Fall from heaven strategies and tips

CurtisC

Chieftain
Bear with me, this is my first guide at all, and it is really unorthodox. I've had a really hard time with linearity so I may soon update/rewrite this whole thing. I hope I don't offend anyone by placing this in the wrong section.

Fall from heaven is an excellent fantasy mod created by Kael et al. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=148075

I've beat a few FfH games (0.90 or higher) on emperor, without any cheats. Most games have been played on Ice age, a normal world, or highlands (w/ seas). Normally I play with Agressive AI. Raging barbarians are fun, but they will eventually run out, and create a really wierd feel in the game. I thought I could share my stategies for these, and just get a general discussion going.

I've had two main strategies for winning in FfH, either going with an aggressive leader or with a financial leader. All of the leaders I start with have at least mining, or, if financial, agriculture (obviously Kargoth is one of the best for these strategies). I initially research animal husbandry (esp. if I have meat resources available), and then go straight for bronzeworking. The first units I produce are scouts, until I get my population up to 3, then I produce a worker, and begin building warriors, at least 3.

Send two warriors w/ your worker to protect him as he makes improvements.

Once you have discovered bronze working it is time for some decisions:

Bronze
If I can find bronze at all I'll start building a barracks (and/or a settler to harvest the resource). If I find bronze in a rival civs territory I pump out a training lodge, warriors and go to war. Don't worry, this is FfH, they will never have axeman at this stage, with six warriors with at least one promotion (go 50/50 combat 1 (then shock) and city attack), should be able to roll over any civ's city at this point.

No Bronze
If there is no bronze then I immediately try to exploit as many commerce generating tiles as possible, or if none are avail cottage spam along your rivers like mad, even at a severe cost to production/food. Go straight for philosophy, try to get runes of Kilmorph then dwarven mining then start a city on building the Mines world wonder. In the interim get to Iron working. Missing being the first to discover philosophy is an especially hard blow in this situation. You can still found Runes of Kilmorph, most likely, but you will be severly lagging in techs for a long time afterwords.

Promotions
With your scouts, try to keep them alive, give them combat 1 and then animal handling asap. Send your captured wolves and other beasties back to your home city and send them out with settlers, for after you build carnivals.

Once you have secured a source of bronze or iron pump out at least 1 axeman for every city you have and 4 more for guarding your improvements. Give the extra (non-city defense) axemem the movement promotion, and set them to work to killing barbs left and right (if you have any warriors left over w/ high numbers of promotions go ahead and promote these).

Soon you will have axemen with 60ish exp points, level eight or nine. After giving them +2 movement, you will want to give several +150% city attack, and +100% str. If you have a neighbor who goes Octopus Overlords you need to give them the Demonic promotion ASAP.

Build your empire natually, forrest rushing a few wonders if you can come close, and work on getting Feral bond and Rage as your first high level techs. Build the baron (if you really push for him you should be able to get him out before most civs have many tier 3 units) and promote your souped up axemen to macemen and then berserkers. After researching rage go for priesthood then flurry or shield wall.

[edit . . . um needs to be reworked, will fill in soon, sorry]

Start declaring war on your neighbors and taking their cities quickly with the berserkers and greaterwerewolves, fortify your stacks with ravenous werewolves and stonewardens and (once you get them) shield walls. In general I try to keep any city over 12 pop and any with world wonders built in them, the rest burn.

After this, you should be able to destroy all of the civs in the world without the use of seige weapons.

Maybe you should have a strat for each type of playstyle or at least each religeon that you want to aim for. Personally I always rush for octopus overlords and start pumping out drown then aim for mages and conjurers. Sometimes I almost have arcane lore before i even bother with bronze working. While another friend of mine has a particular strategy for always trying to get Fellowship of Leaves.

I like going for Runes of Kilmorph, get me lots of cash. Then spread it everywhere. Since I take a lot of time spreading my religion, my miliary is usually weak (although I do try to get a lot of world units). I unleash Apocalypse and the other 2 wonders like that, kind of gives me a fresh start. Then I let my infastructure rebuild quickly, while focusing on my army this time since religion is spread everywhere. Then I crush everyone. This is in a game though where I didn't have any victory options except conquest, and domination. I imagine I would go about it differently otherwise; this was a long, enjoyable game.

I found that once you have the tile-improvement techs, it's a pretty quick tech run to being able to build Conjurers. You'll pick up some religion along the way and be able to build temples to make bodyguards. They're all about the same (S5-7, frequently Medic promotion). A few of those to guard a stack of Conjurers, and send wave after wave of fire elementals at your target.

Who needs siege weapons, anyway?

This is actually really helpful to read the strategy's you guys use and how you play as we work on phase 2. Thanks for doing this CurtisC!

I like random civs, and most map features random, usually pangea or great plains, though that one has a few missing resources.
Start with a scout and warrior, then maybe worker-settler, depending on capital location.
I more or less let terrain and circumstance dictate my strategies. If near the coast, I go for octopus overlords, near forest, elves, if near many hills, runes, if those get taken, then one of the others.
Get bronze working soon, then get a settler over there. If there's no metal, research animal husbandry, then go for horses. If none, then go to archery.
Meanwhile, pick some fights, either with a civ in your way, or a barb city. Upgrade your warriors when they have 3-4 promotions. You can get an archer with city attack this way, btw. Upgrade scouts if they survive, mine rarely do.

Then I'll go for iron working and some type of mage, probably, then shoot for a promotion for my best units--if I have high level archers, I'll get Celerity, axemen, then rage, horses, well, don't have horses much. Balon whatisname is great, but I usually forget about him until its too late.

Kael said:
This is actually really helpful to read the strategy's you guys use and how you play as we work on phase 2. Thanks for doing this CurtisC!

Yes, anything to help the greatest mod ever.

I usual rush for Ferral Bond and build the Baron as fast as possible. If I can get him out while the neighboring civs are still relatively weak, he can rush in with a few lieutenants (I usually use rangers, or any tier 4 units tha I have developed such as Beastmasters or Berserkers) and dominate easily. The added benefit to attacking with the Baron is that he produces a new wearwolf unit for free everytime he kills an enemy unit.

This strategy works especially well with arch mages for support and the blitz and city attak III upgrade on the Baron. Have three arghmages (archmagi?) cast their meteor spell. Use the meteors to bombard each city and soften up the defenders. Have the Baron attack three or more times if possible to create the maximum number of wearwolves. I have found that if the Baron is in a stack with a lot of supporting units he does not produce a wearwolf all the time. For this reason I often have the Baron attack from a separate tile with one or two supporitng units to ensure that he does not get killed off in a counter attack. For supporting units I like to stack more wearwolves so that each time they defeat an enemy they are upgraded and/or produce another free wearwolf unit!

Mesix said:
I usual rush for Ferral Bond and build the Baron as fast as possible. If I can get him out while the neighboring civs are still relatively weak, he can rush in with a few lieutenants (I usually use rangers, or any tier 4 units tha I have developed such as Beastmasters or Berserkers) and dominate easily. The added benefit to attacking with the Baron is that he produces a new wearwolf unit for free everytime he kills an enemy unit.

This strategy works especially well with arch mages for support and the blitz and city attak III upgrade on the Baron. Have three arghmages (archmagi?) cast their meteor spell. Use the meteors to bombard each city and soften up the defenders. Have the Baron attack three or more times if possible to create the maximum number of wearwolves. I have found that if the Baron is in a stack with a lot of supporting units he does not produce a wearwolf all the time. For this reason I often have the Baron attack from a separate tile with one or two supporitng units to ensure that he does not get killed off. For supporting units I like to stack more wearwolves so that each time they defeat an enemy they are upgraded and/or produce another free wearwolf unit!

I use this myself to. The combination destroys AI cities, and you bring in the werewolves. The only problem is it leaves the Archmagi somewhat vulnerable, but aren't they always?

Stack the archmagi with additional units that have a strong defensive value. If the AI counterattacks your stronger units should defend well. The range of the meteors should also allow you to attack before you are within range of an effective counterattack.

CurtisC said:
Promotions
With your scouts, try to keep them alive, give them combat 1 and then animal handling asap. Send your captured wolves and other beasties back to your home city and send them out with settlers, for after you build carnivals.

I'm not sure about this, I do send my settlers out with my wolves & other animals as they are cheap defence, but after I found my city I build a warrior, then I use the animals to put on a show (eg Lion cage). I find this the cheapest and easiest way to start generating culture, as it's free, so you can spend time on getting different city improvements

Personally, I think the Hero promotion may be overpowered.

In one game, I pumped out an early Hero (Bambur, maybe?), stuck him in a stack of medics (whichever religious unit I was able to build) and proceeded to romp across the board. City Attack straight through to III in no time, then Cover because the primary defenders were archers, plenty of time to pick up Shock before facing axemen, then combat I-V before it was over. Somewhere in there I picked up March and was able to heal totally between cities without stopping.

It was pretty sick that a stack of 4 units or so was able to wipe out 2 civs and the biggest thing slowing them down was that I misjudged the effectiveness and couldn't build follow-on units to garrison the cities as fast as I was taking them.

On Temples: in my last game I beelined for Octopus Overlords ("OO"). Then later when I got the tech that allowed cultists it was far easier to pound out cultists and send them to other OO cities to found Temples than it was to build Temples in the respective cities. IIRC, it also costs less hammers to do it that way, but even if not, it's a nice way to transfer hammers from your production city to a non-production city. So...

Spread religion to production city -> build temple -> build missionaries and spread religion while researching tech for Cultists -> send Cultists to put temples in every city.

Every city will then have good culture production and the ability to build all the temple-related units, which at the time they are available seem to be some of the best in the game. And, obviously, if you have the holy city/shrine, you get all the added income from converting cities.

Incidentally, what is the mechanism for capturing slaves?

In my last game, I ended up capturing probably a dozen slaves. By that point I already had most of my development done and was capturing cities that had developed land, so I had no use for them. But I'm thinking that there might be a strategy to build around going to war early to capture workers and slaves.

cabert said:
you guys seem to have a lot of fun with this mod!
i will try it out when i get time.

Yes, try it out, just be prepared for some active barbarians.

Does anyone else out there think that the Mythril Golem is too underpowered for his cost?

tombeef said:
Does anyone else out there think that the Mythril Golem is too underpowered for his cost?

Definitely not. First off like any hero, stomping it around alone like its invincible isnt the best choice. If you make a mithril golem attack force consisting of a couple of iron golems also for when the mithril golems health gets low, maybe an adept for the haste bonus and also a medic or two he is extremely powerful. His power is 40!!! Thats like 3 times more powerful then the next standard unit you can build in the game. Also remember combat in version 1.52 works a bit differently than 1.0 (from what they say). Apparently in civ 1.0 if your golem got down to 10 health he would fight as if he was a creature with a 10 attack power. But now he still fights with the 40 attack power even if hes at 1 health,,, so he stays strong till the end.

chocmushroom said:
I'm not sure about this, I do send my settlers out with my wolves & other animals as they are cheap defence, but after I found my city I build a warrior, then I use the animals to put on a show (eg Lion cage). I find this the cheapest and easiest way to start generating culture, as it's free, so you can spend time on getting different city improvements

Except for bears none of the animal buildings are supposed to be able to be built before you build a carnival. Hopefully this will be fixed in 1.0, but in the interim I just wait until I build a carnival. Same thing goes with researching the religion specific techs (although I have been known to to switch to fellowship of leaves for a few turns to research hidden paths).

Otherwise, the animal units render Creative traits absolutely useless.

Speaking of which, shouldn't creative get a bonus on building carnival?

Top Bottom