• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Fall patch

Also, while I'm dreaming, I'd like to see:
the ability to see the pointiest sticks popup any time. I don't know why this only comes up randomly? Either don't show it all and only have the demographics screen if it's for balance reasons, or let me see it whenever.

the ability to see available trade routes if a city were to build a harbor/caravansary/had the compass range bonus (without needing compass/horseback riding). This would be a nice UI addition without having to manually count squares to figure out whether it's worth going for compass at a given time.

upgrade costs for units in the civilopedia. This would be a very easy fix, and it would be very helpful.

the ability to see the pointiest sticks popup any time. I don't know why this only comes up randomly? Either don't show it all and only have the demographics screen if it's for balance reasons, or let me see it whenever.
While you can't get the exact pointy stick numbers (although really, what do those correlate with, anyway?), you can always get a sense of relative military strength by checking what the military adviser says. He'll go through every known civ and comment on your strength relative to theirs. It's basically the only useful thing about the adviser panel.

I would like to see something like this as the way things are right now it's usually the human and perhaps one runaway AI in control of all the CSs. Everyone else gets nothing.

Various ways to make every civ have a chance of getting a few CSs/number of delegates that matter:
  • Distance to your capital could potentially affect how much influence your gold buys or how fast it drops.
  • You're limited to the amount of gold you can gift to a CS by a few turns similar to how you can't gift several units via the 'send gift' options.
  • Gold given should be in GPT and not lump sums. Influence should build up slowly to counter the 'nuke all CSs with your 10000 gold 1 turn prior to the vote' tactic.
  • Perhaps trading with a CS that currently has another ally should decrease their influence (but not increase yours unless you have the freedom policies).

This would make a diplomatic victory somewhat more difficult rather than a victory that you just stumble into.
This is maybe too much of an overhaul, but here's what I'd like to see:

* At some point - after a few civs have ideologies, most likely, but long before a cultural victory is on the table - all of the city-states adopt ideologies. They try to adopt the ideology of their ally if possible, but prioritize dividing as evenly as possible between the three ideologies. (So if there are 12 City-states standing, four will adopt each ideology.)
* Once a city-state has an ideology, it becomes much easier for civs that share that ideology to build influence with it. Influence decays slower, and gifts and quests give bigger rewards. Civs that don't share an ideology (including ones that haven't adopted one, although maybe their penalty can be smaller) suffer from greatly increased rates of influence decay and smaller boosts from quests or gifts.
* If you manage to maintain a positive relationship with a city-state for a long time in spite of the penalties, they eventually switch to your ideology.

What this should do is make it much, much harder for a single civ to trivially control all of the city-states, since 2/3 of them will be much harder to get your hands on than is currently the case, and much easier for your competitors to get their hands on. Additionally, it creates incremental mini-goals (flipping city-state ideologies) that make a diplomatic victory something you actually work towards, instead of something you kind of slough into once it comes up.

I wonder if they will be a few more wonders,

maybe

Cure for Cancer - +10 happiness
Womans Sufferage -10 unhappyness

I remember these in the old civs.

More debates.

* At some point - after a few civs have ideologies, most likely, but long before a cultural victory is on the table - all of the city-states adopt ideologies. They try to adopt the ideology of their ally if possible, but prioritize dividing as evenly as possible between the three ideologies. (So if there are 12 City-states standing, four will adopt each ideology.)
* Once a city-state has an ideology, it becomes much easier for civs that share that ideology to build influence with it. Influence decays slower, and gifts and quests give bigger rewards. Civs that don't share an ideology (including ones that haven't adopted one, although maybe their penalty can be smaller) suffer from greatly increased rates of influence decay and smaller boosts from quests or gifts.
* If you manage to maintain a positive relationship with a city-state for a long time in spite of the penalties, they eventually switch to your ideology.

What this should do is make it much, much harder for a single civ to trivially control all of the city-states, since 2/3 of them will be much harder to get your hands on than is currently the case, and much easier for your competitors to get their hands on. Additionally, it creates incremental mini-goals (flipping city-state ideologies) that make a diplomatic victory something you actually work towards, instead of something you kind of slough into once it comes up.

* Shameless self promotion *
I suggested something along these lines in the suggestions forum, but it turns out people don't like responding to walls of text. I really like the idea of city states having ideologies which give relations penalties if they don't match yours, you just need ways to influence them. (Spies, threats, cash, the usual)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=502211

I have a few suggestions for the new patch.

Buff Great Admiral:

Allow the construction of a ocean outpost, this outpost will act like a citadel, it would convert the first ring of OCEAN ONLY tiles and provide a boost to defense to the ship ending it's turn in the outpost. The newly acquired tiles would allow you to upgrade your ships or heal as it is friendly territory.

I would be happy if they just gave it +2 movement speed without needing social policy for it, and made it so that doing the repair doesn't kill it(you could still only do it once though).

One UI improvement I want to see in the Fall patch is improved Civ selection tooltips. Everytime I start a new game I have Civ 5 wiki open because the ingame screen is just useless. How hard can it be to finally have proper tooltips for the UUs and UBs? Probably not very considering there is even a mod on Steamworks already that does just that. :sad:

:goodjob:

wow this would be a really good implementation
:goodjob:

The top priority in the patch should be to fix broken AI and achievements. Add more game options to the start menu to allow for variations in game play. City states need more independent abilities like adopting ideologies, religions, and voting in the WC if they are not allied with any civ.
Adding more civs should wait until civ6.

The top priority in the patch should be to fix broken AI and achievements. Add more game options to the start menu to allow for variations in game play. City states need more independent abilities like adopting ideologies, religions, and voting in the WC if they are not allied with any civ.

Agree but maybe Firaxis could throw in a couple of civs here and there like Sumer or the Hittite Empire

Agree but maybe Firaxis could throw in a couple of civs here and there like Sumer or the Hittite Empire

That would not be in a patch (new units/buildings... but not new civs)

* Shameless self promotion *
I suggested something along these lines in the suggestions forum, but it turns out people don't like responding to walls of text. I really like the idea of city states having ideologies which give relations penalties if they don't match yours, you just need ways to influence them. (Spies, threats, cash, the usual)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=502211

I also think that would be good, and a nice fix for the coup system

CS adopt random ideologies,

Coup->(CS of a different Ideology only) Takes 30 influence from the current ally, gives you 30 influence more.. changes CS ideology to yours... 15 influence lost for all civs of previous ideology, 10 influence gained for all civs of new Ideology
(coup chance of success would still be the same based on your difference from the current ally)

CS with an Ideology that are not yours have a 20-40% penalty to influence from gifts ?and quests?

I have a suggestion for the Fall Patch, but I don't know how complex it would be in terms of coding:

Give us an option to sort the Civilization list by Civ Name rather than Leader Name.

In my previous game, I wanted to play as Poland but I couldn't for the life of me remember what the Leader's name was ("I think it starts with an S . . . or maybe a T . . . nope, no Poland under the S & T Leaders.") I had to scroll through the list manually until I got to Casmir ("Oh, that's right! That does sound vaguely familiar."), but unfortunatly I started at the bottom (since I was conviced it started with an S or a T), so it took a while to find him.

I have a suggestion for the Fall Patch, but I don't know how complex it would be in terms of coding:

Give us an option to sort the Civilization list by Civ Name rather than Leader Name.

In my previous game, I wanted to play as Poland but I couldn't for the life of me remember what the Leader's name was ("I think it starts with an S . . . or maybe a T . . . nope, no Poland under the S & T Leaders.") I had to scroll through the list manually until I got to Casmir ("Oh, that's right! That does sound vaguely familiar."), but unfortunatly I started at the bottom (since I was conviced it started with an S or a T), so it took a while to find him.

Also, along the lines of this they should have a random by expansion option. So when BNW came out you could play as a random civ with the 9 BNW civs.

I also find it strange that the civs in the selection list are arranged by leader. It would make sense if they had been planning to have more than one leader per civ. I'm not roleplaying as the named leader. I'm me leading the civ as it was never led before.

They also have the scoreboard listed by leader as well. This makes a little more sense, as it would have the human players' names in multiplayer.

I figure it's just the legacy of Jon Shafer's original design. A little weird and annoying, but not a big problem, ultimately.

Right now, there is no viable religion heavy strategy for a tall civ. All Faith buy costs are the same regardless of number of cities. This means the good reformation beliefs like buying great people or universities need a wide empire to shine as you want to be producing as much faith as possible.

Faith purchases should have a similar scaling factor to cultural policies and research costs. This would allow tall empires to actually compete in having a religion focused strategy.

Another way to do this would be to have temple and shrines produce more faith as the city grows, just as a library does. And perhaps add some percentage increase type buildings for faith just like gold, science, and culture all have, but faith does not.

YES! Goodness yes! Seriously...shouldn't be hard. Come on Firaxis...I know more than 90% of you can do a bubble sort!

Right now, there is no viable religion heavy strategy for a tall civ. All Faith buy costs are the same regardless of number of cities. This means the good reformation beliefs like buying great people or universities need a wide empire to shine as you want to be producing as much faith as possible.

Faith purchases should have a similar scaling factor to cultural policies and research costs. This would allow tall empires to actually compete in having a religion focused strategy.

Another way to do this would be to have temple and shrines produce more faith as the city grows, just as a library does. And perhaps add some percentage increase type buildings for faith just like gold, science, and culture all have, but faith does not.

Religion heavy policies for a tall civ assume that you are taking pilgrimage.

Your civ doesn't need to be wide, just your religion.

Also you can get ~2 extra cities worth of faith (5 for city, 8 for Grand Temple) in the National Wonder.

Religion heavy policies for a tall civ assume that you are taking pilgrimage.

Your civ doesn't need to be wide, just your religion.

Also you can get ~2 extra cities worth of faith (5 for city, 8 for Grand Temple) in the National Wonder.

Pilgrimage seems very weak compared to going wide (not to mention you can do both, wide and pilgrims). For wide, each additional city as a base you are getting at least +3 faith for shrine and temple, assuming you're not playing ethiopia and then it's +5 with the stele also on there. If you really care about generating faith then you should also have one or two of the buildings as part of your beliefs which raises Faith per city by another +3 to +5, or more if you're Byzantium and you get three buildings. Also, you get another +2 faith per city from Organized Religion.

This per city faith is also the kind you don't have to fight invading missionaries over. You'll have that faith to buy what you want no matter what. Pilgrimage faith you'll often have to spend faith to maintain when the cities you convert get converted back by to their infidel ways by other civs. Hence, not really seeing how pilgrimage really makes tall very viable over wide.

I'm curious what you mean by getting two cities worth of faith in the national wonder. The +8 for Grand Temple I see, but I don't get what you mean by the other +5.

CS to have more an independent streak, even their own policy goals.

Portugal to have revamped UU so it has a cool down, and it's UB to be able to built outside CS i.e. on foreign trade routes in non civ territorial areas for +:c5gold:

Better Diplomacy, more resolutions less wait time as well.

Actual Diplomats that can be created the current system is incredibly stupid. Spies are Spies, Diplomats can be Diplomats.

Bring back trade routes on rivers!

Resources galore: Tea, Pepper, Tobacco, Coffee, Ginseng, Obsidian, Coco, and yes even Opium. All Commodities subject to trade i.e. Rice, Bananas, Fish, Pigs, Deer, Wheat.

Revamped much more detailed Civlopedia please Firaxis!

Ton more ideas but would never make it into the game.

While you can't get the exact pointy stick numbers (although really, what do those correlate with, anyway?), you can always get a sense of relative military strength by checking what the military adviser says. He'll go through every known civ and comment on your strength relative to theirs. It's basically the only useful thing about the adviser panel.

My experience points otherwise (though to be honest I haven't checked it in BNW), it doesn't account for military strength, it accounts for numbers. That said, your adviser will believe that you will get creamed by 20 warriors when you have 10 main battle tanks. This has happened three to times to me.

* At some point - after a few civs have ideologies, most likely, but long before a cultural victory is on the table - all of the city-states adopt ideologies.

Add a complete overhaul to the diplo victory and make the AI actually plan on how to use the WC and I am sold.

This would be great, they already have personalities (irrational etc) so why not tie them to specific ideologies once those kick in?

DAT ONE ^

I agree with this partly. You see faith generation can supplant temples and shrines by other means: Beliefs and wonders most of the time. You can have a four city empire without temples and generate an gigantic faith amount. I even found my first religion the other day without a single shrine or ruin (Hagia Sophia). Then I build the new faith wonder (the one with missionaries) and chose the faith per city belief and bingo.It can be done but it requires focus and is a gamble (as it should IMHO).

the ability to see available trade routes if a city were to build a harbor/caravansary/had the compass range bonus (without needing compass/horseback riding). This would be a nice UI addition without having to manually count squares to figure out whether it's worth going for compass at a given time.

upgrade costs for units in the civilopedia. This would be a very easy fix, and it would be very helpful.

I would like a "People with the nukiest nukes" pop up.

Top Bottom