Factories/Stadiums (etc) yields no longer stack across multiple cities - New Strategies?

I don't think it affects Entertainment zones at all really, 1 well placed Colloseum deals with your ameneties for pretty much the entire game and the AI has never built it before me in any game. It might become important if they nerf that wonder

It doesn't look like the Colosseum has been impacted in any way.
It's quite a bit how much you were able to grow each city specific:

For those who previously built one EZ (or none at all) : then this part of the patch had no impact.
For those who previously built exactly 2 EZ and maxed them out : Basically post patch it relocates where the second one should be located.
For those who previously built 3 or 4 EZ and maxed those out, there is a high chance that due to no longer being able to have the same city benefit from multiple EZs that the overall number of amenities provided has been cut. To support the same cities at the same population without any new luxuries/ other sources of amenities, it would require an additional EZ or two compared to before.

Okay, first I have to say, that I didnt have the time to play Civ 6 lately, so I missed both patches yet. But that change is HUGE! In one game I went with Japan to max out there unique building and getting big amounts of production. Now I will be forced to get as many CH as possible and putting IZ in the best local spot and just so, that it will reach at least another city, not as many as possible anymore. But just cutting the stacking effect of multiple factories/power plants and zoos/stadiums looks like a weak decision to me. It would have been more amazing, if only one bonus would apply, but somehow the adjacent bonus of the IZ with the factory providing additional bonus. Something like one IZ with +3 production, so the factory provides its +3 production and maybe the +3 production of its IZ or just half of it. So it would be at least important to place a (very) good IZ on a spot, but now...

Yeah, but IZ are still important like already said, you still need production, the GE points are still very important and it increases internal trade route outputs by +1 production anyway. Manly it just looks to me, that cities will now be more spread out, because there is no need anymore to get as many city centers in a 6 tile range of some spot as possible. And yeah, times of Torronto being one of the most important City States seems to be gone now ...

Manly it just looks to me, that cities will now be more spread out, because there is no need anymore to get as many city centers in a 6 tile range of some spot as possible. And yeah, times of Torronto being one of the most important City States seems to be gone now ...

City stacking for me won't stop. I think we'll have city clusters around IZs and ECs.
Or maybe it'll stay the same, but IZ's will be built in a chain; the first city (mostly your capital) will build a Factory, which will help build the second one, and so on.

I have been playing various games now since the patch, and here is what I have determined:

1. Commercial zones and harbors are still needed everywhere for trade routes. However, placement is more important than ever (see below)
2. Internal trade routes are now superior in every way due to production being scarcer. Yes international routes give more gold, but gold is not as big of an issue as production.
3. Most cities will still have an indy zone, but it is not a 100% thing like it use to be.

4. Placement of industrial zones is now more important that ensuring maximum overlap. Because the base district itself, its adjacency bonuses, and the workshop still count for local production, it is better to place an indy zone where it makes the most sense for its own city rather than worrying about overlap. You can plug factories in the necessary zones to achieve overlap as needed.

5. Germany should place its commercial hubs next to Hansas regardless of river availability for the bonus.
6. Amenities are harder to come by now in the late game.
7. Production in general is much slower late game. Due to science being so easy to fly through, there is an even bigger imbalance due to producing units and them becoming obsolete. This also makes districts so much harder to build late game due to low production.

8. Germany is still king. The half price hansa makes up for increasing production costs. It also has much more flexibility for adjacency bonuses due to being next to resources instead of mines.

If I'm reading this right... If I have two cities whose outer (third) rings touch, then placing a district (IZ for instance) in that outer ring would give the benefit to both cities? Or just the one who built it? I'm a little confused.

under the new patch rules, is there a benefit to the other city if I build in any of the gold hexes or the blue dotted hexes?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2f67o0oouqg33tx/IMG_0252.JPG?dl=0

Last edited:
I feel like the entertainment district nerf was perhaps less called for. It's just another nerf to tall in a game where wide is already the better option. The industrial zone nerfs are welcome, but perhaps were too much, an industrial zones own buildings should still provide local production, but be limited in receiving the bonus production from a single neighboring city.

All in all, this change just makes commerce hubs and harbour districts even more necessary, it also further detracts from international trade routes as they don't offer production.

If I'm reading this right... If I have two cities whose outer (third) rings touch, then placing a district (IZ for instance) in that outer ring would give the benefit to both cities? Or just the one who built it? I'm a little confused.

under the new patch rules, is there a benefit to the other city if I build in any of the gold hexes or the blue dotted hexes?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2f67o0oouqg33tx/IMG_0252.JPG?dl=0

Some buildings have a 6 tile catchment and some don't, only those that do will benefit another city within range. What the winter patch says is that a city will now only receive yields from one of each type of building.

When your city makes 15 cogs, getting another 5 cogs from a trade route is a very good 25% increase.
When your city makes 100 cogs, getting another 5 cogs from a trade route is a 5% increase
International trade routes have uses and cards help.

To me more pressure has now been placed on finding the production CS and getting 6 envoys in them. It is even worth saving your envoys for this.

+4 production * # of production CS is an awful lot to apply to each IZ.

The patch implications are that IZ are not so OP. They are still required and still should be raced for and locked down. You just need to go a little wider or taller.
I suspect they nerfed amenities because this will make it harder to win on Deity.

I find that more than 3-4 IZ`s to cover every city and get some heurekas are not worth the investment. To me the patch made internal traderoutes even stronger and now it actually is useful to improve some tiles other than mines. Only exception is Germany due to Hansa and UA.
At least when playing for SV, the reduced spaceship costs almost made up for the much lower endgame production. The other victory conditions were never about huge amounts of production anyway.

IZs are still not bad. It's free production you don't need to spend population or trade route slots on. +3 from adjacency turns into +9 with the policy card and workshop. And it's the only way to get Great Engineers. I still build them in most cities, just not as early as before the patch. This has been a good change and led to more diverse playstyles IMO.

Top Bottom