Expanded unit_32.pcx file?

Nanuk

Warlord
I've been searching both the downloads section and creation customization to find an expanded unit_32.pcx file and I can't seem to find any. People keep mentioning Zulu's file, but browsing his profile led to no results.

Also, would I just be able to expanded the .pcx file myself using GIMP? Is it just enlarging the file and copy-pasting more grids or is it not that simple?

And finally, are there any side-effects from expanding the .pcx file beyond the Conquests limit? I'm running the Complete Steam edition. Would going beyond the Conquests limit have any crashes/lags when building units, etc...? I plan to keep my complete unit list below 500, but need about 20-40 more units than what Conquests unit_32.pcx caps at.

Ya you can simply expand it downward copying and pasting. As far as total number I know I have close to 900 unique units in one scenario and Ares has over a 1000 with no issues. He just has to use the non-civ editor above a 1000.

Ya you can simply expand it downward copying and pasting. As far as total number I know I have close to 900 unique units in one scenario and Ares has over a 1000 with no issues. He just has to use the non-civ editor above a 1000.

That's great to hear. I downloaded an expanded editor from here to try it out, but I'll be keeping my units down to about 300-400. Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to come back if anything arises.

An off-topic question - but is there a rule regarding uploading compilation mods? I've downloaded several hundred units and have lost track of some of the content authors. I was thinking when I upload my scenario I could list the ones I know I have units from and then mention that if I forgot anyone they could let me know so I can update the info.

@Solborn Here's a blank unit32.pcx template I use with room for more than 2000 units. It has all the C3C icons at the top and every 5th row is numbered in order to better keep track of the icon #'s.

Thank you, Laurana. How did you manage to increase the size of the template without warping the grids? What exactly does the game use to identify what is the grid - is it pre-defined measurements? I was trying to expand the pcx file to have more grids myself, but just ended up with warped grids. Not that it matters anymore, as I'll use your pcx file - so thank you for that. I was just curious.

Yes, it is a defined measurement of 32x32 (Not including borders) that the game looks at. There are several methods you could use to expand the C3C units.pcx. The easiest way would probably be to select/copy several of the blank rows at the bottom of the file. Then increase the canvas by the same dimensions and paste the blank rows onto the expanded canvas section. You could then just repeat the process until you get the number of rows you want.

Last edited:
I have about 3000))). I have never tried to load it though))), but edited and added more stuff with generic editor without problems.

I have around 3000 as well. You can use this one as a draft.

Attachments

• units_32.pcx
    1.7 MB · Views: 107
Huh, I had never really counted how many slots were in my blank units32.pcx that I had posted above as I've never had more than 2000 unique units, but there are slots for 3,346, although I only had numbered the rows up to 2212. I think I was way more ambitious in the past! :crazyeye:

However, Civ VI has brought me around to the idea that "more" is not necessarily better, it's just more...:hammer2:

An off-topic question - but is there a rule regarding uploading compilation mods? I've downloaded several hundred units and have lost track of some of the content authors. I was thinking when I upload my scenario I could list the ones I know I have units from and then mention that if I forgot anyone they could let me know so I can update the info.

Speaking for myself I am happy when people remember to give thanks but most people on the boards understand that problem. We have all forgotten where we got things. Best to just add a note thanking everyone and list the names you know and include an option for makers to contact you to add names.

What number does it go by

Any number. If you want it nice and even, you'll have to do the math unless you just straight up double it or more.

Or you can just do what I did. I used rectangle select tool to select exactly how many extra grids I wanted, and then copy-pasted. Just use the grids as a guide and you'll be fine.

What number does it go by
As I stated in post #6 above, each "square" in the grid is 32x32 pixels with a 1 pixel border. So for every additional row you'll need to add 33 pixels to the canvas (the top border of the new row will be the bottom border of the last row added.) and then copy+paste the new row onto the expanded canvas. Honestly, though I'd just d/l the file I attached in post #4 and call it a day.

Top Bottom