1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ExtraModMod

Discussion in 'More Naval AI Modmod' started by Terkhen, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Lamabreeder

Lamabreeder Chieftain

Thank you for the quick responses! So if I understand this correctly, the AI (including barbarians) is encouraged to build economically completely senseless cities due to military considerations. If there is a city, there will be city defenders - and the chokepoint is held. Bonus points for hindering foreign troops to pass when no open borders exist. At least I think I understand the reasoning now. I admire the idea as such, but...

Unfortunately the Ai often destroys much better city positions a few tiles before such a chokepoint. And I have seen civs build their second city there, even though there was an abundance of much better city sites (economically). I doubt that the setback of wasting your second city (or your third, or your fourth) for a completely unproductive site is worth the military bonus. And it is a setback: You pay higher maintainance for the city plus guards and delay the founding of a productive city with all the boni that entails. Like higher research which allows you to build better defenders to actually defend a chokepoint.

In a recent game I have seen the Ljosalfar take such a chokepoint city from the Sidar very early. I only saw Ljosalfar scouts.

The advantage of holding such a chokepoint is undeniable. There are three general possibilities: City, fort, nothing other than naked terrain modifiers (preferably within borders). I would go with a fort or with the naked terrain modifiers. The latter is actually even better than a fort, at least for a while - if you have to remove a forest to build the fort. In my estimation forts are not later available than when it would not hurt you overly much economically to waste a settler and money for increased city maintainance. And I love the super forts which you can even build outside your territory - the perfect solution for this situation.

Do I guess correctly when I guess that it would be really a lot of effort to implement a more direct "hold the chokepoint" behaviour (i.e. with troops in forts) than to simply raise the AI's urge to build winter sport resorts in tight mountain passes?

However you answer that question, I would say that the added value for city site selection for chokepoints is definitely too high.

2. lfgr

lfgr King

I think the AI is already quite good at building forts at chokepoints, but (I think) it will only move units to chokepoints when there is a city or fort there. Guarding these tiles without forts or cities is probably harder to implement; at least nothing I want to try anytime soon. I will look into the choke point valuation.

EDIT: Oh boy, you are right. They are settling every choke point they can get their hands on. I will fix this for the next version.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    DarkLunaPhantom likes this.
  3. Lamabreeder

Lamabreeder Chieftain

Thank you!

4. Jojo_Fr

Jojo_Fr Prince

A think I don't like in EMM : the fact that any fort built give you control of the ressource it's on.

It allows players to easily pseudo cities everywhere, like Kuriotates.

You can lots of strategics/luxuries ressources without the investement of a city (Settler + Securisation and culture).

It's so easy now.

5. Jojo_Fr

Jojo_Fr Prince

Hi.
    I am fully unable to play EMM in multi. No idea why.
    Every other players can.
    We have same files. Same files weight.
    Same installation process. I writted it myself here : https://docs.google.com/document/d/16wU12W73cDvCiXiBfSSaiRdi08WNCJvESS78X_nfSsI/edit

We played tons of time without any problem, few yeras ago with Tasunke, Dogan, others players. Now it's impossible.
    Tryed to uninstall my steam verison and reinstall a CD version. Failed too.
    Tried to remove Prolifes Users folder. Failed.
    I tried to load my mod only by the Game Menu, not by shortcut executable. Failed.

I CAN play FFH2 without EMM in multi. I see the game in zulan lobby. I can connect by direct IP.
    But any game with EMM files, make me impossible to see/join any game, or to be seen by any players in lobby.

I would like some help here, if it's possible. :(

6. lfgr

lfgr King

Sorry, but I can't really help with multiplayer issues. It seems you already checked that you have the same mod version. It's weird that FfH does work and EMM doesn't; you could always try older versions of EMM, if you're able to pinpoint your problem to some specific version I'm happy to look into it.

7. Jojo_Fr

Jojo_Fr Prince

Ok thanks.

8. swapoer

swapoer Warlord

You can disable advanced tactics when starting a game. It is in the bottom of the list.

Advanced Tactics

This option incorporates various game-related tweaks that I thought would provide a different and interesting FFH experience
    Players can pillage their own roads
    Pillaging sometimes grants experience
    Bombarding sometimes grants experience
    All units have an inherent withdrawal chance
    Mech units can be captured as a result of battle (code adopted from the War Prizes modcomp by mechaerik)
    Great Generals generated from combat with other civs
    Advanced Diplomacy (adapted from Advanced Diplomacy by Afforess)
    Super Forts - (adapted from Red Key's Super Forts mod (by Red Key))