1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Events for 1939 BTS Mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - World War II 1939 Mod' started by wotan321, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

I know that. I was also thinking the use of Locked Alliances might be helpful. And I assume events can override both?

I don't like that example (if only for lack of realism), but both Always War/Peace and Locked Alliances can be refined using python. At any rate, the final decision is up to the modder in question.

Speaking of which: :goodjob: on those event suggestions, Lone Traveller!

2. Dom Pedro II

Dom Pedro II Modder For Life

Neither events or python can override Always War/Peace. If you turn this option on, it's on for good. That's why using the canDeclareWar python function would be better because it could set different conditions for when a player (AI or not) can declare war on a particular other player. The example I gave was just throwing something out there... maybe Spain would be a better example. If Spain is Fascist, the Allies can declare war. If it switches to Democracy, they can't. Same could apply for the Axis but in reverse.

3. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Fair enough. ;)

4. Dom Pedro II

I thought of something else along the lines of who can declare war on who. I saw a lot of bizarre DoW's in the last game I played as Spain including a number of the small, very spread out civilizations declaring war on each other like the West Balkans and Norway. I mean, here are two countries that have absolutely no reason and no means to go to war with each other.

Which got me thinking... some countries should be able to go to war with each other, but only after someone else has gotten involved. For example, Italy has no reason to declare war on Norway on its own. But if Germany declares war on Norway, then Italy has a reason to follow suit.

Also, there needs to be something to keep the wars going between the main powers... in the game I'm playing now, Germany is only at war with Canada.

5. wotan321

wotan321 Chieftain

That's a good point Dom Pedro II, what causes two warring civs to stop fighting? Some civs should capitulate after one city is fallen, others only when down to the last city. How does the AI decide when to throw in the towel?

6. Dom Pedro II

Well, there's different cases under which the AI is willing to make peace, but two AI players will often make peace when neither has made any progress on conquering the other. This is particularly true if they're far away from each other I find.

The war/peace restrictions could be made so that, rather than preventing peace from being reached under all circumstances, it would require one side or the other to achieve a set of objectives first before they could talk about signing a peace treaty.

One of the problems, however, is that in WWII, it's unlikely that either side would settle for a simple peace treaty. Standard Beyond the Sword already provides us with the mechanics for representing the Germany-France scenario. In this case, the Germans conquer sufficient territory that the existing French government sues for peace and effectively becomes a puppet state or vassal of Germany.

This does not, however, correspond with a lot of the other areas of the war where the Axis powers conquered territory and established puppet governments in the territories they conquered. My Conqueror's Delight modcomp added the ability for players, upon conquering an enemy city, to carve out a new vassal government with all the same civics (if available) as the conqueror in that city. All subsequent cities captured could then be added to that vassal government.

So I would say that neither side would accept peace without a drastic restructuring of the other's government.

7. asioasioasio

asioasioasio Fallout Scrubber

How to do this? I didn't used this option before. :blush:

Yeah it works with just one image. I would need definitly try Mod Helper. Tough I'm right now fighting with compilling RevolutionDCM - it didn't compile both on VS 2003 and Code Blocks - so it seems it's very buggy or I'm dummier in programming than i think I am :). I think I'll try this 'makefile'.

Cool ideas for events DonPedro - it's how the game should work - all those restrictions start war when..... and assign peace when certains objectives are finished. But I don't know Python (and English - well it could be a lot better too :) ). So only your help dear modders could bring cool events to this mod.

Cool ideas - i really would like to see them in scenarios. :)

8. wotan321

wotan321 Chieftain

With the individual teams you set the PermanentWarPeace=<team#>. The same works for permanentwar, two teams are always at war.

Here is a nice thread on the WBS options.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=135669

9. asioasioasio

OK thx. I would use this option right now, before more complex historical events will be added in Python

10. Dom Pedro II

I'm currently working on some python code that should restrict the wardecs and remove all the bizarre little wars that seem to be spreading all over the place on account of Aggressive AI.

Here's the breakdown (remember this only applies to AI players):

USA, Canada, France and Britain can't declare on each other. USA and Canada can't declare on anybody that Britain isn't at war with (unless Britain's been destroyed). Britain can't declare on anybody with the Western Allies religion.

Germany and Italy can't declare war on each other. Spain can't declare on Germany and Italy, but either can declare on Spain.

Italy can only declare war on people Germany is at war with except for West Balkans, East Balkans and Turkey which they can declare war on at any time.

The Soviet Union can declare war on anybody as long as its not at war with Germany at the time. It can declare on Finland at any time.

West Scandinavia, the Low Countries, and Sweden can't declare on anybody, but almost anybody can declare on them.

Finland can only declare on the USSR.

Turkey, West Balkans and East Balkans are free agents and can declare war on anybody except the North American and Scandinavian/Baltic civs because they're just too far away to be relevant.

Some of these choices were for historical accuracy. Others were just to keep the AI from doing something suicidal or completely pointless.

11. makke

makke Chieftain

Thank you for this link :)

12. asioasioasio

Cool Dom Pedro. You're changes will be part of next update!

"The Soviet Union can declare war on anybody as long as its not at war with Germany at the time. It can declare on Finland at any time."
    Poland was at war with Germany at was attacked by Soviet Union

Do you think you could make it with percent of probability (or it'll be to much work)
    For example Soviet Union would every turn check the probability of attack. In first place they'll check if war is possible (they have resources, army, etc... - everything that stops AI from starting war with more powerfull enemy or when already loosing war with someone else)
    If yes - the next thing would be randomly triggering the war probability:
    For:
    Poland - 75%:*
    Finland - 25% *
    Rest countries as you mentioned - not at war with Germany - 2%
    Sweden, Spain - 0,5%
    So they'll start war more likely with enemy that was more historicly correct.

*What do you think about adding additional restriction that Soviet Union won't trigger the war with Poland and Finland in theire first turn - the first turn they might trigger the war will be October 1939 (since the weeks will be changed to months).

Spain also should be free agent and can declare war on anybody except the North American and Scandinavian/Baltic and of course Italy and Germany civs

13. wotan321

wotan321 Chieftain

Those changes Dom Pedro is coding will be a good thing. My hope is to see the 1933 scenario again, and as of 1933 there was the possibility of Germany and Italy fighting over the Austria/Czechoslovakia question. And of course Italy changes sides in the real events.

I am impressed by all the feedback and care you all are putting in tweaking this mod. The changes will be nice. I do worry it gets too big, but I will certainly download and play the mod as it evolves.

14. Dom Pedro II

No, I mean that the Soviet Union cannot declare on anybody if the Soviet Union is at war with Germany. This is just to prevent the USSR from adding more wars than it can handle. The AI sometimes will do suicidal things like that.

Well, these changes only determine if the civilization CAN or CANNOT declare war. Not if it WILL or WILL NOT declare war. I would have to write some AI behavior scripts to control if a civilization will actually declare war. That will be the next step...

Sounds good, although you do know you have the Soviet Union starting out at war with Poland, right? ;)

Yes, Spain is another free agent. I've actually made some additional changes because I do want to leave the possibility open that, if they see the writing on the wall, Spain might declare war on Germany and/or Italy. So I coded it that it can't declare war if the Spanish are running the Axis ideology. If they convert, they will be able to declare war.

Yeah, I might have to make an SDK change because currently there's no way to read in python the game type. This will probably be important since if you take my modified python file and drop it in the python folder, it will apply not only for the current scenario but for all WWII - 1939 mod games.

So I need to limit these DoW restrictions to the 1939 scenario. I might be able to just do this by checking the game's start year. And certainly, it will be necessary to differentiate between a 1933 scenario and a 1939 scenario.

15. Dom Pedro II

Also, I noticed that you said RevolutionDCM is going to be included... will we be able to turn off the different parts of DCM? Because, IMO, opportunity fire and stack combat renders the game unplayable.

16. asioasioasio

I see both options (especially stack combat) unplayable too - It'll be by default turned off. But if i remeber well it can be turned on/off by putting checking mark in the Bug mod's options tab.

Awsome work Dom Pedro II with those settings! The settings of course might be different for different scenario (for example in World scenario the Soviet Union will DoW Japan, when it is still at war with Germany)- so they should be limited to scenarios. And Python is easy to change / add (no recompilling) so I think that even noob like me could expand it to other scenarios if needed.

Could you make not starting date as a Python events trigger. There will be two scenarios starting in 1933 - one in Europe made by wotan and one on world map made by JungleIII. Do you think it might be recognized by scenario name, or by adding aditional line in Worldbuilder scenario header (below for example Mod's Path=), specifing the Diplomacy used - SCENARIO_DIPLOMACY_DEFAULT, SCENARIO_DIPLOMACY_EUROPE_1939,SCENARIO_DIPLOMACY_EUROPE_1933. etc.

EDIT

Cool :)

Awsome :) - Would you make it that in the begining of scenario the player could choose if he want to play without historical events (standard changes - AI civilization CAN or CANNOT declare war) or with historical events (scripts to control if a civilization will actually declare war in the corect place in timeline, but also when certain 'ifs' are fullfilled, plus other historical events, added of course in next steps).

Yeah, but they started war 17th September - I just moved in scenarios Soviet offensive armies to the east and they start with war already.

17. Dom Pedro II

Personally, I would prefer that it be done based on scenario name, but I'm not sure how to retrieve that information within python (or within the SDK for that matter). There's probably a good way to handle this, but it hasn't occurred to me yet.

Yeah, right now, I've also been writing some AI behavior script so that the AI will be more likely to declare war near the real timeline. But it's not exact.

So for example, the Soviet Union might have a 5% chance to declare war on Finland between September 1939 and November 1939. Then it goes to 25% after November. So this way players don't have to have the exact historical events, but the AI will treat their neighbors more or less like they did in reality.

18. asioasioasio

Awsome!!! :)

19. asioasioasio

The non-historical events that can be used after small changes (requirements or short fixes in texts):

Spoiler Events 1-20 :

Code:
    Event1
    	Forest Fire
    	Prereq: Forest in city fat cross
    	Obsolete: None
    	Active/Weight: 70/100
    		Result:
    1.you pay 10 gold
    2.you pay 4 gold and lose 1 forest
    3.you pay nothing, lose one forest and gain 1 angry face (lasts as long as whip anger)

Event4
    	Motherload
    	Prereq: Goldmine with either road OR railroad in your control AND either WRITING or MONOTHEISM or PRIESTHOOD or IRON_WORKING
    	Active/Weight: 90/200
    		Result:
    1.you get 20 &#8211; 40 gold

Event5
    	Washed out
    	Prereq: road OR railroad in your control
    	Active/Weight: 80/100
    		Result:
    1.you lose one road
    2.you pay 20 gold

Event11:
    	Famine
    	Prereq: None
    		Result:
    1.Nothing
    2.your city loses 50% of food storage AND you gain +1 Attitude with one AI
    3.you pay 10 gold AND your city loses 100% of food storage AND you gain +3 Attitude with one AI

Event14:
    	Airliner Crash
    	Prereq: Share borders with other player AND other player has FLIGHT
    	Active/Weight: 70/300
    		Result:
    1.+1 Attitude with other AI
    2.+1000 Espionage points (with the other AI?)
    3.+15-35% of research costs for FLIGHT AND -2 Attitude with other AI

Event18:
    	Fugitive:
    	Prereq: FEUDALISM
    		Result:
    1.+1 Attitude with AI1, chance for 3
    2.+500 Espionage points AI1, chance for 4
    3.-1 Attitude with  AI2
    4.-1 Attitude with AI1

Event19:
    	Pestilence1/Pestilence2
    	Prereq: Tile with pasture/plantation
    	Active/Weight: [55/100]/[100/100]
    		Result:
    1.Tile improvement is destroyed

Spoiler Events 21-40 :
    Code:
    Event21
    	Faux Pas
    		Result:
    1.-1 Attitude with other AI

Event26
    	Tornado
    	Prereq: Plains tile with improvement under your control AND WRITING or MONOTHEISM or PRIESTHOOD or IRON_WORKING
    	Active/Weight: 75/200
    		Result:
    1.Improvement is destroyed

Event27
    	Baby Boom
    	Prereq: You signed a Peace Treaty
    	Active/Weight: 100/500
    		Result:
    1.All cities gain 10 food in storage

Event28
    	Bard's Tale
    	Prereq: MUSIC
    		Result:
    1.City gains 100 culture points
    2.you pay 25 gold AND city gains 450 culture points
    3.IF you have RADIO you pay 10*number of cities in gold and all cities gain 250 culture points

Event29
    	Looters
    	Prereq: at least one angry  in neighboring player's city
    		Result:
    1.one tile improvement is pillaged
    2.you pay 40 gold AND 2 to 4 tile improvements are pillaged
    3.you lose 50 Espionage points (with that player) AND 3 to 5 tile improvements are pillaged AND 2 to all buildings in that city are destroyed AND chance of 4
    4.-2 Attitude with neighboring AI

Event30
    	Brothers in Need
    	Prereq: You and other AI have same state religion AND can trade resources AND you have more then 1 of any of the listed resources AND the other AI lacks this resource: COPPER or IRON or HORSE or IVORY or OIL or URANIUM AND other AI is at war AND you are not at war
    	Active/Weight: 100/1000
    		Result:
    1.Nothing
    2.you gift Copper
    3.you gift Iron
    4.you gift Horse
    5.you gift Ivory
    6.you gift Oil
    7.you gift Uranium

Event31:
    	Hurricane
    	Prereq: WRITING or MONOTHEISM or HORSEBACK_RIDING or IRON_WORKING AND City is coastal AND population is more than 2
    	Active/Weight: 75/100
    		Result:
    1.one cheap (cost less then 100 hammers) and one expensive building are destroyed
    2.city loses 1 population point

Event32
    	Cyclone
    	Prereq: WRITING or MONOTHEISM or HORSEBACK_RIDING or IRON_WORKING AND City is coastal
    		Result:
    1.one cheap (cost less then 100 hammers) and one expensive building are destroyed

Event33
    	Tsunami
    	Prereq: THEOLOGY or LITERATURE or CODE_OF_LAWS or MACHINERY AND City is coastal
    	Active/Weight: 0/0
    		Result:
    1.if city has less then 6 population it is destroyed
    2.else city loses a number of buildings AND loses 5 population

Event34
    	Monsoon
    	Prereq: WRITING or MONOTHEISM or HORSEBACK_RIDING or IRON_WORKING AND City is not coastal AND city has jungle nearby
    	Active/Weight: 85/100
    		Result:

Event35
    	Blizzard
    	Prereq: tundra tile with improvement and road or rail AND  WRITING or MONOTHEISM or HORSEBACK_RIDING or IRON_WORKING
    		Result:
    1.tile improvement and route are destroyed
    2.you pay 5 gold

Event36
    	Volcano
    	Prereq: own a peak tile WRITING or MONOTHEISM or HORSEBACK_RIDING or IRON_WORKING
    		Result:
    1.cottages, hamlets, villages and towns around the peak are destroyed

Event37
    	Dust Bowl
    	Prereq: Own 4 farmed plains tiles AND CIVIL_SERVICE
    		Result:
    1.pay 40 gold lose 1 farm
    2.lose 1 farm chance of looping

Spoiler Events 41-60 :
    Code:

Event42
    	Clunker Coal
    	Prereq: own tile with mine AND coal AND road or railroad
    	Active/Weight: 90/50
    		Result:
    1.tile loses 1 production
    Event43
    	Sour Crude
    	Prereq: own tile with oil AND well or offshore platform
    	Active/Weight: 90/50
    		Result:
    1.tile loses 1 production

Event50
    	Mining Accident
    	Prereq: own mine AND BRONZE_WORKING and THE_WHEEL and MYSTICISM and HUNTING
    		Result:
    1.pay 20 gold
    2.pay 5 gold AND lose the mine
    3.lose the mine AND gain +1 angry face (like whipping anger)

Event51
    	Breakthrough
    	Active/Weight: 80/50
    		Result:
    1.+10% remaining Tech cost towards current tech

Event52
    	Setback
    	Active/Weight: 65/30
    		Result:
    1.you lose 8 percent of research towards a tech

Event54
    	Great Depression
    	Prereq: at least 1 founded corporation somewhere
    	Active/Weight: 40/100
    		Result:
    1.All players lose 25% of their gold

Event55
    	Bermuda Triangle
    	Prereq: 1 DESTROYER or BATTLESHIP or MISSILE_CRUISER or STEALTH_DESTROYER or SUBMARINE or ATTACK_SUBMARINE or CARRIER or TRANSPORT on Ocean plot AND FLIGHT
    	Active/Weight: 50/100
    		Result:
    1.Unit is destroyed

Event58
    	Rural Farmers
    	Prereq: Grocer 
    		Result:
    1.+1 food for the city's Grocer

[/QUOTE]

20. asioasioasio

The non-historical events - part 2

Spoiler Events 61-80 :
    Code:

Event63
    	Motor Oil
    	Prereq: Oil with Well OR Offshore Platform under your control
    		Result:
    1.you get 50 gold
    2.you pay 50 gold AND gain 15 free unit support

Event64
    	Federal Reserve
    	Prereq: Free Market Civic AND at least 1000 gold AND CORPORATION
    		Result:
    1.-10% Inflation
    2.pay 200 gold AND -25% Inflation

Event65
    	Electric Company
    	Prereq: Emancipation Civic AND no angry citizen any city AND ELECTRICITY
    		Result:
    1.+1 happy face in every city

Event67
    	Comet Fragment
    	Prereq: Forest Tundra tile with NO road NO railroad NO improvement under your control AND ROCKETRY
    		Result:
    1.+5% Spaceship production AND +2 Research for every laboratory AND the forest is removed

Event68
    	Subway
    	Prereq: 1 Public Transport AND minimum 25 population in city
    	Active/Weight: 80/400 (* number of Public Transport buildings)
    		Result:
    1.city's Public Transportation gains +5 commerce

Event70
    	Influenza
    	Prereq: minimum 10 population in a city AND era modern or future AND NOT MEDICINE
    	Active/Weight: 45/400
    		Result:
    1.pay 100 gold AND city loses 3 population
    2.city loses 3 population AND a number of nearby cities lose 2 population

Event74
    	Hi Yo Silver
    	Prereq: MINING AND Hill with NO forest NO jungle NO road NO railroad AND NO improvement AND 4 or less happy resources AND tile can have silver resource
    	Active/Weight: 35/200
    		Result:
    1.Tile gains silver resource
    2.you pay 20 gold AND tile gains silver resource AND mine AND road

Event76
    	Independent Films
    	Prereq: MASS_MEDIA AND you do NOT control the Hollywood wonder
    	Active/Weight: 35/100
    		Result:
    1.you get 1 Movie bonus

Event78
    	Modern Olympics
    	Prereq: SCIENTIFIC_METHOD AND Event77 option 2 has occurred
    	Active/Weight: 100/500
    		Result:
    1.+1 Attitude with all AIs you have met

Event79
    	Interstate
    	Prereq: Universal Suffrage civic AND INDUSTRIALISM or RADIO AND Emancipation civic
    	Active/Weight: 100/100
    		Result:
    1.all units travel faster on roads (I am not sure what &#8220;RouteChange = -5&#8221; does though)

Event87
    	Rifled Cannon
    	Prereq: RIFLING and STEEL
    	Obsolete: RADIO or REFRIGERATION or PLASTICS or SATELLITES or ADVANCED_FLIGHT or ECOLOGY
    		Result:
    1.All Cannon units gain the Combat 1 promotion

Event88
    	Metal Decks
    	Prereq: FLIGHT and INDUSTRIALISM
    	Obsolete: COMPOSITES
    		Result:
    1.All Carrier units gain the Drill 3 promotion

Event89
    	Long Range Fighters
    	Prereq: FLIGHT
    	Obsolete: COMPOSITES
    	Active/Weight: 20/200
    		Result:
    1.All Fighter units gain the Range 1 promotion

Event92
    	Cigarette Smoker
    	Prereq: DRAMA AND city with Theater
    	Active/Weight: 80/200
    		Result:
    1.you lose 30 gold
    2.you lose 10 gold AND the Theater is destroyed
    3.the Theater is destroyed AND the city gains +1 angry face (like whipped)

Event93
    	Heroic Gesture
    	Prereq: You are at war and winning
    	Active/Weight: 80/350
    		Result:
    1.Nothing
    2.You make Peace AND gain +1 Attitude with the opponent

Event94
    	Great Mediator
    	Prereq: You are at war for 10 or more turns
    	Active/Weight: 85/200
    		Result:
    1.Nothing
    2.You make Peace AND gain +1 Attitude with the opponent

Event98
    	Impact Crater
    	Prereq: Tile with Jungle or Forest AND PHYSICS AND NO Uranium resource
    	Active/Weight: 20/200
    		Result:
    1.Nothing
    2.You pay 500 gold AND the tile gains Uranium AND road AND mine

Spoiler Events 101-120 :
    Code:

Event106
    	Literacy
    	Prereq: NATIONALISM or PRINTING_PRESS or EDUCATION or GUNPOWDER or ASTRONOMY AND all cities have a library
    	Active/Weight: 30/100
    		Result:
    1.1 city gains a free settled great scientist

Event114
    	Hamburger Joint
    	Prereq: RADIO AND tile with pastured Cows resource AND road or railroad
    	Active/Weight: 90/100
    		Result:
    1.you gain 240 to 330 gold

Event116
    	Fashion
    	Prereq: RADIO AND City with Factory AND tile with silk AND plantation AND road OR railroad
    		Result:
    1.you gain 180 to 260 gold

Event118
    	Girls Best Friend
    	Prereq: City with Forge AND tile with gems resource AND mine AND road OR railroad
    		Result:
    1.you gain 120 to 180 gold