Fair PTW Map Set

dharms

Chieftain
I have talked about having multiplayer PTW maps for a specific number of people ensureing a fair start. I have attached a set of such maps. Some have been posted, some are new, and I included Konig Etzel's 8 player map too, (thank you.)

The general idea to all these maps is simple. Good start locations for everyone! Not in floodplain, jungle, or desert. Strategic resources within reach for all, but not in the first city. Basically even to bring out the skill and strategy of the game. Capitols are enough apart or with barriers that the Aztec and Zulu can’t rush you before you can defend. Mountains and jungle are not so dense that Egypt’s War Chariots are impotent. And I try to provide enough land for healthy expansion, but if you just keep to yourself, just defend and never take a chance, you probably won’t win.

I would like to distinguish between a map and a gameboard. The latter is not meant to be to be geologically or climatically correct. A gameboard’s main purpose is to accomplish a purpose. In this case fair and fun multiplayer games. If it can be accurate or pretty – great!

So I have packaged up a set. Again, the idea is to come out of the mp lobby a certain number of players and pick the map that yields the best game for that number. Playing with more or less than the number of players recommended will result in a less than a fair situation for some. Two players (1 vs 1) will work fine for almost any of these games though. Just big maps and long games.

Just a map or gameboard, no rule changes!

Please Enjoy!
Dave (Thumpper)

One download for all maps and a readme for all!
Such a deal!

Attachments

• fair ptw map set.zip
    52.9 KB · Views: 130
I don't get to play that often anymore and when I get a 3-4 hour window of opportunity - I get all excited.

It kills me (sometimes literally) when I start a game to find out that I am pinned out on a tiny peninsula by the zulus who have the whole continent behind them! Or I pick Egypt to be dropped in the jungle that separates two civs with good land! What's up with that? And since I often play ladder games, I can't just quit as others do. So 3 hours of punishment and begging people not to kill me! Is this fun or what?

Something Infogrames needs to work on more. To check the number of players and generate a map with a similar start positions, separating distances, and land for each. It doesn't have to be micro-managed as I have, but give everyone a chance at least.

I have micro-managed a bit to make sure things are fair, but believe it or not on times playing and testing some have complained, "He got silks (+3 commerce) and I only got spices (+2) - No fair!"
I assure everyone that compared to the random map generator these maps are unbelievably fair.

I would like feedback - or better yet... competition at better, playable multiplayer maps!

Dave (Thumpper)

Top Bottom