Experiment 626's Solo TDG

[c3c]

From conquer_dude:

Ew, I read that post above me... Diplomatic when makes me sick. Its so hard not to late temtation grab you and make you go to war with all the civs and CRUSH them together. and start a World War.

You don't get along and play well with others, do you? :lol:

From Smart:

I don't think that DC could be a settler factory, because you need at least 2 extra food for 6-turner. But it could pump a settler sometimes, so granary might be usefull to speed up growth.

From Marsden:

Just make sure you use that wheat near DC, its not the "optimal" settler factory but expansion is very important, which means settlers are extremely important.

How many turns do you think that it will take D.C. (on average) to produce a Settler?

From Marsden:

But, I also agree with Smart. But in this early phase your army doesn't need to be veteran.

I currently have 3 cities. How big should my army be?

Now, don't do that, because you'll have happiness problems, but the extra pop is good for settlers, and the more trade you generate in the capital, the more straight income you'll have.

Should I have my Workers road each and every tile in D.C.'s radius? More roads means more trade, right?

Also, if your population gets high and rowdy, chose something you want, like a marketplace and Whip 'em and Whip 'em good.

(answers phone) 'Hello? Yes, he's here. Hold on, please. Um . . . Marsden? Devo's lawyers are on the phone, and they'd like a word with you!' :lol:

In NYC, make sure you move your worker from the forrest to the irrigated flood plain, when the new citizen grows in he'll be automatically put on the forrest, that's fine but a settler factory needs to emphasize food. Also, get a worker over there irrigate and road the next flood plain.

Will do.

Also, instead of using DC as a settler factory, you could use it as a worker factory, not as desirable, but workers are Important and one of your goals from post 1 is learning your worker utilization.

Sounds feasible.

You have at least 4 forrests around Boston ( More than a Feeling...) you can chop, it would actually save some time if you chop the forrest south of Grumpy, then road the grassland hooking up your silk, Mmmm..... silky, and using that 10 shields toward an archer or other troop or even a barracks.

Boston is built right on top of the Silk, so it's already hooked up.

The military advisor and you AI opponents respect offensive strength much more than defensive. If you have an intimidating army you might not have as much trouble with the others, because they will fear you.

Puss in Boot's voice from Shrek 2: Fear me! :D

It is often better to build all offensive units for that reason, but try not to overdo the archers unless you have no chance for iron because they are not that good, and don't upgrade to much IMHO.

Iron has finally appeared on my map, but none of it is even remotely close to my territory. [pissed]

Horsemen while not better attackers have a better upgrade path, but they are expensive to upgrade, 150 gold apeice.

150 apiece per upgrade? Cripes, that's robbery! :mischief:

From Smart:

At the early stage of game every citizen matter, I'd say never whip unless there is very important improvement that should be done fast, like Walls in the border cities in Always War games.

The House rules forbid me from building City Walls. See the first couple of posts in this thread for details.

@Experiment 626: I don't have time to read the whole turnlog now, I will give some advices later...

Cool! :cooool:

This set of turns would have gone a heck of a lot better had NYC not been stricken TWICE by disease. Once, O.K., it's part of the game, but twice on successive turns, makes me paranoid. :crazyeye:

About settlers and DC: I've posted somewhere in this thread link to a nice article about settler factories. It will explain you all about settlers...

Also, I said about walls not in your game, it was an example when you should use whip.

Did you have read my last posts? :)

[c3c]

@Smart: Yeah, I read them. I was composing my last post when all of you posted yours. Without further ado . . .

From Smart:

After disease I usually move citizen off a bad tile like a jungle or floodplain. Sometimes it help to prevent disease again.

But I need to work the FP for the Settler factory, don't I? I guess that I just have to take my chances.

Don't sell your techs for low amount of gold. You can wait when they will learn some techs and trade your tech for their, and for addition you may even get some gold.

Ah! I'll keep it in mind, but I'm already ahead in the tech race. I'll be waiting a long time for the other civs (esp. Maya) to acquire a tech that they can trade to me.

This is a good deal, because you got a tech. Always see a trade options, and dont give away a monopoly tech for something unusefull. CA2 will help a lot with trading monitoring.

I'm slowly learning on how to use CA2, so I will keep an eye on it. I have the Alerts windows turned on to pop up when something happens.

NEVER irrigate grassland in Despotism, because it will not give anything to you - it will still produce two food. You might chop a forest and irrigate plain under it to be able to irrigate wheat.

Yeah, I know. There just wasn't any other way to get water to the Wheated Plain. I'll try not to do it again.

And, one thing: You don't need to describe how your units are moving, we will not replay your turns. It is hard to read all those details.

You should try writing them! :lol: Well, if it's O.K. with everyone else from now on, I'll just say that my Scouts are filling in the map, and not write every single movement down. If I pop a Goody Hut or something, I'll definitely let you know.

On low levels it is fine... I prefer to get gpt from AI too, but only after trading a tech around for another techs. And I will never give a monopoly tech for something like 100-200 gold

Which are the monopoly techs (in each era)?

Keep the advice coming, people! I greatly appreciate it! :worship:

Experiment 626 said:
Which are the monopoly techs (in each era)?

AFAIK "monopoly techs" refer to the ones only you have, and all of the AI don't have it. It doesn't mean any specific tech, although I tend to find it easier to get monopolies on optional techs and some of the weird modern ones like genetics and recycling.

I think there's a list somewhere of techs that the AI is really unlikely to research, it might be buried somewhere in this thread.

(answers phone) 'Hello? Yes, he's here. Hold on, please. Um . . . Marsden? Devo's lawyers are on the phone, and they'd like a word with you!'
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yes! someone has a sense of humor! I LIKE IT!

Although the usefulness of a pop rush is important I am not advocating doing it frivilously, it can be helpful. Smarts suggestion of scientists is a very good one and applies to more situations. However, you are on a non-research rule and a scientist would violate that.

I currently have 3 cities. How big should my army be?

Despotism supports 4 per town, 4 per city, 4 per metropolis. Having said that, counting all your workers, scouts, settlers, and actual troops, you can currently have 12 and not pay anything. But to answer your question, check with Biff, :ar15: the military advisor and ask by clicking the more in his word box. He will tell you, "compared to these guys our military is weak" or something to that effect. Try to stay at least average, because if you're weak the have nots will come knocking and they will be rude. You said Smoke Jaguar doesnt have any techs you don't but you have ones he doesn't. Smoky will check with his own advisor and decide, "Hey, I can have horseback riding from the Americans, all I have to do is send some troops over and take it from him." You do not want to be pushed around by the AI.

Should I have my Workers road each and every tile in D.C.'s radius? More roads means more trade, right?

Not each and every, but try to road the grassland and plains, only road others after you can use them. DC is size 3 then you can only use 3 tiles. Don't spend 9 turns roading a mountain when you can road 3 plains/grassland in the same time.

Boston is built right on top of the Silk, so it's already hooked up

I meant hooked up to all cities. Boston automatically had silk, but it was the only one until a road connected it to the others.

Tough luck about the disease. I'm not sure if there is a remedy. The flood plain is too important for food production to worry about it. But I've noticed that it usually comes two turns in a row. You might not have it again, or it might be back later.

[c3c]

From Sima Qian:

AFAIK "monopoly techs" refer to the ones only you have, and all of the AI don't have it. It doesn't mean any specific tech, although I tend to find it easier to get monopolies on optional techs and some of the weird modern ones like genetics and recycling.

Ah! Thanks for that information. :goodjob:

From Marsden:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yes! someone has a sense of humor! I LIKE IT!

I know that I can be a bit whiny at times, but, yes, my sense of humor is alive and well. Benny Hill, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, etc . . .

Smarts suggestion of scientists is a very good one and applies to more situations. However, you are on a non-research rule and a scientist would violate that.

Pity that. :shakehead:

Despotism supports 4 per town, 4 per city, 4 per metropolis. Having said that, counting all your workers, scouts, settlers, and actual troops, you can currently have 12 and not pay anything. But to answer your question, check with Biff, :ar15: the military advisor and ask by clicking the more in his word box. He will tell you, "compared to these guys our military is weak" or something to that effect. Try to stay at least average, because if you're weak the have nots will come knocking and they will be rude. You said Smoke Jaguar doesnt have any techs you don't but you have ones he doesn't. Smoky will check with his own advisor and decide, "Hey, I can have horseback riding from the Americans, all I have to do is send some troops over and take it from him." You do not want to be pushed around by the AI.

How can S-J take a tech from me before espionage? In a previous game, I went around capturing cities left and right, but never got a free tech.

Not each and every, but try to road the grassland and plains, only road others after you can use them. DC is size 3 then you can only use 3 tiles. Don't spend 9 turns roading a mountain when you can road 3 plains/grassland in the same time.

Will road the plains and grasslands A.S.A.P.

I meant hooked up to all cities. Boston automatically had silk, but it was the only one until a road connected it to the others.

With the completion of the D.C.-Boston road, all three cities are now hooked up to the Silks.

But I've noticed that it usually comes two turns in a row. You might not have it again, or it might be back later.

Now there's a foreboding thought! :eek:

I should explain my explanations better. I meant they will threaten you by saying give us horseback riding or else we will declare war. You then have to give it to them or deny them in which they might be bluffing and back down or declare war. If you only have a single conscript warrior there could be...trouble.

[c3c]

From Marsden:

I should explain my explanations better. I meant they will threaten you by saying give us horseback riding or else we will declare war. You then have to give it to them or deny them in which they might be bluffing and back down or declare war. If you only have a single conscript warrior there could be...trouble.

Oh, I get it! I've seen that before in other games.

So the things that I need to do in the next 10 turns are:

• Hopefully, get that Settler finished, and found a city (name already decided) on the coast near the horses.
  • Have Grumpy continue to clear the Jungle near Boston.
  • Build roads on all Plains and Grasslands around D.C.
  • Reassign the Citizen that is currently working the Forest near NYC to the Irrigated Flood Plain.
  • Have a Worker irrigate the next Flood Plain near NYC.

Should I build roads on all Plains and Grasslands around each of my cities?

Are there any other things that I should concentrate on for Turns 41-50?

As always, much thanks and respect. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Edit: (Saturday, 11 Feb 2006, 1:07AM) It looks like it will again be Tuesday before I get to play the next set of turns, so everyone has plenty of time to chime in with their thoughts, advice, and suggestions. Good night. :sleep:

Have a Worker irrigate the next Flood Plain near NYC.
Don't do it, irrigated wheat will give you all food needed for fast growth. Irrigate and road plains near NYC.
Irrigation on second floodplain was a mistake - extra food is wasted and it increase chances of disease again.

Build roads on all Plains and Grasslands around D.C.
You should improve only that tiles, where you citizens will work. If you will build roads everywhere, it will not increase commerce. To get bonuce, one citizen should work on roaded tile.
First of all, mine already roaded BG. Then mine and road second BG near D.C.

Build next city 3NW from NYC and connect horses. Send one worker to NYC to improve plains.

Experiment 626 said:
[c3c]

From conquer_dude:

You don't get along and play well with others, do you? :lol:

Nope. I'm so emo and evil noone likes me.:p
Just jokin.

[c3c]

From Smart:

Don't do it, irrigated wheat will give you all food needed for fast growth. Irrigate and road plains near NYC. Irrigation on second floodplain was a mistake - extra food is wasted and it increase chances of disease again.

You should improve only that tiles, where you citizens will work. If you will build roads everywhere, it will not increase commerce. To get bonuce, one citizen should work on roaded tile.
First of all, mine already roaded BG. Then mine and road second BG near D.C.

Build next city 3NW from NYC and connect horses. Send one worker to NYC to improve plains.

Alllllllllllllllllllllllllll-righty then!

Here's the amended list of things to work towards during turns 41-50:

• Hopefully, get that Settler finished, and found a city (name already decided) on the first Plains square on the opposite side of the Horses from N.Y.C. The aforementioned city name will also be changed.
  • Have Grumpy continue to clear the Jungle near Boston.
  • Mine the already-roaded B.G. near D.C.. Then Mine and Road the second B.G. near D.C..
  • Send one of the Workers to N.Y.C. to improve the Plains square.

If I'm feeling O.K., I'll probably play the next set of turns tomorrow. I will check in here when I get home from work before I play.

So, keep them suggestions comin', folks. They are greatly appreciated. :goodjob:

Edit: It's now Tuesday, 14 Feb 2006, and I will go ahead and play the next 10 turns. See you in a bit. Happy Valentine's Day, people! :love:

[c3c]

Sorry for the double post . . .

Journal Entry #5

IBT: Washington, D.C. grows in population to 3. Domestic Advisor pops up, and says that Washington, D.C. has produced a Granary. I order D.C. to build a Settler next.

Turn 41 (2110 B.C.): Joey heads for the unexplored region between Korea and Maya. Dopey moves to Mine and Road the Bonus Grassland near Washington, D.C. Frankie pops a Goody Hut. We get a map of the region. Whoopie! The Scouts keep exploring, and the Workers keep developing the City Squares.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 3: Growth in 10. Settler in 5.
New York City: Pop 4: Growth next turn. Settler in 4.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 4. Worker in 4.

IBT: New York City grows in population to 5.

Turn 42 (2070 B.C.): The Scouts and Conscript Warrior continue to fill in the map. The Workers keep improving the land. Nothing else happens on this turn.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 3: Growth in 9. Settler in 4.
New York City: Pop 5: Growth in 2. Settler in 2.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 3. Worker in 3.

IBT: DISEASE STRIKES NEW YORK CITY AGAIN!

Turn 43 (2030 B.C.): Dopey begins Mining the Bonus Grassland near Washington, D.C.. Bashful begins clearing the Jungle near Boston. Scouts and Conscript Warrior continue to fill in the map.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 3: Growth in 8. Settler in 3.
New York City: Pop 4: Growth in 2. Settler next turn.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 2. Worker in 2.

IBT: DISEASE STRIKES NEW YORK CITY YET AGAIN! New York City produces Settler. I order New York City to build a Worker next.

Turn 44 (1990 B.C.): The new Settler moves toward the new City site 3 sq. NW of New York City on the opposite side of the Horses. The Scouts and Conscript Warrior continue to fill in the map. The Workers keep improving the land.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 3: Growth in 7. Settler in 2.
New York City: Pop 1: Growth next turn. Worker in 10.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth next turn. Worker next turn.

IBT: Boston has grown in population to 2. Boston has produced a Worker, so that’s a wash. I order Boston to build a Granary next in order to give the city a chance to bolster up its population. New York City grows in population to 2. I change N.Y.C.’s production to a Settler.

Turn 45 (1950 B.C.): The new Worker (hereafter referred to as ‘Happy’) moves to begin building the road to the new City site located SE of Boston. We will attempt to make a beeline for the Iron. Joey pops a Goody Hut. We get Polytheism. A quick check of CivAssistII shows that neither Korea nor Maya have anything to trade, so I leave them be. Frankie pops a Goody Hut. We get a skilled Warrior (hereafter referred to as ‘Larry’).

Washington, D.C.: Pop 3: Growth in 6. Settler next turn.
New York City: Pop 2: Growth in 2. Settler in 27.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 10. Granary in 30.

IBT: Washington, D.C. has produced a Settler. I order Washington D.C. to produce a Barracks next (14 turns). This will give that city a chance to bolster their population.

Turn 46 (1910 B.C.): The newest Settler heads for the coast. The Settler (not the one that just moved, but the one that was produced in Turn 44) founds a new City called ‘Philadelphia’. I order Philadelphia to build a Scout first, then a Worker.

Philadelphia

Dino pops a Goody Hut. We get a skilled Warrior (hereafter referred to as ‘Curly’).

Washington, D.C.: Pop 1: Growth in 5. Barracks in 14.
New York City: Pop 2: Growth next turn. Settler in 26.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 9. Granary in 29.
Philadelphia: Pop 1: Growth in 10. Scout in 5.

IBT: New York City has grown in population to 3.

Turn 47 (1870 B.C.): Dopey finishes Mining. He begins to build a Road. Scouts and Warriors continue on their merry way.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 1: Growth in 4. Barracks in 13.
New York City: Pop 3: Growth in 2. Settler in 12.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 8. Granary in 28.
Philadelphia: Pop 1: Growth in 9. Scout in 4.

IBT: Nothing.

Turn 48 (1830 B.C.): The Settler continues toward the coastal City site.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 1: Growth in 3. Barracks in 12.
New York City: Pop 3: Growth next turn. Settler in 11.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 7. Granary in 27.
Philadelphia: Pop 1: Growth in 8. Scout in 3.

IBT: New York City has grown in population to 4.

Turn 49 (1790 B.C.): While exploring Korea’s border, Joey is trapped by a Korean Warrior. He can’t move. Meanwhile, Dopey heads for the Horses to build the Road.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 1: Growth in 2. Barracks in 11.
New York City: Pop 4: Growth in 2. Settler in 7.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 6. Granary in 26.
Philadelphia: Pop 1: Growth in 7. Scout in 2.

IBT: While exploring the Southern region of the continent, Dino is ambushed and killed by some Barbarians! :gripe:

Turn 50 (1750 B.C.): Curly pops a Goody Hut. We get 50 Gold. The Settler founds the Coastal city named ‘Atlantic City’. I order them to build a Worker first.

Atlantic City

The Korean Warrior harassing Joey continues on his way, leaving Joey a bit frightened. Undaunted, he continues exploring Korea’s border.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 1: Growth next turn. Barracks in 10.
New York City: Pop 4: Growth next turn. Settler in 6.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 5. Granary in 25.
Philadelphia: Pop 1: Growth in 6. Scout next turn.
Atlantic City: Pop 1: Growth in 10. Scout in 10.

End of Set of Turns: 545 Gold, +11 per turn.

A quick check of CivAssistII shows that Korea and Maya still don’t have anything to trade. I’m 1st in Gold (545), Land, and Population. I currently 2nd in number of cities.

Here is the Playing View:

Here is our Place in the World:

Here is the Information Screen:

As always, any advice and/or suggestions is greatly appreciated. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Looks good.

Few things I'd like to say: consider changing AC to producing curragh, its like a scout on the water, other than getting the next settler sent to claim the iron, expand toward the Koreans, to box them in. You might be able cut them and the Maya of from the whole south of your continent by spreading north and west, cutting across from that inland sea to the ocean. Also, at least one town should be building troops, tho' your building a barracks, some troops now would be a good idea.

Also tough luck on the disease in NYC, must be sewer rats er sumpthin.

And lastly, DINO!!! WHY!! WHY!! What about his 13 kids! :cry:

[c3c]

Looks good.

Why, thank you! :D

Few things I'd like to say: consider changing AC to producing curragh, its like a scout on the water

D'OH! You're right, of course. I only have 30 more turns to meet and greet the 2 other random civs. I wonder if they will have anything worth trading for.

other than getting the next settler sent to claim the iron, expand toward the Koreans, to box them in. You might be able cut them and the Maya of from the whole south of your continent by spreading north and west, cutting across from that inland sea to the ocean.

I will claim the Iron first, and then try to hem Korea and Maya in.

Also, at least one town should be building troops, tho' your building a barracks, some troops now would be a good idea.

Once I get the Horses hooked up, I'll build a few in the Barracks city. Hopefully, I'll get Iron hooked up soon as well.

Also tough luck on the disease in NYC, must be sewer rats er sumpthin.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if N.Y.C. gets inflicted with the Black Plague at some point. :sad:

And lastly, DINO!!! WHY!! WHY!! What about his 13 kids! :cry:

I was really starting to wonder when the Barbs were going to show up.

Edit: (Tuesday 21 Feb 2006, 5:20PM) I'm off to play the next 10 turns. Wish me luck!

Experiment 626 said:
[c3c]

Edit: (Tuesday 21 Feb 2006, 5:20PM) I'm off to play the next 10 turns. Wish me luck!

Looking forward to it!

[c3c]

IBT: Atlantic City’s production is switched from Scout to Curragh. The city’s citizen is reassigned to work a tile that will allow the completion of the project in 7 turns. This has the unfortunate side effect of making the Growth leap up to 19 turns. The Cultural Advisor sticks his two cents in, and tells me that Korea is building ‘The Oracle’. The Domestic Advisor pops up, and tells me that both Washington, D.C. and New York City have grown in population: Washington D.C. is up to 2, and New York City is up to 5.

Turn 51 (1725 B.C.): Dopey is now standing on the Hills with the Horses, and will begin to build the road next turn. The rest of the Workers keep doing what they are doing, and the Scouts keep scouting. The new Scout (hereafter referred to as Dino, Jr.) heads towards the NW.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 2: Growth in 5. Barracks in 5.
New York City: Pop 5: Growth in 2. Settler in 3.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 4. Granary in 24.
Philadelphia: Pop 1: Growth in 5. Worker in 5.
Atlantic City: Pop 1: Growth in 19. Curragh in 7.

IBT: Nothing.

Turn 52 (1700 B.C.): Dopey begins building the Road. Sammy spots a Goody Hut in the distance. Nothing else happens.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 2: Growth in 4. Barracks in 4.
New York City: Pop 5: Growth next turn. Settler in 2.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 3. Granary in 23.
Philadelphia: Pop 1: Growth in 4. Worker in 4.
Atlantic City: Pop 1: Growth in 18. Curragh in 6.

IBT: PETER IS AMBUSHED AND KILLED BY BARBARIANS! While I mutter obscenities under my breath, the Domestic Advisor tells me that New York City has grown in population to 6.

Turn 53 (1675 B.C.): Sammy pops the Goody Hut, and we get 50 gold. Huzzah! Heaven forbid that we get a tech or something. Noooooooooooooo! We get something that I already have a lot of. Geez! :gripe: Nothing else happens.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 2: Growth in 3. Barracks in 3.
New York City: Pop 6: Growth in 3. Settler next turn.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth in 2. Granary in 22.
Philadelphia: Pop 1: Growth in 3. Worker in 3.
Atlantic City: Pop 1: Growth in 17. Curragh in 5.

IBT: DISEASE STRIKES NEW YORK CITY! The Domestic Advisor tells me that New York City has built a Settler.

Turn 54 (1650 B.C.): The Settler heads for the new city site which is SE of Boston.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 2: Growth in 2. Barracks in 2.
New York City: Pop 3: Growth in 2. Worker in 5.
Boston: Pop 1: Growth next turn. Granary in 21.
Philadelphia: Pop 1: Growth in 2. Worker in 2.
Atlantic City: Pop 1: Growth in 16. Curragh in 4.

IBT: DISEASE STRIKES NEW YORK CITY YET AGAIN! Boston grows in population to 2. Grumpy finishes clearing the Jungle near Boston.

Turn 55 (1625 B.C.): Grumpy begins Mining.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 2: Growth next turn. Barracks next turn.
New York City: Pop 2: Growth next turn. Worker in 4.
Boston: Pop 2: Growth in 10. Granary in 20.
Philadelphia: Pop 1: Growth next turn. Worker next turn.
Atlantic City: Pop 1: Growth in 15. Curragh in 3.

IBT: The Trade Advisor pops up, and tells me that ‘Our Workers have finished the Road, bringing Horses to Washington, D.C.. Good Job!’. The Domestic Advisor tells me that Washington, D.C. has finished the Barracks. They will build a Settler next. Philadelphia has produced a Worker. They will build a Granary next. Both Washington, D.C. and New York City have grown in population to 3.

Turn 56 (1600 B.C.): Dopey moves to build the Road that will connect Atlantic City to the rest of the cities. The new Worker (hereafter referred to as ‘Sleepy’) starts Mining the Hills with the Horses.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 3: Growth in 4. Settler in 5.
New York City: Pop 3: Growth in 3. Worker in 2.
Boston: Pop 2: Growth in 9. Granary in 19.
Philadelphia: Pop 1: Growth in 7. Granary in 60.
Atlantic City: Pop 1: Growth in 14. Curragh in 2.

IBT: The Cultural Advisor pops in, and tells me that Maya is building the Oracle.

Turn 57 (1575 B.C.): Nothing.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 3: Growth in 3. Settler in 4.
New York City: Pop 3: Growth in 2. Worker next turn.
Boston: Pop 2: Growth in 8. Granary in 18.
Philadelphia: Pop 1: Growth in 6. Granary in 59.
Atlantic City: Pop 1: Growth in 13. Curragh next turn.

IBT: New York City has produced a Worker. They will produce a Settler next. Atlantic City has built a Curragh. They will build a Worker next. The Citizen is reassigned to work the best square for producing Food.

Turn 58 (1550 B.C.): The new Worker (hereafter referred to as ‘Doc’) moves to Irrigate the Plains near New York City. The Curragh (hereafter referred to as the ‘S.S. Minnow’) sets sail along the coast to the E.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 3: Growth in 2. Settler in 3.
New York City: Pop 2: Growth next turn. Settler in 15.
Boston: Pop 2: Growth in 7. Granary in 17.
Philadelphia: Pop 1: Growth in 5. Granary in 58.
Atlantic City: Pop 1: Growth in 6. Worker in 10.

IBT: New York City has grown to 3. Resilient, aren’t they?

Turn 59 (1525 B.C.): The Minnow continues down the coast. The Settler builds ‘Cambridge’. The production is set to Worker.

Cambridge

Washington, D.C.: Pop 3: Growth next turn. Settler in 2.
New York City: Pop 3: Growth in 4. Settler in 7.
Boston: Pop 2: Growth in 6. Granary in 16.
Philadelphia: Pop 1: Growth in 4. Granary in 57.
Atlantic City: Pop 1: Growth in 5. Worker in 9.
Cambridge: Pop 1: Growth in 7. Worker in 10.

IBT: Washington D.C. has grown in population to 4.

Turn 60 (1500 B.C.): Dopey begins Irrigating a Plains near Atlantic City.

Washington, D.C.: Pop 4: Growth in 4. Settler next turn.
New York City: Pop 3: Growth in 3. Settler in 6.
Boston: Pop 2: Growth in 5. Granary in 15.
Philadelphia: Pop 1: Growth in 3. Granary in 56.
Atlantic City: Pop 1: Growth in 4. Worker in 8.
Cambridge: Pop 1: Growth in 6. Worker in 9.

End of Set of Turns: 724 Gold (+14 per turn). Korea and Maya STILL don’t have any techs for me to buy or trade. Curly has been closing in on the Barbs’ camp, and will exact a bloody revenge for Dino’s and Peter’s lives next turn.

Here is the Playing View:

Here is Our Place in the World:

Here is the Information Screen:

Here is the savegame (I forgot to include this on the last Journal Entry):

View attachment Lincoln of the Americans, 1500 BC.SAV

As always, your thoughts, suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated. :worship:

Only things I can say are, mining hills in despotism is usually lost effort, and Troops? Do you have an army besides those stooges you have out there?

Settlers are extremely important and I don't think having some from DC is a bad thing, BUT, you built a barracks, which costs 1gpt, which only exists to make troops veteran, which if you don't build any is wasted cash. Also, some horsemen scouting your opponents would be a good idea.

Here's a little scenario that I'd like to suggest. Just imagine for a moment, if you would, that you see a stack of Mayan spearchuckers on the mountain just by your wheatfield near DC. What would you do?

I expect an answer as this is not a rhetorical question.

[c3c]

Do you have an army besides those stooges you have out there?

Right now, it's just Moe, Larry, and Curly. :D

Settlers are extremely important and I don't think having some from DC is a bad thing, BUT, you built a barracks, which costs 1gpt, which only exists to make troops veteran, which if you don't build any is wasted cash. Also, some horsemen scouting your opponents would be a good idea.

I'm sensing a theme to your post here . . . If I don't start building troops, it'd be :suicide:.

Here's a little scenario that I'd like to suggest. Just imagine for a moment, if you would, that you see a stack of Mayan spearchuckers on the mountain just by your wheatfield near DC. What would you do?

Firstly, I'd contact Maya, and politely ask him to move his troops from my territory. :)

Secondly, if the first idea doesn't work, I'd demand that he remove his troops from my territory. :mad:

Thirdly, I'd offer him techs to not attack me. I don't mind being a doormat for a little bit. As soon as I get the Iron hooked up, I'll start pumping out Horsemen and Swordsmen and Pikemen to defend myself. :ninja:

I expect an answer as this is not a rhetorical question.

But, teacher, I never studied rhetoricals, and as such, was unaware that they would appear on the test! :rotfl:

Thanks for the advice. I :salute: you.

Experiment 626 said:
[c3c]Firstly, I'd contact Maya, and politely ask him to move his troops from my territory. :)

Secondly, if the first idea doesn't work, I'd demand that he remove his troops from my territory. :mad:

Thirdly, I'd offer him techs to not attack me. I don't mind being a doormat for a little bit. As soon as I get the Iron hooked up, I'll start pumping out Horsemen and Swordsmen and Pikemen to defend myself. :ninja:

Iron won't help you get pikemen, you can't build them until feudalism. You won't need the iron for spearmen either.

Since it looks like you have plenty of gold, I'd suggest you're better off building warriors (very cheap shield-wise) and waiting a bit before connecting the iron, then you can upgrade them to swordsmen (has to be done in a city with barracks though, so you'll have to move them into DC if you build them in another city).

As for offering techs to appease the AI, I've never found that it works. I'd rather offer gpt, which will still help them get techs faster, but if they decide to attack me anyway I get all my gold back.

Just a few random thoughts, I'm still quite a noob myself so take any advice I give with a grain of salt.

Experiment 626 said:
[c3c]
Now for some house rules as suggested by denyd, to help me learn.

1. I am not allowed to Research any techs before 1000 BC. This will improve my trading skills.
2. My first 2 builds in the Capital city must be Scouts to practice exploration, contacts, and trading skills.
3. I am not allowed to build any Ancient Age Wonders.
4. I cannot build any Military unit until horsemen and/or swordsmen are available. (Though, there’s a bit of discussion going on between denyd and TruePurple about this).
5. I must always have at least one Worker for each city and I am forbidden from Automating them. They must be used to Irrigate brown, Mine Green, and connect the cities with Roads. Roads = Commerce and Commerce = Gold and Gold = Research, so the more the better.
6. I am to concentrate on expansion, improving my lands and contacting everyone else on my landmass. I am also to use galleys to try to reach other landmasses and meet all of the AIs in the game.
7. I am not allowed to build more than 2 barracks, libraries, harbors or markets. I am forbidden from building temples, colosseums and city walls.
8. I am to try to claim at least 1 Luxury resource, and either Iron or Horses (both would be best) by 1000 B.C.

Those are some excellent restrictions! They will force you to be a better player by making be more active early in the game, where expansion and people are so critical to winnng the later game. (BTW, is Rule #7 true for the whole game or just until 1000 BC?)

I don't have C3C, only PTW, so I cannot do much more than lurk and try to sound like I know what I'm talking about.

City Details
By the time you get to 10 cities, you may want to rethink your habit of posting city details each turn. Early on, and especially now, inside the first 100 turns, you do want to watch each city like a hawk. By the time you reach 10 cities, the effort to log that information may not be worth the effort.

What I did, as one example, was to post the city details at the start and end of my turns. As the civ grew, I still gathered the details, but what I posted was a list of cities (with a count of the cities) that were producing/making/building each thing, and then list the cities with what item. It looked something like this:

library [3] (Rome, London and Ur)
temple [2] (Nottingham and Mecca)

Turn Logging
Since this is your own training game you almost have to log everything. You have done a good job on this. The real key, I think, is in detailing how and why you are using your workers. Exploring the map, while important, only shows you the map. Using workers is all about how you use the map and improve on what the map has given you. And you can hardly ever have too many workers.

I like the re-naming of units. Your names are more creative than mine. Yours are real names (Moe, Larry, Peter, etc). I tend to use labels (Worker01, Sword26 and Celt01). Functional, yes, but not as neat. :D

Top Bottom