mahal in Istanbul.)

*I added the Eiffel Tower in Paris because France needs a boost, and the other stuff I added in the cities I thought most appropiate because it seems weird to be building stuff like that in the Industrial Age when they should already exists.

-Added the other religions in to best reflect the financial capitals of Europe. (Paris hosts Taoism, Frankfurt hosts Confucism, Amsterdam hosts Buddhism, and Stockhold hosts Hinduism.)

-Added some more cities in French Africa, also make Timbuktu and moved the University of Sankore there. France also has access to oil from Africa now too.

-Moved the Christian capital from Rome to London to better reflect the financial superiority of London at that time.

-Added some more technology to Greece. (There missing too many ancient ones.)

-Made some other various corrections around the map, I don't recall them all though.

*I thought about adding America in but after trying, I ended up not being able to get enough room.

*And also trying to find ways to descrease some of Russia's population as it allows the country to get far more powerful than it should be imo.

Your more than welcome to edit the scenarion for your Personal Use. I wouldve put the Eifle Tower in Paris but they dont have that tech yet. Industrial Age is very off balance. When I first set out on creating this my original idea was to do the World at 1890 but I couldnt find a map to accuratly portray it seeing Europe would be weak even with all thier colonies also America and Russia would be to strong. So i decided just to stick with Europe.

good idea but my only surgestion is to use this map

Well, that's really funny.
Italy is stronger then France, Russia and Austro Hungary? :))))))))))))
Denmark and Spain stronger then Russia? :)))))))))))))))))

I'm sorry but it seems that you lack a lot of knowledge, you should call these scenario - Fantasy world.

I'm sorry but it seems that you lack a lot of knowledge, you should call these scenario - Fantasy world.

It would be nearly impossible to make this Scenario completely accurate. I tired to recreate Europe and make the game playable.

Italy is only slightly stronger than France which is arguable, Russia at the time although having such a large military available, it was poorly trained, and ill-equipped which was demonstrated in WW1. Russia was still living in feudal times and were a "backwards people" during that time.

Austria Hungary being so multi-national was suffering from "revolts" from much of its population. They also lacked the industrial power of other nations.

Denmark and Spain - I wanted to give Denmark and Spain enough power to hold out from an initial attack from Italy or France.

It would be nearly impossible to make this Scenario completely accurate. I tired to recreate Europe and make the game playable.

Italy is only slightly stronger than France which is arguable, Russia at the time although having such a large military available, it was poorly trained, and ill-equipped which was demonstrated in WW1. Russia was still living in feudal times and were a "backwards people" during that time.

Austria Hungary being so multi-national was suffering from "revolts" from much of its population. They also lacked the industrial power of other nations.

Denmark and Spain - I wanted to give Denmark and Spain enough power to hold out from an initial attack from Italy or France.

With the benefit of hindsight, people often look on this period in reference to the respective success of various nations in the first world war. Thus you might get a conclusion like "Russia was weaker than Italy". Not only is this a bad approach for a number of scholarly reasons, it's just plain wrong.

The relative power of Italy and France is not arguable. France was far more advanced in terms of industry and could conscript a larger army than Italy, especially in 1890. Similarly, Austria-Hungary and Russia were greater great powers. Calling Italy a great power in 1890 is a stretch, most historians do it, but the fact is, in 1890 Italy was afraid to challenge Austria for supremacy in the Balkans, and had yet to have a presence in Africa. Placing Italy in Africa for this time period should not pose any threat to French, British, or German interests in Africa because of their relative power superiority.

Out of the nation-states you mentioned, in 1890, Italy is closer in power to Denmark and Spain, than France, Austria, or Russia. The Italians were still committed (and in some ways dependent on Bismarck's alliance system for security against Austria) to the Triple Alliance, and they had alienated themselves from France 20 years ago when they failed to support them in the Franco-Prussian war and then took over Rome. Thus Italy's great power status was very insecure, more so than Austria-Hungary.

If you want to beef Italy up, and still maintain an immersive historical setting, you might want to start your scenario in a later time period.

Good luck! I'm working on something similar.

=fk=Veteran.

I'm afraid you are mistaken, Russia indeed was backwards economickly but the Russian did bit the turks pretty badly at 1877. And they military was in resounble shape, while Itlay never was a strong nation since the Roman times( personnaly i will never call Italians Romans, that's too diffrent nations with almost nothing in common). The Germans showed who is the boss to France in 1871, and they were no real struggle, the Germans crashed the French...

Spain was indeed a backward country, and was much weaker then Russia, while Russia was one of the strongest countries at that time, well, maybe backward with not to much modern quipment, but don't forget the size of Russia, and size after all- does matter.

Itlay should be a little bit stronger then Spain, maybe even at the same strength, the Italians are no warriors, and ww1 and ww2 showed it pretty well.

Now now, be nice. :)

Register666666
Well- I did sound a little bit tough- but I couldn't help it...I was almost laughing once I heard that Russia was one of the weakest nations in Europe and Italy was the strongest one.
And it wasn't the only joke.

Version 3.2
Some minor changes...
Spoiler :

Italy's - Strength was reduced
France - Strength increased slightly
Netherlands/Belgium - Navy was increased
Spain - Strength was decreased slightly
Russia - Strength was increased considerably (from 2 musket man to 4-5 per city: To show the amount of reserves it had)
Ottoman - Strength was increased slightly
Austria Hungary - Strength was increased considerably

For current Version please see first post.

=fk=Veteran
As you said in the beginning, about you wanting to create a scenario of the world in 1890. It's a real pitty that civ is a game withought real balance, and it looks like it can't be changed, not by simple users atlist....If only we could make the PC to care about such things as balance...I mean- thay your neighboors wouldn't like and let you destroy weaker civs one by another....Which leads to lack of balance.

I know exactly what you mean, unfortunately there are just so many factors to consider and to make things worse the tech tree is poorly represented for that era. Im hoping we'll see some changes with BTS.

Register666666
Well- I did sound a little bit tough- but I couldn't help it...I was almost laughing once I heard that Russia was one of the weakest nations in Europe and Italy was the strongest one.
And it wasn't the only joke.

If you play it long enough, you'll find Russia becomes ridiculously powerful later on.

On the religion issue: at one point I dabbled with the huge Earth map, and wanted to differentiate civilizations following the scheme proposed by Samuel Huntington in his Clash of civilizations. Thus (to make things clear) I made Rome centre of Christianity, used Judaism for Orthodoxy and based it in Moscow, Gave Arabs Islam, India Hinduism, China Confucianism and Japan Taoism. Buddhism I handed to Shaka to substitute for Animism.

This to say - and I know it's a mere proposal: why don't you just pick non-European religions and assign them to Germany and Russia, to simulate their being the centre of Protestantism and Orthodoxy?

Looks good and im just about to download but i agree england should be changed to Britain.(Not being patriotic or anything:) )

To tell you the truth , u should elinimate Holy Cities even if you want them to be finacial Cities, they cause to much trouble in the game.

You download the file and simply place it in your public maps folder in your warlords folder.

the directory would be Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Warlords\PublicMaps

There wasn't a kingdom of denmark and norway anymore since the napoleonic wars. However Norway and Sweden where unified at the same time (disolved in 1905).

Top Bottom