Expansion Civilizations

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to be reasonable when choosing a list of Civilizations you think should go onto the game. There are, already, a nice selection to choose from, so we can't expect too many more to be added to the game in future expansions.
I agree, however, that there should be more Civilizations! Even just a few more would be great!

I have a list of my own chosen Civilizations that I'd like to see in the game:
Ottoman
Vikings - Very popular choice!
Ethiopians
Celts - My personal favorit!
Chaldeans (Babylonians)
Asserians
Carthaginians
Khmer
Koreans
Isrealites

Out of those I would really like to see the Ottoman, Vikings, Ethiopians, and, of course the Celts! I also would like to see a northern Native American tribe, the Iroquois were in Civ 3, so that would probably be the one we would end up with.

I saw that some of you would like to see the Australia Aboriginals as one of the teams. I like Aboriginal people, they make me feel part of the family when I meet up with them (I even play a didgeridoo!), still, this isn't a Civilization that I'd expect to ever see on the game...I'll explain why:
The Aboriginals have lived in Australia for a very long time (different people believe different amounts of time.), at least a few thousand years, and all this time they havn't advanced far in technology. The reasons: For one thing they are nomadic, throughout history, all over the world people who were/are nomads seem to halt in technology development, or at least slow down. The Australian environment makes it difficult for farming so they were coping best by being nomads. Also, the Aboriginal people were fairly peaceful, they may of had a few short battles here and there, but no wars, no major enemies to compete against - well, before the European settlers that is - and therefore they didn't need to advance far with warfare (I'm not saying this was a bad thing! Outside of computer games I am completely against war!). One of the reasons why the English became so powerful so quickly was because they had competition with other groups, and had to advace quickly or fall behind.

Greywulf
Most of those civs have already been included in the Warlords and Beyond the Sword expansion packs; specificly tje Ottomans, Vikings, Ethiopians, Celts, Carthaginians, Khmern and the Koreans. Buy Beyond the Sword at least, it is really great.
Oh, and WELCOME TO CFC! [party] :band:

I just found out about Warlords about a day after I posted that post! :p
Thanx for telling me about "Beyond the Sword"! I didn't know of that one at all! (Sorry for living under a rock lol)
I am so glad they added the Celts!!! They have always been my absalute fav! And each of the other Civilizations were must haves! - I like having Carthaginians as enemies lol -

I'll have a look at Beyond the Sword now...

and the babylonians are also in BTS!;)

If that's what you meant by chaeldeans....

Beyond the Sword is incredible! I looked it up and now I am trying to find where I can buy both expansions!

Yes, Babylonians are what I meant - Babylonians is the name of the people that lived inside the city of Babylon only, they had towns and villages around their province too, such as Ur, and these people were all called the Chaldeans (Pronounced Kel-de-ans), so I thought it would be a more appropriate name for the civilization, still, I’d say a lot more people would call them “Babylonians” because that name is more well known, so I understand why this name was chosen!

The Sumerians are one of the Civilizations too, which is somewhat confusing because the Sumerians are basically the same people as the Babylonians, I think the Assyrians would have been a much better choice, partly because they were at war with Babylon for some time, and they were also involved with other Civilizations of their time, such as Egypt and Israel. An even more annoying thing is that you can choose to play as Romans, Holy Romans, or Byzantines – honestly, I wonder what I’d choose? - I don’t mind the Byzantines and the Romans, but adding the Holy Romans? I mean, sure, the Papal States had their own military and flag, but can we really class them as a Civilization? For one thing they didn’t start in Ancient times like most of the other Civilizations, and for another thing they were Italians, just like the Romans!

Apart from those two small annoyances I really think that it is one of the very best games ever made!

but the sumerians came before them all....

The holy Roman was a different country I think....

I LOVE BTS!!!!!!!!! I'm happy that you're gonna get it! BEST EXPANSION EVER!!!!!!:D :D

Yes, the Sumerians were earlier, but they still were the ansestors of the Babylonians. It isn't a big deal for me, I was mostly just pointing it out.

The Holy Romans do kinda have their own country, millitary, flag...Yet I still don't think they should be one of the Civilizations that a player can choose. They did have a lot of power, what they said happened, but I just find it annoying that they class them as a seperate Civilization to the Roman Empire.

I can't wait to get the expasions! They will make a great game even better!!!

Please do not confuse the Holy Roman Empire with the Roman Empire.

The Holy Roman Empire did claim to succeed the Western Roman Empire (500 years after the downfall of the same) but was not identical.

The Holy Roman Empire comprised of a huge part of Modern Western, Central and Eastern Europe.

In its peak the HRE was spreaded over a territory that hosts todays Netherland, Switzerland, Austria, Belgia, Luxemburg, Germany, Chechia, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Northern Italy and West Poland.

Nevertheless the HRE is not a predecessor of Germany, but Germany is just the largest single state that was formed after the abandonement of the HRE in 1870. During the time of the HRE there was no Germany, but Modern Germany is a Federation of the HRE States Saxony, Prussia, Bavaria, Thuringia and around 50 other smaller and medium-sized states.

Why is the name then HRE ?

Simply. The Ruler of the HRE wanted to distinguish himself from his neighbours who were mere kings. So he claimed the title of Western Roman Emperor that was vacant since the collapse of the Western Roman Empire.

(Eastern Rome (Byzanz) still had its Emperor).

This titles encompasses the spiritual and physical rulership over the subjects and therefore can only be given by the Pope, who was originally not the spiritual ruler, but the Earthly Avatar of God by definition. (This interpretation changed only during the later MidAge)

He succeeded and Otto II. became first emperor of the Holy Roman Empire in the 11th century. This title was then handed to number of different dynasties until it finally got abandoned only in the 19th century.

Naturally the Modern ideas of Nationalism were opposite to the idea of spiritual unity of the HRE therefore the HRE got simply outdated. Moreover as it was merely a institution for the last several hundreds years of its existence. The power had already been shifted to the member states long before the Emperor lost his title.

Nevertheless we should not underestimate the importance of the HRE. The HRE carried the idea of a European identy united by Christian faith through centuries of troublesome times and this idea is still quite alive in the Modern European Union. Moreover as the HRE was a state of many people and never restricted to only one nation. So to say the HRE provided an identity beyond your own tribe (nation) and united and civilized a number of tribes especially of Germanic origin who were extremely hostile to each other beforehand.

yeah, the HRE was quite important to central Europe in the Middle ages..

yeah, the HRE was quite important to central Europe in the Middle ages..

I didn't know that the Holy Roman Empire helped to make the Germanic tribes into one Germany. Thank you for that insite!

I agree that they did have an important roll in Europe during the middle ages. I supose it's ok to have them as a Civilization, it's just a little hard for me to get used to. I've never seen them as a playable Civilization in any other game, but I'll get used to it! Besides, as far as I'm concerned, the more Civilizations the choose from the marrier the people who pay it...who knows, there might be someone who sees the Holy Roman Empire as perfect for them to play as?

What unique unit does the Holy Roman Empire get, and what Leader(s) do they get?

they get Charlamagne as leader and the Landsknecht as the UU and the Rathaus as UB

I didn't know that the Holy Roman Empire helped to make the Germanic tribes into one Germany. Thank you for that insite!

I agree that they did have an important roll in Europe during the middle ages. I supose it's ok to have them as a Civilization, it's just a little hard for me to get used to. I've never seen them as a playable Civilization in any other game, but I'll get used to it! Besides, as far as I'm concerned, the more Civilizations the choose from the marrier the people who pay it...who knows, there might be someone who sees the Holy Roman Empire as perfect for them to play as?

What unique unit does the Holy Roman Empire get, and what Leader(s) do they get?

you can play the HRE in Medieval Total War 2-

I love that game! but my mom banned me from playing it for half a year..... I'm currently on month two!! of six!

I love that game! but my mom banned me from playing it for half a year..... I'm currently on month two!! of six!

Your grades must have really sucked, Dude. Use the time constructively, read books and chase girls.

...Why did your mum ban you for half a year?

I'll try... But really, I'm getting mostly A's (mostly) and I read books and I've had girls I liked...

I think my only mistake was staying up till 2 am trying to conquer russia. that might have had something to do with it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom