Eventual trade route change

HUh? An internal route that gives +8f/+8p out and +4f/+4p in is totally possible. That's +12 each, total. Perhaps I wasn't clear.

Sorry! My bad. Yes, net is possible, but still probably not for *all* trade routes.

I've seen +12 going one way or the other, actually, but only late game and for sea routes.

1. Each city can have:
a. One trade route to an internal city or colony
b. One trade route to a station
c. One trade route to another civ
2. Trade route to internal city only provides food/production to a city with smaller output. No benefit back to the original city.
3. Trade routes to other players are limited on a faction level. E.g. No more than 3 cities can trade with another civ.
4. The faction that has a bonus trade route gets only 1, but it can be used for any purpose.

The idea with #2 is that trade routes can be used to accelerate a new city later in the game. Although it can also be used to help prop up a less than ideally located city.

So, we've been all been playing for a couple weeks now, and we all know about the balance issues of the game, which Firaxis are reportedly fixing some of. One thing that I can can be easily fixed is Trade Routes. Here are my ideas:

International:

These are fine. The yields are comparable to what they were in CiV. One suggestion might be to let +% Intrigue gain or +% Operation success, either one way or both ways. Give a little more strategic basis for TR choice.

Station:

These are currently useless. +3 Food and +4 Culture really can't compete when International and Domestic TRs routinely get into double digits for all yields over sea. Stations need to have more tiers, ending up with higher yields, and they need to either a) Focus on a single, massive yield (+lots of Food, for example), or focus on Culture, which no other TRs can provide, or give other bonuses. Free tech was a bit too silly, but there's nothing wrong with getting a free unit or maybe some Affinity XP trickle. The important thing is to distinguish these from International and Domestic TRs, so that we actually have a reason to want to keep Stations around, and not just let them die so we can place cities.

Domestic:

These are the big offenders. They give far too much yield, they are too spammable, and yet there is zero transparency to them - why does on TR yield only food, and another only production? There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason. To this end, I propose these changes:

1) Direction of TR does not matter, and does not change yields.

2) Domestic TRs grant 3 Food and Production for every 4 pop in the "outgoing" city. (i.e., a TR between a 6 pop and an 18 pop would have 12 F/P going to the 6, and 3 F/P going to the 18, regardless of base city of TR)

3) Sea routes get multiplied by 1.5.

This way, spamming small cities and sending TRs back to your capital won't actually do anything until they've grown to at least 4 pop, removing that "cheat." There can be balancing in terms of final numbers, but I think a move in this direction would be a good start.

These are the big offenders. They give far too much yield, they are too spammable, and yet there is zero transparency to them - why does on TR yield only food, and another only production? There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason.

Actually there is. Power of route is based on difference between "base" food/hammer outputs of the cities.

Idea is that if two cities are of the same power, that internal trade route would be useless.

Unfortunately, due to direction of trade route always favoring sender, instead route being equalizer tools (to make less powerful cities more powerful), they can also be the opposite (send everything to most productive city to get even bigger difference over time).

Actually there is. Power of route is based on difference between "base" food/hammer outputs of the cities.

Idea is that if two cities are of the same power, that internal trade route would be useless.

Unfortunately, due to direction of trade route always favoring sender, instead route being equalizer tools (to make less powerful cities more powerful), they can also be the opposite (send everything to most productive city to get even bigger difference over time).

His point is that the game doesn't let you know...
Poor transparency is a major problem throughout the civ series (usually worst at initial release)

Top Bottom