1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Expanding Civ3: a Theov Mod

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Theov, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Callumvirgilio

Callumvirgilio Chieftain

hi there might sound a bit dump but I cant seem to open the application.
    when I download it from the drop box it seems to try and open up via internet explorer?
    not like a normal file?
    thanks cal

2. Theov

Theov Deity

It's a .rar file.
    Did you try to un-rar it?
    You will need a freely available unzip/unrar program.

3. Node60

Node60 Warlord

Callumvirgilio

From free programs it is possible to use 7-zip. This program is able to unpack rar-archives.

4. Callumvirgilio

Callumvirgilio Chieftain

hi does this mean i have to download another program to be able to un -rar it?
    sorry a bit slow on computers

5. Callumvirgilio

Callumvirgilio Chieftain

sorry for being a pain but i have un rar it now and transferred the files across but when i tried to play it said missing file or something in this bit ''PediaIcons'' any ideas?

6. Theov

Theov Deity

I'm sorry it doesn't work right away for you...
    It works. Don't worry, I check all files before uploading so it works.

What you should do is unrar the file, but then transfer the Theo .biq file to the conquest folder. Don't leave it in the Theov folder.

To be sure, I've uploaded the latest version to the dropbox.
    It has the Time Machine, Gov Small Wonders and I added seals and crocodiles as a bonus resource too :)

7. Callumvirgilio

Callumvirgilio Chieftain

I put the whole folder in conquests then I put the theov.biq into the next conquest folder.
    should I be putting each folder into the exisiting folder to replace them?
    thanks

8. Callumvirgilio

Callumvirgilio Chieftain

got it working now is this mod only for the one map? or can I apply it to every scenario and map on thr game?

9. Theov

Theov Deity

If you start the mod from the civ-content, you can choose whatever map settings, size, barbarians and opponents you like, just like a normal game.
    Austria is the new civ.
    Beware of the Mongols - they are and behave like barbarians and barbarians are stronger in this mod. :)

14Jan updates will follow later (footknight/Crusading order, Stonehenge)

10. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

I like the new graphics for the Goody Huts and Barbarian Camps, and the dedicated Barbarian units. I have made the Barbarians a bit stronger on top of what you did, giving them 5 additional hit points and raising them to the equivalent of a Veteran for the game. That also keeps them relevant for longer in the game.

I will make up a longer list of comments, and should I post that here or send them to you via private message?

11. Theov

Theov Deity

Government specific Small Wonders are finally finished!

1: Despotism: Hillfort double barbarian bonus and 100% defense bonus for the city.
    2: Republic: Circus Maximus, +2 in city, +1 in every city on continent.
    3: Monarchy: Tax office, +5% added to the Treasury - cumulative with Wall Street, +50% tax in city
    4: Feudalism: Crusading Order. Builds a Footknight every 5 turns and lowers WW.
    5: Fascism: Party Rallies - adds a palace, produces a smoke mortar every 5 turns.
    6: Communism: Secret Police HQ
    7: Democracy: National Health Care - +2 :) in all cities.
    8: Libertarianism: Statue of Liberty - Modern Colossus, allows to grow beyond 12, reduces WW.
    9: Theocracy: Holy City - treasury earns 5%, +1 :) in all cities.

Added some better Era Splashes.
    Tweaked the shield cost of some units.

Now I want to add some dinosaurs and other units that come available with genetic engineering.

12. Ozymandias

Ozymandias I saw the Great Library burn.

A thought on Feudalism, which is thoroughly mis-modeled in C3C.

European (and AFAIK Japanese) Feudalism refers to a socio-politico-economic system in which:

• There is no monetary economy (gold coins and whatnot were hoarded by kings, and essentially only utilized for "payments" at that level.)
    • "Knights" = Productive (elite leadership aside from Crown officials and Clergy) essentially removed from otherwise productive roles while being all-but-dedicated to military training and service - In short, I'd recommend a 1 Pop cost per Knight etc.
    • Ditto "feudal levies" ("fyrds" and whatnot) - the bottommost and critically productive (we are speaking of an essentially, purely agrarian economy = 1 Pop.
    • Personally, I would also prohibit any improvement allowing City Growth to Size 3 (as late as 1620 CE, less than 2% of Europe's population lived in "cities" with a population > 20,000 - Demography: The Science of Population, b Jay Weinstein & Vijayan K. Pillai)

Cheers,
    Oz

13. Theov

Theov Deity

In this latest installment, I am proud to have made a victory movie that comes with building the Time Machine.
    Also, weird creatures appear at the end of the tech tree.
    Minor other changes were made.

14. Theov

Theov Deity

Not much has changed since that last installment and I got great feedback! Many people loved this mod.
    I can imagine people have ideas or requests, like I received during the creation of this mod.
    So if you have any idea to add to this mod, let me know. It's a continuous process of making this better.

15. bagxri

bagxri Chieftain

nice work man.
    the only idea that would be great in your mod is to eliminate pollution and change it with unhappiness.

keep up the good work

16. Theov

Theov Deity

Polution is a part of the game that requires to be managed. I would eliminate choices for research (will I invent Ecology) or the choices in power plants etc.

Also, global warming is a dynamic of the game that changes landscapes.
    By the way, Tundras turn into grasslands in my mod. (unchanged in the original game)

What I did, was add a wind farm as a natural power source which can be added to the solar plant.
    Since the solar plant replaces any other power plant, this makes natural energy a better option.

I also lowered the worker turns to clear damage from 24 to 16 (67%) because I thought 24 was a bit long and with the blacksmith, pollution happens earlier.

The update will happen somewhere in the weekend I think.

17. bagxri

bagxri Chieftain

nice to hear, wait for new version!!!!!!!!!

18. Theov

Theov Deity

Latest updates on 19-Jul-2016

The Vikings are now the Vikings (not Scandinavia)
    Cleaning Pollution is 16 instead of 24 turns.
    - Port. Add-on to the harbor. Allows the city size level 2. 60 shields. Ship Building.
    - Windmill. +25% production, 80 shields. Currency.
    - Wind Park. +50%. 260 shields. Add-on to the Solar Plant. Recycling.

19. bagxri

bagxri Chieftain

good work, when you are gone to upload it???

20. Theov

Theov Deity

Please try the link in the original post.
    If it doesn't work, please let me know.