Europe in 2002

Archer 007

Rebirth
Post any ideas you have for a scenerio based on modern Europe. It started as a futuristic famine but I changed it.

Where's what's known so far.

Civs
Commonwealth of Indepentent States
Islamic Nations (for North Africa and Asia Minor)
Greater Germany
Spain & Portigual
Scandavia (sp?)
United Kingdom
French & Italy

Well...I'd suggest a nice complex alliance system. Perhaps you could also edit the tech tree and add in some more advances to better reflect todays society, a lot of scenarios tend to not have much in the way of techs built in.

Maybe the scenario could be something along the lines of the breakup of the EU.

An EU breakup was my basic idea. I was planning on some custom techs, but don't really have those sorted out yet. Do you have ideas for special units for these civs? Any ideas about renaming some wonders and city improvements.

First off, you'll need to change a LOT of wonders(I hate scenarios where half or more of the wonders start out as obsolete!) I would suggest making the EU itself a wonder..perhaps the city w/it can be destroyed(hence adding to the scenario's main idea, just a thought)

As for the units, I'm not european and have absolutely NO idea on what's popular over there/what would be a good modern unit rep. Perhaps a euro can help out here?

Could use Marco Polo's then make a wonder than could be built w/ later techs called the New EU. Do you think my system of dividing the countries is good or do you an better ideas? The CIS is staying, but the other's haven't been started. What would be your opinion for the location of the EU wonder? How do you destroy a wonder in a city w/o destroying the city itself.

I was wondering about general things the countries are well known for (ex. Navy Seals) Do you know anything like that.

There are many other nations in Europe than just theese. Or will it be another scenario without central europeans?

Originally posted by burak
There are many other nations in Europe than just theese. Or will it be another scenario without central europeans?

I would have liked to have included many other nations, but with only seven civs, it seemed best to include the major players. I assume that by "Central Europeans" you are talking about Poland, Check Republic, Yugoslavia, and the like. Most of this region is included under the CIS. This is because of the former status as Soviet puppet state. I would have made them seperate if possible.

Do you have any ideas about a good location for the EU and New EU wonders?

My suggestion for the civs:
Scandinavia (closely tied together. Strong economic and political ties. Should include: Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and Finland. Could include the Baltic nations as they are very close with the Scandinavian nations).
Greater Germany (mostly tied together by culture, but includes shared interests and economies. Should include Germany and Austria)
Neutrals/independents (should include Benelux, Portugal, Yugoslavia (including former Yugoslavia), Turkey, Ireland, and Eastern Europe)
Mediterraneans (shared cultures, economies, and good relations. Includes: Spain, Italy, Greece)
British (to include the UK).
France (well... France)
Russians (Russia and Belorussia)

Wonders (obsolete if the EU has collapsed):
European Unity (Brussels)
European Union (Brussels)
Economic and Monetary Union (Frankfurt am Main)
Free Trade Area (Brussels)

Where would hte low countries, Belgium Luxembourg and Holland fit in?

Originally posted by insurgent
Neutrals/independents (should include Benelux, Portugal, Yugoslavia (including former Yugoslavia), Turkey, Ireland, and Eastern Europe)

Low countries = Benelux (BElgium, NEtherlands, and LUXembourg: Benelux) :)

Finally deside on the civs.

UK (also includes Greece and Ireland)
Islamic Nations
Spain (includes Portugal)
Germany (includes Italy, Benelux, Austria)
France
CIS
Scandinavia (Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Finland)

Which side should Denmark be included in?
Any ideas for renaming the wonders and city improvements. So far, the Hoover Dam is being changed to the Aswan (sp) Dam in Cairo.

Why include the Islamic nations? They're not part of Europe, and aren't all that close in a political or economic sence.

In addition, lumping them together as one country would mean that you're accepting political and national contridictions which you wouldn't accept in Europe. (ie, there's not a lot of love lost between countires such as Libya and Egypt and Turkey and Syria).

IMO you should just leave that area of the map blank, or populate it with a handfull of barbarian cities for trading purposes.

Originally posted by archer_007
Which side should Denmark be included in?

Denmark is a part of Scandinavia in every way. Everyone always thinks we aren't just because we are attached to Germany.
Denmark has Scandinavian culture, civilisation, language, economy, politics etc.
Really, Scandinavia only includes Norway, Sweden, and Denmark, but Finland and Iceland are recognised as Scandinavian countries too.
We (Denmark) are among the two traditionally dominant peoples of Scandinavia in history: Sweden and Denmark.
When the Scandinavian and Nordic cooperation organisations were founded Denmark was always among the founders.
We are Scandinavians, and much more so than Iceland and Finland in terms of shared culture etc.

Denmark is a part of Scandinavia! :cry: ;) :D

:goodjob: Thanks, insurgent :goodjob:
I was thinking that, but I always feel better as to ask.
Case, I included them because I really don't like to just have emepy space and I really don't like using barbarians. How would you feel if you were someone in Middle East and saw yourslef repredented as a barbarian.:cry:

Thanks for your input.

Any ideas for renaming the wonders or city improvements.
Also any ideas for unique units for each site. I'm probally give each side about 3.

If you want to make Scandinavia a bit bigger, you could include the Faroe Islands too in it.

The Faroyar Islands are a part of Denmark. :goodjob: (Along with Greenland by the way.)

I think the Adam Smith wonder would be good as the Single Market.

I think the Germans should have Leopard II armour. The British should have Challenger II's. France should have LeClerc armour.
And the rest should basically have American tanks and those mentioned above, as they are the tank manufacturers of Europe, and they export the tanks too. And as a little bit of information you migh find useful:
Denmark has four brigades, three of them are part of the Danish Division, the last is a special brigade for peace-keeping operations. All brigades are mechanized infantry brigades (or armoured infantry as they are called Germany and Denmark). Our tanks are Leopards and our aircrafts are primarily F-16's. We use the standard American APC's (don't remember their name).

Let's talk about Sweden.;)

I don't know about the other Scandi countries but Sweden uses Leopard-tanks.

Scandinavia should probably have F-16's since that's what Finland, Norway and Denmark use.

IMO this scen should be a bit like Crises of the new world order, an excellent scenario, only in Europe and more up-to-date.

archer, no offense but I liked insurgent's suggestion for countries better. Having Greece British and Italy German is a bit too strange for me.;)

Units: There could be one standard infantry unit, to be used by the neutrals, Russians, Medi's and Scandinavia. That save's some space so the Russians can have some great fighters, Mig-29 and Su-37(?).

Two kinds of freighters would be nice, the Russians could start out with the caravan (renamed of course) and would have to discover some tech to get freights. Just to show that the Russians start off with a weak economy.

Regarding wonders, here's just off the top of my head:

Royal Navy - UK (Magellan's)
Ruhr industries - Germany, maybe Köln or Bonn (Ricky's crusade) This would go obsolete when somone discovers...let's say "Information industry"
Free immigration - Buildable (Pyramids) This can be built but it costs lots of money every turn.
International harbour - Antwerpen or Rotterdam, can't remember which one is the most important harbour.:crazyeye: (Colossus)
Tourism - Mediterranean countries, Athens or Rome. (Adam Smith's) Something to help their economies.
Russian pragmatism - Moscow (Bach's cathedral) The Russians are tough fellas.:)

Last but not least: The fair city of Stockholm - Stockholm (Shakespeare's theatre) Because nobody's unhappy in Stockholm.;):D

Originally posted by Pavlov
Last but not least: The fair city of Stockholm - Stockholm (Shakespeare's theatre) Because nobody's unhappy in Stockholm.;):D

:lol: No, if some wonder could make people unhappy, it should be "Systembolaget"! :p
(A Swedish institution which is the only place you can buy alcohol." :D

I think Scandinavia should have possibility to research the Swedish fighter jet under way called "Gripen". It'll be a good craft. And perhaps the Swedes' standard fighter should be some other Swedish plane. That would give Scandinavia some special units.
The Russians should be able to develop the Su-37, because I don't think it is in production yet. It should actually even be the best fighter modern fighter. It's been proved to have amazing abilities, even more so than the F-22 Raptor and the JSF.

Since Iceland is used as a military base for the Americans, maybe you could give Iceland some good old American aircraft.

Top Bottom