Europe: From Rome to Revolution

nutnut

Budding Modder
Europe: From Rome to Revolution
E:FRTR is currently in development and is in need of graphics artists, python modders, people with good ideas and mindless drones to help out with the XML.

Beta 1 due out within 5-14 Days - This is no longer the case. Beta 1 is now due out before Christmas.

Contents

• Overview
o What is E:FRTR?
o Why Not Have RFC Mechanics?
• Civilisations
o British Isles
o Central Europe
o Fenno-Scandinavia
o Italy
o Iberia
o North Africa
o Eastern Europe
o Balkans
o Middle-East
o Caucasus
• Included Mods and Components
• Features

o Knightly Orders
o Religions
o Merchant Fleets
o Discovery and Colonisation
o Ethnicity
• The Map
• Scenarios

o Classical
o Middle Ages
o Renaissance
o Colonialism
o Industrialism
o The Modern World
• Credits

Overview

What is E:FRTR?
Europe: From Rome to Revolution is a Mod for Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword designed to simulate the history of Europe (as well as North Africa and the Middle-East) from the days of the Roman Empire right on through to the present day and beyond. The mod will achieve this through use of a large number of Civs, Scenarios, Revolutions and Ethnicity (all will be explained later). Game speed is also modified to create a longer and more in-depth game. Although this mod includes 60 or so Civs, not all of them will be used in every scenario. However, in the event of a Revolution, it means there are plenty of spare civs to fill out the map.

Why Not Have RFC Mechanics?
Rhye’s and Fall of Civilization takes place on a world map with enough Civs to fill out the places which have shaped history. Also, RFC has around thirty Civs in it. As this Mod uses something closer to fifty or sixty by the time the player reaches the Medieval Era their computer won’t be able to cope with it. Not using RFC Mechanics also means that creating Scenarios for this Mod is much easier.

Civilizations

British Isles
• England - Elizabeth I --- Done
• Scotland - Robert I
• Wales - Llewellyn
• Ireland – Brian Boru
• Wessex - Alfred
• United Kingdom – Victoria, Churchill

Central Europe
• France – Louis XIV, Napoleon, De Gaulle --- Done
• Normandy – Rollo, William the Conqueror
• Brittany -
• Burgundy -
• Savoy -
• Switzerland -
• Belgium -
• Flanders -
• The Netherlands – Willem Van Oranje --- Done
• Holy Roman Empire – Charles V
• Germany -
• Bavaria -
• Prussia – Frederick
• Teutonic Order – Von Salza
• Czech -
• Austria – Maria Theresa, Franz Joseph
• Celtia - Brennus --- Done

Fenno-Scandinavia
• Denmark -
• Norway – Harald III, Haakon ?
• Kalmar Union – Margrete I
• Sweden – Charles XII, Gustavus Adolphus
• Finland – Kekkonen, Mannerheim

Italy
• Rome – Augustus Caesar, Julius Caesar --- Done
• Italy - Mussolini
• Milan -
• Genoa -
• Venice - Dandalo
• Sicily – Roger II
• Papal States –
• Lombardy -
• Goths - Alaric

Iberia
• Spain – Franco, Isabella
• Portugal – Joao II --- Done
• Castille y Leon – Ferdinand ? , ??
• Aragon - Isabella
• Euskuldanak -
• Catalonia -
• Al-Andalus – Abd Ar Rahman I

North Africa
• Maghreb – Abu Zakariya
• Berber
• Morocco
• Algiers

Eastern Europe
• Poland
• Hungary
• Lithuania
• Russia
• Ukraine
• Croatia

The Balkans
• Serbia
• Albania
• Greece
• Byzantium
• Bulgaria
• Romania

Middle-East
• Ottoman/Turks
• Arabia
• Israel
• Egypt
• Babylon
• Persia
• Timurids

Caucasus
• Georgia
• Azerbaijan
• Bosporus
• Mongols
• Kazakhstan

Included Mods and Components

• Revolutions --- Done
• Revolution Inquisitions --- Done
• Super Spies --- Done
• Dale’s Combat Mod --- Done
• Influence Driven War --- Done
• BUG Mod --- Done
• Better BTS AI --- Done

Features

• Knightly Orders
After the Discovery of Theology and Guilds, a Civ can use a Great General to establish a Knightly Order (World Wonder) in any city where Catholicism is present (so long as Catholicism is the State Religion). Each Knightly Order can produce its own Unique Unit. A Civ can only found (but not only control) one Knightly Order. If a Civ controls a city with a Knightly Order, then in that city they can produce the Unit of that Knightly Order. If the Civ changes its State Religion after establishing a Knightly Order they can no longer produce the Unit of that Order.

 Knights Templar
Unit: Knight Templar (Knight with +20% Strength, gains twice as much experience from attacking cities without Catholicism)

 Knights Hospitaller
Unit: Knight Hospitaller (Knight with +50% Strength when defending cities with Catholicism)

 Teutonic Knights
Unit: Teutonic Crusader (Knight with +50% Strength when attacking cities without Catholicism)

 Order of Calatrava
Unit: Calatrava Knight (Knight with +50% Strength against units belonging to a Civ with a different State Religion)

 Order of Saint James
Unit: Knight of Saint James (Knights with Medic I and II Promotions)

• Religions
o Catholicism
o Protestantism
o Orthodoxy
o Judaism
o Shi’a Islam
o Sunni Islam
o Celtic Paganism
o Asatru
o Hellenism
o Amun-Ra
o Zoroastrianism
o Tengriism
o Baltic Paganism
o Amazigh

• Merchants
Two new units added are Merchants and Merchant Ships. Merchants can travel to any foreign city and do a Trade Mission (similar to a Great Merchant, but doesn’t produce as much Gold). Merchant Ships, when moved to a Foreign Port, are loaded up with Gold, if the ship makes it back to a port belonging to the owning Civ then, depending on the distance, a certain amount of Gold is added to that Civilisation’s Treasury. If there Merchant Ship is captured by a hostile Civ (including Privateers) then they get all the Gold from it.

• Discovery and Colonisation
This idea is, in part, taken from Arbitrary Guy's outstanding Mod 'Europa Europa 3: European Empires'. In the game there are several Discovery Technologies (in this example it will be Discovery - The Americas). Any Civ that researches it can then build a World Wonder 'Exploration of the Americas' (of which only is allowed). This Wonder provides 5 American Map resources. Any Civ with an American Map resource can build in any coastal city a national wonder called 'Further Exploration of the Americas'. This provides 3 American Map Resources. As such, Map resources will eventually spread so that everyone has one. A Map Resource allows the construction of a Colonial Wonder. In the Americas this could include 'Colony-Canada', 'Colony-Cuba', etc. Each Colony grants access to a different resource (such as Fur in Canada).

• Italy and the Renaissance
In the Renaissance certain Techs, Buildings and Units become available to the Italian Civs (in some cases just before they’re available to other Civs, whilst others are totally unique). This is due to Italy’s problem of being a small area filled with lots of Civs. This not only makes them more powerful on the World Stage but also makes it easier for one Civ to take over all the others, bringing about Italian Unification.

o New Units
 Arquebusier – Strength 7, Movement 1, Cost 50
 Commedia Troupe – If stationed in a city provides +3 Happiness for every turn they are there. They can be established in any city (consuming the unit), including foreign ones (which can greatly help a culture flip when you don’t have the budget for the slider), which provides +20 Culture, Cost 100
 Pavise Crossbowman – Strength 7, Movement 1, Cost 70, +50% Against Melee Units, +25% Defence
 Mounted Crossbowman – Strength 6, Movement 2, Cost 100, +75% Against Melee Units

o Buildings
 Medici Banks – +75% Gold, Cost 250
 Public Stage – +20 Culture, +2 Happiness, Cost 120
 Council Chambers – -25% Maintenance Cost, +1 Happiness, Cost 130

o Wonders
 Da Vinci’s Anatomical Sketches (National Wonder) – Creates 3 Anatomical Sketches Resources (+1 Health in Cities with access to them)

o Technologies
 Copernican Theory – +100& Great Scientist Emergence in all cities, Cost 800
 Da Vinci’s Anatomical Sketches – Allows the Da Vinci’s Anatomical Sketches National Wonder, Cost 575
 Italian Renaissance – Starts an immediate Golden Age, Cost 700

• Ethnicity
E:FRTR does away with Unique Units and Buildings for Civs. Instead there is Ethnicity. Every city on the map has an Ethnicity Building. In this example, it will be a Scottish Ethnicity Building.
Say Scotland starts at 4000 BC. It rules over Edinburgh and Glasgow. Both these cities have Scottish Ethnicity in them. As such they can produce Socttish Units (during this era all that would give them access to are Scottish Settlers (can establish Scottish Ethnicity in a city). Then one Day the Romans conquer Scotland. Now the Romans can produce Scottish Settlers (useful if they'll want any hard-hitting infantry in the Middle-East or something). But before Rome can take advantage of these units, they collapse from over stretching. Now, when the Romans arrived the for culture (maybe they blitzed Drama) slider is up on 100%. As such Scottish culture is gone, so we won't see that Civ again. But a new Civ in Northumbria crops up, and conquers Scotland. That Civ can now produce Scottish units.
One day I'll mod it so that for every ethnicity in an Empire, the local instability increases.
Also, me wonders whether certain Civics could allow for Genocide (or population relocation)?

The Map

Scenarios

Classical
• Classical Europe
• Fall of the Roman Empire
• Conquests of Justinian I

Middle Ages
• Medieval Europe
• 987 AD
• 1066 AD
• Mongols
• 1380 AD

The Renaissance
• Renaissance Europe
• The Age of Discovery
• Thirty Years War and the Dutch Revolt
• Ottoman Conquests

Colonialism
• Colonial Europe
• The War of the Spanish Succession
• Napoleon

Industrialism
• Post-Napoleonic Europe
• The Crimean War
• Prussia and Germany
• Franco-Prussian War

The Modern World
• 20th Century Europe
• The Balkan Wars
• 1950s

Credits

Will be filled in once a complete list can be compiled.

Good to see this is up and running! I've kept an eye on Europe Through the Ages, but never downloaded it, unfortunatly, and didn't post. However, I think I'll change my attitude here. Now, I wish I could help, but the most I could offer is my historical knowlage: I've studided Roman and Byzantine history, as well as the majority of Europe as well, so any help I can give, I'll give it gladly.

One question: Is this going to have just historical senarios, or alternate history senarios as well?

Good to see this is up and running! I've kept an eye on Europe Through the Ages, but never downloaded it, unfortunatly, and didn't post. However, I think I'll change my attitude here. Now, I wish I could help, but the most I could offer is my historical knowlage: I've studided Roman and Byzantine history, as well as the majority of Europe as well, so any help I can give, I'll give it gladly.

One question: Is this going to have just historical senarios, or alternate history senarios as well?

A closet fan! Better than nothing, I suppose.

Historical information would be very useful, particularly for Dark Ages Scenarios (fall of West Rome to Norman Conquest of England). Any good moments for Scenarios would be good (it can support 48 Civs or so, so don't worry if it's a complex scenario).

I was thinking of, once the historical side of the Mod was complete, to start doing Modern and Future Era Scenarios but alternate history sounds interesting. Some good ones might be 'what if Rome never collapsed?', 'what if Constantinople never fell the East Romans made a come-back?', 'what if the Winter of 1812 wasn't bitterly cold?' and 'what if the Mongols reached Frankfurt?'. Any others you think ought to go in and I'll gladly work on them (once the mod itself blus base scenarios is up).

A closet fan! Better than nothing, I suppose.

Historical information would be very useful, particularly for Dark Ages Scenarios (fall of West Rome to Norman Conquest of England). Any good moments for Scenarios would be good (it can support 48 Civs or so, so don't worry if it's a complex scenario).

I was thinking of, once the historical side of the Mod was complete, to start doing Modern and Future Era Scenarios but alternate history sounds interesting. Some good ones might be 'what if Rome never collapsed?', 'what if Constantinople never fell the East Romans made a come-back?', 'what if the Winter of 1812 wasn't bitterly cold?' and 'what if the Mongols reached Frankfurt?'. Any others you think ought to go in and I'll gladly work on them (once the mod itself blus base scenarios is up).

Ah, the Fall of West Rome, perfect. I'll need to brush up on the Norman Conquest though, I'll start looking for the book now.

Yes, that's what I meant! Horray! Something like a return of the Byzantines, only withoiut the return part. Imagen a no Muslim world, Mouamet having converted to Christianity on a trip to Syria, become a monk, and later Arch Bishop of New Carthage. Thus, Byzantium is able to reconquer Rome, Ispania, and the southern portion of Frankia. Because of these events, Anglo-Saxon Europe never falls, the Franks keep controll of their historical territory (minus Southern Frankia), Persian conquerors the Arabian Penninsula and stays Zoroastrain, ect. ect.

Or perhaps a Neo Byzantium: A more sucessful Greek outcome in the Greco-Turkish War of 1919, where Greece takes controll of what it claimed, and resolved it's border dispute with the French.

Basiclly, they controll all the territory in black, plus the shaded area, maybe more. Or is Hitler had chosen not to invade the USSR and instead comitted more forces to Egypt? Some stuff along thoes lines.

As an LH maker I can say that a lot of the LHs you have requested are finished and look pretty good. The ones I have made are Kekkonen, Charles V, and Gustav Adolph, I am also working on a Hermann Von Salza which I can show you right now...

Many of the other leaders you have listed can use substitutes (I always thought that Ekmek's El Cid could easily be used as a Crusades-era Muslim ruler for example) so I think you won't have much work to do in that area. As for the units; there are a lot available out there, it just takes some time, patience, and in some cases a few simple-reskins. For the LHs I have made you can either look in the database or visit my leaderhead gallery (there is a link in my signature) to find them easier. Good luck, and I look forward to see what you come up with.

> Also, RFC has around thirty Civs in it. As this Mod uses something closer to fifty or sixty by the time the player reaches the Medieval Era their computer won’t be able to cope with it.

RFRE uses a 48 civ dll without incurring any large lag. The 275BC scenario has the Med fully settled. There are only 32 civs alive initially, the other slots get used later on for the Vandals, Goths, Huns, Franks, Lombards, Palmyrene, Gallic, Western Roman Empire, and maybe some others. This is a very dynamic time if you intend to do it justice. Maybe have any settler past the first 3(?) instead create a new civ on settling? At least for the Germans and Celts it would be a good portrayal.

In the industrial+ ages that might be a lot longer turns with how far units move, etc.. Also almost all leaderheads are static. I know people like making leaderheads, but with so many civs it will kill most peoples puters. Perhaps having a static leaderhead modcomp like RoM does so people can pick what works for them would be wise.

Wow! Thanks for all of the replies.

>Lean, a 20th Century Byzantine Empire sounds legendary, as does a world without Islam (I don't mean that disrespectfully). If I were to PM you a map of Europe, could you mark what the world would look like in both cases?

>The Capo, I've seen your Leaderhead work (along with others) and I certainly had plans to include them (and give you credit for them, obviously). I was planning on making substitutions too.

>Mechaerik, I've seen those and they'll probably go in.

>Primordial Stew, for now I'll be using animated Leaderheads. I want the mod to be up and running before I began making optional additions. And RFC uses a lot of Python, which seriously slows down time between turns.

UPDATE - Filled in Ethnicity Section.

I suggest you all take a read of that, it's one of the most important bits of gameplay in this.

Dude, you rock. I look forward to this big time! And, I will be slowly sending you the parts I have said I would work on.

Question...
For the civs which I couldn't find an animated LH for, until someone with the requesite skills makes them, its cool to just use still pics for them, right?

Dude, you rock. I look forward to this big time! And, I will be slowly sending you the parts I have said I would work on.

Why, thank you.

Question...
For the civs which I couldn't find an animated LH for, until someone with the requesite skills makes them, its cool to just use still pics for them, right?

Could you reskin an old Leaderhead? Even if it's just changing the colours that's fine. The thing is a lot of the Leaders I wish to use don't have pictures on the internet and having a mixmatch of animated cartoons and serious paintings won't work.

I'm now going to update the Discovery and Colonisation section (ripped from Arbitrary Guys EE3 Mod and then expanded).

>A 20th Century Byzantine Empire sounds legendary, as does a world without Islam (I don't mean that disrespectfully). If I were to PM you a map of Europe, could you mark what the world would look like in both cases?

Of course I could. In fact, there's already one about the No Muslim world (I mean no disrespect either), and I'm sure I'll be able to make one for the Neo-Byzantine world too. In fact, I'll shoot you a PM now.

I just read the Ethnicity Section, and I must say it's a very good idea! Your suggestion about instability is also great.

Could you reskin an old Leaderhead? Even if it's just changing the colours that's fine. The thing is a lot of the Leaders I wish to use don't have pictures on the internet and having a mixmatch of animated cartoons and serious paintings won't work.
If I could, I would... but it is beyond my skill level... People like the Capo, Ekmek, etc have done some AWESOME work, and since this seems like a pretty great project, perhaps they would be willing to do a couple for you?

If I could, I would... but it is beyond my skill level... People like the Capo, Ekmek, etc have done some AWESOME work, and since this seems like a pretty great project, perhaps they would be willing to do a couple for you?

Oh well. I'll try them at some point, once I've got the entire plan finalised.

Also, as a tie-in with Ethnicity, what do people think to A) Migration and B) Certain Civics allowing population relocation and Genocide?

UPDATE - Discovery and Colonisation section completed.

I would skip the genocide thing... I mean, yes, it has happened... but in this game, it could actually be helpful (you slaughter foreign culture within your city to keep from losing it...), and that is probably not a good message to get out... even if such actions would cause some international outrage and make you an outcast (like nukes do)

I would skip the genocide thing... I mean, yes, it has happened... but in this game, it could actually be helpful (you slaughter foreign culture within your city to keep from losing it...), and that is probably not a good message to get out... even if such actions would cause some international outrage and make you an outcast (like nukes do)

Exactly my thoughts. There are some parts of history I don't want this to tread into. But I couldn't think of any other way to remove an Ethnicity from a city (but then again, until I mod Revolutions, why would you want to).

I've been doing some playing around with the XML and I've got Knights available with Horserding, Feudalism and Divine Right (plus a horse resource). It causes psychotic levels of unbalance (Pikes don't come around for ages). So there are three options: 1) Bump up Spearmen so that they can take on this new threat (but it'll also overpower them in the Classical era), 2) Bring Pikes forward and tone them down against everything bar Knights or 3) create a new unit for the Early Middle Ages that's designed to beat up Knights (and if so, what?).

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for things to go into this Mod. I'm open to new ideas so long as either I can make them or somebody can help me. Even if they're not Euro-Centric, they could easily be adpated.

Top Bottom