Fallout: The Rebirth of Civilization

Greetings enthusiasts of this game. First of all, I want to thank those who made sure that this mode did not disappear. I recently returned to the Fallout: The Rebirth of Civilization scenario. The game works as it should, but sometimes it crashes. It does not display any error, it simply restarts the PC. Can you advise me what could be causing this? I play it through Steam on Win10 Pro. Well thank you.
Greetings! Is the crushes appear in Fallout scenario only, or in usual Civ3 gaming too? If it's just during scenario playing, than it may be connected to over-multiplying Tribals or a Deathclaws. In my own experience I saw such a situation, when AI's turn was as long as minute or so! And yes, in such a lengthy turns game crushes sometimes. It took a massive eradication of Tribals to make a gaming more stable. In my own addon to Thorgrimm's mode I've try to fix this by means of increasing the cost of Tribal units and by enlarging the cool-down time for Tribal-producing buildings.

Unfortunately, I can't answer the question for sure, but it will probably just be this scenario. It wasn't that long ago that I played this game and other fan made scenarios on Steam and I never had this problem.

Unfortunately, I can't answer the question for sure, but it will probably just be this scenario. It wasn't that long ago that I played this game and other fan made scenarios on Steam and I never had this problem.
Well, than it must be "too-many-Tribals" bug I 've seen in my playing this scenario. Try to cleanse the map from the most of these Tribal Spearmen and things must get way better :ar15: You may also play with my version of Thorgrimm's Fallout scenario: there I had adjusted the rate of Tribals multiplying.

Well, than it must be "too-many-Tribals" bug I 've seen in my playing this scenario. Try to cleanse the map from the most of these Tribal Spearmen and things must get way better :ar15: You may also play with my version of Thorgrimm's Fallout scenario: there I had adjusted the rate of Tribals multiplying.
Oh wow.. somehow I completely missed your post. Guess that sometimes happens when it's in the unlucky position of last post on a page and then someone posts right after you kicking off a new page.

Thank you for creating an improved big fixed version of this excellent scenario. I'm sure people will enjoying trying it!

Very true, I missed the post as well, and I already threw in the towel on trying to fix this scenario myself, since it started being a very involved process very quickly, and there wasn't much information on how things were supposed to be to be found on the forum, so thanks for the fixed version! I'll be downloading it now and giving it a spin since the Fallout Liberty mod just left me craving for a more fleshed out experience, as fun as it was to conquer the wasteland with the Supermutants.

Edit:
There seem to be some missing pediaicon.txt entries for the new wonders, and I didn't see any art for them either while I was browsing through the files.

Last edited:
Very true, I missed the post as well, and I already threw in the towel on trying to fix this scenario myself, since it started being a very involved process very quickly, and there wasn't much information on how things were supposed to be to be found on the forum, so thanks for the fixed version! I'll be downloading it now and giving it a spin since the Fallout Liberty mod just left me craving for a more fleshed out experience, as fun as it was to conquer the wasteland with the Supermutants.

Edit:
There seem to be some missing pediaicon.txt entries for the new wonders, and I didn't see any art for them either while I was browsing through the files.
Awww, I'm sort of swamped in my own versions of the scenario :-( This Pediaicons obviously is from an early version where I didn't implement that Western West-Point wonder. It must be for unchanged Thorgrimm rules... I just wanted to send my actual Pediaicons file for Mk2 version of scenario, but it would demand a set of a new graphics and unit models I've already added.
So there you are: a must-be-working version of a Pediaicons, coupled with an updated Civilopedia. Just rename these and copy to \Text folder. New Civilopedia lists many things that actually were not in Mk1 version, but with existing links must be fine.

Attachments

• PediaIcons_Fl_WMMk1.txt
    68.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Civilopedia_Fl_WMmk2.txt
    383.8 KB · Views: 3
Sorry to disappoint you, Arexander :-( My message with updated Pediaicons file attached still waiting for moderatiorial approval, so here is the quick fix. Just add these 2 sections to Pediaicons.txt of the modified scenario:

#ICON_BLDG_Vault_Dweller_Memorial
SINGLE
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\VaultDwellerMemorialLarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\VaultDwellerMemorialSmall.pcx
#ICON_BLDG_GECK
SINGLE
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\Epiclarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\Epicsmall.pcx
#ICON_BLDG_BOS_Academy
SINGLE
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\BOSOutpostLarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\BOSOutpostSmall.pcx
#ICON_BLDG_WWest_Point
SINGLE
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\e-waterfiltrationplantlarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\e-waterfiltrationplantsmall.pcx

- section one, for the new buildings, and
#WON_SPLASH_BLDG_G-Kennel
art\wonder splash\military academy.pcx
#WON_SPLASH_BLDG_GECK
art\wonder splash\GECK.pcx
#WON_SPLASH_BLDG_WWest_Point
art\wonder splash\War Council.pcx
#WON_SPLASH_BLDG_BOS_Academy
art\wonder splash\War Council.pcx

- section two, for the splash screens.

Almost forgot, section 3 for the new units:

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Ghoul_Runner
Ghoul SMG
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Nightkin
NightkinWarrior
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Ghoul_Sniper
Ghoul Rifle

Hope this helps!

That worked, and I haven't received any other crashes so far in the game. Tribals seem to be still way out of whack, destroying basically everyone around them. Seems like they still have the 3 Power Armour Mk2 units at 57,5 (which I think used to be a Tribal city as well) instead of 3 Tribal Spearman, as a result of Thorgrimm deleting the Hummer unit from the game, which changed a lot of the units on the map to the one below them in the unit list. It was reported to him and he says he fixed it along with some other issues, but he never released the fixed version of the .biq from what I found on the forums.

Far-Go Traders also have two Sarge units which I feel like they shouldn't have, though I didn't see any mention on what they were supposed to be while I was searching the forums. The unit list says they should be Pop-Up Turrets, which I feel is a bit weird given their starting location away from any cities, so I'm wondering if they were supposed to be Hummers originally.

That worked, and I haven't received any other crashes so far in the game. Tribals seem to be still way out of whack, destroying basically everyone around them. Seems like they still have the 3 Power Armour Mk2 units at 57,5 (which I think used to be a Tribal city as well) instead of 3 Tribal Spearman, as a result of Thorgrimm deleting the Hummer unit from the game, which changed a lot of the units on the map to the one below them in the unit list.
You're right, but I was wrong thinking I've fix this as far as in my Mk1 version. In fact, I did it later. This Mk1 intended to be as little changed as possible, so it bears only slightest changes on the map and mostly preserved Thorgrimm's design for units and factions. Today I've manage to sort things out and to pack a revised packs for my Mk1 version (the one you were downloaded and tried before) and much more revised Mk2 version. Both packs I intend to attach to my next message and hope these files will come through OK.

Sort of patchnote for both versions see below.
====Mk1 version====
List of a new units:

Brainbot;
Cultist (scouting unit for Mutants);
Ghoul Runner (scouting unit for Ghouls);
Hummer;
Nightkin.

List of a new buildings:

B.O.S. Academy wonder of the world;
G.E.C.K. small wonder of the world;
Ghoul Recon Undertaking small wonder of the world (actually, it has replaced the bugged G-Kennel building);
Vault Dweller Memorial wonder of the world;
Western West Point wonder of the world (actually, it has replaced the useless E-Water Filtration Plant).

==List of a known bugs of Mk1 version==

1. Bugged Join City function of a some bombarding units. It seems the right thing to do (I thought if it cost some population than you must have an option to join it back). But both Bombarding and Joining City is the same (B) key on keyboard.
!!So if you try to bombard somebody from inside your city, pressing <B> just made your unit to join a city and thus to disappear without any warning!!
You have to mouse-click on a Bombard menu to avoid this bug.

Namely these bugged units are:

Mortar,
Mutant Rocket Launcher,
Ghoul RPG,
Vertibird,
BOS Airship.

This bug is fixed in my later Mk2 version (I've just removed the Join City function from these units).

2. (Not checked myself but it must be there):
!!When playing Robot faction you could not select a Scurry Bot unit for production even when all prerequisites are met.
If your city's Governor suggest to build it the unit must be built OK as far as you didn't change the production manually.
The cause must be hidden faction-specific technology (Robotics) as a prerequisite for the unit.

In my later Mk2 version the bug is transferred to Protectron unit but still there. I plan to fix the bug in my suggested Mk3 version.

3. Radiation Magnet and Laser Weapons advances are not visualise correct prerequisites in a tech tree, though worked as I suggested to:
Radiation Tampering prerequisite for Radiation Magnet,
Hyperalloy Armor and IR Tracking prerequisites for Laser Weapons.

This bug is fixed in my later Mk2 version.

4. EoTC Scoutbot Facility produces not Scoutbots but Scurry Bots, despite the building's name.

This bug is fixed in my later Mk2 version.

5. (Maybe not bug but feature for it was there from initial Thorgrimm's design):
Too strong not-human-playable Northern Tribes faction with their unlimited Tribals units and three pre-placed endgame Power Armor MK2 units on the map.
Left to their own devices could overrun almost any other faction and crammed the map with a HUGE hordes of Spearmen to the limit of game crush.
In fact, I even worsened this by activating the previously bugged Tribal Barracks building for the Nothern Tribes and by allowing them to build a Radscorpion unit.
So, it is STRONGLY recommended to destroy Northern Tribes faction as early as possible, or at least limit them to no more than two cities total.

I've try to fix this bug in my later Mk2 version (removed these PA units from the map, made tribal units more pricey to build and lengthened cool-down time for Tribal-producing buildings).

6. (Maybe not bug but feature for it was there from initial Thorgrimm's design):
Bugged Luxury resources' icons in a City screen, not corresponding to actually available Luxuries.
Must be caused by too many resources marked as Luxury.

I plan to fix the bug in my suggested Mk3 version, just by changing the category of 2 Luxuries to Bonus resources.
This must left a basic number of 8 Luxury resources and, I hope, would work OK with the icons.

====Mk2 version====
Mk2 version, finished February 2024, is my second attempt to reworking Thorgrimm's Fallout: The Rebirth of Civilization scenario.
Base version of Thorgrimm's rules I started with were a version 1.13 with a Fallout.biq dated August 06, 2008.
Mk1 version (that was a base for this here Mk2) I've finished October 2023.

Here I have added two new civilizations and placed them on the map:

* Raiders & Slavers Corp. (pre-made by Thorgrimm himself, but not finished and not implemented before);
* Mutant Liberation Army, or just MLA (brand new faction utilising previously unused "Children of Heaven" graphics).

Raiders are forbidden to build any Settlers and not human-playable.
Sort of "Tribals with guns" faction intended to give the Tribals some pressure and deterrence right from the start (both AI-controlled factions started close to each other).

MLA is fully human-playable but handicapped by lacking of pre-made cities, only two Civilization strengthes instead of usual three, and a cut starting budget (3500 caps instead of usual 4000).
Ah, and they are the only human-playable Human faction WITHOUT a Human resource right on the start location. Player have to think how to deal with the situation :)
MLA supposed to be refugees from Midwest and offering a player somewhat more challenge than other playable factions.
Technically, this is Human faction by available techs and buildings, but most of their combat units are Ghoul. Three types of Super Mutant units are allowed too (Flamethrower, Minigunner and Rocketeer), as good as one specific Deathclaw-producing building.

Plenty of units are renamed to make it easier for a fresh player to understand and search scenario's Civilopedia (all Powered Armor units are now start with "Power Armor" words, for example).

Total list of a new (not just renamed and revised) units:

* Ghoul Runner (scouting unit for Ghouls);
* Ghoul Sniper (invisible unit for Ghouls instead of usual Sniper);
* Hellion VTOL ("air" transport unit for Robots);
* Hummer;
* Missionary (scouting unit for Mutants and BoS, ex-Cultist of Mk1 version);
* Nightkin (endgame invisible and stealth-attacking unit for Unity Mutants);
* Robobrain (AKA Brainbot);
* Schooner (early naval transport);
* Tank (endgame Blitz unit for the factions that lacks access to the most powerful Power Armor units).

Total list of a new buildings:

* B.O.S. Academy wonder of the world;
* Deathclaw Hatchery (MLA specific building);
* G.E.C.K. small wonder of the world;
* Ghoul Recon Undertaking small wonder of the world (actually, it has replaced the bugged G-Kennel building);
* MLA Lab (MLA specific building);
* Neural Grafting Plant (Robot-specific Robobrain factory - it has replaced the nearly useless Recycling Plant);
* Vault Dweller Memorial wonder of the world;
* Western West Point wonder of the world (actually, it has replaced the useless E-Water Filtration Plant).

Here in Mk2 version I've also reworked the map: repositioned some resources, clear some wastes here and there, and added 5 more small islands in the ocean (yes, its against the realworld Californian map, but... Come on, folks, these ocean squares in game are too big and almost useless!).
And, yes, I finally removed from the map these pre-positioned endgame Power Armor units. Now there are only two mid-game units of Power Armor right from the start: one for BOS and another for Enclave.

There you are, the post with attached files of a reworked Torgrimm's Fallout scenario. Just pick a desirable version of my add-on, download it and unpack to the folder containing Thorgrimm's Fallout. Mk1 is less changed, Mk2 is much more seriously reworked (see tread above). Both archives contains readme file which explains the changes made. But war - you know, war never changes...

Attachments

• Scn_Fallout_Rebirth_Thorgrimm_WM_Mk1.rar
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
By some reason the more bulky Mk2 version have not attached before, so here is a separate post with it.

Attachments

• Scn_Fallout_Rebirth_Thorgrimm_WM_Mk2.rar
    6.1 MB · Views: 9
Bugged Luxury resources' icons in a City screen, not corresponding to actually available Luxuries.
Must be caused by too many resources marked as Luxury.
I think this is actually caused by the luxuryicons_small.pcx being out of date compared to the luxuries actually used in the mod. You can find the file in Art\city_screen.

EDIT:
Also, I noticed that Civilopedia says that the Perimeter Defense can be built in all size cities, but that isn't true, since it has a bombardment defense value.

Last edited:
I think this is actually caused by the luxuryicons_small.pcx being out of date compared to the luxuries actually used in the mod. You can find the file in Art\city_screen.

EDIT:
Also, I noticed that Civilopedia says that the Perimeter Defense can be built in all size cities, but that isn't true, since it has a bombardment defense value.
As for luxuryicons file: outdated or not, it bears only 8 unique slots for luxuries, but here in .biq file rules we have as much as 10 luxuries. Personally, I've never saw a properly working mod or scenario for Civ3 with more than 8 luxury resources, so I think that's the issue.

As for Perimeter Defence: I didn't edit this particular Civilopedia entry at all. Having not tampered with the building's properties, I just left both building and its Civilovedia entry as they were. Thorgrimm's text for it is like that:
===
^A [Perimeter Defense] can be built in any size settlement and provides a 5% bombardment bonus and a 50% defensive bonus to units defending in the town.
^
^Perimeter Defenses can only be built in a city that has [Wooden Pallisades].
===
How do you want me to change this text? Maybe just cut off the words can be built in any size settlement?

If you want to keep the building the same, then yeah, cut that text. You could also just take away the bombardment defense to allow it to be built in all city sizes, which, in my opinion, would be closer in line with the original vision for the building, at least based on the civilopedia, and also provide more flexibility to the building, rather than forcing people to rush it while the city is small, or not getting it at all as happens to a lot of the earlier cities if you don't get the tech for it very fast. It's a rather expensive building for a small size city to build, when those turns could be used to more productively elsewhere.

As for the luxuries, I honestly have no idea, I haven't really messed with any graphics so far, apart from changing one file to another, so you'd have better knowledge on how things work. It was just something that I thought might be the issue, so I figured I'd bring it up. Although I'm pretty sure I've seen more than 8 luxuries in other mods, CCM2 being one of them, so maybe taking a look there might be helpful.

If you want to keep the building the same, then yeah, cut that text. You could also just take away the bombardment defense to allow it to be built in all city sizes, which, in my opinion, would be closer in line with the original vision for the building, at least based on the civilopedia, and also provide more flexibility to the building, rather than forcing people to rush it while the city is small, or not getting it at all as happens to a lot of the earlier cities if you don't get the tech for it very fast. It's a rather expensive building for a small size city to build, when those turns could be used to more productively elsewhere.

As for the luxuries, I honestly have no idea, I haven't really messed with any graphics so far, apart from changing one file to another, so you'd have better knowledge on how things work. It was just something that I thought might be the issue, so I figured I'd bring it up. Although I'm pretty sure I've seen more than 8 luxuries in other mods, CCM2 being one of them, so maybe taking a look there might be helpful.
I do remember that at least once I couldn't build a Perimeter Defence even in a city with Pallisades, but before I hadn't know the reason for this. I searched the Civ3 editor's help, but couldn't find about it :-( So, you must be right and bombard defence must be the issue. Maybe I'll just remove this defence value later, and, maybe, the Pallisades as a prerequisite. As for pallisades, I plan to lower their builing price and set maintenance cost to zero: now the building isn't worth the chips at all.

I would appreciate it if you give me some more feedback about other changes I've made with balance and upgrade chains in the mod/scenario. The new buildings and units - how do you like them?

About luxuries: there may be some way to make them correctly indicated even if there are more than 8 luxuries... But 8 luxuries is a sure thing, and for me it is qiute enough :lol:

I haven't gotten far with my playthroughs yet, and even then I can't really compare it to how the mod used to be, considering that I only played a little bit of Thorgrimm's original mod before giving up on it due to the numerous issues it had. And then there's the fact that I'm maybe not the best guy to ask about balance since I'm very much a "SimCity" builder, as they say, since I tend to focus on relatively peaceful playing while focusing on constructing all the buildings in my cities before even considering going to war, unless an opportunity presents itself or I get attacked. I mostly speak out when something's obviously broken, and often fix those issues myself whenever I am able, but balancing is something I haven't really touched on nor am comfortable speaking about, but I'll try to bring up whatever I do notice since there doesn't seem to be much traffic here.

One thing I did already notice was that the Tribals very much steamrolled the poor Raiders at the turn of the first and second eras, so the speedbump wasn't quite as big as hoped for them, and the Raider's little island isn't really useful for half the game since the boats and coastal buildings are all in the third era. Another thing I noticed was that I couldn't build the Platform as the Enclave from the start, but I think it's because it has the "Reduces Corruption" flag selected in the wonder-effects, which would make it work like the Forbidden Palace in an unmodded game, so it might unlock once I've settled enough cities.

Then there's also the fact that the combined effect of the innumerable goody huts and barb camps combine into a deadly combo of rushing through the first era in record time and triggering the avalanche of Deathclaws that bury anyone that attracts their ire, though that might be an intended effect since even the tips say to deal with the barb camps ASAP. I'm usually not affected by them since I know to go for the camps quickly, but I think the poor AI is a little overwhelmed by the sheer amount of camps, at least on Regent where I play on. Funnily enough the Tribals seem to be the most effective camp clearers since their troops are fast enough to reach a lot of them before the turn of the era, whereas most of the other factions lack a speedy unit to bust camps with.

Thank you for detailed answer. As for a "SimCity-style" playing, I have to admit that this is my preferable Civilization gaming too :)

About Tribals: seems like they still needed additional nerfing even with all my current modifications. In one of my own playthroughs the Raiders faction really did their thing with Tribals' balancing (by chance, one of the Tribals' cities was culture-converted to Raiders in the beginning of the game) and Tribals wasn't a big problem for their neighbors. But next time it isn't worked, and I saw Tribals "zerg-rushing" the Shi. I even have trouble with them myself on my own territory (that time I playing for NCR, on Monarch level).
For the new version I plan to rework both Tribals and Raiders: convert the Raiders' civ into Caesar's Legion and give them more cities, but less to Tribals (something about 3 cities to Tribals and 4 to Legion). That small island I plan to convert to Tribals; it is of little use but not useless because there are now a resource-free naval transport unit (Schooner) in the beginning of a second era.

The Platform I've corrected according to Civilopedia text, assuming that such was a Thorgrimm's intention. Yes, it must work as a sort of a Forbidden Palace. Having not playing Enclave myself yet, I didn't build it, but I saw AI-controlled Enclave started the wonder. Not finished though, because they switched to Democracy before that :)

Top Bottom