Fall Update 2017 BUGS

Apart from that : could someone kindly summarize how to actually fix this myself? I see some solutions here and there, but I did not quite understand if they fix the problem completely or if I'll have to deal with other problems then. And what code has to be replaced by which code and where in which file?

Highly appreciated.

Hotfix for starting locations bug in Fall 2017 patch

Go here
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/assignstartingplots-lua-from-v-1-0-0-167.26501/

Download and unzip the file

Use file to copy over the existing assignstartingplots.lua

File path-
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Maps\Utility

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, alert seems to be broken again - units do not properly wake up.

Additionally, it seems that a city attack no longer blocks 'next turn'.

I am playing with all official DLC and no 3rd party mods.

After building a barracks, you are still offered the choice of building a stable (not grayed out), but cannot select it.
I'm fed up with having to work for a couple of weeks to sort out the problems caused by these updates. Who is writing these and is any testing done on them. Think I'll leave it a couple of weeks and see what transpires.
Or go back to WoW.

This is *again* a bug with the mod you are using. The base game alert works fine for me. Perhaps you need to reinstall.

Anyine else been getting screen freezes that require you to turn computer off and on?

I've had four now.

For those who can't place a district, I believe this an issue with the NQ Enhanced User Interface mod (but it could be due to some other mod). In any event, I found out something interesting when trying to test this. I disabled all mods but when I started a new game and loaded a saved configuration, it automatically opens the game with the mods that were used when I saved it. I suppose that makes sense but it is a trap for the unwary. To get around this I saved a new config from a vanilla setup (ie no mods) and now I can place districts.

I've seen a russian Galley with my own scout. They've been right next to me - no contact.
After becoming souzerain of Palenque big chunks of map gets revealed - I see some other CS I didn't meet yet - no contact. Palenque galley moves next to Jerusalem (I'm nowhere near!) - contact.

using zero mods right now!

Not that it needs validation at this point but can add my +1 to the broken starting locations problem. After the bugs of the summer patch, I put the game down, telling myself that I'd pick it back up when issues got resolved in the next patch...... which, well, they might have done! but of course there's this much more pressing issue. civs starting 3-4 tiles away from other civs, civs starting next to natural wonders and city states....... it's absolutely 100% unplayable.

glad to know a community fix is out there but for now the file seems to be dead :( hopefully someone will reupload it.

another... odd issue i've encountered-- and I have not tested this extensively, so it could be.... coincidence? but with four separate attempts at an all around Normal, no-mods, standard-continents-randomly selected players game, the AI players have all been exactly the same. I usually mess with the resource/sea levels/etc before a playthrough, so I'm sure the AI was set to random for each one. but I have only encountered India, Germany, the Aztecs, Egypt, and the same handful of city states. I haven't seen anything about this so I assume it's something minor I'm doing that's bugged-- I've been trying to play as Gilgamesh each time, maybe that's it? but it's a strange situation, if more easily fixed than the other.

sigh. hope this is dealt with quickly.

Attachments

• 20171021204453_1.jpg
    20171021204453_1.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 151
It looks like Alert is broken again. Barb scouts are walking past my units on alert without being noticed, pillaging my traders...

Can confirm this.

As others have mentioned, alert seems to be broken again - units do not properly wake up.

Additionally, it seems that a city attack no longer blocks 'next turn'.

I am playing with all official DLC and no 3rd party mods.

I do get prompts for city attacks but not for the encampment attacks.

I think I understand why AssignStartingPlots.lua misbehaves the way it does. The fallback code consistently uses this logic, where X increases as you pass more validity checks:
Code:
if(validity test fails) then
    bValid = false;
else
    local iFallBackScoreTemp = X;
    if (iFallBackScore <= iFallBackScoreTemp) then
        pFallback = pTempPlot;
        iFallBackScore = iFallBackScoreTemp;
    end
end
The apparent intent is to choose the plot that passes as many checks as possible, if it's not possible to pass all of them.

I think the <= comparison is the root cause of the problem. The game checks plots from best (very fertile) to worst (arctic wasteland). Using <= to check the validity score means that the game will keep updating the fallback when validity scores are tied between two plots. Roughly speaking, that means it will choose the worst possible tile that hits a given validity score. If the problem is that there is not enough room left between civs, it will effectively throw the remaining civs together in the arctic.

If my suspicion is correct, then probably the easiest fix is to replace all of those <= tests with < tests instead, and increase all of the X scores by 1.

I tried just replacing all the "iFallBackScore <= iFallBackScoreTemp" with "iFallBackScoreTemp > iFallBackScore " and it seems to work. This way it only selects the new plot once it has found a "better" starting spot. I haven't done a thorough comparison to Summer starting positions, but it is a definite improvement over the bug in the Fall patch. In my opinion there is a lot that could be improved within AssignStartingPlots.lua.

Reactions: BWS
I tried just replacing all the "iFallBackScore <= iFallBackScoreTemp" with "iFallBackScoreTemp > iFallBackScore " and it seems to work. This way it only selects the new plot once it has found a "better" starting spot. I haven't done a thorough comparison to Summer starting positions, but it is a definite improvement over the bug in the Fall patch. In my opinion there is a lot that could be improved within AssignStartingPlots.lua.

:goodjob:

When I examine Firaxis' map scripts I increasingly find lots of things that can be improved (which I have improved on in my Scrambled maps) :p

civs starting 3-4 tiles away from other civs

On higher levels (e.g: Deity) this is an exploit. When the AI spawn next to each other they will walk their other settlers allowing you to capture them with a Warrior Rush :D

Last edited by a moderator:

I have uploaded the file as a mod here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/fall-2017-start-position-fix.26509/

If anyone tries it, please feedback if it does not work or if it is an improvement on Summer 2017.

Edit: I am an idiot and included a bad .modinfo am fixing now

Edit2: Fixed now (I hope)

Last edited:
Noticed a bug with the pins again. Create a new pin and it replaces the one before it, icons and text.
The map pin scripts have only changed superficially since the last update. Does this problem only happen after you delete a map pin? If so, that is a long-standing bug. I made the Map Tacks mod to fix that one. The pins seem to work fine with my mod in the new version, although I have only tried it with a game in progress, not a fresh game.

Top Bottom