Experiment 626's Solo TDG

Well, I survived the weekend at work (I think). :crazyeye:

My last post was a bit silly, to say the least, so let's try this again. :)

Things to do in the next 10 turns:

1. Stop Dopey from chopping down the other forest near N.Y.C.
  2. Build a Worker, and have him irrigate the Wheat near D.C.
  3. Get a Settler down to Silks, and connect it to D.C.
  4. No more building Settlers in D.C. Use N.Y.C.'s Settler factory instead.
  5. Before hitting 'Enter' to begin Turn #21, go to N.Y.C., and reassign citizen to work the irrigated Wheated Flood Plain.

I will check in at this thread once more before playing the next 10 turns. I'll probably play them around 1:00 PM Tuesday afternoon. This was posted at about 12:30 AM Tuesday morning. There are still 12+ hours for anyone to chime in with suggestions and advice.

Does anyone else have any other advice?

As always, much thanks and respect. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Edit: It's now 1:00 PM Tuesday afternoon, and judging by the lack of responses in the past 12+ hours, no one has any more suggestions, so I will go ahead and play the next 10 turns. See you in a bit.

[c3c]

Sorry for the double post.

IBT: Citizen is reassigned to work the Irrigated Wheated Flood Plains. Now, instead of producing 3 Food, 2 Shields, and 3 Gold per turn, New York City is producing 7 Food, 1 Shield, and 3 Gold per turn with 1 Icon of Waste (or corruption) appearing on the Science line. New York City’s new specifics are: Pop 1; will grow next turn, instead of 5. The Granary will now finish is 49 turns, instead of 25.

Domestic Advisor pops in, and tells me that Washington D.C. has finally finished building the Settler. A Worker can be produced in 5 turns, but the necessary pop growth (Washington is now 1 pop due to Settler) won’t happen for 10 turns. I decide to build a Barracks (1 of 2 that I’m allowed). This will take 20 turns. Hopefully, after the Barracks are built, I’ll be able to build what I need (namely Workers) without waiting extra turns for it.

New York City has grown to Pop 2; will grow in 5 turns. The Granary will be completed in 16 turns.

Turn 21 (2950 B.C.): The Settler moves 1 sq. S towards it’s destination. Dino moves 1 sq. S to a Mountain. Sammy moves 1 sq. S to a Mountain. Dopey moves 1 sq. W to irrigate the Flood Plains. Frankie moves 1 sq. NW and 1 sq. N to a Mountain. In the distance, he spots a Goody Hut on a Mountain.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 1; will grow in 10 turns. The Barracks will be completed in 20 turns.
New York City: Pop 2; will grow in 5 turns. The Granary will be completed in 16 turns.

IBT: Grumpy finishes chopping down the forest. 10 Shields are returned to New York City.

Turn 22 (2900 B.C.): Grumpy begins Irrigating the Plains (3 turns). Dopey begins Irrigating the Flood Plains (3 turns). The Settler moves 1 sq. SE towards the new City Site. Dino moves 2 sq. S to fill in the map. Sammy moves 1 sq. SW to a Mountain. Frankie moves 1 sq. NE and 1 sq. E to pop the Goody Hut. Let’s see what happens . . . Yes! ‘The Anasazi tribe has taught us ‘Ceremonial Burial’. I immediately contact Korea.

“Greetings, Wang Kon. I am interested in obtaining some new technology. What may I offer you for The Wheel?”

He replies, “I’ll trade you The Wheel for Ceremonial Burial and 150 Gold (lump sum).”

Here we go again. After some haggling, the deal is set.

“Here’s the offer, Wang Kon. I’ll trade you Ceremonial Burial and 116 Gold (lump sum) for The Wheel.”

He replies, “That is acceptable. Done.”

He has no other technology to trade (Just what the heck has he been doing during all this time?). I politely take my leave.

“It’s been a pleasure doing business with you Wang Kon. I’m sure that we’ll do more trading in the future. Good-bye.”

I hastily reopen the Diplomacy Window, and contact Maya.

“Greetings, Smoke-Jaguar. What are you willing to offer me for Ceremonial Burial?”

I notice that he has no techs to trade, so I’m sure that I’m about to be given a very bad offer, and he doesn’t disappoint in that respect.

He replies, “I’ll give you 15 Gold (lump sum) (all he has) for Ceremonial Burial.”

P.U.!!! What stinks?!! Oh yeah, it’s the deal.

I respectfully decline his ‘gracious’ offer, and walk away from the table disappointed that I couldn’t get a better offer from that savage.

“See you around, Smoke-Jaguar. Next time, have something to trade, will you?”

Washington, D.C.: Pop 1; will grow in 9 turns. The Barracks will be completed in 19 turns.
New York City: Pop 2; will grow in 4 turns. The Granary will be completed in 17 turns. (Yeah, the build time went up a turn. What’s up with that?)

IBT: Nothing

Turn 23 (2850 B.C.): The Settler (I could name him, I guess, but he won’t be around much longer) moves 1 sq. SE. Dino moves 1 sq. S and 1 sq. SW to the coastline. Sammy moves 1 sq. SW to another Mountain. In the distance, he sees another Volcano. Frankie moves 2 sq. SE, following the coastline.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 1; will grow in 8 turns. The Barracks will be completed in 18 turns.
New York City: Pop 2; will grow in 3 turns. The Granary will be completed in 16 turns.

IBT: Nothing.

Turn 24 (2800 B.C.): The Settler moves 1 sq. S, and is now standing on the Silk square which is where he’ll build the city next turn. Dino moves 1 sq. SE, following the coastline. Sammy moves 1 sq. W to the Hills. Frankie moves 1 sq. E to some Hills on the coast, overlooking the ocean.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 1; will grow in 7 turns. The Barracks will be completed in 17 turns.
New York City: Pop 2; will grow in 2 turns. The Granary will be completed in 15 turns.

IBT: Dopey finishes Irrigating. He begins building a Road (2 turns) in the Flood Plains, heading towards the Hill where he sees Horses. (YES!). Grumpy finishes Irrigating. He begins a Road (2 turns).

Turn 25 (2750 B.C.): The Settler founds Boston (which I was planning to name the new city anyways, so I leave it alone) on top of the Silks. The Trade Advisor sticks his head in, and tells me that the Workers have completed the Road that will bring Silks to the people of Boston. He congratulates me for making the Bostonians happy. After looking over the lay of the land of Boston, I’m dealt a problem. My first instinct is to build a Worker to complete the Road to Washington, D.C. faster, but, alas, it would only take 5 turns to make a Worker, but I won’t have the necessary pop for 10 turns. What a pain! After much thinking, and against my better judgment, I decide to build a Warrior first (5 turns), and then the Worker (5 turns). Don’t worry, I’ll realize my mistake soon enough.

Here is the breakdown of Boston’s 21 square City Radius. Beginning with Boston, and continuing with every future city, I’ll give each City tile a number. Tile 1 is the tile directly North of the City square. Tiles 2-8 move Clockwise around the City Square. Tile 9 is the square NE of Tile 1, and tiles 10-20 will again move Clockwise around the Inner Ring, excluding the corners which are not a part of the City Radius.

Boston

City Square: Grassland with Silks and River (F2/S1/G4)

Inner Ring

Tile 1: Grassland with River (F2/S0/G1)
Tile 2: Jungle with River (F1/S0/G1)
Tile 3: Mountains with Forest and River (F0/S1/G1)
Tile 4: Mountains with River (F0/S1/G1)
Tile 5: Hills with River (F1/S1/G1)
Tile 6: Jungle with River (F1/S0/G1)
Tile 7: Grassland with River (F2/S0/G1)
Tile 8: Jungle with River (F1/S0/G1)

Outer Ring

Tile 9: Grassland with River (F2/S0/G1)
Tile 10: Mountain with River (F0/S1/G1)
Tile 11: Mountain (F0/S1/G0)
Tile 12: Mountain with River (F0/S1/G1)
Tile 13: Forest with River (F1/S2/G1)
Tile 14: Forest with River (F1/S2/G1)
Tile 15: Hills with River (F1/S1/G1)
Tile 16: Mountain with Forest and River (F0/S1/G1)
Tile 17: Mountain with River (F0/S1/G1)
Tile 18: Forest with River (F1/S2/G1)
Tile 19: Mountain (F0/S1/G0)
Tile 20: Bonus Grassland (F2/S1/G0)

A bit of overlap with Washington D.C., but not too much.

Back to the game, Dino moves 1 sq. S, following the coastline. Sammy moves 1 sq. S to a Mountain. In the distance, he spots a Goody Hut. Oh, goody! LOL . Frankie moves 1 sq. SW and 1 sq. S to a grassland with Cattle. In the distance, he spots a HUGE Volcano!

Washington, D.C.: Pop 1; will grow in 6 turns. The Barracks will be completed in 16 turns.
New York City: Pop 2; will grow next turn. The Granary will be completed in 14 turns.
Boston: Pop 1; will grow in 10 turns. The Warrior will be ready in 5 turns.

IBT: New York City grows to Pop 3, and there was much rejoicing (Yaaaaay!)

Turn 26 (2710 B.C.): Frankie notices that the Volcano has erupted, so he cautiously moves 1 sq. SW, and 1 sq. S. Dino moves 1 sq. SE, following the coastline. Sammy moves 1 sq. W towards the Goody Hut.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 1; will grow in 5 turns. The Barracks will be completed in 15 turns.
New York City: Pop 3; will grow in 5 turns. The Granary will be completed in 9 turns.
Boston: Pop 1; will grow in 9 turns. The Warrior will be ready in 4 turns.

IBT: Domestic Advisor pops up, and tells me that New York City is rioting! What should we do? I tell her to relax. I’ll deal with ‘the people’ of New York City soon enough.

Turn 27 (2670 B.C.): I go to the Domestic Advisor, and adjust the Luxury slider to 10%. Let’s see if the little ingrates in New York City will be mollified by that. Grumpy has finished the Road, and now moves towards Washington, D.C. to build a Road to Boston. Dopey is accidentally moved off the Road E to the Hills. (Evidently, Grumpy didn’t have all of his movement points left after finishing the Road, so Dopey also got moved. ARGH! I hate it when that happens!) Frankie moves 1 sq. E to a Mountain on the coast. Nice view! Dino moves 1 sq. S, following the coastline. Sammy pops the Goody Hut. Let’s see what happens . . . ‘The friendly Illinois tribe has given us a skilled (yeah right, 2 whole Hit Points) Warrior.’ I move the Warrior (hereafter referred to as Moe) 1 sq. NW to follow the coastline. He is now standing on a Silk square.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 1; will grow in 4 turns. The Barracks will be completed in 14 turns.
New York City: Pop 3; city in unrest: No growth, no production.
Boston: Pop 1; will grow in 8 turns. The Warrior will be ready in 3 turns.

IBT: Order is restored in New York City.

Turn 28 (2630 B.C.): Grumpy moves W, SW, and S, leaving the Road. Dopey (aptly named) moves S to get back on Road. Dino moves 1 sq. S, following the coastline. Sammy moves 1 sq. SW to coastline. Moe moves 1 sq. NW, following the coastline. He sees fish ahead off the coast. Frankie moves 1 sq. W and 1 sq. S to a coastline.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 1; will grow in 3 turns. The Barracks will be completed in 13 turns.
New York City: Pop 3; will grow in 4 turns. The Granary will be completed in 8 turns.
Boston: Pop 1; will grow in 7 turns. The Warrior will be ready in 2 turns.

It dawns on me (finally) that I should be building a Scout in Boston, not a Warrior. I contact the city. The change is made. That was close!

Turn 29 (2590 B.C.): Dopey (back on the Road) moves along the Road to Washington D.C., heading for the Wheat on the outskirts of Washington, D.C. to Irrigate it. Grumpy begins building the Washington, D.C.-Boston Road (2 turns). Dino moves 1 sq. W, following the coastline. Sammy moves 1 sq. SE, following the coastline. Moe moves 1 sq. NW to the Hills. Frankie moves 2 sq. SW, following the coastline.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 1; will grow in 2 turns. The Barracks will be completed in 12 turns.
New York City: Pop 3; will grow in 3 turns. The Granary will be completed in 7 turns.
Boston: Pop 1; will grow in 6 turns. The Scout will be ready in next turn.

IBT: Domestic Advisor pops up, and tells me that Boston has produced a Scout. I tell her to have Boston build a Worker next (5 turns).

Turn 30 (2550 B.C.): The new Scout (hereafter referred to as Peter) moves 1 sq. SE to a Mountain, heading for the unknown region to our South. Dopey moves 1 sq. W to the Wheated Plain. Dino moves 1 sq. SW, following the coastline. Sammy moves 1 sq. S to the Hills. Moe moves 1 sq. N, following the coastline. Frankie moves 1 sq. S, following the coastline. He steps into a Marshland.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 1; will grow next turn. The Barracks will be completed in 11 turns.
New York City: Pop 3; will grow in 2 turns. The Granary will be completed in 6 turns.
Boston: Pop 1; will grow in 5 turns. The Worker will be ready in 5 turns.

I quickly contact both Korea and Maya, but neither Wang-Kon or Smoke-Jaguar has (grammar?) any technology to sell or trade. Well, Smoke-Jaguar is still willing to buy Ceremonial Burial from me for 15 Gold (lump sum). Thanks, but no thanks, pal!

The year is 2550 B.C. I have 148 Gold, gaining 10 out of a possible 15 per turn. I’m losing 2 Gold to Entertainment, 2 to Corruption, and 1 to a GPT deal with Korea.

Here is the save and some screenshots of 2550 B.C.

There are 2 pics of the Playing View:

And:

Here is our place in the World:

Here is the information screen:

And here are the 3 City Screens:

Washington, D.C.

New York City

And Boston:

Here is the savegame:

View attachment 114447

As always, your thoughts are greatly appreciated. :worship:

Edit: It's now 11:00PM, Thursday, February 2, 2006, and no one has given any feedback on my progress (or lack thereof). If I have offended any of you in some way, I apologize. If I don't hear any feedback whatsoever by Monday 12:00 Noon, I'll assume that none of you wish to help me, and I'll PM a moderator to lock this thread.

2nd Edit: I resized the City Screens, so it's easier to see.

3rd Edit: I actually have a question. How exactly did I manage to grab the tech lead in the Ancient Ages when I didn't research a thing? When I go the Diplomacy Screen, I usually have 4 or 5 techs that they don't have, but they don't have any techs to trade (or gold for that matter). What's up?

Sorry, I didn't give up on you. It looks fine to me, I think you might be ahead because your expansionistic and you get better hut results, although I didn't see how many techs you got from them. Not a criticism, but the grassland squares bordering the river by your capital arent being used in the city veiw. Being grassland, you'll get 2 food, and one trade w/o improvement, w/road 2 trade. It's helpful to get that extra trade, especially at this point as on trade out of 15 is more than later in the game when your getting 150 trade or more.

Who's border is that near Moe?

Maybe move your future city site on north, that will give you a coastal city. Could be helpful. Can't build a galley to find anyone without a coastal city.

Here's a question I didn't see the answer to before, what is your overall goal for victory in this game?

Experiment 626-I meant that if you cut down the forest units wont be attacking from a forest and you get some shields.

Experiment 626 said:
[c3c]

Edit: It's now 11:00PM, Thursday, February 2, 2006, and no one has given any feedback on my progress (or lack thereof). If I have offended any of you in some way, I apologize. If I don't hear any feedback whatsoever by Monday 12:00 Noon, I'll assume that none of you wish to help me, and I'll PM a moderator to lock this thread.

Man, don't pout! :cry: I promise to come back more often:lol:

[c3c]

From Marsden:

Sorry, I didn't give up on you.

I was really starting to wonder . . . ;)

It looks fine to me, I think you might be ahead because your expansionistic and you get better hut results, although I didn't see how many techs you got from them. Not a criticism, but the grassland squares bordering the river by your capital arent being used in the city veiw. Being grassland, you'll get 2 food, and one trade w/o improvement, w/road 2 trade. It's helpful to get that extra trade, especially at this point as on trade out of 15 is more than later in the game when your getting 150 trade or more.

I'll make a note to move the citizen(s) to the Grassland first thing (before hitting 'Enter' to start Turn 31).

Who's border is that near Moe?

That would be Maya, led by that cheapskate Smoke-Jaguar. :lol:

Maybe move your future city site on north, that will give you a coastal city. Could be helpful. Can't build a galley to find anyone without a coastal city.

While that is true, (and is a good idea), I thought that I'd build the city where the light blue dot is to get the Horses. If I move to the coast, I won't get the Horses, because I can't build Temples, etc. for Culture to expand my boundary. Of course, once the Settler Factory is up and running in N.Y.C., I can always have a Settler build another city near the Sugar on the coast.

Here's a question I didn't see the answer to before, what is your overall goal for victory in this game?

The only Victory conditions enabled are SpaceShip and Diplomatic.

From conquer_dude:

Experiment 626-I meant that if you cut down the forest units wont be attacking from a forest and you get some shields.

Ah! Thank you for the explanation.

From Marsden:

Man, don't pout! I promise to come back more often

Sorry. :blush: I'm really beginning to wonder if I have abandonment issues. :crazyeye:

actually have a question. How exactly did I manage to grab the tech lead in the Ancient Ages when I didn't research a thing? When I go the Diplomacy Screen, I usually have 4 or 5 techs that they don't have, but they don't have any techs to trade (or gold for that matter). What's up?
It is normal thing... On regent level tech pace is moving really slow :blush:

[c3c]

From smart:

It is normal thing... On regent level tech pace is moving really slow

Oh! So that's the reason. Thanks! :D

I will probably play the next 10 turns tomorrow after I get home from work. I would think that I will start at about 3 PM (my time, of course. I have no clue what time it is where you are. :lol: ). I posted this at about 8:45PM Monday night.

Actually, I have a better idea. When I get home, I'll check in here first to see if anybody else has any more suggestions or advice before I play, so that's 15+ hours remaining.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. :worship:

Experiment 626 said:
[c3c]

The only Victory conditions enabled are SpaceShip and Diplomatic.

Well, you should decide now, not later, what you're building, a spaceship or the UN. If your going for space than don't worry about anybody's (AI) feelings, but if you want the diplomatic win, do not attack, cheat, or otherwise upset your imbecile opponents or they won't like you and won't vote for you. This includes Smoky and Wang. What a pair of names.;) What a pair of fools:lol: You want to concentrate on your settler building and start an army. It won't be too much longer before some damn fool, like Smoke-Jaguar, will start threatening for something, cash or a tech. Be careful as if you tell him where to go and how to get there he might send some units your way. If you don't have any troops at all, you'll be in trouble. Since you don't have iron yet, try archers. Get those horses and get a couple chariots, although horsemen are much better. Chariots only count as warriors in the AI's estimation of combat ability they dont consider movement in combat strength. Archers count the same as horsemen, but manuverablity is good even if the AI doesn't think so. You have 3 cities. Perhaps use NYC and DC as settler factories and use your next few cities for troops. I'd think about changing that barrack to a grainery in DC. Just imagine how many troops you can build with 10 extra cities that extra settler pump could give you.

About the city site by NYC, I understand you want the horses and aren't having any cultural border expansion, but if you do settle on the coast the horses will "fill-in" when you found a couple cities somewhat near each other they get a square or two more of territory than the 9 you normally start with. But don't move north, move north-east for this to work, and still have the coast. It's important to get that first ship out and finding the other two empires, as you stated is one of your goals.

[c3c]

From Marsden:

Well, you should decide now, not later, what you're building, a spaceship or the UN. If your going for space than don't worry about anybody's (AI) feelings, but if you want the diplomatic win, do not attack, cheat, or otherwise upset your imbecile opponents or they won't like you and won't vote for you. This includes Smoky and Wang. What a pair of names. What a pair of fools

I think that I'll try for the SpaceShip win this time, and next game, go for the Diplomatic win.

You want to concentrate on your settler building and start an army. It won't be too much longer before some damn fool, like Smoke-Jaguar, will start threatening for something, cash or a tech. Be careful as if you tell him where to go and how to get there he might send some units your way. If you don't have any troops at all, you'll be in trouble. Since you don't have iron yet, try archers. Get those horses and get a couple chariots, although horsemen are much better. Chariots only count as warriors in the AI's estimation of combat ability they dont consider movement in combat strength. Archers count the same as horsemen, but manuverablity is good even if the AI doesn't think so.

I'll try for Horsemen, but I can't remember off the top of my head if I have Horseback Riding or not. Guess I'll find out soon enough. :D I look at my territory, and all of my cities are undefended right now. It makes me a bit nervous. :twitch:

You have 3 cities. Perhaps use NYC and DC as settler factories and use your next few cities for troops. I'd think about changing that barrack to a grainery in DC. Just imagine how many troops you can build with 10 extra cities that extra settler pump could give you.

I was unaware that D.C. was a suitable location for a Settler Factory, but that's the reason that I'm playing this TDG, and it's to learn. I will switch Barracks to Granary before I begin Turn 31.

Something just occurred to me. Hypothetically, if I were to go around and kill off all of the other Civs, it would be a Conquest victory. Since the Conquest victory condition isn't enabled, would I have the entire world to myself so that I can build the SpaceShip at my leisure?

Hmmmmm . . .

I'm off :crazyeye: (Ain't that the truth?) to play the next 10 turns. I will try to get the Journal Entry posted tonight.

As always, much thanks and respect. :worship:

Ew, I read that post above me... Diplomatic when makes me sick. Its so hard not to late temtation grab you and make you go to war with all the civs and CRUSH them together. and start a World War. :evil:

I don't think that DC could be a settler factory, because you need at least 2 extra food for 6-turner. But it could pump a settler sometimes, so granary might be usefull to speed up growth.

Just make sure you use that wheat near DC, its not the "optimal" settler factory but expansion is very important, which means settlers are extremely important.

But, I also agree with Smart. But in this early phase your army doesn't need to be veteran. the granery in the capital will help, dont forget you've got rivers so you can go all the way up to size 12. Now, don't do that, because you'll have happiness problems, but the extra pop is good for settlers, and the more trade you generate in the capital, the more straight income you'll have. Also, if your population gets high and rowdy, chose something you want, like a marketplace and Whip 'em and Whip 'em good. They'll be unhappy, but there shouldn't be too many left alive to complain. Oh, Do NOT whip on the first turn, one person makes 20 shields before they drop, so get 20 in the box and whip 4 to get the market, or whatever you have in mind.

In NYC, make sure you move your worker from the forrest to the irrigated flood plain, when the new citizen grows in he'll be automatically put on the forrest, that's fine but a settler factory needs to emphasize food. Also, get a worker over there irrigate and road the next flood plain.

Also, instead of using DC as a settler factory, you could use it as a worker factory, not as desirable, but workers are Important and one of your goals from post 1 is learning your worker utilization.

You have at least 4 forrests around Boston ( More than a Feeling...) you can chop, it would actually save some time if you chop the forrest south of Grumpy, then road the grassland hooking up your silk, Mmmm..... silky, and using that 10 shields toward an archer or other troop or even a barracks.

The military advisor and you AI opponents respect offensive strength much more than defensive. If you have an intimidating army you might not have as much trouble with the others, because they will fear you. It is often better to build all offensive units for that reason, but try not to overdo the archers unless you have no chance for iron because they are not that good, and don't upgrade to much IMHO. Horsemen while not better attackers have a better upgrade path, but they are expensive to upgrade, 150 gold apeice.

I've read all of your posts, and I'll respond to them tomorrow. I just want to post the latest entry in the journal and go to :sleep: . It's after 1:00 AM here.

Journal Entry #4

IBT: The Citizen that is working the Irrigated Roaded Plains (F2/S1/G2) is reassigned to work the Bonus Grassland (F2/S2/G2). Production in Washington, D.C. has been changed from Barracks to Granary. Grumpy finishes the road. Washington, D.C. grows in population to 2.

Turn 31 (2510 B.C.): Peter moves one sq. S to fill in the map. Grumpy moves 1 sq SE to build a road. Dopey moves 1 sq. E to Irrigate Grassland. (I made a mistake on Turn 30, moving Dopey to the Wheated Plain. The Wheated Plain doesn’t have a river next to it, so I have to move Dopey back to the Grassland and Irrigate it, so that I can Irrigate the Wheated Plain). Dino moves 1 sq. SW, following the coastline. Sammy moves 1 sq. S to the hills, following the coastline. Moe moves 1 sq. NW, following the coastline. Frankie moves 1 sq. S, following the coastline.

A quick check with CivAssistII shows that I have 2 techs (Alphabet and The Wheel) that I can sell to Maya. Smoke-Jaguar has no techs to trade and only 15 Gold. Hopefully, this situation will improve soon.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 2: Growth in 10. Granary in 10.
New York City: Pop 3: Growth next turn. Granary in 5.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 4. Worker in 4.

IBT: New York City grows in population to 4.

Turn 32 (2470 B.C.): Dopey begins to Irrigate the Grassland. Grumpy begins building the final piece of road that will connect Boston to Washington, D.C.. Peter moves 1 sq. S to fill in the map. Frankie moves 1 sq. S, following the coastline. Dino moves 1 sq. SW to the hills, following the coastline. In the distance, he sees a Volcano. Sammy moves 1 sq. E, following the coastline. Moe moves 1 sq. N, following the coastline.

CivAssistII informs me that New York City is about to riot. I go to New York City, and see that I have 1 Happy, 1 Content, and 2 Unhappy Citizens, who claim that ‘It’s just too crowded!’ I go to the Domestic Advisor, and bump Luxuries up to 20%. The Citizens’ moods do not change. I bump it up to 30%. There! Now I have 2 Happy and 2 Unhappy Citizens in New York City. Hopefully, once the road from Boston to Washington, D.C. is finished, the Silks will help mollify the masses.

Washington D.C.: Pop 2: Growth in 9. Granary in 9.
New York City: Pop 4: Growth in 4. Granary in 3.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 3. Worker in 3.

IBT: The Domestic Advisor rushes in, and relays devastating news that the Citizens of New York City are dying of Disease! She further informs me that our prophets think that conditions in the surrounding Flood Plains may be unhealthy. Not much can be done about the conditions, so, after a moment of silence, I continue with a heavy heart.

Turn 33 (2430 B.C.): Peter moves 2 sq. S to fill in the map. In the distance, he sees a mountain. He decides to head for it. Frankie moves 1 sq. W, following the coastline. Dino moves 1 sq. SW, following the coastline, but keeping a watchful eye on the Volcano. Sammy moves 1 sq. E to a Mountain. Moe moves 1 sq. NW, following the coastline.

Washington D.C.: Pop 2: Growth in 8. Granary in 8.
New York City: Pop 3: Growth in 3. Granary in 2.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 2. Worker in 2.

IBT: HORRORS! New York City has once again been ravaged by disease! The Domestic Advisor is too grief-stricken to show her face. I don’t blame her. After a quick prayer to the Gods, I continue. Grumpy finishes the Washington D.C. to Boston road. Every city is now connected to the Capital and the Silks.

Turn 34 (2390 B.C.): Grumpy begins mining. Peter moves 2 sq. S to the Mountain. Frankie moves 1 sq. W to a Mountain, and spies a Goody Hut! Dino moves 1 sq. SE to the Hills, avoiding the Volcano. Sammy moves 1 sq. NE to a Mountain to fill in the map. Moe moves 1 sq. NW, following the coastline.

Washington D.C.: Pop 2: Growth in 7. Granary in 7.
New York City: Pop 2: Growth in 3. Granary next turn.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth next turn. Worker next turn.

IBT: The Domestic Advisor pops in, and says that New York City has finished the Granary. I tell her to have New York City build a Settler. She then tells me that Boston has grown in population to 2, and that Boston has finished building the Worker. That’s a wash, I guess. I tell her to have Boston build a Scout.

Turn 35 (2350 B.C.): CivAssistII pops up, and informs me that Maya has Workers for sale. I contact Maya . . .

“Greetings, Smoke-Jaguar. I hear that you have a Worker for sale. What can I offer you in exchange for your Worker?”

He replies, “I’ll sell you the Worker in exchange for Alphabet.”

‘Yeah, right!’, I think. Let’s see if I can haggle a bit here . . . I can and I do.

‘O.K., Smoke-Jaguar, here’s the deal. I’ll give you 104 Gold (lump sum) in exchange for your Worker. What do you think?’

He replies, ‘Done!’

Now let’s see if I can get my Gold back. I offer The Wheel, he offers 110 Gold (lump sum). Let’s squeeze this zit ‘til it pops.

‘O.K., Smoke-Jaguar. I’ll sell you The Wheel for 119 Gold (lump sum)’ (which is all he has).

He replies, ‘Done!’

‘Well, Smoke-Jaguar, it’s been fun, but I’d better get back to work.’

I take my leave.

The new Worker (the one that Boston built hereafter referred to as Bashful) moves 1 sq. w to Mine the Grassland. My new Worker arrives in Washington D.C. from Maya (hereafter referred to as Mr. Slave). He moves 1 sq. SW to the Irrigated tile. Dopey moves 1 sq. W to Wheated Plain. Peter moves 1 sq. SW to a Mountain. Frankie pops the Goody Hut! Let’s see what happens . . . The Science Advisor informs me that the Chehalis tribe has taught us Mysticism. I immediately open the Diplomacy window, and contact Korea . . .

“Greetings, Wang Kon. I have something that might interest you. What are you willing to offer me for Mysticism?”

He replies, “I’ll give you 130 Gold (lump sum) for Mysticism.”

Squeeze him! After haggling, the deal is set.

“O.K., Wang Kon. I’ll sell Mysticism to you for 132 Gold (lump sum).” (All he has)

He replies, “Done!”

I take my leave.

Dino moves 1 sq. S. He was going to head for the Mountains to the West, but he notices a Goody Hut to the E. He moves 1 sq. SE toward the Goody Hut. Sammy moves 1 sq. SW to a Mountain. Moe moves 1 sq. NW, following the coastline.

Washington D.C.: Pop 2: Growth in 6. Granary in 6.
New York City: Pop 2: Growth in 2. Settler in 10.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 10. Scout in 5.

Turn 36 (2310 B.C.): Bashful begins mining the Grassland. Dopey begins Irrigating the Wheated Plain. Mr. Slave begins roading the Irrigated Grassland. Lazy bum! It’ll take him 6 turns to build the road! Frankie moves 1 sq. NW to fill in the map. Peter moves 1 sq. W to the Mountain, warily eyeing the Volcano. To the NW a distance off, he sees a Goody Hut! Meanwhile, Dino pops his Goody Hut! The Science Advisor pops in and tells me that the Apache tribe has taught us Horseback Riding! As they say on the British TV shows that I watch on BBCAmerica, RESULT! Sammy moves 1 sq. S to a Mountain. Moe moves 1 sq. N, following the coastline.

Washington D.C.: Pop 2: Growth in 5. Granary in 5.
New York City: Pop 2: Growth next turn. Settler in 9.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 9. Scout in 4.

IBT: New York City has grown in population to 3.

Turn 37 (2270 B.C.): CivAssistII pops up, and tells me that I can buy Iron Working from Korea. I can also sell Horseback Riding to Korea. Let’s make a deal! I open the Diplomacy window, and contact Korea.

“Greetings, Wang Kon. I would like to buy Iron Working from you. What would you like in return?”

He replies, “I’ll trade you Iron Working for Horseback Riding and 110 Gold (lump sum).”

Let’s haggle. A bit later, the deal is set.

“O.K., Wang Kon. I’ll trade you Horseback Riding and 71 Gold (lump sum) for Iron Working.”

He replies, “Done!”

I take my leave.

Frankie is startled by the sudden appearance of Iron to the SW of his location. He moves 1 sq. NW to fill in the map. Peter moves 1 sq. NW and 1 sq. N to pop the Goody Hut. Let’s see what happens . . . The Science Advisor informs me that the Olmec tribe has taught us Mathematics. Dino moves 1 sq. NE to a Mountain. Sammy moves 1 sq. S to a Mountain. Moe moves 1 sq. N to the hills, following the coastline.

I open the Diplomacy window to shop Mathematics around. Korea first.

“Hello, Wang Kon, what are you willing to give me in exchange for Mathematics?”

He replies, “50 Gold (lump sum).”

After haggling, the deal is set.

“O.K., Wang Kon, I’ll sell you Mathematics for 71 Gold (lump sum).”

He replies, “Done!”

I take my leave.

Maya has no techs to trade and 0 Gold. What’s Smoke-Jaguar doing over there?

I decide not to bother him.

I notice that since I bought Iron Working from Korea, my Science Advisor has switched research to Writing. (Whatever, dude . . . )

Washington D.C.: Pop 2: Growth in 4. Granary in 4.
New York City: Pop 3: Growth in 3. Settler in 8.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 8. Scout in 3.

IBT: Grumpy finished the Mine.

Turn 38 (2230 B.C.): Grumpy notices that Boston is surrounded by Mountains and Jungles. He moves 1 sq. SE to a Jungle square to clear it. Peter moves 2 sq. S towards the unknown. Dino moves 1 sq. S to a Mountain. Sammy moves 1 sq. S to a Mountain. Frankie moves 1 sq. S towards the coastline. Moe moves 1 sq. N to the Hills on the coast.

Washington D.C.: Pop 2: Growth in 3. Granary in 3.
New York City: Pop 3: Growth in 2. Settler in 7.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 7. Scout in 2.

IBT: The Volcano near Maya’s border has become active! Dopey finishes Irrigating the Wheat.

Turn 39 (2190 B.C.): Dopey begins building a Road. Grumpy begins clearing the Jungle (16 turns). Frankie moves 1 sq. S to a Mountain with an Iron deposit on it. Peter moves 1 sq S to a Mountain with a Gold Deposit on it. Dino moves 1 sq. S to a Mountain with Gems on it. Sammy moves 1 sq. E to fill in the map. Moe moves 1 sq. S, following the coastline.

Washington D.C.: Pop 2: Growth in 2. Granary in 2.
New York City: Pop 3: Growth next turn. Settler in 6.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 6. Scout next turn.

IBT: The Domestic Advisor pops in, and tells me that New York City has grown in population to 4. She also tells me that Boston has finished building the Scout. I order Boston to build a Worker next. Bashful has finished building the mine.

Turn 40 (2150 B.C.): The new Scout (hereafter referred to Joey) travels up the road, and ends up in Washington, D.C. He will explore the unknown region between Korea and Maya. Bashful begins building a Road. Frankie moves 1 sq. W, following the coastline. In the distance, he sees another Goody Hut! He moves 1 sq. SW to pop it next turn. Peter moves 1 sq. S to a Mountain. Dino moves 1 sq. S to the Hills. Sammy moves 1 sq. SE to a Mountain. Moe moves 1 sq. E, following the coastline.

Washington D.C.: Pop 2: Growth next turn. Granary next turn.
New York City: Pop 4: Growth in 3. Settler in 4.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 5. Worker in 5.

End of Set: 2150 B.C. 397 Gold, gaining 10 per turn.

A quick check of CivAssistII shows me that I currently rank 1st in Cities (3), Land (39), and Population (7). I have 10 Units (5 Scouts, 4 Workers, and 1 Conscript Warrior).

I know 11 techs. I started with Masonry and Pottery. In trades with Korea, I’ve learned Bronze Working, Alphabet, The Wheel, and Iron Working. In a trade with Maya, I’ve learned Warrior Code. The rest are Ceremonial Burial, Mysticism, Mathematics, and Horseback Riding which I popped from Goody Huts.

Korea has 0 Gold, and no techs to sell or trade.
Maya has 25 Gold, and no techs to sell or trade.

Here's the pics:

Playing View:

Our Place in the World:

And the Information Screen:

And here's the save:

View attachment Lincoln of the Americans, 2150 BC.SAV

As always, any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. :worship:

In the immortal words of Yakko from 'Animaniacs': '(blows a kiss) Goodnight, everybody!' :sleep:

Marsden said:
Whip 'em and Whip 'em good. They'll be unhappy, but there shouldn't be too many left alive to complain.
:hmm:
At the early stage of game every citizen matter, I'd say never whip unless there is very important improvement that should be done fast, like Walls in the border cities in Always War games.

@Experiment 626: I don't have time to read the whole turnlog now, I will give some advices later...

HORRORS! New York City has once again been ravaged by disease!
After disease I usually move citizen off a bad tile like a jungle or floodplain. Sometimes it help to prevent disease again :rolleyes:

I’ll sell you The Wheel for 119 Gold (lump sum)
He replies, “I’ll give you 130 Gold (lump sum) for Mysticism.”
Don't sell your techs for low amount of gold. You can wait when they will learn some techs and trade your tech for their, and for addition you may even get some gold.

“O.K., Wang Kon. I’ll trade you Horseback Riding and 71 Gold (lump sum) for Iron Working.”
This is a good deal, because you got a tech. Always see a trade options, and dont give away a monopoly tech for something unusefull. CA2 will help a lot with trading monitoring.

Dopey moves 1 sq. E to Irrigate Grassland.
NEVER irrigate grassland in Despotism, because it will not give anything to you - it will still produce two food. You might chop a forest and irrigate plain under it to be able to irrigate wheat.

And, one thing: You don't need to describe how your units are moving, we will not replay your turns. It is hard to read all those details :mischief:

Smart said:
Don't sell your techs for low amount of gold. You can wait when they will learn some techs and trade your tech for their, and for addition you may even get some gold.

Wow, I didn't think those were low prices at all, especially for ancient age techs. I'm normally lucky to get about 70 or 80g out of the AI.

Maybe I just suck. :(

On occasion I've preferred to get gold-per-turn deals out of the AI, since apparently it makes them unwilling to maintain a high research rate. But then, if they declare war on me, I've just gotten ripped off.

I got a little over the top about pop rushing, :p but if you have excess population that is killing your economy because of only on luxury needing the entertainment slider up high, then I say kill some to show the others you mean business. Unhappy people are worth the same score as dead ones, zero. And with food they'll grow back.

Maybe I just suck.
On low levels it is fine... I prefer to get gpt from AI too, but only after trading a tech around for another techs. And I will never give a monopoly tech for something like 100-200 gold ;)

Edit: X-post with Marsden.
If you will whip they will be more and more unhappy. If you can't ajust lux slider (but it is happend not very often), hire scientists, they are great in C3C because they produce 3 breakers per turn instead of one in vanilla.

Top Bottom