Extended Europe - 22 Civs TSL

125 AD

Barbarians are killing me. I have 2 ships and 8 units just trying to keep barbarians out of the way.

#1 The map is great, but is there any way to include Huns in the south of Russia on black sea? Historically that region was not a part of russia, but was instead dominated by Crimean Tatars. It would be nice to have a counterweight for Russia in the south!!!

#2 With all the detail, the map still feels like its way to big. Dont get me wrong, its the best map of northern Europe by far, with that said however, there is no need for any kind of conflict until way later. Maybee if north could be cut, and east can be cut somehow by 8 tiles or so. Of course those gems east of Russia start would be hurtful to loose.

Here is a humble suggestion map to make a great map even better

Thank you

I can include the Huns, I did not do that in the first place, because they fit more into the ancient scenarios. At the moment all civilizations are medieval or modern ones in northern Europe.

Attilas TSL is the second circle right of Vienna. It is surrounded by the Carpathian mountains. So I doubt they will expand to the northeast into Russia. I rather expect them to kill Austria pretty soon, when they are in. (Which is also not bad and could be painful for Venice too.)

I would suggest to include the Huns at its TSL in the Carpathian Mountains, and also the Mongols as a real counterweight near Odessa, but I will not cut off anything from the north or east anymore. Its too complicated. There are many many strategic resources, rivers, city states, etc. The problem, that the AI does not fight so much is obviously the new style of BNW and can not be solved with making the map smaller and smaller. But we can add some more warmongers.

PS: You must kill their camps or the Barbs will keep spawning...

Mongols and Huns would be wonderful Idea. I remember (as a Russian myself) hearing all the stories how Russia was harassed by mongols for centuries. Perhaps if you can remove one of the mountains by Hunic starting position, so they have some incentive to move East.

Historically in Ancient ages Russia was divided into several city states like Suzdal, Velikiy Novgorod, Tver and so on. They were constantly harassed by Vikings and Mongols. In fact the first dynasty or fullers in Russia (Rurikovichi) were in fact Vikings. I think of Riga as Teutonic order. And wish they were a militaristic CS, that would make sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Teutonic_Order_1260.png

I like how Viking are holding the passage way to the west. And I will tell you, Bluetooth is not willing to open his borders!!.

In my experience France, Denmark, Austria, England and Spain grow pretty uniformly, maintaining realistic borders, while Germany, Poland and Netherlands just slap a city far away.

I like how you thought about placing wheat east of Kiev, since that is historically the bread basket of that region.

If there is any way to cut the map a little, like the picture I have attached, I think would make perfect sense and motivate little more conflict.

p.s. Ohh you wanted to add 5 gold and dimond resoruces by Russia? ok fine, fine :)
p.s.#2- I kill the camps but they are just coming. I just think of them as barbarian vikings, and think that opening honor is not such a bad idea.

I have attached a new version including The Huns and the Mongols. The Huns start in the Carpathian Mountains and the Mongols start in Odessa. Budapest is now the new Odessa. I have increased the horse amount near Odessa, but did not change any other resources.

You can test the map, but I will not update the first post at the moment.

Another cutting will not lead to more aggression. The new BNW AI is just dumb. Also another cut, as you suggested, would cut a mayor part of Russias and Swedens strategic resources. Archangelsk is Archangelsk and could only be replaced by a similar city with historic significance, it can not be simply moved.

Also changing the Carpathian Mountains just for gameplay reasons is not the way I design those maps. If there is a hill, there should be a hill.

Please consider that you now use the Civ5 Default small map size while adding 14 Civs instead of 6 with 40% water.

Here is a general default map size info:

SMALL SIZED MAPS

MAP DIMENSIONS
Width (Tiles) = 66, Height (Tiles) = 42, Area (Tiles) =2772

MAP POPULATION
Default Civilizations = 6, Default City States = 12

CALCULATED DETAILS
City State Area (Tiles) = 444, Civilization (Tiles) = 388, Average Settlements per Civilization (Cities) = 10.48

Making the map even smaller while knowing these numbers is not logical.

Attachments

• EE v8 BNW North Western Europe2.Civ5Map
    91.4 KB · Views: 247
Great JOB!!!!

Love those maps. I think with Mongols and Huns there should be more motivation for Russia to grow to the north!!

Amazing maps. :goodjob:

I see your point on the map realism. I agree.

I have just finished a complete game on the mediterranean map, where I played as Portugal. I somehow managed to be friends with Rome for over 6000 Years, during the complete game. It was a very slow unfocused science victory though. There were basically two groups of friends, the middle eastern with: Persia, Babylon, Assyria, Arabia and the Ottomans. And the western group: with Rome, Carthage, Morrocco, Greece and Me. Our group was the first one to split, because of Carthage and Greece, being stupid and denouncing someone of the group. I used every possibility to denounce the one, which has just been denounced by someone else. This always gave me a diplo bonus with the others. Group denouncements are so funny.

After that I could wipe them out without a mayor diplo hit. Only the other group basically hated us all... But at some point all was breaking up, in the Middle East as well. As you can see in the screens there is a big battlefield between: Arabia, Babylon, Persia and the Ottomans, where Assyria has been by the end of the game. The map was also completely filled, except for some small spots in Africa and France, where nobody wanted to expand.

Attachments

• 1_small.jpg
    1_small.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 417
  • 2_small.jpg
    2_small.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 514
  • 3_small.jpg
    3_small.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 412
  • 6_small.jpg
    6_small.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 384
  • 5_small.jpg
    5_small.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 341
  • 4_small.jpg
    4_small.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 393
I am using North Europe now. (the version with the Huns and Mongols)
Huns amassed a huge army and invaded Poland early on. They saked Warsaw and killed off an entire Polish army. Then Coalition of Germany, Poland, Austria and Russia declared war on Attila and AI Germany actually liberated Polish city!!! WOW

Now its 1200AD, Sweeden attacked my Russian city and burned it to the ground.

So far a lot of action, a lot of politics and loads of fun.

Awesome job bro!!!!!!!

p.s. smaller map makes my MAC so happy it actually smiles
!!

I have an ignorant question. How to install these maps properly? Everytime I start game my civilization(no matter which) I am placed in North Africa, and other civilizations are located randomly. How to make it more realistic?

after you have your maps in the proper folder, go through MODS menue.
After that select the map with proper name and click Load Scenario button.
After that select your nation and difficulty level.

This is the most fun I have ever had with Civ5. Tell us how it works out.

I am still failing in getting a sub turn 300 BNW science win. This time I tried the southeastern Europe map and took Babylon. It obviously has its bonuses, but because the Persian gulf does not let you build sea trade routes to other civilizations, it is also a challenging start. So I only got turn 302 science win... But could have been better...

Attached is a pic, just before I got the final freedom policy to buy the last spaceship parts. I had to knock down Assyria and Ur after I teched Dynamite, to get my little coastal city up for trade routes and to get their coal resources for my factories.

How is the Northern Europe Game going?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 493
after you have your maps in the proper folder, go through MODS menue.
After that select the map with proper name and click Load Scenario button.
After that select your nation and difficulty level.

This is the most fun I have ever had with Civ5. Tell us how it works out.

and which mod i should pick in MODS menu?

and which mod i should pick in MODS menu?

Hi Treviss, you do not have to select mods, because this is not a mod, its only maps. You just have to go through the mod menu to be able to create a game with the map and use the "load szenario" button. The maps and the button are only available when you go through the mod menu to open your game.

I have attached a quick guide. Of course you can still select your leader and difficulty. The leaders are limited due to the ones available on the map.

Attachments

• menu-1.jpg
    menu-1.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 610
  • menu-2.jpg
    menu-2.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 533
  • menu-3.jpg
    menu-3.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 468
  • menu-4.jpg
    menu-4.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 1,157
oooh it was so easy! Thank You very much. I didn't notice that I can go through MODs without entering any mod. Cheers

I havent tried, but I guess you will not be able to use the right start locations.

Dumb minor question: does playing this disable achievements? You don't actually load up any mods, but you do load up a custom scenario, I guess, so I'm not too sure what the rules for that are. It doesn't matter much, just wondering :p

Awesome job by the way, this looks terrific

just seen this on your signature!!!

doubt my lappy can handle the 22 civ version, can you confirm theres no england in the 15 civ?

Im running the 15 civ epic europe map and I'm getting 0 barbarian spawns. No idea why.

Thanks for the maps, PDMX. I have taken liberty to use the 22 civ Europe for Deity challenge 31, as Portugal.

And I will try it again as Assyria for deity Domination (hope I can finish before turns take more than 20 min, ;) )

Is there any way to get CS names in diplo screen and in game to agree with names on the map?

Top Bottom