Experiment 626's Solo TDG

This has been a good game.

1 comment - not sure where your research is and where everyone elses is, but if you are going for Republic, after writing go Code of Laws, then Philosophy. If you are the first to research philosophy, you get a free tech! And that would be republic ;)

This has been a nice game - keep trying to find the other landmass - the 'suicude curragh/galley' trick is a great way to find places the AI simply won't.

Swordsmen:

You could try Robin Hood (and/or Errol Flynn), King Arthur and/or any of his knights (or wait until knights for those), Aragorn (Lord of the Rings) - most of those are english, of course, but english history is, to a large degree, american history, as well.

Vikings all used swords. Greeks? Theseus, Perseus, Ulysses...

Well, the next 10 turns are Complete (pun intended :mischief: ). The pics are taken, cropped, and uploaded. Now all I have to do is to type up the Journal Entry. I doubt that I'll get it done and posted tonight, but you never know.

On to your posts:

From Eltrai:

Following with interest 626. Looking forward to your next update.

Why, thank you, Eltrai, and welcome to CFC! [party]

From AutomatedTeller:

This has been a good game.

So far, so good, but I can't shake the feeling that the world is going to land on me sometime soon.

1 comment - not sure where your research is and where everyone elses is, but if you are going for Republic, after writing go Code of Laws, then Philosophy. If you are the first to research philosophy, you get a free tech! And that would be republic ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :aargh: * sighs * If only I had known that before I started this set of turns. That didn't even dawn on me. I went Philosophy and then got Code of Laws for free. I can be such a dunderhead sometimes. :(

This has been a nice game - keep trying to find the other landmass - the 'suicude curragh/galley' trick is a great way to find places the AI simply won't.

I know where the silly thing is, but I just can't reach it. I've run out of real-life sunken ships to name these Curraghs after, so I'm on to using any ship's name that comes to mind.

Swordsmen:

Right now, I have a list of 8 names of famous Swordsmen (real-life or fiction), so I'll add those Greek names to my list. I'm definitely saving Knights' names for when I get Knights.

Will try to post the Journal Entry ASAP, but I'm hungry now, so I'll fix dinner and watch 'Distraction' on Comedy Central.

See you soon, and keep those comments, suggestions, and advice coming. I greatly appreciate it. :goodjob:

well, the AI does that a lot, too. It's quite silly.

The trick is called the republic slingshot, btw - you can usually get it at at any level up to regent - I dunno about monarch - you can get in on Emperor unless you are unlucky - getting it on deity requires a lot of luck.

more sword fighters: Beatrix Kiddo (the Bride from Kill Bill), Elric, Fafhrd. Can't believe I don't know a list of about 20 off the top of my head!!

I was going to mention the Philosophy thing, too (thanx AutomatedTeller) but I though someone (one of the AIs) might have discovered it by now. It only works if your the first to discover it. It's surprising but the AI seem to ignore writing and that branch of research. If I deliberately decide to go for the free republic slingshot I usually get it on upto including Emperor.

I really can't think of "names" for units unfortunately. I just build them and send them to their deaths. :devil:

Looking forward to seeing the next 10 turns. And build that Army!

Well, I got about half of the Journal Entry typed up, but I'll have to call it quits for the night. I have to work tomorrow :cry: . I will definitely finish and post it tomorrow, so stay tuned, sports fans . . .

On to your posts:

From AutomatedTeller:

The trick is called the republic slingshot,

*looking at post #1 of this thread* So THAT's the Republic Slingshot! I've been wondering about that ever since I started this game, but never thought to ask what it meant.

more sword fighters: Beatrix Kiddo (the Bride from Kill Bill), Elric, Fafhrd. Can't believe I don't know a list of about 20 off the top of my head!!

*writing names on list* Is Fafhrd spelled correctly, and where does the name come from? As soon as those other names pop into your head, let me know! :D

From Marsden:

I really can't think of "names" for units unfortunately. I just build them and send them to their deaths. :devil:

Actually, I hope that you send them on to VICTORY! ;)

Looking forward to seeing the next 10 turns.

Thanks. Like I 'said' earlier, tomorrow for sure (unless RL throws me a heck of a curve ball!) :rolleyes:

And build that Army!

Oh, trust me! I am! I AM!!! :evil: :lol:

See you later. It's time to go to :sleep: .

well, when I first got conquests, I didn't know about philosophy - so the first time I got my free tech, i thought "whoa! that's a bug!!" I was playing england, so I went for mapmaking for the lighthouse. Course, at that point I didn' realize it caused a golden age, so I had a despotic golden age. but I won that game pretty handily anyway ;)

I have decided to ‘tweak’ the Journal a bit again. Last entry, when a city gained in pop, I couldn’t remember the numbers. So now, here is the new way that I’ll be doing things.

Everything is the same, except for the City Summaries at the end of each turn. It’ll be a lot easier if I just give you an example:

If you see ‘Granary: WSH (P5/G6): 7T’, that means that Washington, D.C. (WSH) has a Population of 5 (P5), and will grow in 6 turns (G6). 7T means that the Granary will be finished in 7 turns.

To keep everybody up to date on City’s abbreviations, here they are going into Turn 91:

WSH=Washington, D.C., NYC=New York City, BOS=Boston, PHI=Philadelphia, ATC=Atlantic City, CAM=Cambridge, CHA=Charlotte, JAM=Jamestown, BAL=Baltimore, SAL=Salem, CON=Concord, and RCH=Richmond

As always, when a new city is added, I give you the abbreviation.

And away we go!

IBT: RCH has produced a Worker. I order a Curragh.

Turn 91 (730 B.C.): The new Worker (‘Goofy’) moves and begins mining on the roaded Cattle square (4T). Lilo builds a road (2T). Bart (renamed ‘Pluto’) builds a road (2T). The Settler (from NYC) founds Atlanta (ATL). I order a Worker. Grumpy begins mining (4T). Ned Flanders (renamed ‘Mickey Mouse’ or ‘Mickey’ for short) moves to road a Grassland.

FAMINE attacks the Barbarian! FAMINE crushes the Barbarian, and emerges completely unscathed from the battle!

The Lusitania continues down the coast. Moe is upgraded to a SWORDSMAN for 60 Gold. He will keep the name ‘Moe’, so that I remember that he’s just a Conscript. Cinderella moves to DEATH’S square to build a road and irrigation while protected. The Flying Dutchman continues on its way as does the Settler.

ATLANTA (ATL)

City Summary:

Curragh: ATC (P2/G1): 7T; JAM (P2/G8): 8T; RCH (P1/G7): 15T
Granary: CAM (P3/G3): 4T; PHI (P4/G7): 4T; SAL (P1/G1): 14T; BAL (P1/G1): 54T
SPEARMAN: BOS (P3/G4): 5T; CHA (P1/G6): 6T; NYC (P2/G2): 8T
SWORDSMAN: WSH (P7/G12): 2T
Worker: CON (P1/G2): 2T; ATL (P1/G10): 10T

We will learn Philosophy in 3 turns.

IBT: Korea sends a SPEARMAN and a Settler to the space between Maya and myself.

ATC has grown to pop 3, BAL and SAL have each grown to pop 2. CON and NYC are about to grow.

Turn 92 (710 B.C.): Moe moves to join DEATH. Sneezy moves to mine the hills. Cinderella begins to build a road on the Plains (2T). Sleepy helps Doc finish the mine (1T). Mickey builds a road (2T). FAMINE moves towards the Barbarian encampment. The Lusitania and The Flying Dutchman continue on their respective ways.

City Summary:

Curragh: ATC (P3/G10): 3T; JAM (P2/G7): 7T; RCH (P1/G6): 14T
Granary: CAM (P3/G2): 3T; PHI (P4/G6): 3T; SAL (P2/G10): 13T; BAL (P2/G7): 53T
SPEARMAN: BOS (P3/G3): 4T; CHA (P1/G5): 5T; NYC (P2/G1): 7T
SWORDSMAN: WSH (P7/G11): 1T
Worker: CON (P1/G1): 1T; ATL (P1/G9): 9T

We will learn Philosophy in 2 turns.

IBT: WSH has produced a SWORDSMAN. I order another one. CON has produced a Worker. I order another one.

NYC has grown to pop 3.
CON grew to pop 2, but the pop point was used up for the Worker.

CAM is about to grow.

CivAssistII tells me that the discovery of Philosophy will overrun by 24 Beakers. I adjust the SCI slider down to 10%, so that I’ll gain +26 Gold this turn while still learning Philosophy next turn.

Turn 93 (690 B.C.): The new Worker (named ‘Donald Duck’ or ‘Donald’ for short) moves to build the connecting road to the next city site. The Settler arrives at his destination. Pluto moves to build a mine on a Grassland. Lilo moves to build a road. Dopey and Lady move to build a road and a mine on a mountain. Sneezy builds a road on a hill (4T). The new SWORDSMAN (named ‘ATHOS’) moves to join DEATH. Tramp (renamed slightly to ‘The Tramp’ (you’ll see why a bit later on in the game)) moves to a Grassland. Doc and Sleepy move to build a road in a forest. Stitch moves to the hills.

FAMINE attacks the Barbarian camp! FAMINE is victorious (and nets us 25 Gold for dispersing the camp), but has suffered a wound. (Oh well, chicks dig scars . . .)

Lusitania continues exploring. The Flying Dutchman arrives at the crossing point.

City Summary:

Curragh: ATC (P3/G9): 2T; JAM (P2/G6): 6T; RCH (P1/G5): 13T
Granary: CAM (P3/G1): 2T; PHI (P4/G5): 2T; SAL (P2/G9): 12T; BAL (P2/G6): 52T
SPEARMAN: BOS (P3/G2): 3T; NYC (P3/G4): 3T; CHA (P1/G4): 4T
SWORDSMAN: WSH (P7/G10): 3T
Worker: ATL (P1/G8): 8T; CON (P1/G10): 10T

We will learn Philosophy next turn!

IBT: We have learned Philosophy! I re-adjust the Sci slider back up to 50%. Code of Laws is next. We have learned Code of Laws! The Republic is next, and we will learn it in 23 turns.

CAM has grown to pop 4.
BOS is about to grow.

A Mayan warrior is hanging around our SW border observing Marge, Happy, and Bashful.

Turn 94 (670 B.C.): The Tramp builds a road (2T). Donald moves to build to build the connecting road to the next city site. The Settler, for some reason, can’t build a city on a marsh (Hasn’t Sid Meier ever heard of Swamp Castle? :lol: ), so he moves to the coast. Pluto moves to build a road in a forest. Dopey and Lady build a road in the mountains (3T). Doc and Sleepy build a road in a forest (2T). Stitch builds a road in the hills (4T). The Flying Dutchman charges across the sea! Cartman (renamed ‘Cruella de Ville’ or ‘Cruella’ for short) moves to build a road on the Plains. Mr. Slave (renamed ‘Scar’) moves to build a road in a forest. Cinderella irrigates the Plains (3T). ATHOS and Moe join DEATH. Mickey builds a mine (4T).

City Summary:

Curragh: ATC (P3/G8): 1T; JAM (P2/G5): 5T; RCH (P1/G4): 12T
Granary: CAM (P4/G7): 1T; PHI (P4/G4): 1T; SAL (P2/G8): 11T; BAL (P2/G5): 51T
SPEARMAN: BOS (P3/G1): 2T; NYC (P3/G3): 2T; CHA (P1/G3): 3T
SWORDSMAN: WSH (P7/G9): 2T
Worker: ATL (P1/G7): 7T; CON (P1/G9): 9T

We will learn The Republic in 23 turns.

IBT: PHI has produced a Granary. I order a SPEARMAN next. ATC has produced a Curragh. I order another one. CAM has produced a Granary. I order a SPEARMAN next.

The Flying Dutchman was lost in treacherous waters. NUTS!

BOS has grown to pop 4.

Turn 95 (650 B.C.): Goofy moves to help Stitch. Cruella builds a road (6T). The new Curragh (christened ‘Revenge of the Minnow’) sets sail from ATC. Pluto builds a road in a forest (4T). Donald builds a road (2T). Grumpy begins a road to the new city site. Scar builds a road in a forest (12T). The Lusitania continues on its voyage. The Settler finally arrives at his new home.

City Summary:

Curragh: JAM (P2/G4):4T; ATC (P3/G7): 5T; RCH (P1/G3): 11T
Granary: SAL (P2/G7): 10T; BAL (P2/G4): 50T
SPEARMAN: BOS (P4/G5): 1T; NYC (P3/G2): 1T; CHA (P1/G2): 2T; CAM (P4/G6): 4T; PHI (P4/G3): 5T
SWORDSMAN: WSH (P7/G8): 1T
Worker: ATL (P1/G6): 6T; CON (P1/G8): 8T

We will learn The Republic in 22 turns.

IBT: WSH has produced a SWORDSMAN. I order another one. NYC has produced a SPEARMAN. I order a Barracks next. BOS has produced a SPEARMAN. I order another one.

Cha and NYC are about to grow.
Korea is now a Monarchy.

Turn 96 (630 B.C.): The SPEARMAN garrisons in BOS. The new SWORDSMAN (named ‘PORTHOS’) moves to join the attack force. The SPEARMAN garrisons in NYC. Revenge of the Minnow heads for the crossing point. Doc and Sleepy move to build a direct road from RCH to ATL. Goofy helps Stitch with the road (1T). The Settler founds Trenton (TRE). I order a Worker. The Tramp builds a mine (4T). Grumpy builds a road (2T). Lilo moves to build a road. The Lusitania continues on its way.

TRENTON (TRE):

City Summary:

Barracks: NYC (P3/G1): 10T
Curragh: JAM (P2/G3): 3T; ATC (P3/G6): 4T; RCH (P1/G2): 10T
Granary: SAL (P2/G6): 9T; BAL (P2/G3): 49T
SPEARMAN: CHA (P1/G1): 1T; CAM (P4/G5): 3T; PHI (P4/G2): 4T; BOS (P4/G4): 5T
SWORDSMAN: WSH (P7/G7): 3T
Worker: ATL (P1/G5): 5T; CON (P1/G7): 7T; TRE (P1/G10): 10T

We will learn The Republic in 20 turns.

IBT: CHA has produced a SPEARMAN. I order another one. The Cultural Advisor tells me that ‘The Koreans are building the Hanging Gardens’. (And there was much rejoicing . . . yay.)

NYC has grown to pop 4.
CHA has grown to pop 2.
PHI and RCH are about to grow.

Maya now has an Anarchistic government.

Turn 97 (610 B.C.): The Lusitania continues on its way. FAMINE (on his way back to WSH to heal his wound) spies a Mayan warrior moving towards Grumpy. FAMINE moves to protect Grumpy. Sneezy builds a mine in the hills (8T). Cinderella and the Attack Force move to improve an adjacent square. The SPEARMAN moves to ATC. Lilo begins a road (2T). Dopey and Lady build a mine (6T). Goofy and Stitch build a mine (4T). Donald moves to continue the road. PORTHOS joins the Attack Force.

City Summary:

Barracks: NYC (P4/G4): 7T
Curragh: JAM (P2/G2): 2T; ATC (P3/G5): 3T; RCH (P1/G1): 9T
Granary: SAL (P2/G5): 8T; BAL (P2/G2): 48T
SPEARMAN: CAM (P4/G4): 2T; PHI (P4/G1): 3T; BOS (P4/G3): 4T; CHA (P2/G7): 10T
SWORDSMAN: WSH (P7/G6): 2T
Worker: ATL (P1/G4): 4T; CON (P1/G6): 6T; TRE (P1/G9): 9T

We will learn The Republic in 18 turns.

IBT: The Cultural Advisor tells me that the Koreans are building The Colossus’. Yee-haw!

RCH has grown to pop 2.
PHI has grown to pop 5.
BAL and JAM are about to grow.

Turn 98 (590 B.C.): Grumpy and FAMINE move together to continue the road. Mickey moves towards CON. The SPEARMAN arrives and garrisons in ATC. Cinderella builds a road (2T). The Lusitania continues exploring, but thanks to my clumsy fingers, ends its turn on a Sea square. Revenge of the Minnow continues towards the crossing point.

City Summary:

Barracks: NYC (P4/G3): 6T
Curragh: JAM (P2/G1): 1T; ATC (P3/G4): 2T; RCH (P2/G7): 8T
Granary: SAL (P2/G4): 7T; BAL (P2/G1): 47T
SPEARMAN: CAM (P4/G3): 1T; PHI (P5/G4): 2T; BOS (P4/G2): 3T; CHA (P2/G6): 9T
SWORDSMAN: WSH (P7/G5): 1T
Worker: ATL (P1/G3): 3T; CON (P1/G5): 5T; TRE (P1/G8): 8T

We will learn The Republic in 17 turns.

IBT: WSH has produced a SWORDSMAN. I order another one. CAM has produced a SPEARMAN. I order another one. Jam has produced a Curragh. I order another one.

BAL and JAM have each grown to pop 3.
BOS is about to grow.

The Lusitania survives!

Turn 99 (570 B.C.): The new Curragh (christened ‘The QE II’) sets sail. Mickey moves to build a road in a forest. The new SPEARMAN garrisons in CAM. Grumpy begins the next piece of the road (2T). Pluto moves to build a road. Lilo moves to build a road. The Lusitania continues on its way. The new SWORDSMAN (named ‘ARAMIS’) moves to join the Attack Force.

City Summary:

Barracks: NYC (P4/G2): 5T
Curragh: ATC (P3/G3): 1T; RCH (P2/G6): 7T; JAM (P3/G10): 15T
Granary: SAL (P2/G3): 6T; BAL (P3/G10): 23T
SPEARMAN: PHI (P5/G3): 1T; BOS (P4/G1): 2T; CAM (P4/G2): 4T; CHA (P2/G5): 8T
SWORDSMAN: WSH (P7/G4): 3T
Worker: ATL (P1/G2): 2T; CON (P1/G4): 4T; TRE (P1/G7): 7T

We will learn The Republic in 15 turns.

IBT: PHI has produced a SPEARMAN. I order a CATAPULT next. ATC has produced a Curragh. I order a CATAPULT next.

BOS has grown to pop 5.
ATL, CAM, and NYC are about to grow.

Maya is now a Monarchy.

Turn 100 (550 B.C.): The new Curragh (christened ‘Nina’) sets sail from ATC. Lilo begins a road in the mountains (6T). Pluto begins a road (2T). The Tramp moves to join Lady. Mickey builds a road in a forest (4T). The new SPEARMAN heads for BAL. Cinderella irrigates the Plains (3T). Revenge of the Minnow tries a different course across the unforgiving sea. The QE II continues its course. The Lusitania continues on its way. On the horizon, they spot a barbarian ship!

City Summary:

Barracks: NYC (P4/G1): 4T
CATAPULT: PHI (P5/G2): 5T; ATC (P3/G2): 7T
Curragh: RCH (P2/G5): 6T; JAM (P3/G9): 14T
Granary: SAL (P2/G2): 5T; BAL (P3/G9): 22T
SPEARMAN: BOS (P5/G5): 1T; CAM (P4/G1): 3T; CHA (P2/G4): 7T
SWORDSMAN: WSH (P7/G3): 2T
Worker: ATL (P1/G1): 1T; CON (P1/G3): 3T; TRE (P1/G6): 6T

We will learn The Republic in 14 turns.

End of Set of Turns: 550 B.C., 261 Gold (+2 per turn).

CivAssistII Information: I am first in Gold (261), Cities (14), Land (154), and Pop (43).

Unit Breakdown: I have a total of 43 Units (19 Workers, 8 SPEARMEN, 4 Curragh, 4 HORSEMEN (of the Apocalypse), 4 Scouts (not doing much of anything really. Just standing around, working on their tans.), and 4 SWORDSMEN.

My Score is 255.

Maya and Korea still have nothing to trade. I was kinda hoping that one of them had already made contact with our Mystery neighbor across the Sea, but no such luck.

Korea, Maya, and I are all still in the Ancient Era.

Here is the Playing View:

Here is Our Place in the World:

Here is the Information Screen:

Here is Korea in 550 B.C.:

Here is Maya in 550 B.C.:

Here is our Mystery neighbor in 550 B.C.:

Here is the savegame:

View attachment Lincoln of the Americans, 550 BC.SAV

If you download this savegame, you'll notice that the SWORDSMEN have different names than what I posted. I got done with the Set of Turns, and realized that the first 4 SWORDSMEN should be named after the 4 Musketeers. On Turn 101, I'll rename the SWORDSMEN.

On to your posts:

From Eltrai:

Fafhard is spelled correct. He is from the Fafhard and Gray Mouser series of books by Fritz Lieber.

Ah! Thank you for the information. :D

From AutomatedTeller:

I had a despotic golden age.

Now THAT can't be a good thing! :thumbdown

As always, your comments, suggestions, and advice are greatly appreciated. :worship:

You could take your scouts and start probing the enemy. It won't make too much difference, but it might be nice to see if there are any enemy cities that only have warriors, although they probably all have spearmen or javelin throwers (for the Maya). Next time you see a Korean settler walking your way you can use the scouts to block its path and keep it from getting somewhere especially if you use 3 or all 4 of them. As a last resort you can disband them for 2 shields in a slow producing town, but I wouldn't recommend that yet.

Notice in the picture of your unknown neighbor, (looks like France, Inca, or China BTW) your curragh is in an ocean. This may or may not make a difference, but you could move it from the coast by the worker only 1 the space and hold in the sea. I think the chances are slightly better to not sink in sea than ocean. then next turn move 2 across the ocean into the other sea. then if your still alive, your sure to make it to the coast of the other land and contact. :goodjob: This will be a straight line move in line with the fish and the square directly to the north of your worker mining.

I had an idea. I was thinking about starting up a thread here too, I was just wondering about what you might be interested in. I was thinking of basic battle theory. But one thing I must ask you. As you have seen by my battle plan pics, I don't know how to put the good pics right into the posts, could you help me out with that? I'd really like to give it a try. I was thinking about asking Sima Quan or Stocktracker too. Let me know if you'd like to see something like that. Thanks.

From Marsden:

As you have seen by my battle plan pics, I don't know how to put the good pics right into the posts, could you help me out with that?

O.K. You've helped me out a lot with this game, so it's only fair that I help you with your question. To post pics directly into the post (like I do with my Journal Entries), here's what I do:

1. Go to Photobucket.com, and set up your free account.
2. Use a Paint program of some sort (I use Paint Shop Pro 5 myself) to do screen captures of your Civ3 (or c3c) game.
3. Exit the game after collecting your screen captures. Remember to save your game first before exiting. . .
4. Go to your Paint program, and look at your screen captures. I'll use one of my pics as an example.
A. I immediately save the pic (as a .jpg) as the Master pic.
B. I use the 'Crop' feature, and 'Crop' my territory (known as the Playing View pic in Journal entries).
C. After cropping, the small pic should be a new pic by itself.
D. I empty the Undo Buffer to make the file as small as possible.
E. I save the new pic as (for example) 'Playing View' as a .jpg .
F. I close the Playing View pic, and reopen the Master pic.
G. I then crop the World Map in the bottom left-hand corner.
H. See step D.
I. I save the new pic as 'World Map' as a .jpg .
J. I close the World Map pic, and re-open the Master pic.
K. I crop the Info screen (bottom right-hand corner).
L. See Step D.
M. I save the new pic as 'Info Screen' as a .jpg .
5. Now you're ready to upload your pics.
A. Get online (duh), and go to PhotoBuckets.com
B. They have a very user-friendly interface which makes it a breeze to upload pics.
6. Now, this may sound a bit strange, but this is how I do it.
A. Open your Word program, and create a new document.
B. Type Playing View: and hit Enter
C. Type World Map: and hit Enter
D. Type Info Screen and hit Enter.
E. SAVE your document before proceeding!
7. You should still be online, and the PhotoBuckets page should be visible.
8. Each of your pics should appear at the bottom of the screen with 3 separate codes. (URL, TAG, and IMG)
9. I click inside the IMG square (which selects the entire IMG link).
10. Hit Control-C to copy.
11. Go to your Word document, and paste the appropriate IMG link on the appropriate line on your document. Do this for all of your pics. See 6E.
12. Now you're in the home stretch . . .
13. Open your new thread, and make a post. When you want to insert your pic into the post, simply copy and paste from your Word document which pic you want. The line look something like: (IMG) (your pic's link here)(/IMG). The ( and ) surrounding IMG are actually [ and ], but I didn't want to confuse the board here.
14. Do this as often as you like, and when you're done, hit 'Preview Post'. I always do. You'll see your post complete with pics.

And there you have it. That's how I do it.

I had an idea. I was thinking about starting up a thread here too, I was just wondering about what you might be interested in. I was thinking of basic battle theory

Sounds great to me. I could use all of the help that I can get. Let me know when you set the thread up, and if I can help in any way. :D

This will be a straight line move in line with the fish and the square directly to the north of your worker mining.

Every Curragh before the current one tried the straight line approach, and where did they end up? In Davey Jones' locker. I'm beginning to wonder if The Loch Ness Monster is living in one of those tiles. :lol:

Edit: I nearly forgot. I always Resize the pic to 75% of actual size before cropping the Playing View pic, the pics of the other civs, etc . . . I don't Resize the Our Place in the World or the Information screen pic.

Experiment 626 said:
Edit: I nearly forgot. I always Resize the pic to 75% of actual size before cropping the Playing View pic, the pics of the other civs, etc . . . I don't Resize the Our Place in the World or the Information screen pic.

I wish everyone would follow this policy. It's a little tiresome to vertical scroll thru 30-50 full screen screenshots per forum page to see a lot of wasted pixels just because some poster wasn't courteous enough to edit his screenies down to a reasonable size and count.

(my pet peeve: 4000bc screenies that show a settler, 9 visible tiles, and 50-60 totally blacked out tiles surrounding him. What a kilowaste of kilobytes!)

The problem with leaving the curragh on the sea tiles is that it can't get to coast the next turn, so it has two chances to sink.

Leaving it on the ocean gives it a 50-50 shot at surviving. He's had 2 go down, so that's bad luck, but it happens.

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/strategy/sinking_chances.php is an article in the war academy that discusses this.

and not to worry - there is no way that the AI will find the other continent before you. They do not do suicide runs - in fact, the AI rarely builds curraghs - my understanding is never on lower levels.

And, frankly, being the only person who knows the other continent (on both sides), provides huge tech trading advantages!

You are kicking butt, I see - good job!

Good point, AutomatedTeller, I wasn't sure if it would help. I think it might help a galley, but then they move 3 and he'd be across the ocean to the other coast. He can pick up map making after republic and solve the problem for good, too.

Wow Ex, thanks for the detailed instructions. I'll be giving it a go about 2 hours from now. Thanks again.

Before someone asks me about it, I know that I usually would put 'Part Un' instead of 'Part One'. It dawned on me that I'm playing as the Americans, thus I should use the English (American) numbers.

Anyway . . .

From AutomatedTeller:

The problem with leaving the curragh on the sea tiles is that it can't get to coast the next turn, so it has two chances to sink.

Am I wrong? I thought that a Curragh has 2 movement points per turn. As long as 'The Revenge of the Minnow' survives this turn, it'll end next turn on the coast square of the other continent.

Leaving it on the ocean gives it a 50-50 shot at surviving. He's had 2 go down, so that's bad luck, but it happens.

Actually, I believe the number of lost ships is far greater than 2. :(

And, frankly, being the only person who knows the other continent (on both sides), provides huge tech trading advantages!

I'm hoping that's the case, and I could always sell Contacts to Korea and Maya, and soak them dry of their Gold. :cooool:

You are kicking butt, I see - good job!

Thanks! However, I'm sure that this game is far from over.

Korea has built a city on the inland lake. Should I send some Settlers out there, build some cities, and block their path to the Southern half of the Continent?

Sorry for the double post, but someone had posted while I was composing my last post.

From Marsden:

Wow Ex, thanks for the detailed instructions. I'll be giving it a go about 2 hours from now. Thanks again.

You're very welcome. Good luck, and let me know if I can be of any more assistance. :thumbsup:

Experiment 626 said:
1. Go to Photobucket.com, and set up your free account.
Everyone manages their PC differently, but these are things that help me. None are great insights; more on the order of some good habits. You may have better ones.

1. Even when the game is a solo game, save it with a meaningful name. In an SG this is already done by the SG naming convention. For solo games it is a bit harder. Do not keep the default name; make it better.
  2. Create a new folder for each game and keep all those saves together. The new folder should be under the main Save folder of your game. This makes point #1 a whole lot easier. The folder name could be "Alexander the Wimp" (indicating a game focusing on a diplomatic victory) and the saves could be 'AtW_3500BC.sav'
  3. Do manual saves as often as needed. If it means three times in one turn, then save three times in one turn. Use a letter or number suffix to indicate the various saves.
  4. Be consistent in your naming per game series. If the first save is 'BC4000' then keep that same style (BC/AD + the year) for that game series.
  5. If you are playing several SG's, create a CivIII work area some place on the machine and keep your game documentation there.
  6. Of course, have a seperate folder for each SG.
  7. Inside each SG, I tend to have two kinds of folders.
    • One folder is of saved games, both downloaded (personal backup) and my turns (backup and easier to upload). I download each saved game twice; once to the Civ Playing folder and also to this saved game folder.
    • The other folders are turnlogs, each turnlog in a seperate folder. Inside the turnlog folder are all the notes and images generated for those turns. This folder is a messy place.
      • I have my rough turnlog in Notepad, a version of it in Word (mainly for spell checking and editing and markup) and a version in Adobe Acrobat. The free program PrimoPDF can convert a Word document into a PDF, and I prefer to view some things in a PDF file format.
      • I also have my saved screen shots (via Paint), the cropped or trimmed versions (to fit onto the screen better) and any marked-up versions of the trimmed image (dotmaps, planned moves, etc; also done in Paint).
    • The turnlog folders are named for the turns I play, so their names do skip around. 'Turnset04_1500BC', 'Turnset09_0250BC' and the like will occur. For me, this is OK.
  8. I use Photobucket also. I have subfolders for each game I post images from. This keeps me from being confused when I am searching for images that I have uploaded.
  9. When I post a turnlog, I go back and forth with the Preview until it looks right and then save that version (marked up) in Word. That save is then turned into a PDF.
  10. If you want to print a post, copy it into Word, save it in a good place with a good name (Post#3500_CommandoBob_SomeWildRant). Normally, I post my strategy plans, allow time for feedback, and then save and print the feedback and use it on my turns. I save it in Word because it prints out much faster and uses less paper than if I try to print the post from the web.
This is really just a starting place of thoughts on how to keep the 'work' of CivIII from destroying the 'fun' of CivIII. And what works for me might be a major headache for you.

The key is to have a system, even a bad one. It doesn't have to make sense to anyone else but you.

Originally posted by Commando Bob

This is really just a starting place of thoughts on how to keep the 'work' of CivIII from destroying the 'fun' of CivIII. And what works for me might be a major headache for you.

The key is to have a system, even a bad one. It doesn't have to make sense to anyone else but you.

My system is to write things out long-hand in a notebook. After the set of turns is done, I type it onto my Word program, and then Copy it into a post.

I think we may be drifting a tad bit Off-Topic. I was going to use the Off-Topic smilie, but he looks angry, and I'm not.

Should I concentrate on anything in particular in my next set of turns?

Like I posted earlier, should I cut Korea off from the southern half of the continent?

As always, your comments, suggestions, and advice are greatly appreciated. :worship:

Edit: This is my 100th Post! :band:

Off Topic Still
Experiment 626 said:
My system is to write things out long-hand in a notebook. After the set of turns is done, I type it onto my Word program, and then Copy it into a post.
I can barely read my own handwriting and I can type faster than I can write (except that mistakes are easier to see)! :D You should be able to have Notepad and CivIII open at the same time and use Alt+Tab to move from one program to the other. On my machine, an old PII 500 MHz, CivIII and Word do not play well together, but CivIII and Notepad are OK. Mapstat is not a problem, either, but CivAssistII does not function when the game is on.

Before the turns, I create a log-layout in Notepad for my turns. That is, for each turn, I will already have my "standard" markups in place for Bold and Italic, Indent, List, etc. The turns are numbered and years are determined. Once gameplay begins, I just type into Notepad what I did in the game.

Back On-Topic
Should I concentrate on anything in particular in my next set of turns?

Like I posted earlier, should I cut Korea off from the southern half of the continent?
Build up your military. Four swords and four horses will do nothing except get you into trouble. You want to be trouble.

You have eight spears and are building three more. Switch two cites to Veteran swords, if possible. Spears are needed to defend, but they are poor attackers. And the AI respects attackers more than defenders (but I think you already know this fact).

Your first two battles will be the biggest. The first, to deny horses to Korea, will be more critical than bloody, but the battle for the capital is going to be ugly. Not only do you want to win the battle, you need to have enough troops to handle the counter attack.

If you were to attack now, the horses could be taken, or at least denied, but I would expect the cost to be half of the attacking force. That is, of the 4 Horse and 4 Swords (8 units total), once the battle is won, I expect that only 4 of them will be undamaged. Four offensive units will not take the capital.

Perhaps it is overkill, and better players will have to decide that, but I would aim to have at least 10 vSwords before starting the war, maybe even 12. However many swords will be in the initial assault, the number of horses should be about half of that number. Horses can scout and pester, but they cannot attack as strongly as the swords.

Once Seoul is yours, the rest of Korea is easy. Not bloodless, but the stacks will not need to be as tall; perhaps only 4 swords, 2 horse and 1 or 2 spear for each city. The spears will stay to defend, of course, as would any wounded units. Undamaged units would continue to the next city. Core production should be able to keep the front supplied with fresh troops especially if we you conquer roaded cities.

Top Bottom