1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Fall Patch" announced

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Pouakai, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShinQuickMan

ShinQuickMan Chieftain

A painful, but necessary change. Gatling Guns having the highest combat strength (both melee and ranged) of land units for their era made them far too useful in both offense and defense. And those extra tech requirements towards ballistics gives the earliest jump towards Machine Guns and, more importantly, the Information Era, an additional 15-30 turns.

2. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

Me too. Nice patch if the AI can really hurt us more when warring(pillage included!)

3. Selous

Selous King

thank you, love it, along with everything else

4. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

@ Tabarnak
    Your avatar is just...just....nice. :twitch:

5. Loucypher

Loucypher King

This is a painful nerf to the Dutch. The Sea Beggar was king of the seas - in removing its 100% capture rate, the Dutch Armada won't be as feared anymore.
    Ottomans look most affected by all these changes, both positive (pillaging) and negative (stealing ships, jannisary).

6. Jerman

Jerman Would you like a Trade Agreement?

Balance Changes? They just made the Austrian UA Useless.

7. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

No, they just made it so it's fun for everyone else in the game that Austria is in. ;)

8. ense7en

ense7en n7

Wow nice, this looks like a fantastic patch!

9. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Fixes most things people would have liked looked at. I would have liked minor changes to iron though - reveal it at Bronze Working (it's the only strategic resource in the game that isn't, or can't be, revealed before the first units that need it become available, beyond which it's just conceptually odd that you can learn how to work the stuff before you've even learned how to recognise it), and require it for cannon.

10. Yabby69

Yabby69 Chieftain

+1 thanks for raising this issue again.

Good patch by the sounds of things but very disappointed that the "city center yield not added" bug is still being ignored (it was reported by me along with several others more than 6 months and at least two prior patches ago in the known bugs forum)

11. AxelRhodd

AxelRhodd Warlord

So far the pillaging issue is getting most of the attention here and I want to add another aspect to it:

AI choosing to pillage may give the human player extra 1-2 turns to rush build defensive units in the attacked city or move extra units from other parts of the map to assist in defense.

This was the case in CIV where on occasion I would be able to save my cities thanks to the slight delay in AI advancement.

This means that improving tiles in outermost city rings becomes a strategic decision also...

It all depends on AI prioritizing pillaging over city attack though

12. pensivepeppers

pensivepeppers Chieftain

no, Austria was a crazy runaway when it got the gold to buy at least one CS, hopefully now it will be more fun to play as and against :)

Personally, it seems like a pretty big improvement and I'm glad!

13. Rooftrellen

Rooftrellen King

Austria will be a bit weaker now, but just a bit. More than anything this simply added a counter to her buying off CS royalty with a cute girl or handsome guy and a wedding gown. I think it was more a response to the coup change than it was to Austria being too strong.

However, she will be MORE disruptive. After the patch, she will have the ability to remove CS's from the game, like before, but also luxuries. With porcelain and jewelry going away when a major civ takes the CS, and Austria's ability to make a CS a part of their empire, from which they may never be liberated, any lux under a mercantile CS will disappear forever once she grabs them.

14. Tavenier

Tavenier King

Am so glad about the regenerate map thing. So happy!
    Love to see how all the other things will work out.

15. Selous

Selous King

cant you just liberate the CS? or am i missing something? :crazyeye:

loving the new patch, cant wait for it to be released

16. JanghanHong

JanghanHong Enrico Trololo

Austrian Marriages ARE FOREVER.

17. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

I noticed that one
    What are these?
    Good, I was feeling the loss during long sieges.
    Well good, but I've never had a lot of air combat anyway. Seems like the AI gives up on it if you get the upper hand
    :yeah: I never did much sending of mounted units behind the lines because cities would just bombard them repeatedly and I'd lose the unit just to pillage a tile or two. Now they'll be somewhat self sustaining by doing that. New strategy!

• If Austria is still overpowered they could include the sale price of buildings. Although you're less likely to scrap buildings.
      I have sever seen a city state with that many units.
      But what does it do exactly? Flat increase or population based?
      Good. I've tried to take cities and then give them back as part of a peace deal but it never worked that way. Maybe now it will although before the problem was more that they didn't seem to realize they weren't winning so I was never going to give up several cities when I could hold them off indefinitely.
      This will make the AI seem more alive and active.
      I think these are the 83 gold and 5 per turn deals I keep making after they refuse.
      Yeah I was sick of having to pick sides just because someone shook there fist in anger at a CS but did nothing real.
      Good, although the vs. cities ones are still useless for them. Unless they help with defense against the cities ranged attack. I've wondered if the land melee units vs. city bonus worked on defense too, but I don't think it does.
      I've won battleships with privateers before I could build them myself but I guess that's over now. This is probably so the Ottomans can't just double their navy after one war.
      With this and the healing thing I'll now build improvements on the side of the city away from the boarder first.
      I was holding off playing as Korea because of this.
      Maybe I'll see those air wars I've wanted now.
      I saw some pretty tightly packed cities in India in my last game.
      In my last game going for a tall empire I saw large unsettled islands and wished I wasn't already comited to tall because the AI was just leaving me so much I would take but can't.
      That had irritated me when it worked so hard to get to a sheep I can't use.
      Maybe now I won't see empires who've lost there capital and now have their capital in a puppet city.

I like to imagine the vikings stealing beer and large turkey legs from villages as they burn it down.

This guy does it pretty well:

18. Jerman

Jerman Would you like a Trade Agreement?

Ok I never experienced that. Its annoying (just look at Japans UA you dont see anyone B****ing at that) Also America is so under powered.

19. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

I don't see how this relates specifically to the Dutch. The Sea Begger gets an extra coastal raider and supply promotion. They were no better at capturing ships than standard privateers.

20. Tavenier

Tavenier King

What do they mean with that RA overflow? I dont get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.