Expansion and DLC Wishlists

TheSpaceCowboy

The Gangster of Love
With three eras already fully announced, which cultures that have been excluded from the base game do you want to see appear in the first expansion or as downloadable content?

For me, first and foremost would be a Levant line that explicitly has a religious focus (contra aesthetes, merchants, militarists, etc). I’m thinking…

Ancient Era: Hebrews
  • Emblematic Unit: Judge
  • Emblematic Quarter: Tabernacle
Classical Era: Judea
  • Emblematic Unit: Maccabee
  • Emblematic Quarter: Temple
Medieval Era: Outremer
  • Emblematic Unit: Crusader or Templar
  • Emblematic Quarter: Sepulchre
Not sure who to go with for Early Modern or Industrial Era

Modern: Israel
  • Emblematic Unit: Mossad agent
  • Emblematic Quarter: Synagogue

I’d also like to see an Amerindian line…

Ancient Era: Clovis?

Medieval Era: Mississippian
  • Emblematic Quarter: Cahokia Mound
Early Modern Era: Iroquois
  • Emblematic Unit: Mohawk
  • Emblematic Quarter: Longhouse
Industrial Era: Sioux
  • Emblematic Unit: Raider
  • Emblematic Quarter: Teepee
It wouldn't really be possible to do a Modern Era Amerindian culture, though perhaps the line could end in an alternate American culture (a la Civ VI's alternate leaders) or even Canada.

There's probably more cultures I want than I can reasonably name or expect to actually show up, but some highlights off the top of my head:

Ancient Era: Elamites, Mitanni, Minoans, Etruscans, Chavin
Classical Era: Sabaeans, Scythians, Palmyrans, Parthians/Arsacids, Armenians, Seleucids, Ptolemies, Han, Gupta, Tiwanaku
Medieval Era: Benin, Mamluks, Abbasids, Sasanids, Timurids, Delhi, Chola, Tibetans/Tufan, Majapahit, Dai Viet, Tang/Song, Goryeo, Heian, Inca, Mississippians, Anasazi/Puebloans...

Yeah, there are so many options for medieval, and it's inevitable that a lot of great ones will be left out. Won't bother with the remaining eras, since they remain to be seen and I'm not as invested in them anyway.

Ancient Era: Shang, Merchant
  • Emblematic Unit: Imperial Army (Composed of nobility, led by king, they are stronger within X tiles from capital, only trainable in capital)
  • Emblematic Quarter: Oracle Altar (Generate Faith, additional Food for adjacent farm, Influence for adjacent trader's quarter)
Classical Era: Han, Expansionist
  • Emblematic Unit: Qibing (Horseman, Han is famous in defeating the Huns and expelled them to Eastern Europe)
  • Emblematic Quarter: Li (walled villages where farmers live, can boost food production and stability)
Medieval Era: Tang, Merchant
  • Emblematic Unit: Zhong Qibing (Heavy calvary, equipped with bows and shields)
  • Emblematic Quarter: Fanzhen (Military autonomous county, Act as defense quarter, while boosting unit production)
Medieval Era: Bod(Tibetan Empire), Aesthete
  • Emblematic Unit: Monk Warrior
  • Emblematic Quarter: Qokang (A Tibetan temple, religious quarter)
Early Modern Era: Song, Scientist
  • Emblematic Unit: Huochong (Musketman)
  • Emblematic Quarter: Shuyuan (Private schools, boost culture(influence) and science)
Industrial Era: Republic of China, Merchant
  • Emblematic Unit: Huangpu Army (lower cost and better defensive perks)
  • Emblematic Quarter: Zujie (Concessions, grant extra trade route and money income)

Last edited:
I'm not sure why we're talking about Early Modern and beyond when we don't know for sure yet if any of those will make it in the base game?

I have a good feeling the Iroquois might be in the base game. I think a Mohawk Emblematic Unit was spotted already.

Early Modern Era: Switzerland, Merchant
  • Emblematic Unit: Swiss Guards
  • Emblematic Quarter: Watch Workshop

An expansion named Migration Period.

Introduces a new era, Early Medieval (roughly fitting 250 - 950 AD IRL).
I have written a lot about the numerous reasons, benefits and cool opportunities of adding such era in a separate thread. Basically
1) Historians clearly separate Late Antiquity (and late Rome) from Classical Anitquity, as well as Early Medieval from High & Late Medieval, so we do have powerful historical reasons for a new era.
2) A jump from iron age warriors to knights has always been bad. Better would be like: hoplites, slingers and horsemen -> late Roman legions, archers and cataphracts -> men at arms, crossbowmen and knights
3) That era would be an excellent reason to introduce mechanics mentioned below.
4) That era is cool.
5) There is an enormous amount of possible medieval cultures when compared with any other era. It would be quite beneficial to split these between two eras. Current medieval era feels as if it was missing half of crucial cultures - due to cramming too much global diversity over too many centuries in one era.

Besides the new era, the game introduces
- Mechanisms and events for mass migrations of peoples.
- Climate events and random periodic climate fluctuations (-1 to yield X on terrain Y in Z era), turning into global warming in the modern era.
- Nomads: new and special minor faction type, no dwelling in one place but migrating and causing problems, and very hard to completely destroy before gunpowder era.
- A Horde global events which spawn great nomadic conquerors from the steppes. They have unique abilities and powerful armies.
- Similarly, an option for some major factions to be nomadic peoples. Lives from land, buildings and pops are "attached" to armies, relies on horses or camels, may only really function on large open areas, and may not research many technologies, including all above medieval era. Still a fun if niche alternative for early eras.
- Cultures can now go through "dark ages" which incur certain severe consequences BUT their upside is... No not in some stupid bonus out of nowhere: the benefit is the possibility to 'respec' policies (or however this cultural progress is caused), which represents a culture which survives but changes profoundly.
- New abilities and challenges for religion system. New religions: Manichaeism, Arianism, Gnosticism.

The expansion includes three scenarios: Fall of Rome, Rise of Islam, Age of Charlemagne.

The expansion changes existing cultures:
- Rome, Greece, Persia, Celts, Carthage, Maya, Maurya go to Classical. Persia renamed to Achaemenids.
- Byzantium, Huns, Axum, Goths, Franks, Norse, Umayyads go to Early Medieval. Byz changed to Aestethe. Umayyads changed to Expansionist.
- England, Aztec, Mongols, Ghana, Khmer, Teutons do remain in the medieval, however.
- New civilizations for the Classical Age: Nok (Aestethe), Han (Scientist), Scythians (Militarist)
- New cultures for the Early Medieval Age: Srivijaya (Builder), Silla (Agrarian), Sasanians (Merchant).
- New cultures for the Medieval Age: Abbasids (Scientist), Seljuks (Expansionist), Kievan Rus (Builder), Song (Scientist).

So you even have a 10 new cultures, a perfect rule per an expansion, and a balanced set od affinities :)

@Catoninetales_Amplitude you know, for an inspiration, if you somehow got more money than ideas (its impossible in gamedev industry, I know) ;)

By the way, I have accidentally realized that it will be interesting how Amplitude gives themes to expansions. The traditional Civ approach was a vague theme and then cramming a lot of different things under it. One more way to make HK unique and not top direct competitor would be cycling through different eras instead. One enriches medieval, another industrial etc. Although I don't think any more eras are needed besides Early Medieval, only one expansion would do a delicate maneuver like that.

Last edited:
I know we will have customization in terms of our leader, but I'd definitely like a Palace/Throne room at some point.

dustrial Era: Republic of China, Merchant
  • Emblematic Unit: Huangpu Army (lower cost and better defensive perks)
  • Emblematic Quarter: Zujie (Concessions, grant extra trade route and money income)

Yes!!! We absolutely need a Republic of China culture at some point!

But in all seriousness, a Late Antique period DLC would be awesome with a moving around of the cultures similar to what Krazjen picked. If not that, at least these cultures should be added to each era. I'm only going to list for the 1st three eras, because that's all we're certain of:

Ancient: Caral, Minoan, Israelite, Elamite, Lapita
Classical: Goguryeo, Han, Armenian, Nok, Nazca
Medieval: Tang, Majapahit, Abassid, Mississippian, Inca (If they are in the EM, however, I'd go with Tiwanaku.)

I'm also on the same boat...A new Era is perfect dlc/expansion material.

Not much point in thinking how to add more cultures if the game doesn't make more room for them, and honestly, the only overly packed era is that gap between Classical and Medieval. Late antiquity/early middle ages/migration period/ortodoxy however you like to call it.

it releases some pressure on Europe and the middle east, and makes the timeline clearer for other parts of the world that didn't knew Rome existed.

and THEN we can start adding cultures like crazy.

I feel greedy and ungrateful making a DLC wishlist at this stage of development, but I'm going to do it anyway!

Ancient Era:
  • Caral - Agrarian
    Emblematic Unit - War Canoe or Fisher
    Emblematic Quarter - Shicra Pyramid
  • Minoans - Aesthete
    Emblematic Unit - Axeman
    Emblematic Quarter - Anaktora
  • Scythians - Militarist
    Emblematic Unit - Skulatai
    Emblematic Quarter - Kurgan
  • Sumerians - Builder
    Emblematic Unit - War Wagon
    Emblematic Quarter - Ziggurat
Classical Era:
  • Han - Scientist
    Emblematic Unit - Chu-Ko-Nu
    Emblematic Quarter - Watchtower
  • Nazca - Agrarian
    Emblematic Unit - Headhunter
    Emblematic Quarter - Puquios
  • Nabateans - Builder
    Emblematic Unit - Camel Cavalry
    Emblematic Quarter - Rock-Cut Tomb
  • Silla - Aesthete
    Emblematic Unit - Hwarang
    Emblematic Quarter - Cheomseongdae
Medieval Era:
  • Majapahit - Aesthete
    Emblematic Unit - Djong
    Emblematic Quarter - Candi
  • Mississippians - Agrarian
    Emblematic Unit - Falcon Dancer
    Emblematic Quarter - Platform Mound
  • Puebloans - Builder
    Emblematic Unit - Runner
    Emblematic Quarter - Kiva
  • Tonga - Aesthete
    Emblematic Unit - Tongiaki
    Emblematic Quarter - Mala'e

My very particular wish is to see Mexico in, It's never going to be in civ because of the "it overlaps with the Aztecs" thing (with Colombia added, there's really no other excuse), but in Humankind that is not a problem, at all, besides historically ti plays perfect with the concept of mixing and matching cultures.

We talked about nomads a lot before they revealed the Huns and Mongols, but I really wish that they flesh out nomad mecanics as to be an alternate path to sedentary cultures, it could also open very cool options, like cultures that can only be chosen if you go from nomad to sedentary, for example Magyars.

I would put majapahit in early modern, personally. 1350-1500 is pretty late for medieval, plus they were very much a gunpowder empire. I would love to see srivijaya in a medieval slot tho.

I make no bones about seeming ungrateful about the cultures that have been announced so far; I think the paucity if non-European cultures in pre-modern eras has me downgrading this game from full price on-release to on sale a year later, depending on their post-release development. I have no doubt Amplitude will support the game after release, as they have with any of their endless games, but the lineup and features has got me feeling pretty cold.

I’ll post a wish list for 5 cultures in the first 3 eras after I’ve thought about it a bit more.

Last edited:
I'm more interested in mechanics than Civs for expansions, so I guess I won't be able to have any wishlist until I see what mechanics are in the game :p

But I'll just throw some from the little I saw to be missing or might not even be in the game:

- Great People/Heroes.
- Minor Terraforming/infrastructure projects (gaining land from water, tunnels, canals).
- Corporations.

Top Bottom